Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #106  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Congrats on the weight loss, meowee!

I've determined that the key for me having lower morning bgl readings is having an evening snack, not just increasing my evening medication. Last week, I ran out of my usual evening after-dinner snacks, so I didn't eat anything after dinner for a few days. The following mornings, my gbl was around 140-155 despite having had 1000mg Metformin with dinner the previous night. Then, last night, I allowed myself a treat of no-sugar-added ice cream with a couple banana slices, fresh strawberries, and chopped almonds. This morning, my bgl was 125. No, I'm not oging to use it as an excuse to have ice cream every night but I will have to be better about keeping good evening snacks on hand.

Of course, I already knew a key to keeping good bgl numbers is eating often and keeping carbs spread out throughout the day, but I guess I just needed to see it in action for myself to really grasp it

I'll be trying some new things this week. I found tofu shiritake noodles to try. I've also never had eggplant, so I bought a regular one and a baby one, and I'll try a couple recipes with those (likely eggplant lasagna with the large one and cubed eggplant in tomato sauce with the baby one). Finally, and the one I'm most excited for, I bought turnips to try a recipe for baked turnip fries.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #107  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good luck with the new vegetables . . . . . . I love turnip and hate eggplant . . . let us know what you think.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #108  

Hi, all. Cool today.BGL's been all over the map. Was 141 this a.m. Had another one of those wierd lows on Friday. I wonder if it's the cinnamon in the roll I had for breakfast. Cinnamon is supposed to lower your bgl. I'm having foot problems. For the last two weeks I've had pain in my foot and right leg. It was caused by my $500.00 orthotics which I've been wearing for years. I have an unstable foot and ankle and something drove it over the edge. I've stopped wearing the orthotics and it hurts much less but I can't walk very fast because i don't have arch support. Guess I'll have to see the podiatrist.
Meowee - wtg with the weight loss!
Jeanne - I used to buy on Ebay but stopped several years ago. A friend of mine used to sell things but she stopped because they kept changing the procedures and it got too complicated. Don't know anything about that package. Take care of that foot!
Jill - eggplant lasagna sounds yummy. I don't like turnips so the fries wouldn't appeal to me.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 245/245/200

Height: 5' 7"

Smile

Well, there you all are! Got no e-mail notices that there were any postings, but I thought that was kinda weird for this group.

I went to the dietician this morning and I guess I wasn't sure what to expect her to say, but I was surprised that she was mostly happy with what I was doing. She has one of those metabolism testers, and I am not losing because I am in my "maintenance zone". She doesn't want to change anything except to pick up the exercise.

Have fun with the new vegies and tofu, Jillybean. Have tried them all and don't like any of them that you are trying, but I hope you like them. I do love lots of vegies. The only one I really disliked growing up was lima beans. It took me a while to get used to a bedtime snack, after all the years of "don't eat at night, or after a certain time). But that keeps me on track.

Have a good afternoon. Gotta get going with my daughter.

kathy
Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #110  
Eating for two!

Alright, I'm doing it--I'm trying the turnip fries tonight! Turkey burgers and turnip fries...I am okay without a side with my burger if they don't work out, and Jeff has a bag of sweet potato chips if he doesn't like the fries

I am very pleased with how my BGLs have been lately. I've been testing more frequently (both before meals and about 90 minutes after dinner), and I've been getting mostly readings in the 110s and 120s. MUCH better than just a few weeks ago when I was excited to see anything below 160!

Has anyone here successfully gotten themselves off diabetes medication? I know it takes time, and I'm certainly not looking to do it yet, but I do want to try in the future. My goal timeline to be off meds is 3 years because I want to be off them before we start trying to expand our family

Last edited by jillybean720; 07-01-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #111  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Well . . . here it is July 1 and an official holiday for us (Canada Day; our version of July 4) and Summer has definitely arrived in northern Nova Scotia -- going to be hot and humid.

ROSETTA, glad to hear that you've gotten a break in the weather.

JILL, I have managed to cut out Insulin and Actos by losing 70 pounds, but may be going back to insulin before long, unfortunntely. You really cannot judge yourself by my results though . . . you should do a lot better because you are getting a handle on things early in the game. I tried to ignore the whole thing for years (that doesn't work, especially with a progressive disease like Diabetes).

TP, way to go with the good report from the dietician.

Weight is still holding at 214.5 and I've decided to break/bend my own rule about using the average weight from the previous month. I really do not want to look at that 219 for the whole of July. So, after I finish my rounds of various 3FC places, I'm going to go and change it. So there.
Wish the BGL was doing as well . . . another 8.6 / 155 this morning.

Where is everybody else hiding? Come out and play, gang . . . always thinking of you, too ROSEY . . . we miss you.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #112  

Cool

Hi, all. usual summer weather, foggy in the a.m., sun in afternoon. BGL 130 this a.m. Eating bad.
Jill - I got off meds about 9 years ago for awhile. Lost weight and jumped up the exercise. Now back on meds. If you're determined you can do it.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #113  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Hi...I am not diabetic but am prediabetic. My dh is type 2. I know that I am insulin resistant. Would it be okay if I join your thread. I could really use the support. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #114  
Onward and Downward

. . . glad to have you with us . . . get rid of any extra weight and improve your eating routines now and you may just avoid getting the "real thing" . . .
Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #115  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

That is what I am really hoping for. Thank you.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 245/245/200

Height: 5' 7"

Smile

Angel. Glad you came to join us.

OOH we got back to hot and sticky today! And these spits of rain aren't enough to fix it. My knee feels like a basketball today.

I'm so glad for you Jillybean. Do you feel like "finally!"? Hope it keeps up. Oh yeah, how were the fries? Never had turnip that way, but until 2 years ago I never had sweet potato fries either. Can't help anyone about meds from the patient side of the bed: never been on them. Now, the nurse side, that maybe I could help with.

Happy Canada Day, Meowee.

My mom did well with her little surgery and despite the rest of the kids making her a little crazy with the phone calls, and her friend sending her to bed once when she was falling asleep in her soup, she sounded pretty good. There's 5 of us and all married, so even 1 call apiece is at least 8-10 calls.

Everyone have a great Wednesday!

Kathy
Old 07-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #117  
Eating for two!

BGL was 130 this morning. I really REALLY hate not being able to control my morning number better. I made sure to have a snack before bed, too, but it was only protein (turkey pepperoni). The previous night, I had a bowl of cereal (organic store brand Cheerios) with sliced strawberries, and my morning bgl was lower. Maybe I need some carbs at night? I'll keep experimenting and tracking...

So...I burned my turnip fries I think I sliced them too thin. I tried the couple that weren't all black, though, and they were pretty good. I will try them again in the future, possibly just fried in a little canola oil on the stove so I can watch them more closely!

I started taking a multivitamin. I checked the label very carefully--no sugar, no caffeine, not even added coloring or anything. I also have been having difficulty getting enough fiber in my day despite increasing my veggies, so I bought a fiber supplement--the kind that is a powder and mixes colorlessly, flavorlessly, and odorlessly into foods and liquids. However, I only used it once before I found a box of individual packets of milled flax seed. The packet of flax has 3g fiber, which is about the same as a "heaping teaspoon" of the fiber supplement, plus it has the good omega EFAs and 2g protein, so I started using those instead of the supplement.

I'm going to try boneless pork chops tonight. I've had pork chops out at restauraants, but never made them myself. My mom always used to cook chops in a pan on the stove, and they were always dry and gross--I grew up HATING pork chops until my fiance convinced me to try his while eating out a couple years ago. I realized I really just didn't like how my mom made them. I think I will try baking mine. Gonna go look up some recipes now...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #118  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Another really hot and humid day -- but the sun is shining. Kind of wish I didn't have to go out -- almost expired in a puddle of perspiration just haling out the garbage at 8 am -- but I really have to get to the grocery store. Cannot tolerate another day without salad fixings.

So help me . . . no matter how long I have this disease, I will never completely understand it. After days, weeks, months of high morning readings; today I get a 5.5 / 99. To the best of my recollection, I did nothing different yesterday or last night.

Anyway . . . hope everybody has a great day . . . see you later . . .
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #119  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
So help me . . . no matter how long I have this disease, I will never completely understand it. After days, weeks, months of high morning readings; today I get a 5.5 / 99. To the best of my recollection, I did nothing different yesterday or last night.
I've been doing a lot of reading on diabetes. A LOT. And not just studies and articles and informative documents, but also blogs and forums of people's personal experiences. The one thing I've read repeatedly, phrased in a variety of ways, is:
The only consistent factor in Type 2 Diabetes is the inconsistency!

You could eat, sleep, and do the exact same things every day for a week, and you could still get varying readings each day. I know you know this, and I know you know it better than I do, but you asked
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #120  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

BGL back up to it's more common morning readings at 8.0 / 144 . Surprised it isn't higher after the evening I had yesterday. Here's the story . . .

I hate to wear my sunglasses indoors but seems I'll have to do that on the Thursday Mall-Crawl today or I will be scaring small children and maybe large adults, too. I had a major hemorrhage in my left eye early last evening. Now, I am prone to these, but usually they are just a little red area and go away in a few days. This one is covering the entire white of the eye which looks almost black, and is actually a little sore (because the eye feels too big for the socket since it is engorged with so much blood).

Yes, before you say it . . . I did go and spend most of the evening in Emergency just so I could be assured that it was just a more dramatic version of the regular problem and the eye was not about to shoot out across the room. The emerg doctor did say that this one, because it is so bad, could take a couple of weeks to totally drain; but other than that nothing to worry about.

Funny timing -- I have to go an pick up my newly fixed glasses at the optician today -- imagine this will be a little distracting for them as they do the final fitting stuff.

Other than that . . . another hot and sticky one with the humidex heading for high 30's/low 40's again (around the 100 mark). I'll just keep trying to remind myself that it won't be long before I'm complaining about the snow again. So it will be a mostly indoor mall-crawl today.

Hang tough, gang and have a great day, filled with lots of fun stuff . . .
Closed Thread