Old 08-06-2005, 03:50 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hmm

Last night didn't go so well. We'll strike it up to that "20%". This morning wasn't great either DH made waffles for DGS's and me. I did opt for the low cal jam instead of syrup. I think that weekends are most difficult for me. I need to get DH back on track with me. When we were going to WW together he really stuck with the plan - now it seems he is continually trying to sabotage my attempts, hopefully after hearing me so "NO" enough he'll give up.

We are off to a country fair to see SIL show her cow this afternoon. I will try to stick to "good choice" snacks if it comes up ... there is always Diet Coke to save me... I just say .... oh I'll just have a diet coke.... or I'm just dying for a coffee or something like that. I'll try to have some of my left over pasta salad before we go. "Well, That's my story and I'm stickin' to it" ... Who sang that a country song?

Time to stop neglecting my DGS ...

catch up with you later.

Hugs
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #62  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Evening ladies!

Oh, I don't know where to start! This marks the end of my second day in a row of absolutely horrendous eating. I seem to do that every weekend. I know the scale won't show any loss whatsoever tomorrow morning, and possibly even a gain. I'll be happy if I break even. Today is Steve's and my 1-year anniversary of our first date, but he had to work late tonight so he took me to dinner last night. Chicken alfredo--didn't eat it all last night, but I had the rest for brunch today--and chocolate lava cake with ice cream for dessert. And today... I don't know. But I did exercise today, 30 minutes of cardio boot camp and 20 minutes or so splashing around in the pool.

And then I sat there eating pizza this evening, wanting to eat more than I did, and actually eating more than I should have, and I'm beating myself up for doing this again. Every stinking weekend I binge. Whatever I want. I've been saying "this has got to stop" for so long about so many things...

Anyway, that's a journal entry waiting to happen (I'm headed there next).

My feet were killing me today when I was exercising. I'm going to invest in some new shoes, and actually figure out my stride and what type of shoes I need and so forth rather than just buying some that look cute and are decently comfy when I put them on in the store. I have to rework my budget for August, but that's ok. I mean, I'll actually have money for new shoes, but I might have to reschedule a few things to get them sooner rather than later. I can't work out in shoes that hurt my feet.

OK, well, Steve should be home soon, and I want to journal before he gets here, so have a good night chicks.

~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:36 AM   #63  

It's late ... the fair was fun ... but a disaster as far as eating goes. I need to just say "ditto" to Elisha's post - weekends are deadly... and it's only Saturday night. Tomorrow should be better. DGS went home, I have a lot of yard work to get caught up on and eating shouldn't be too bad ... Going to a presentation of "RAIN" tomorrow evening ... doesn't involve any food... should be fun

Gotta say 7 POUNDS IS AMAZING Aunty Em. Wow... keep doing what you've been doing it's working for you!

So what we probably need to discuss tomorrow is how to get through the weekends without binging. Who wants to start with some ideas, challenges, thoughts, experiences?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #64  
Bound and Determined

Morning ladies!

Well, 213.6. I broke even with last Monday's weigh-in, but not last Sunday's. I'm much calmer about it right now than I was last night. After all, what's done is done, and the only thing we can do is do better in the present and the future, right? So I'm not waiting until tomorrow rolls around to get back on track. Today will be a good day, no if's, and's, or but's about it.

As for today's discussion topic... well, the "challenges" part is easy. For me, the challenge is being with other people, having meals with other people. I just can't seem to control myself. Like yesterday Mom said "let's have some steak hoagies for lunch," and I replied, "onion rings would be good too." It's like it just happens automatically and doesn't require any input from me. I can hear my logical voice in my head, the one that wants to lose weight, but it's like it doesn't even matter. I just ignore it completely.

As for ideas... I'm probably not the best one to ask. I think that perhaps it would help me to start planning meals in advance. I know, I've been saying that for a long time now, but I think that it's when I let my mind wander and consider all the things I could be eating that I get into trouble. But, I'm not the greatest at planning, but it's worth a shot.

I guess the only thing for me to do is keep jumping right back on the wagon as soon as I can. One bad meal (or two or three) on Friday doesn't mean I have license to eat whatever I want all weekend. It should be a reason to eat even healthier for the next few days. So that's what I'm doing today--eating as healthy as possible. That's all I know to do.

I will say that I'm very glad I made myself exercise yesterday. I didn't do as much as I wanted, because my feet were hurting terribly, but at least I did it, and I got in my minimum, so it counts.

I've decided something else: when I reach my ultimate goal, I'm buying myself one of those right-hand rings. I've been wanting one for a while. The one I want is about $600, so that will be a nice reward. I'm going to put a picture of it on my wall to remind me.

One thing I've realized though is that my goal seems very far away. It never used to bother me to think long-term, as in, "Oh, I've got 40 pounds to lose." But just thinking about it, now that it seems to very hard to lose a single ounce... 40 pounds is going to take a while. So my goal right now is to get below 210 again, that's only 3 pounds or so. That'll take me long enough. Then my goal is 205, then 200. I know that it's going to be hard for me to focus on shorter goals like that, but I think it will help me not get so overwhelmed. I still know the big goal is there, but I'm not going to get there tomorrow, or even this month. I will get there eventually, if I keep heading in the right direction. And I guess that's all I can do.

Anyway, I feel rambly now, so I'll stop. Have a good one, chicks.
~Elisha
Old 08-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #65  

Hi

Elisha... I can really relate. DH just has to suggest something and there I am like Odie the dog...yup yup yup (bobbles head, paws up beggin').

I named that logical discussion in my head a "committee meeting". I think I have to change the rules on the vote "to cave to temptation" to UNANIMOUS (sp)

I'm going to have a tough weekend next week. I'm spending Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at DD looking after DGS & puppies. And the grand finally a family birthday picnic.

I will have no computer acesss - so I need plan strategies now.
- I must take my journal with me
- I must think before I eat
- I must not make this an excuse to binge
- I must remember to keep my long term goal (150by50) in mind
- I must find creative ways to get exercise with the kids (waterslides here we come)

I think maybe I'll try to figure out a visual reminder of my goal... hmmm Maybe the elastic on the wrist thing? I don't know ... that seems brutal

Well I gotta go get my exercise for today... which will be the weekly lawn mowing.

Catch up with ya later.
Hugs.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #66  

Well, I tried to post a note, but I navigated back to "home" and it looks like my note was lost.

I was saying: I won't weigh in early like that again - instead of giving me the incentive to stay on track - I went the other way and pigged out! The first part of the day was good, but after dinner, (later at night while we were watching a movie), my hubby and I shared 3 bags of that outrageous popcorn, I had about 6 popsicles, and 2 pieces of bread with peanut butter! I won't be weighing in early again.

Maybe we should all post our food intake here for Friday, Saturday and Sundays. We might be more inclined to a second thought if we know we are accountable. I think I will try that next weekend. That is going to be really hard! Friday we go to a surprize birthday party for a co-worker, Saturday we have a wedding to attend, (the one where all the guests wear white), Saturday is also my Mom's birthday so we will be celebrating it on Sunday. Maybe I'll just tie a notebook around my neck - that would be attractive!

Planning ahead is also a good idea.

Gotta go - TTFN
Aunty EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #67  
Bound and Determined

Eva, that's a good idea about posting out food for the weekend. I think I will (if I remember!).

I was wandering around in the kitchen just now, on the verge of actually being hungry, but I don't know what I want to eat. Nothing sounds appetizing right now, but I feel like I could just eat everything I see in the hopes that something will hit the spot. Does anyone else get that way?

I was talking to Steve the other night about how I never skip meals. I mean, some people skip meals when they are busy, or stressed, or when they're not feeling well, or whatever, but not me. Even being nauseas doesn't make me skip a meal--I just eat something starchy hoping it will settle my tummy.

OK, now my stomach is actually growling, so I guess I'd better find something suitable. I'm dreading going into the kitchen because I know we don't have a lot of healthy choices in there at the moment, and I don't know what I want. But eating is good for you, as long as you do it right. Right? I know I need to eat. I just feel like a single bite of anything could turn into a binge.

I don't want food to be this worrysome for me. I just wish it wasn't that much of an issue, you know?

OK, I'd better go eat, because I've got other things to do. Wish me luck.
~Elisha
Old 08-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #68  

on my way out .. but had to make a quick post.

Glad to see your right back on track today, Eva. Hopefully one evening won't show TOO much. I think maybe your on the right track for a good idea.. maybe a gold chain with a notebook charm for a reminder :chin or a bracelet (and not on an elastic band either) ...

Elisha - It was great of you to come on line and reason out and plan your strategy in the kitchen. Maybe you are really just thirsty... I sometimes try a large glass of ice water (or a Sleeman's clear light beer) first when I'm in that kind of a frame of mind.

Gotta go... DH is ready.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Hugs
Old 08-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #69  
good rolemodel in trainin

I just found this site, and saw the "challenge" forum and started reading. It sounded really interesting and although it's past the 1st, I'd love to join. I was just on my way to bed, but I'll be sure to pull out my tape measure tomorrow morning and post my measurements and do up a contract.

Just seeing this forum has got me completely pumped. I really hope it works for me. One question, how do you get that chart across the bottom of your message? I have about 80lbs to lose and would to see that as inspiration.
flirtigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:59 PM   #70  
good rolemodel in trainin

Any idea how many calories are burned during child care? I have a 10 month old daughter who can't sit still. She's constantly climbing and getting into everything. After looking at your chart, I'd think it is comparable to house cleaning. Any suggestions on how to calculate that into my day?
flirtigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #71  

Ahhh... this weekend has went by WAY to fast. Eating hasn't been to bad this weekend. I've kept myself pretty busy and moving all weekend. I had my newphew almost of Friday and Saturday so, there was some good exercise. I went to Sears on Saturday and got his pictures taken. I can't wait til they come back so I can post them. He's getting so big, it makes me a little sad but he's getting more fun too! I think I'm going to go get him for alittle bit today too since I go back to work tomorrow and I don't kno when the next time I'm going to be able to get him is going to be.

Talking about work... I'm getting a little nervous about starting my new job tomorrow. I always get nervous when I'm meeting new people, I always wonder what they think of me and wonder what kind of people they really are. But I'm sure everything will go well, plus I'll be up and walking for 8 hours and I think maybe that's really gonna help me get off this 3 week plateau, I hope anyway.

Yesterday me and Jesse went to the mall, he really upsets me sometimes. He says stuff and doesn't think about it first, We were in Victoria's Secret and he was looking at some night gown and says "Want me to buy this for you? Oh, I don't think any of these will fit you." It probably would have been pretty tight, but that's besides the point, he's been saying stuff like this a lot lately... my favorites have been "will that even button" or "I think you're gonna need an 18 still" I think maybe he's jealous I've been trying to lose weight.. I don't know but he's really upsetting me, I've lost 30 pounds and he doesn't even notice! Oh well, not likes he's skinny or anything....

Well enough rambling for right now. I might be back later! Later chickies~
StarAngel2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #72  
Bound and Determined

Morning chickies!

Flirtigirl, welcome! As for how many calories child care burns, you're probably right--it's roughly similar to housecleaning. I use software to track my calorie input/output. I have DietPower (you can download a free trial at www.dietpower.com), but I occasionally use www.fitday.com (it's free online). Both of those programs can calculate your calories burned based on your weight, activity, and exertion. Fitday especially can take a while to set up, but once you get used to it it's very easy and helpful. DietPower is a little more user-friendly, but it also costs about $50.
However, I will say that an average walk burns roughly 100 calories per mile. That changes based on your weight, intensity, and individual metabolism, but that's a good estimate. So to estimate calorie burn, compare your intensity to the intensity of walking a mile. If that makes any sense. If not, just ask me again and I will try to explain a little better.
As for adding the tracker to your signature, click on User CP at the top left of the page, then click Edit Signature on the left. It should give you instructions from there.

Yep, I'm definitely feeling rambly today. I had kind of a pissy weekend, in case you chicks didn't notice. I find it vaguely infuriating that guys have to have things spelled out for them in such blunt terms (i.e. "take me out to dinner" instead of "we don't have anything to fix for dinner"). I swear tact is a foreign language to them.

On Saturday my mom and I went shopping, and at Lowe's I found the tile I want for my new kitchen at 75% off. It would cost less than $50 to do my entire kitchen, compared to the about $200 it would cost were it not on sale, so I brought one home for Steve to look at, and what do I get? "I think you might be putting the cart before the horse," not only from Steve but from my father and brother as well. OK, maybe I am, but we ARE buying the house and the kitchen floor DOES need redone, and shouldn't we SAVE money when we can (especially if it's exactly what I want and it's clearanced, so I might not be able to find it again)? Grrr....

*deep breath* Simmer down, Elisha, simmer down.

Today is NOT a good day.

At least I ate decent yesterday. Under 1800 calories, for once. Barely, but I made it. It's been a while since I've seen that side of 1800. It wasn't all the healthiest food, but there was less of it, and that is a good thing.

I started taking my birth control again yesterday too. I know I said I was going to wait and see how things turned out, but ToM was just getting out of hand again, and I'm not going through that if I don't have to. And I've been wicked emotional, and that's not good either, so I'll just take the hormone-stabilizing pills and be done with it. And it didn't really affect my weight that much anyway.

So today calories are on track. Breakfast was good and I've packed a healthy lunch. Dinner, who knows, as usual. But I'm exercising tonight, without a doubt. At least I can keep that up.

OK, I need to go. There's stuff to do. Have a good one, chicks.
~Elisha
Old 08-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #73  

Hi everybody

Just a quick post this morning before leaving for work. The show (RAIN) was great last night ... but the eating wasn't.... Out for dinner and drinks and snacks before the show. Oh well, this is a new week. BTW I was down 2 pounds.

Welcome flirtgirl. Nice to see you here.... just jump in where we are

Here's Dr. Peeke's tips for Week Two. (from discoveryhealth.com)

Quote:
1) Remember your commitment. Refer daily to the contract you signed to do the best you can during this 12-week program. It will help keep you motivated as you face your daily stresses.

2) Take small steps. Don't feel overwhelmed by all of the lifestyle changes you want to make. Choose one thing each week to work on and stick with it. Commit to walking more each day, or eating more vegetables. Many small steps make for a successful life journey.

3) Stop the carb confusion: Eat smart carbs by getting in 4-5 servings each day of fruits and vegetables. Eat 2-3 servings of whole grains like oats. (Oatmeal is great, for example). Eliminate or minimize the junk carbs: white table sugar, white rice, pasta, bread and potatoes.

4) Protein is what fills you up. Women especially need to keep protein in mind for every snack and meal. It's the nutrient that leaves you satisfied. Lean poultry, red meat, fish and skim dairy are great ways to get it in all day long.

5) Fat is where it's at. But it's got to be the right fat. Olive and canola oils are the best choices. Fat from nuts (one palm full or about 12 nuts) is a great snack. Eliminate or minimize saturated fats found in animal meats (always ask for lean cuts), dairy (use skim), and some oils like palm and coconut, which are used on theater popcorn.

6) Practice mental flexibility so you'll be prepared when life threatens to derail you from your self-care plans. If you pull a ligament and are sidelined from your cardio, for example, use it as an opportunity to concentrate on your weight lifting.

7) Always put on your clothes-o-meter before you step on a scale. Guys grab that belt, and women grab your tight jeans and put them on once a week before your weekly weigh in. The more you exercise and eat well, the faster you'll see changes in your overall size. (The scale sometimes lags behind as your body composition changes.)

8) Try something new. As your body is getting fitter, explore ways you can use it to increase performance as well as have some fun. When was the last time you jumped rope? Shoot some hoop or play any kind of ball with friends. All types of physical activity result in more calories burned and can add more fun to your life.

9) Make sure your exercise shoes are wide enough and padded enough to walk or run in. See a podiatrist if you have discomfort. Padded socks are great cushions for long walks.

10) Don't forget to chart your progress each day in your Food Journal and your Physical Activity Journal. Last, embrace tough days as times to learn how to face up to a challenge and work around it. Expect obstacles to happen and get ready to practice regrouping each time. Remember, mistakes are opportunities to learn and build a strong foundation for healthy living.
I'll catch up with your later.

Hugs.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #74  

Hello All!

I started the month off all wrong......against my better judgement, I stepped on the scale and found that I was within 4 pounds of my highest 'known' weight. Crap. I just threw up my hands and said 'enough!'......here I have been working on this healthy life stuff for over a year and have nothing to show for it. Oh, I know......I ate too much/exercised too little.......it would seem that a semi-intelligent woman who has read all the diet plans, understands the concepts, would be able to be at least halfway successful. There has to be something in my weary little psyche that is keeping me from my goals.......maybe it is low self-esteem?....or no follow-through?......or just my inability to grasp the concept of cause and effect?

Anyway, I chucked the whole program......it wasn't working anyway, so why frustrate myself further? I was going to eat WHAT I wanted, exercise IF I wanted....and I did. Then, today I logged back into 3FC (maybe out of habit or maybe because I knew deep-down I wasn't right), and there was Joy telling me (and I'm paraphrasing here)....."Don't overthink it, just get off your dead butt and JUST DO IT!" It was just the kick in the arse that I needed.....(((Thank you, Joy))).......so now I am officially back on the bandwagon, ready to give it another go....and rather pumped about the whole idea right now.

I know I should be commenting to all of you......you are doing so well and it is so nice to see so many new faces!.......but I am off to retrieve my journal from the trash.....
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #75  
Bound and Determined

Welcome back, MsRD! We were wondering where you'd gotten to. Come hop back on the bandwagon with us! I was exactly where you are last weekend, and now I'm back, and still determined. Stick with us. Group support makes it, if not easier, at least more tolerable.