Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #46  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Well, I am getting better about cutting down the quantity of night snacks, I just have to work on the quality now. It's far too easy to dip into a can of Pringles!

I braved the ozone action day yesterday and got in a 20 minute walk at lunch time in addition to my 30 minute walk in the morning. Today looks like rain all day, so I don't know what I'm going to do for extra exercise today. My apartment is trashed, so perhaps some intense cleaning will count.

6. I keep almonds at my desk for when my blood sugar gets low during the work day, but I've just started packing extra snackies (ie yogurt cups, applesauce cups, etc.) for around 11 and 3 (I eat lunch at 1).

7. I'm trying to set an earlier curfew for snacks. This is where I need to put my foot down with my husband. Without saying anything, he'll just hand me a cookie, then I go on autopilot and take it and eat it. I don't even think about it until 15 minutes later, when I realize that I shouldn't have done that. Either that, or it goes like it happened last night:

My husband was on the couch eating chips and salsa (at least they were baked chips). I was at the computer, looking longingly at the bag, but keeping myself from asking for some out loud. He picked up on it though, and poured me a small bowl of salsa and doled out 1 serving of chips. As if I was using The Force...

8. I've been exercising at a beginner's level for a while now, and I'm ready for a little more. I just don't know if that should mean more intensity, or longer duration. My knees and back aren't in the best of shape, so I'm wary about more intensity.

One of my biggest problems right now is not food or exercise related. I've just been diagnosed with Osteopenia, and I'm supposed to increase to 1500mg of calcium per day. Easy enough, right? Just one more chew during the day. It is so hard to remember that 3rd one every day! Notes don't seem to work. I'm good at taking the one in the morning and the one before bed, but the one after work just keeps elluding me!
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #47  

Okay, time for my measurements... I took them myself so hopefully they're not too far off.

neck: 14 1/2
chest: 42 1/2
wrist: 6 1/2
bicep: 15
waist: 45 1/2
hip: 47
thigh: 26 1/2
calf: 16 1/2
ankle: 9 1/2
weight: 183

6) I'm doing pretty good at this lately. I was taking a container of SpecialK to work to have at my desk to snack on. It's really hard to control yourself from eating unhealthy snack food when you sit at a desk in a little cubical for 8 hours and everyone around you is offering chocolate and little candies all the time. I finally had to say "please dont give it to me anymore, even if I ask for it, don't give it to me!" When I start my new job on the 9th, I'm really going to have to watch myself because I'll be working at a pizza place and I'll be cooking sometimes plus, they give you $5.00 worth of food everyday for lunch, so I have try not to take to much advantage of that!

7) I worked on this last night, Jesse (my fiance) wanted me to go out to a little resturant last night about 11pm so that he could get something to eat, I had already eaten dinner so, he wanted me to just get some cheesecake or icecream to eat. I told him no, he could order it and pick it up. Then he kept asking me if I wanted to order something to and I kept saying NO! I'm proud of myself cause it's one of my favorite places to eat and I LOVE their cheese fries! and I also refrained myself from buying any icecream yesterday although I did see a new Ben & Jerry's low fat Half Baked ice cream, i didn't do it!

8) I took last week off from exercising (and eating healthy) and I'm regretting it now. The week before I was exercise everyday for about an hour and this week I have to keep taking little breaks, it's wierd how your body works but i just have to keep at it til I get back to where I want to be. I've also been trying to go swimming a couple days for exercise and getting in a little bit of bikeriding, even if it's just riding around the lake once.

Welp, I gotta go clean, YIPPEE!
StarAngel2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #48  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Just two more days...

and I'm on my way to vacation!!!!

I promised myself (and everyone around me that counts) that when I get back from vacation, I am going to hit this thing hard...that is really focus on losing the weight that I put back on over the last several months plus some! YEA!!! But for now...I am still struggling...

I did not eat lunch today, but had 2 choc. chip cookies around lunch time. Breakfast was Shredded wheat and blueberries. I just ate a piece of cheese and 1/2 swiss roll (or whatever those nasty chocolate things are called). There are 3 of them left in the snack basket on the counter and I need to just throw them away! I dont' even like them! Blech! I need to drink some more water today. I've only gotten in about 20 oz. so far and a diet coke along with my coffee this morning. Yesterday I did 60 oz. which is more than I have drank in a long time. Felt good!

I finally got the adhesive for my foot so now I can tape it and see how it feels! Today my foot is not as sore, but I was not walking on it as much. My work partner offered to do afternoon activities for me today so I could get some much-needed paperwork done! It's caught up now, so I feel a bit releived about going on vacation! Of course, I'm still taking some really overdue stuff with me to get caught up, but the important stuff is done! YEA!

I did walk to the grocery store today (across from work). It is only across the streeet, but at least it's something! Not much else to report!

You all are doing so well. Jessica, I see that you have lost another 2 lbs! You go girl!!! You are catching me and I remember when you were trying to get to One-derland!!! I'm so proud of you!

Elisha...Morning exercise makes me feel so energized during the day...if I can just drag my butt out of bed! You are doing awesome. Did you weigh today or are you wating??? Good girl!

Betani...you must have an awesome husband who can read your mind like that! Too funny! Great job on the walking...even in this heat! UGH! Did you take your calcium today??

Joy...Thanks for being supportive...always!

AnutyEm...That cheesecake sounds great. How big are the "packages" of Splenda? I buy it in bulk. I'm assuming it means the teaspoon sized package. But you never know...

Purple...don't hurt yourself with all that exercise! That's what happened to me...too much of a good thing CAN hurt! Be sure to stretch after you are done! So important. And do plenty of other muscle building exercises (like butt squeezes, bicep curls, etc.) along with all that cardio. It will help metabolize faster and it won't hurt that you will start to feel some "curves" too!

I sure wish Lisa and Jennifer would join us here! Maybe by the time I get back from vacation, one of you will have talked them into stopping by!

Hugs to all!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hey I'm actually posting early tonight - it's 6pm here Elisha .

Today was a good day. I have had 60 oz of water so far (just gulped down 2 glasses so I could have an impressive total

I got before dawn and did my WATP 2 mile express with Leslie and 10 minute (ouch) ab workout.

Food is good so far, I think - haven't added it up yet. Porridge oats, yoghurt and jam for breaky. DH bought me a small slice of spinache quiche to pack in my lunch and it may have been a bit high but I'm guessing it's 10 points, and I had carrots and a clemintine (cross between a nectarine and a mandarine orange) and, of course, the dreaded Dinner tonight will be chicken breast and pasta salad which is like a greek salad with pasta added, it's a new creation of mine.... samples taste good (gotta add those blt's - bites, likes and tastes - to my points total) and I haven't added the feta cheese yet. Wow - what a sentence (maybe it should be two - too late now).

So - any topics we should discuss for the weekend? I would like to keep the focus going into next week - we still have a few areas to look at - anyone? If we list the up coming topics for Friday, Saturday and Sunday then everyone will have to check in to see what we said about them... Hopefully these mind game tactics will work If not - we'll have to resort to bribery....

Well better go and see how the chicken is doing.... may catch up with you all later!

XOXOXO
O Joy X
XOXOXO

PS Elisa - I love you smiles for positive days... so I'm going to "swipe" your idea. K?
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #50  

Default Pushing on

Ok, so it's only day four but I can't help but feeling like I'm already failing. I've been taking a 30 minute walk everyday, which is great for me because I am normally very sedentary. I just feel like my eating has been all over the place, eating junk and overeating at too many meals. I really need to cut back on my portions. I think we just need to remember to take it slow, one day at a time. We've got twelve weeks to get it right! I hope everyone else is feeling strong.
curlygal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:26 AM   #51  

Hi Caroline,

You are so right - we must do this thing right - one day at a time - making new and life long lasting habits.

You need to focus on the positive things that you have done.

YOU HAVE BEEN WALKING FOR 30 MINUTES EVERYDAY now that definately deserves a WOO HOO
YOU HAVE BEEN MINDFUL OF YOUR EATING HABITS and making note of where you think improvements need to be made
YOU HAVE COMMITTED TO A 12 WEEK PROGRAM TO INCREASE YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING and you are still posting.

That's three things I can see just from reading your post... I'm sure there are more.

How's the water drinking coming?
Have you been investigating a eating program that will work for you?
Have you selected a plan?
Have to tried to eliminate just one eating scenario that leads to overeating?
Do you try to eat every 3-4 hours?
Are you getting enough sleep?

This challenge is about feeling good about ourselves and our choices and making slow but sure changes that will lead toward a healthy and happy future.

We're here to help each other - let me know what I can do

Hugs,

Last edited by JoyG56; 08-05-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #52  
Oddball

Just take it one thing at a time, Curlygal! It's great that you're getting your walking in. As you get used to one lifestyle change, it'll be easier to incorporate the next small change. Before you know it, your life will be turned around for the better!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #53  
Oddball

As long as the weather's been good, I've been able to get in second walks during my lunch breaks lately. Couple that with my morning power walk, and I've been hitting the 250 or so calorie mark each day, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to be doing something else. I probably should be doing callestenic-type exercises, but I'm not good at doing that type of thing without guidance. I have a stability ball DVD that I like, but it's 50 minutes long, and I don't always have that much time at once to do it. I'll figure something out, though.

I was looking at the age-specific tips for the 12 week program, and I'm supposed to be getting 3 oz of lean protein at every meal. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to get that much so often!

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going out of town till Tuesday. My grandmother's 89th birthday party is coming up. I hope I can behave myself! I'm bringing printed food and exercise logs with me, and hopefully I can borrow a key so I can get up early in the morning to exercise at the park and come back without bothering anybody that early to let me back in.

We'll see!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:05 AM   #54  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Morning chicks!

Add another good day to my tally! Calories were around 1800 yesterday (I forget exactly, but there were in the somewhere), lots of water (100 oz or so), and 30 minutes on the elliptical, no weights. My body was so tired last night, and my arm is sore this morning, probably because I didn't let it rest after playing catch for an hour on Wednesday, so I'm taking today off from exercise. At least cardio and weights. I might do some yoga or pilates, like I've been meaning to for the past... oh, year or so.

I think calories are going to be a little high today. I made some light French toast for breakfast (reduced calorie bread, skim milk, light syrup), and we're going to Pizza Hut for lunch. This will be my last Pizza Hut day for a while, because our friend that works there is transferring to the one all the way across town. We might go occasionally, but I doubt it will be weekly anymore. *sigh* No more free pizza for me. That's good though, it's not like I really need it.

I have to admit that I was a bad girl and weighed myself this morning. 213.2. I reset my DietPower the other day, and I used the excuse that if I didn't weigh myself it wouldn't get an accurate calculation of my metabolism. And I just wanted to see if I was doing any good with all the exercise I've been doing this week. I'm not. But I also figured out why my weight hasn't budged in a few days--ToM. I stopped taking my birth control pill about a month ago, and my body has been wacky every since--ToM is showing up about every other week! If this happens again, I'm starting the pill again and I'll just have to deal with being fat, because I'm NOT dealing with ToM every 2 weeks, no way no how. I think I'm just all messed up because I stopped taking the bc, and I'll normal out eventually. At least I hope so. I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't know if I mentioned this yet or not, so if I did forgive me, but we got an update on the house. It appraised for more than we're paying, so that's good. We have to put in smoke detectors, ground fault outlets, and replace the entire railing on the back deck (we were planning on doing the detectors and the railing anyway, and the outlets are a good thing, so no big deal). Yesterday we found out that we have termites, not in the house (the house is stone and block, hardly any wood in it at all), but in the wooden borders on the flower beds, which, again, I was planning to replace anyway (I'd rather have stone borders to match the house). So now we have to pay like $750 to have an exterminator come and kill everything. *sigh*

Oh well. At least it will be taken care of, and at least they're not all through the house.

Curlygal, I agree with Joy. You are making progress, and that is what counts. My eating has been kind of crazy too, but it's getting better, so it's ok. It happens. It's very very difficult to change everything all at once. The best suggestion I have is to just focus on one thing at a time, and do it until it becomes habit. If you want to work on exercise, do that. Exercise on a regular basis until it's not hard to make yourself do it (it takes at least 3 weeks to form a new habit), then when you've got that down, focus on drinking more water and do that until it's habit. As long as you're taking those small steps, you're heading in the right direction.

Joy, feel free to use my Smiley idea--I saw other people doing it, so I guess I swiped the idea too! That salad of yours sounds good! I need to find some new yummy salad ideas. We could all stand to eat more salad! Maybe we should revitalize our recipe thread and post some salad ideas. I might do that if I get bored this afternoon. And if you want to pick another couple of topics to talk about, I'll be around this weekend (or at least I should be).

Julie, glad to hear your foot is still improving! You'll have those pounds off again in no time! Isn't it odd how we can end up eating things that we know we don't even really like? I do that sometimes, I think just because it's there. I'll even be conscious of the fact that it doesn't even taste that good while I'm eating, but I'll still finish whatever it is. How crazy is that?

Jessica, WTG on avoiding Jesse's offer of unhealthy food! It is always hardest for me when other people are involved. So good for you for sticking to your guns!

Betani, maybe try getting some of the reduced-fat Pringles, at least they have fewer calories, right? I do the same thing after work--I am just so hungry when I get home I grab whatever is easiest, and it's never healthy. What is osteopenia? I figure it has to do with bones, but I don't know that I've heard of it.

Aunty Em, Purple, how are you chicks doing? Get in here and post!

OK, I've got to get to work. Have a great day, chickies!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #55  
Oddball

Elisha,

Osteopenia is sort of like a step below osteoporosis. My bones are thinning, but it's not critical yet. I have it because I've been getting Depo-Provera shots for birth control for 7 years. The doctor is not overly concerned about it because it's not that far gone, and bones CAN be rebuilt. As long as I get the increased amount of calcium and vitamin D, I should get back to normal. I was also told that weight-bearing exercises may help.

By the way, the Pringles already were the Right Crisps, so at least there's that, right? I probably should look into something with more fiber in it, though. I wish Triscuits tasted better!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Yesterday I will call a sucess for this weeks challenge, since I got 2 of 3 workouts in and the one missed was legit. I had a daughter throwing up all morning, then HAD to spend the afternoon grocery shopping or we would all starve to death, so I just wasn't here to do the afternoon workout. That's okay, still got in 5 miles and made the other two workouts. Today I"m shooting for all 3 workouts, and 10 miles, but we'll see because I have someone from freecycle coming to pick up some things and might have to meet another lady to pass on some of my son's clothing he's outgrown...so this might just be a freecycle day!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #57  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default This is it!

This is my last post until I get back from vacation! I'm pretty much all packed (and re-packed). I have just my bathroom stuff to throw in and then a small bag with all my "techie" stuff to throw together.

I would like to say today was a stellar day, but I didn't really do much but pack and get ready and wrap up a bunch of stuff at work before vacation! I only worked 1/2 day today. Did walk to the video store to get some videos for the residents, but it was a slow walk! I've been up and down our steps at home here about a gazillion times, so that should count for something, right? I've packed like I am going hiking but my gut is telling me that I'm not! I taped my foot today and ithelped, but I still have a lot of pain after being on it all day!

I feel like I am bringing my house with me on vacation, but I think my husband did that when he and DD left for camping a few hours ago! I had to go out to the garage to get some tape and some other misc. things and saw that his bike was still in the garage, so I called him on the cell phone and asked him if he was going to bring it! He came home (was about 20 minutes away) and came and got it. He was ever so grateful because they do a lot of bike riding at the particular campground they are camping at and he said he probably would have driven back home (3 hours) to get it! Guess I saved him some gas $!!!! He did say before he left that he felt like he was forgetting something!

I'm very hungry today (and for the last couple of nights) because I Haven't eaten lunch both days! Sure makes a difference! I had a lean frozen dinner about 4pm but I'm ravenous right now, so I need to go get something to eat!

I will miss all you chickies while I'm on vacation, but I know you will be just fine. I won't be back until the 14th, so Ihope to see lots of positive reports from everyone by then!!!

Hugs to all!!! Good luck!!!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #58  

Just a quick post.... I've got 2X DGS and I'm heading over to my Mom's for dinner. But I did want to fill you in on my progress. Eating was good today, although I did not exercise this morning. I watched /slept through a Tai Chi video I was planning on traing to... oh well tomorrow is another day. I did walk for 15 minutes this morning.

I also wanted to post a discussion topic soo ... I don't think we've looked at this one so here goes?

4) Take action today! Don't overthink your weight-loss and fitness plan. Without pondering and "What if'ing", get up and make that healthy dinner, or take that walk. It's that first step that will build your motivation to keep going.

I interpret this as "JUST DO IT". If you plan it, don't put it off... it only takes a certain length of time or so much extra energy or just a quick thought to follow your plans. At the end of the day (literally and figuratively) you will feel better about yourself. I don't know why I speak in the third person all the time... what I really mean is "I".

So anyways... I am really going to work on planning and sticking to my plan. Procrastination is such a waste of time and energy and guilt.

Hugs

Last edited by JoyG56; 08-05-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #59  
Oddball

Hello, All

This is my last post for a few days, as I'm going out of town for my Gramma's birthday party. I'll be back late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

It took me long enough, so I guess I'll count these as my measurements for week 2:

Neck: 13"
Chest: 38"
Wrist: 6"
Bicep: 11.75"
Waist: 34.75"
Hip: 41.5"
Thigh: 23.25"
Calf: 14"
Ankel: 8.75"
Weight: 154.5 (last Sunday)

I'm strict about weigh-in times, so I won't have that until tomorrow. I went overboard with snacks last night, so I'm not expecting a drop, really. Especially since it's party food tonight.

4. Unfortunately, the "Just Do It" aspect works both ways with me. If I'm debating about eating 1 cookie, I "Just Do It". I have ADD, so thinking things through thoroghly and planning ahead is critical. I'm not always successful, but it's usually the only way I have a chance.

Today is going to be an off day for exercise for me. I'd been doing really well with 2 30-minute walks a day this week, but I was more exhausted than I'd been in a long time last night, so I thought I'd give my body a day's rest. Hopefully I can borrow a key while I'm staying with family so that tomorrow I can get out early and exercise at the local park without bothering anybody.

Well, I've got to go wrap presents, and beg my hubby to take me to the store to buy a pocket notepad for tonight (I don't drive, and I always feel guilty for asking him to take me places. He's happy to, but I can't help feeling that way.)

See you in a few days!
Old 08-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #60  

Hi there: Sorry I haven't posted notes for a few days - I have been reading everyone's notes though. I would like to make a few comments:

Curlygal: I really feel for you! Draw all of the support you can from this group. Eating properly and taking your calcium is a good way of being nice to yourself. I am really pulling for you!

Julie: The packages of Splenda are equivalent to 2 teaspoons each.

I can't recall who it was that posted that she is really strict about weighing weekly and never before. I usually feel that way too. It sounds like she has been doing so great and the next few days weren't going to be her best - I was thinking the scale might have been a help at that point - If she had lost weight it might have made it easier to stay on track even with obstacles. Anyway, I wish her the best.

Me, I weighed 2 days early, (this morning), and I am glad I did. Weekends are usually hard for me. I did great all week with eating right and my activity level. Then last night ate a whole bag of popcorn, (not just any popcorn - Cinnabon Popcorn). I am sure the calories were out of this world! Aside from that: I lost 7 pounds! That definately makes me want to stay on track.

Gotta go - I am off to the fabric store in search of white eyelet lace, (jersey). I am going to a wedding next weekend and all of the guests have to wear pure white. Only the bride and groom will be wearing colored clothing. Sounds great, but I wish they would have picked a color that would have been more flattering for the guests!

I wish everyone a great day. I will post later tonight to see how everyone is doing.
Aunty EM is offline   Reply With Quote