Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #136  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Food, exercise and meds were good yesterday. I controlled my snacks pretty well, and kept my curfew. We got Chinese take-out, but I think I chose well getting the broccoli with garlic sauce. I used chop sticks to take the food out of the carton so I didn't get all the sauce, either.

I exercised 3 times yesterday: 30 minute power walk first thing in the morning, a 30 minute brisk walk at lunch, and 40 minutes on the stability ball at night. Yay me!

I even took all my supplements and meds when I was supposed to. That is a rarity for me.

Work has been blah with scattered frustrations. We are having serious problems with one of our vendors, and may have no choice but to terminate our contract. We received a mystery package (and a bill) from a company we've never dealt with, and now I have to go and find out who ordered it. Beyond that, deliveries of books have been so slow that I have time to write all this out! Oh, well. I guess I'd better enjoy the calm while I can, before all the September book releases flood the acquisitions department. (Did I mention that I work at a library? Oh, well. I did now.)

---------
Flirtigirl-- That doesn't sound like a bad day at all. It's funny how, when you think you've had a bad day, it looks totally different when you write it all out.

Elisha-- That clothes/weight cycle is a bear! I've been investing in belts, mostly. I've discovered that using a pretty scarf as a belt can really liven up an outfit. I put a cute flowered scarf with my most drab outfit and got compliments at work. Feels good I know that time-bomb/impatient feeling all too well. Take some deep breaths, and I hope you feel more peaceful today.

StarAngel-- Congrats on the job! That sounds great . I've been thinking about that "Yourself Fitness" lately. I've seen it on ebay for about $27. Do you like it? Is it easy to follow?

Joy-- I have to admit, I'd never heard it refered to as "Tom" before. I always used to call her "Aunt Flo". I'm bummed that even though I haven't had a visit since 1998 (Depo-Provera shots stopped it), I still get the cramps and water retention. So, I can still relate.

TBJ-- I have the same problem with restaurants. I need to cook at home more. It's just too easy to say "The heck with it" and get in the car, or pick up the phone for take-out. I just went to the grocery last night, so I have no excuse! I'm going to try the same thing and cook every night till the weekend. Good luck!

Hikein2005-- That vacation sounds absolutely wonderful! You did great! We don't really have any mountains here in Indiana, but we do have the Dunes. I don't get to go there often, though, because my husband can't stand sand.

Aunty Em-- Careful with the new med. I hope it works, but sometimes those side effects are scary!

MsRD-- It is hard to go back to work after vacation, even if it's only a couple days! Everything falls back into place soon enough, though. Don't feel bad about that ice cream. You're doing well, and you'll stick with your healthier lifestyle longer if you don't deny yourself a treat once in a while. My philosophy: "Eat as healthy as you can without making yourself miserable".
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hi everyone.... so sorry not much time to post, but I thought of you all when I received this email and wanted to share.... More later tonight Hugs to all

Quote:
The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the ! jar was full.
They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.
Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the
jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and
poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty
space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to
recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important
things---God, your family, your children, your health, your friends and
your favourite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they
remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house
and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff. "If you put the sand
into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the
golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy
on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are
important to you.

"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,
there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

Please share this with someone you care about. I JUST DID.

JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #138  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.
I am digging that idea. Hubby and I are spending so much time fixing up the house that we are ignoring some important aspects of our life. (And no, MsRD, we haven't found a new house yet. We're moving out of state, and waiting for either the house to sell or one of us to get a job; then we'll find an apartment and move my hubby out of the dark, frozen wasteland of Minnesota. ) We are supposed to go out with friends tomorrow night, and Hubby asked me if we had time to do it. I said we should, just because it's important to do those activities. I also have been doing some wifely nagging about, ahem, going to bed early.

Food yesterday was bad, and, no surprise here, it was bad because of the restaurant. I managed to stay under the number of calories that it takes to maintain my current weight rather than gain. Looking for the positive, my long-term goal is to not re-gain any weight that I've lost, so I will count some success in yesterday's eating. OK, Betani, we have only a few meals 'til the weekend/my w/i. I am grocery shopping after the already-planned healthy lunch, and then no more excuses for me, either. Sending you positive thoughts right now.

I almost have healed a certain injury that is preventing me from biking. Should be healed by next week, then I can exercise more. I have walked with Hubby three times this week, for a laughable 10 minutes. Still, at least I am forming the habit of purposeful exercise. And good habits are the point of this thread, right?
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #139  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Tuesday Evening

Where do the days go??? Seems like I just got up and now...it's almost bedtgime again!

The day went well for me. Something like this for food:
B-fast: 1 hard boiled egg, 1 cup coffee w/ s/f powdered creamer
Snack: Really wanted a cookie with the residents, but did NOT~!
Lunch: Salad w/ chicken, cheese & ceasar dressing. 2 servings (totalling 1 cup) cranberry fluff (they make this at work and I really don't know the ingredients, but it is wonderful with a graham cracker crust! Probably NOT in the diet plan, though! )
Supper: We got a new Quizno's here in town, so I had the Chicken something with a bit of honey mustard, a few cheetos (stole my daughters! ) and a couple bites of cream of broccolli soup (from DD, also!)

Water has been ok. Probalby only so far about 40 oz., so I will need to ramp that up a bit tomorrow!

Exercise was weeding the garden for a bit (maybe 20 minutes) tonight, playing with DD (we have a tire swing and she LOVES to have me push her as well as play tag which is more about her running AWAY from me and me being tricky trying to catch her!) and some early morning...ahem...you know!

I'm tired tonight! Probably up too early this morning, so I'm going to go read DD a book and head to bed myself!

Joy...Thanks for the welcome back! Loved the illustration. I have seen that done and most recently on my hiking trip!
" For the next 24 hours, take note of your overeating triggers, as well as the time of day they tend to occur. Anything could trigger overeating, so keep an open mind. "
Today I found that eating when others are eating (usually bad stuff) is "permission" for me to eat that junk too. Time is not important, just that they are eating it! I do know from previous behavior observation that I want something around 3-4pm each day. Today was ok, though. I also find that I am right now thinking about what I am going to have when I am off the computer and have put DD to bed! Hmmmm....Interesting!

TBJ333...I hope your injury heals quickly. It's no fun to NOT be exercising when one wants to be exercising! I'm finding that I think my job is detrimental to my health! I'm on my feet all day long and I am so tired at night and can't seem to crack butt in the am to get moving for some exercise! Playing with DD tonight was all I could seem to muster even though my brain was telling me to go get on my bike!! I just couldn't!

Betani...I have done that too with the belt. It works great and it feels better than a regular "belt"! You are doing so well with your exercise! I plan to start any day now....

Aunty Em...be careful with that medication. YOu don't want to be messing around with your blood pressure or blood sugars! I have never liked the way any of that (even Slimfast) makes me feel! Glad you are keeping hydrated!

Elisha...Great job with the food yesterday. I know you are struggling with that issue (aren't we all?), so kudos to you. Just start stringing one day onto another and soon...SUCCESS!!! Keep going!

MsRD...Thanks for the warm welcome back and I got your PM. Sorry we won't meet, but there is always next year...or sooner! Glad you finally joined in on the challenge. It wasn't the same without you!

Anyone else that I missed, I'm sorry! I hope that all of you have a successful day. In fact, mabye tomorrow we can all come up with just ONE thing that was successful about the day. (More focus on the positive! )

I need to go read to DD and get her tucked into bed! Night all yu wonderful chickies!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #140  
good rolemodel in trainin

I had a good and bad day all in one. Great breakfast (oatmeal, protein shake and green tea), a healthy lunch (fish--I hate fish, rice and 2 servings of veggies) and I worked out while my daughter napped. Then my day went to ****. I think I'm ovulating which is actually more of a trigger for bad food than when the actual tom comes. And my daughter learned how to crawl last week and is also able to pull herself into a standing position using furniture. I'm constantly saying "don't touch", "no", and "stop that". She never stops. She is a very active baby. So as a result of the stress and my hormones, not to mention the psychological factor of not being allowed to have something, I craved chocolate like never before. I made half a package of brownies and ate it all throughout the afternoon. Then I went to pick my hubby up from a "business" drink and ended up having one myself.

I'm not feeling too bad though. I"m making small changes and having 2 healthy meals and my full 100oz goal of water, I think of done well.

Some personal notes:

hikein2005, you did awesome on your vacation. I wish I had such lofty goals. Good for you!

Betani, good job on all the exercise! :

Aunty EM, definetely be careful on any drug. Sometimes the side effects aren't worth it.

Joy, thanks for the stress busters. I rarely have time for any of the ones listed with my daughter but it at least gives me something to think about.

Elisha, I"ve read some to the Dr. Phil book but haven't had a chance to read much lately. Let me know what you think.

Later all,
flirtigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:35 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

It's late ... so sorry for not posting but I feel like *s--t*. Tom doesn't come often anymore but look out when it does. Don't feel much like sitting, so this will be short. I'm afraid I didn't do too well tonight.... about 7 oreo's (before) and 1/2 of a large apple muffin (after) a lovely dinner of grilled steak with crumbled blue cheese melted over (one of my favorites, rice and green beans from the garden. No exercise today and only about 36 oz of water... I know the water would make me feel better ...but...

Well I really have to get back on track... starting with daily exercise.... as soon as I get better, and journalling my food and drinking the water I need.

Will comment to all tomorrow ... keep up the good work you guys

Hugs
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:03 AM   #142  

Dear Joy: I am writing this directly to you! Get back on track right away! You can do it! I know what you mean about TOM, but think how good you will feel when it is over and you have been a good girl!

You have written many things about stress busters - take a look at what you have posted and apply it to yourself. I just know you can do it!!!!
Aunty EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:04 AM   #143  

TOM =
Time
Of the
Month
Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #144  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Morning chicks!

Feeling much better today. I actually had a good day yesterday. Food was a little scattered and random, but calories came in at 1643 (WOO!), water was very good (120 oz or so), and I even managed to exercise (30 minutes elliptical, 10 on the weight machine).

What's more, I got in a little quality time with Steve (after I had a mini-breakdown because I never get to spend time with him anymore). Nothing fancy, we just laid down and watched a movie, but it was good. His schedule changed so now he has off Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and I've got off weekends, and we both get home around 6, then we're busy doing other stuff (cooking, cleaning, etc). He's going to do some paperwork on our house today and says he's going to apply for jobs closer to our house that will have a different shift, so hopefully that will work out and we'll have a little more time together.

Anyway, so yesterday was good. I didn't get to read any more of Dr. Phil's book, but I will this evening. I'm going to exercise again too, cardio and perhaps some calisthenic stuff, or yoga type stuff, but no weights. I might try out some of those toning routines from Self magazine that I was talking about. I might have to break out the stability ball. We'll see. I'd like to get into some sort of regular schedule with all of it. I'm thinking of a 4-day rotation, something like this:
Day 1: Cardio, weights
Day 2: Cardio, yoga/pilates
Day 3: Cardio, weights
Day 4: Rest, optional yoga/pilates

This would give me per week 5-6 days cardio, 3-4 weights, and 2-3 yoga/pilates, which is exactly where I want to be. I am aware, though, that life happens, and it will be impossible to stick to that definite schedule every day forever, but that's the general idea.

Joy, let me second Eva and say this: Get back on track right now!
Find a stress-buster or two that works for you (bubble baths, manicures, and facials do it for me!), and hop to it! So you had a bad day. It doesn't do any good to beat yourself up about it, so get over it and get started having good days. Water, water, water. I find when I don't enough water I get headaches, crampy, indigestion, all sorts of undesirable bodily strain, so drink up! (Oh, and that blue cheese steak sounds really tasty! I'll have to try that!)

Flirtigirl, I get wicked cravings during ovulation too. That's what we get for being female. But think of the alternative: would we really want to be male? **** no! I'm liking the Dr. Phil book a lot, it's giving me some great insights. I'll let you know if I get anything good out of it.

Julie, good job passing up the cookie! WTG! Also, playing with kids is great exercise! I give myself kudos for playing catch with Steve, and chasing after a youngster (she's what, 6 now? Does my memory serve me correctly?) is definitely exercise! We just got a Quiznos too, too good. At least they have some decently healthy options. I haven't tried their broccoli soup, but you've got me craving it now! Mmmm....

TBJ, you're absolutely right--good habits are the point. And 10 minutes of walking is better than 0 minutes, so good job! We all do bad in restaurants. It helps me some to plan, or at least have a general idea of what I'm going to get before I go, even if I don't follow it precisely. For example, when we went to Bob Evans the other day I planned on ordering a big salad, but when we got there I just couldn't do it. But I did end up getting salmon and grilled veggies (instead of a big ol' steak and something fried like I really wanted) because I felt guilty about not ordering the salad.

Betani, WTG on the exercise! Keep it up! As for belts... that's not really the problem I'm having. Last summer I got down to 197, and actually bought some new clothes that fit quite nicely. That's fine, but I also gave my fat clothes to Goodwill. So now I've gained back about 15 pounds, the problem is that I'm just squeezing into my clothes. The other problem with my wardrobe is completely random--at my last job I had a uniform jacket I had to wear, so I have pants, tank tops, and sweaters, and that's about it. I can't wear tank tops to work, and it's a little warm for sweaters. And I don't have any money! But that is getting better, and by the time I lose enough weight for clothes to actually look good, I'll be able to afford at least a few outfits. When I reach goal, I plan to order a Spiegel catalog and buy myself an entire new wardrobe! I've always wanted to look like a Spiegel catalog!

Eva, let us know how the Meridia works out for you. I tried pills a while back, and I did manage to lose about 10 pounds (which came back as soon as I stopped taking them). They just made me feel like I had a big ball of gas in my stomach. I guess that's supposed to suppress your appetite, but it just made me eat starchy foods in the hope of calming my tummy! But I wasn't on Meridia, and I have heard good things about it. We all react differently to medications, and you know what is best for your body. Be careful, and best of luck.

MsRD, good job with the exercise! And 1600 calories is exactly what I aim for, so as far as I'm concerned you're doing great, even with the ice cream!

OK, I just got interrupted by work, so that's all for now. Have a great day, chicks!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #145  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Food was ok yesterday, but I did have too many vanilla wafers. Hubby made ham steaks and cajun rice. Not the healthiest of choices, but I'd had pretty low-cal lunch and other snacks. At least it was home-cooked!

Exercise has been on schedule. I haven't started with the jump rope yet. I want to spend a couple weeks with the stability ball to strengthen my arms and calves first. Tonight is stability ball night if I can keep up the discipline.

Home life is frustrating. You have no idea how exasperating it is to be a chronically disorganized neat-nik. Ok, I'm not REALLY a neat-nik, but I AM chronically disorganized (I have ADD), and I wish more than anything that I could keep a clean house. I wish I had someone who could just coach me through life. I don't seem to be getting it.

---------------------
Joy-- I've read that story before and I love it! It really puts things in perspective, and it's great to be reminded every once in a while. Thanks for sharing . I hope you're feeling better soon!

TBJ-- Ah, yes, wifey nagging. I am very familiar with that . Hubby picked up some hints and cooked dinner last night. A home-cooked meal, and I didn't even have to do it! How bout that... I'll bet you're itching to bike again. I'm glad you're almost healed.

Hikein2005-- You're exercise sounds way more fun than mine! The days sure do go fast. I know exactly what you mean about that. Was that sandwich the Honey Bourbon Chicken sub? That's my favorite one at Quiznos, and it's probably one of their lightest, too.

Flirtigirl-- If someone could invent a pill, or cream, or shampoo, or something that got rid of stress build-up, they'd be the richest person in the world. I hope things get better! And don't worry, that baby of yours will do something to melt your heart soon enough.

Elisha-- That exercise schedule sounds like a good one. It should be fairly easy to keep up, I'd think. You'll be a Spiegel girl in no time! I hope Steve gets a work schedule closer to yours. My schedule and my husband's used to leave hardly any time together, but I transferred to a different department at the beginning of the year, and now we have nearly identical work schedules. However, we now realize just how important a little "alone" time can be!
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #146  

Good morning! Elisha - have you tried Plus-size consignment shops for clothing? I think it is a really good alternative to paying full price for something that you won't be wearing for too long, (because you are going to be loosing weight). Then, you can sell your clothes there when they become to big for you! I shop that way a lot and always either wash or dryclean the clothing before wearing it, (even though it is supposed to be freshly laundered). Anyway, it is a good alternative to paying full price.

I have been doing pretty good - I think the Meridia is helping. I feel a bit jittery, but am told this will subside after a bit.

Dr. Phil is wonderful! I have the book and will start reading it again. I even have the food guide that goes along with it, (it has become a decoration on the computer desk that I don't even see anymore - thanks for the reminder!).

Well, I have to go get ready for work. I wish everyone here a wonderful, successful day. Take care of yourselves!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #147  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Ah, Wednesday. Time flies when you work on a house full-time.

Well, yesterday was great. I ate lightly, and worked on the house in ways that involved some heavy lifting, so that housework counts as weights, right? I have done so well this week that I hope I lose weight at this week's w/i. Two more days of angelic eating and rabid housecleaning should help.

Tonight I'm going to a pub for trivia, and it will be tempting to order "just a little bit of fried food. You worked so hard today, you deserve it." That will be exactly how the little voice in my head will sound. My plan -- yay for planning ahead -- is to save calories for a nice, big soda, and maybe one piece (let's be honest, two ) of whatever Hubby orders. I will eat an uber-light lunch and dinner in order to save up calories. That plan sounds realistic, right?

Tomorrow is our anniversary. I have planned a special meal that is light enough so as not to interfere with w/i on Friday morning. It would be awful not to see success on the scale just because of eating a lot of salt and retaining water the night before. And maybe I can count on some, ahem... exercise.

So, in short, I have had a good week, am hoping to see success on Friday, but have two upcoming challenges.

Quote:
just ONE thing that was successful about the day
Yesterday, I ate five servings of fruit and veggies. (Maybe we could make the little success post part of our daily posts?)

AuntyEM -- What are consignment shops like? I've always wanted to try them, but don't know what to expect or what kinds/quality of clothing I can hope to exchange.

Betani -- Some people call talking to the hubbies wifely nagging. I prefer to say "open and honest communication." Seriously, Hubby always tells me that if something is bugging me, I should tell him outright, so that he can fix it. He says, "If you don't tell me what's wrong, I can't fix it." So I took his advice and openly talked to him about the exercise-in-the-bedroom topic. He reassured me that he really was too tired because of the housework, and that there was nothing I was doing wrong to make him not want to "exercise." I feel sooo much better knowing that the issue isn't my fault. I credit the open communication for making our marriage work. My parents don't have open communication -- they just expect the other spouse to read their minds, and when the other spouse fails to do so, they take it as an insult that the other spouse isn't showing love. And yay for you for eating a home-cooked meal. That habit is good.

Elisha -- Yes, planning is important for restaurants. I did manage to plan, and ate relatively healthy by skipping soda and eating only a few fried appetizers. I'm with ya on the salad-at-restaurants conundrum. Sometimes I can eat salads, but I figure, why eat salads when I really want some pasta and onion rings? So I order what I want and eat it in moderation. Then I go back to eating home-cooked meals as much as possible. Sorry to hear about your wardrobe being too tight. Too-tight clothing can be depressing. But, I've found that losing just two pounds makes a difference in how clothing fits. The waistbands are a little looser, the shirts button a little better. Remind yourself that two weeks of healthy eating will improve the situation, and maybe that thought will keep you motivated. Good for you for having a successful day of eating. And glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Joy -- Sorry to hear about your bad day. Don't be too hard on yourself, 'k?

Flirtigirl -- You're right, you had success with those two healthy meals and the water. Small steps matter.

Hikein2005 -- Hey, you bike too? Do you do stationary or outside biking? I took up biking this year and have seen great fitness success. Good idea about posting one successful event from the day.

See you all tomorrow.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #148  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Happy Hump Day!

Evening Chickies,
Have a few minutes before DH & DD get home. Not sure when exactly that will be, but I'm here along right now! Ahhhhhh!

First...One thing that was successful about my day! Hmmmm! I did a LOT of walking today at work. I forgot to put on my pedometer, so I don't know exactly, but I'm thinking somewhere around 5 miles, for sure! My feet hurt!

On another note, I have been doing some much needed "soul searching" since my vacation (and during). One of the things I have come to realize about myself is that my bossiness is a way to control what others think and do. I have always thought of it as "being a delegater"! I don't want to be that kind of a person who controls others. So, I am going to work on being very conscious of trying to bite my toungue when I think I need to "shout out" an order to someone or to tell someone how to do something that I THINK would be a better way! This is going to be a difficult thing for me, since I have been bossy all my life! Along with that "little" change, I am going to try to stop interrupting. I have a terrible habit of that! It's not so much that I am trying to be rude or be heard, it's just that if I don't say what's in my head at that moment, I'm afraid I will forget what I wanted to say! So much to say...it's all so evil!!!!

Well enough about that...onto the day!

Food was not good today. Lunch was a fish sandwich at work with tartar sauce. I only ate 1/2 bun. And some fries. Did have fruit.
Breakfast was coffee and when I got to work, my work partner said there were some sugar free cinnamon rolls on her desk, so I ate one! It was good, but it really made me want more carbs today! So this afternoon, I ate not ONE...but TWO cookies! UGH!
Tonight, I will try to stick with veggies & some grilled meat or something light!

I did not get up for exercise this morning. I did not go to bed when I said I would last night! So....I am going to try to get something in tonight! Maybe a bike ride...yes, TBJ...I do ride bike. We have a recumbent stationary bike here at home and I also have a mountain bike 15 speed. I've been a bike rider for years (since I could ride I have owned a bike) and I do love it. I'm not keen on big hills on the bike (not strong enough) but I like to ride on level ground... I like to go on long bike rides, too. We have a Burley trailer that we pull behind for our daughter, but now she rides a two wheeler, so she can go a few miles with us! I prefer outdoor riding!

Elisha...yup...Kaleigh is going to be six in October! She starts First Grade! She is VERY active and loves to run and have me chase her. she's fast too! I can never catch her, so I have to "trick" her! Your exercise schedule sounds good...NOW STICK WITH IT, CHICKIE!!!

Betani...I think it was a Chicken Milano. I think I would like the Buorbon chicken one, for sure! Yummm! I'll have to try that. I like Quiznos MUCH better than Subway! Never been a subway fan, for some reason. Even though they bake their bread "fresh everyday"...I think it's dry and boring!
Do you take meds for your ADD? I'm pretty sure I have ADD, too! Never been diagnosed, but I know EXACTLY what you mean!

Joy, I hope you feel better soon! (((((((((((((Joy))))))))))))

Flirtigirl...YOu hang in there with that baby! They are so precious at that age and before you know it, she will be starting school! Just ask me!! I remember those days sooo well! Once she started to learn to walk, all heck broke loose and life has never been the same!!!! But cherish those moments of craziness! You will never have them back! AT least she can be sassy right now to you!!!

OK...I need to get going and this post is long enough! Hugs to all!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 PM   #149  

Hello All!

What a great day! The calories came in about 1400 today (yesterday 1300) and I guzzled down 75-oz of water too! I got in 5 servings of fruits/veggies today.....it is so nice to have fresh stuff from the garden and farmers market! Have done 2 miles WATP nearly every night.....finally feel like I am getting myself together!

Julie.....You did 5 miles your first day back! Good for you for resisting that evil cooky! Vacation always seems to realign your priorities....just add your goals to your list.

TBJ......Happy Anniversary! How many years? And great job on planning ahead for your evening out......recognizing those triggers is half the battle.

AuntyEM.....Which Dr Phil book are you reading? I do most of my reading in the winter, so can always use a book recommendation.

Betani......You are doing so well with your exercise and food plan! Have you tried making a schedule for your housework......it really helps me to focus on what needs to be done.

Elisha.....Wouldn't it be wonderful if Steve could get a schedule closer to yours! Until that happens, keep getting in that 'quality time', no matter how brief! Your exercise plan looks good......wow!

Joy......Sorry you are feeling poorly......nothing like roller-coaster hormones to drain all the strength you have ....yes, this is the voice of experience here! The sooner you get back on track, the better you will feel......just start with journalling.....or maybe increasing the water......baby steps!

Kari......Those small steps all add up for success! Your baby is entering a wonderful phase....can you imagine the learning and exploring process she is going through? How exciting (and yes, exhausting)....enjoy!

Gotta go......I have started some swiss steak for tomorrows dinner, so better go check on it!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:59 PM   #150  
good rolemodel in trainin

Hello everyone

Today was bad in terms of food and exercise but good in terms of making some personal realizations. Ever since I went out of town last week and missed out on proper eating and exercising, I've been in a rut. I've always been an "all or nothing" kinda person. So I was doing really great (all) then screwed up (nothing) and now I've just kept on doing nothing or very little. As a result I"ve felt like crap physically and emotionally. I even think that Emily (my DD) has picked up on those emotions because she's been very whiny the last couple of days. I also know that when it comes to having a good day it has to start well. For the 2 1/2 weeks that I did well, I noticed that I got up immediately or only after 1 snooze, I had a full 16 oz glass of water, exercised and then took a shower before Emily woke up. If my morning went well than my whole day went well. Even when I wasn't concentrating on eating well, I did. I'm not a calorie counter so I have no idea in those terms but my junk food intake was considerably lower on those days that started well than on the days that started badly.

Anyway, the point of my long ramble is that my DH and I talked about it and if I'm not up before he gets up then he will get me up with him. He also said that he would support me in any way necessary but I have to tell him how. It was a good talk. I think he realizes how unhappy I am right now. I can't believe we're into week 3 and I haven't lost a single pound. But once I"m back on track, hopefully that will change.

Personal notes:

TBJ, Happy Anniversay. Have a good one. And I completely love your idea of a daily success. No matter how badly someones day has been there has to be one thing, no matter how tiny, that can be considered a success.

I did really badly in both food and exercise department but my success today is:
Quote:
I had 64 oz of water and I looked at my contract and renewed my sense of commitment
Remember that contract is there to help you. Reread it everyday. I forgot about it until today and then I was glad I had it on the front page of my journal. In fact I think I will post mine again.

Quote:
I, Kari, do hereby commit myself to making healthful changes in my body during the next 12 weeks and beyond. I am undertaking this adventure in order to lose weight, decrease my body fat, stregthen and tone my muscles, make my body stronger and healthier and make my life longer and fuller. I will incorporate other healthy strategies as well. I well eat right, I will exercise, and I will drink plenty of water. There will be times when I slip but I will get right back on track. I will not allow minor setbacks to deter me. I will accomplish my goals.
MsRD, I know Emily is so curious and she doesn't take anything for granted like we do as adults. I find myself watching her, smiling and trying to see everything through her eyes. It really is a great time. And with her being so active, I should be grateful. It's hard to be a couch potatoe when you're constantly on the move making sure she's not getting into things.

Hikein2005, congrats on making a personal breakthrough. It's hard to 'fess up to your shortcomings like that. What I liked most was that you made a personal observation that has nothing to do with your weight. We all have attributes that we would like to change about ourselves but you are taking steps towards that just by sharing it with us. Thank you. You're a real inspiration.

Hey Joy, I agree with Aunty EM, you need to get back on track NOW! I felt bad about getting de-railed and now I've lost a week. A whole week. I feel more stupid about the past week than I did about the 2 days of being out of town. I know it's hard. We all hate TOM, but even if you just take a couple of small steps, you can keep up all the good work you've done for the past couple of weeks. Keep journalling, and say how crappy you feel in your journal. It's purpose is more than just a list of foods you ate and exercise you did. Put your feelings into it. And drink your water. It will help tremendously in how you feel physically. Take walks. They will also help with cramping and keep you in the routine of getting some exercise. Even if they are short and at a leisurely pace. It's better than nothing.

Aunty EM, good idea on shopping at consignment shops. I used to do it all the time, but hadn't thought about it lately. Thanks

Elisha, good workout schedule. And I hope you and Steve can get in as much QT (quality time) together as possible. I know life gets in the way sometimes, just make your relationship tiop priority.

Betani, here's a suggestion for your ADD and messy house. I have a friend who also suffers through ADD and she would write down EVERYTHING. This is an idea that I took from her and I find it works like a charm. Look at your schedule, when your home, when your family is home and who can help with what. Then make a list of all the chores that you want done around your house on a regular basis. Pick different days to do different chores. I know I personally hate to do all the cleaning on one day so I do a chore each night. It then only takes a few minutes to 1/2 hour. I also hate doing chores on weekends. Those 2 days are meant for family not housekeeeping.

And any extra stuff you want done, write it on a list on the fridge, just like you would a grocery list as you run out of things. Then assign a person to do it and the date you want it done by.

I hope this idea helps. I used to be embarrassed to have people just drop by unannounced because my house was such a disaster. Now I don't mind at all. The only thing that people need to watch for are the toys all over the livingroom floor

So now that I've rambled on, I will leave the comforts of the computer for the comforts of bed. If I have any hope of getting up early tomorrow, I really should go. Talk to you all later,
flirtigirl is offline   Reply With Quote