Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #136  

Hello All

It seems like this week is just dragging......and it is only Tuesday! I did great with the water today....and the food was good until I got home and got into the granola bars. I buy them specifically for lunch (along with fruit or veggie or yogurt), but they just sit there on the shelf and call my name......yeah, you know. Maybe I will have to find a lunch substitute that I don't like as well!

Lucy......glad you stopped in. If you think today was better, you just wait until tomorrow!

Lisa.....I love the downward scale movement. That positive attitude is going to carry you thru!

Squabb......It is hard to keep OP when you just don't feel the motivation. Just keep doing what you know you should be doing, and it will happen for you.

Gab.....thank you for posting. I have been watching the news and thinking of you.....so glad you and family are safe.

Elisha.....hope you find your wallet! Since I carry my entire life in my purse, losing it would be a major crisis.......perhaps there is another area in my life I could be downsizing?

Lauren......so glad you checked in! Sounds like you are busy......are you just putting a coat of paint on the furniture or are you going to be creative and adding your own special touches?

JAVATURTLE.......I know you are out there! Hope everything is going well for you!

Julie......Reading your post makes me feel good! Your enthusiasim is contagious.....I might just have to go and exercise now!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #137  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Evening chicks!

Well, I didn't exercise today as planned, but the food was decent, and I got some stuff done. I also got the South Beach Diet book, and planning on starting it next payday (can't afford all new food right now). I read the whole book today, it really didn't take that long. I need to get the Good Carbs/Bad Carbs book (I think that's what it's called), because there are a lot of things I like to eat that aren't on that list.

So anyway, I got my GRE results, finally. I did pretty well on the essays, so I guess all is well. But now I'm really considering this dietitian thing. I talked to my mom about it and she just kind of raised her eyebrows. It felt like she doesn't think I can do it. I mean, she knows I *can* do it, I just don't think she believes I *will* do it. Of course, I don't think she believed that I would lose weight either.

I wish I knew what to do. I really wish that I had some fervent passion about *something,* anything, that there was something I always knew I wanted to do and could just go about doing it. My professors say "what are you passionate about?" Nothing. It's just not there. There's a lot of stuff I like, but there's really nothing that I love. And it's not that I just haven't found it yet--believe me, I've tried--it's just not there.
I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with something I like enough.

*sigh*

Now I'm rambling. I'll be back tomorrow. Have a great night, chicks.
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #138  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Exercise Challenge!

Anyone who is interested, and those of you who already comitted yourselves ... I was thinking of a way to track our exercise and what goal we can make.

I thought that tracking MINUTES vs. miles might be more appropriate, since some of us don't do the "miles thing" or do lots of miles during our normal avg. day...anyway let's come up with a MINUTES goal for the month of January! I said I would work out 30 minutes a day/5 days a week...starting this week... which equals 150 minutes of cardio a week or 450 minutes for 3 weeks. Sure sounds like a lot, but that's what I 've got figured! We can go to the last day of January, so that will give you a couple of extra days there to make up for lost time...

OK, then the toning stuff, I said I would do 20 minutes of toning 3 times a week which will equal 60 minutes a week or 180 minutes through the end of January!

OK, these are MY PERSONAL GOALS, make yours whatever you want, put them in writing here for all to see and then if you want you can add it to your signature line...but we can be on the honor system, it's just that I think putting out there every time we post makes us more accountable!

I am keeping track of mine on my signature line. You can check it out!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #139  
motomom

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elisha
Evening chicks!

Well, I didn't exercise today as planned, but the food was decent, and I got some stuff done. I also got the South Beach Diet book, and planning on starting it next payday (can't afford all new food right now). I read the whole book today, it really didn't take that long. I need to get the Good Carbs/Bad Carbs book (I think that's what it's called), because there are a lot of things I like to eat that aren't on that list.~Elisha
Elisha! Yea! I'm so glad someone else is doing this South Beach thing with me! Yes! I saw that Good Carbs/Bad Carbs book at Walmart yesterday, but had already checked out. It was like only $6.00 and a really little reference type book. Handy to carry in my purse! I'm just mainly trying to avoid the nasty carbs that I know can trigger me to want to binge...like processed sugar, mostly! I'm eating healthier and feel just great! Not even eating dinner at night and not hungry for it at all!

I know that this is a doable program because I have been stuck for so long at/around the same weight (you know what I'm saying) and have instantly seen results and haven't felt like I have sacrificed at all! I'm even having SF Latte's from Starbucks!!!! Well, I had one tonight anyway. I'm still doing Julie's Java in the morning, but they aren't NEAR as good as Starbucks!! I'm not having cravings because I am eating some sugar free stuff for the sweets attack, like SF jello with Free Cool Whip! It's yummy!

So yea! Join me! I'm hoping that I will see 165 yet this week and you know how long I have been wanting to see that number!!! Like FOREVER!!! You will hear a big ROAR from Michigan when that happens!!!! LOL!

As far as the dietician thing goes...I have two friends that just graduated from that...they are both my age (in their 40's) and have both had other carreers. One friend has graduated AND done her internship. It was **** for her to even find one in the state of Michigan! They are hard to come by, apparently! She used to be a PTA (physical therapy asst.) and was making good money. I don't know how much she makes, but I know it's not what she was thinking the job would be...she works with young/at risk pregnant women counselling them on prenatal care (in home). My other friend is not finished with school and I think she became disillusioned with the whole program and may or may not finish! She has two little ones and I think that might have prevented her from continuing.

I know what you mean about not having "passion" about anything. I used to think it was children, but now for me, I think it's just to teach! I love to teach people about the things I know...like geriatrics (not that geraiatrics is my passion, but I like to teach about them and the disease process to a listening audience). But I never had a passion about anything but I have a love for life so that does include a lot!!! And you will find it...just give it time! Sometimes rushing these things just make it worse! Maybe you will take a course and find a passion you never knew you had! Or maybe not! Good luck, chickie! You are doing just great with keepingup with journalling even though you are so busy! Do something just for Elisha this week!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #140  
Onward and downward!

Smile Back to calorie counting

Hi,

I didn't get to my computer yesterday, so I have just caught up on all the news.

Julie - on your loss. Any downward movement on the scale is a good thing! I'd love to join the exercise challenge. The minutes you've decided on look pretty good to me, so I'll aim for those.

Lisa - With reference to ironing, I've been told that if you stand up to iron, you can burn around 4 calories per minute! The thought of burning calories is the only thing that attracts me to the ironing board .

MsRD - Congrats on your smaller pants triumph .

Now for my news! I visited a nutritionist yesterday and she read through my food journal and converted my points to calories. The verdict was that even though I eat my daily points allowance, I am still not eating enough calories most days. She has recommended I eat 1500 calories per day, and more on days when I do cardio. I'm a little nervous at leaving my points system behind, but she is confident I will start to see steady weight loss. I am to do this for 4 weeks, then see her again and she will review my food/exercise journal and weight loss. She was impressed that I make notes of my moods/emotions at times when I feel like bingeing. She recommended I continue doing this. So, this morning on my way to work I bought a new calorie counter, and will start tomorrow!

Have a great day!
Lucia-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:37 AM   #141  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Morning chicks!

Motivation level: 8

Ok, so I'm feeling pretty good this morning, perhaps because I put actual sugar in my coffee this morning. I know I shouldn't, but man! is it tasty!

Today is a normal work day for me. I get to rearrange the mess we created during inventory. Hopefully I'll get some new stock. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but a girl can always hope, right?

Seriously though, I couldn't sleep last night. But it's ok, because even though I didn't get nearly as much sleep as I should have, I figured some things out while I lay there, and I'm quite a bit less stressed today than I was yesterday evening.

Not to mention the scale says I'm down to 201.6. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm not complaining. Now if I can just get the downward trend to continue...

Anyway, I've gotta go get ready for work. I hope everyone has a healthy and wonderful day!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #142  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Hi!!! I am feeling SO MUCH MORE like myself today!! Being in the doldrums is the pits!!! Anyway, we have sunshine outside, and such mild temps that we are all in short sleeves!! It has been nice for the kids to get to go outside and play.

Yesterday, food was good. Today, food is good. How do I keep this motivation??? If I could just KEEP IT...... Well, it's just one day at a time - that's for sure. Water was bad yesterday, but today I am really drinking up! I'm drinking extra to make up for yesterday. Today's exercise will be either walking or the bike. I also am GOING to do my toning. I need to work on managing my time more wisely so that I can fit more things in. One thing I want to work on is getting up earlier. Well, I do get up at 6:30 already..but I think 6:00 would be better. That would give me time to at least ride the bike or something, and then grab a quick shower before I have to get breakfast for everyone, and make sure that DH's tie doesn't clash with his shirt!! I am 'officially' going to weigh tomorrow morning. I'm not sure what the scale will report. I did weigh on Mon...and I wish I hadn't, because I ONLY want to weigh once a week so that I don't get all obsessed with it. Anyway...have you ever heard someone ramble on and on like I do??????????

Yikes!! Here's the schoolbus with the kids. I'll be right back to comment!!!!!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #143  

O.K. now...

MsRd - I'm glad I'm not the only one..this week is just dragging for me too!! I know so well your dilemma about the lunch items in the cabinet - I buy for the kids'and DH's lunches and the stuff just calls me too!! Very frustrating.

Elisha - Glad to see that level 8 for motivation!! Also, congrats on the loss!!

Lucia - That's so cool about the nutritionist. I wonder...if I get enough points sometimes?? At one point, my DH figured it up (or he thought he did!!), and he said it seemed like my cals. were low. I need to think about that!! Oh, and you MADE MY DAY by telling me about burning calories while ironing!!! I'm not going to look at that chore the same anymore!! Yay!! Thank you!!

Julie!!! You are doing so great with the SBD!! I am so proud of you!! I know how hard it is for you to say no to the chocolate and the bad carbs!! And, I'm going to make myself some of that sugar free Jello!! (I have the FF CoolWhip in the freezer). Thanks for a good idea!! I'm such a copycat, but I also think I will make my exercise/toning routine goals the same as yours. It sounds like it will work for me!

Jennifer - Hi there!! Hope you are having a good day. I'm really proud of you too girl - Just look at you getting up every day and doing the WATP!! You are really inspiring me. (((((Jennifer)))) You rock.

Gabrielle - Can't wait to hear about your exercise today! You always inspire me with your energy!!!!

Well, I have been scrolling up to see who wrote what on this page..and I know some of you are on page 9. Hang on a minute!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #144  

Joy- How are you today?? Have you gotten back your inspiration....? Don't worry - we're here for you. We all go there. (((((Joy!))))) You can do this. You really can.

Lauren - Hi!!! How are you?? Hope you got your furniture painted. Good job on the cardio!!

Everybody else - Hope you are having a FANTASTIC & AWESOME kind of day!

Take care,
Lisa
Old 01-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #145  

well today was good. I wasn't really feeling like doing anything but I did and I am glad that I did. I even think that Jasmine and I are going to go for a walk. I waited until this afternoon and didn't really felt like doing anything but got on and read the forum. I didn't even tryo to reply, I just got off and went to my 25 minute run, then it continued to my power90 sweat video and cardio bootcamp. Then I felt like doing more but dd woke up so I went shower and I am planning on taking her for a walk soon since she has lots of energy and so do I. Thank you all for giving me that energy. I really needed it since I would have just sat down and watched tv the entire day if I didn't come and read this forum.

well now for comments.

Julie- good job on the weight loss. wish that were happening to me quicker. I haven't losta lb all month and I have been working reall hard for that. And take your resident's comment as a compliment. I mean, you are working hard to get if off and people are noticing. congrats!

MsRD- Yes, everything here is fine. Thankfully we aren't that high in Cali. We didnt' really get the worst of everything

Lisa- Did do alot today. Felt real good to do it as you can tell. Mostly, your wanting to know what I did today was what made me get up and do something. Thanks for that.

Sorry taht I can't comment on everyone but I need to get going if I want to take the little on a walk since it will be getting dark soon. Hope you all had a good day!
gabwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #146  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Wow, how long have I been gone???

It took me over an hour to catch up, reading posts. I just missed my week end, right? Wow! Feel like Rip Van Winkle or sumpin. Glad to hear you all are doing so well. And I'm so very proud of my Dragon Buddy, Jennifer. You're rocking Chica! Take me with you!
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #147  
motomom

Default Weds Nite

You chickies won't beleive this!!! I thought the scale was lying! I probably shouldn't weigh in daily, but it is just amazing me that I'm losing like this! I know it won't last that long, but I'll take it as long as I can get it!

I lost another 1.5 lbs today! That' puts me at 167.5! I'm in awe myself! I'm almost down to my all time low of 167 and that will probably happen tomorrow! I didn't get a workout in today and I did eat supper tonight (I'll post that recipe later!) but I plan to workout in the morning if I can get to bed at a decent hour here tonight!

I wanted to tell you all how hard this is for me to not eat all the crap around me. Yesterday as I was leaving work and stopped in the break room to get my lunch box, there stared a huge box of Crispy Creme donuts free for the taking! And I did everything in my power to get my lunch box and get the heck out of there! Today I sooo wanted some mini oreos that I was passing out to the residents, or to take a handful of those mini frosted cookies sitting on my partner's desk...or to sample the brownies that a resident's family member brought in...or hey...how about the fudge that one of my co-workers brought in yesterday! I tell you...it's all around me...just wanting me to taste it and get hooked back in...but I have been strong! Not an iota of sugar! None, nada! I have had some tastes of other carbs that I shouldn't have (like DD's tortellini or a smidgin of mac & cheese the other day) but I HAVE to stay away from the sugar or it will just escalate! And we don't want that! Not after all this loss! No way!

Sorry for the rant! Just wanted you to know!

((((((((((Lisa))))))) Thank you for your encouraging words! And it's ok to copy ideas fron one another! That's what we are here for chickie!!!

Gabrielle...try reducing your carb intake and upping the protein in your diet. That's really all I have done! It will start to come off! You are doing so awesome with your exercise. I understand the plateau thing! Your body is used to all that exercise (darn, huh?)!!! Maybe give it a day's rest and then see what happens? Hugs to you and that little one!

Elisha, glad the sleep deprivation was good for the mind! I do my best and deepest thinking in the middle of the night, too! But it makes for a horrible next day!

Lucia...welcome to the exercise challenge! Wondering if anyone else is going to join! Great news from the dietician! Glad you did that! It helps to hear that you are doing many of the right things!

Hugs to everyone!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #148  
"workin' on my fitness"

This morning I did the 1 mile WATP, and this evening, I just finished the 2 mile WATP with stretchie. I’m going to try to keep that up for the next week or so, before I start to increase again. When I finished tonight, I actually could see heat shimmers come off my body when I sat down. Like on a road in the summer when the sun is beating down on it all day...like thin lines of steam. And for that reason, I feel good. For me to be creating steam, I have to be working my cottage cheese dimpled *** off, which is great, as far as I am concerned. I do feel a whole lot better when I am exercising, so more positive reinforcement.

This morning our manager came back from her 3 weeks out with surgery for breast cancer. She looks great, and we threw a big welcome back breakfast for her, complete with little kid party favors like soap bubble rings, kazoos, plastic rings, etc. She loved it. I was sooo good- I planned in advance so I could have a honey wheat bagel, with less than 1 teaspoon of honey butter. I’m sure you are scratching your head at the 1 teaspoon, but with me & butter, I really just like a hint of it on there, unlike hubby, who can cut pats of butter & lay them across a bagel or toast. I should have brought some kind of protein, but nothing was handy that wasn’t already pre-measured into an existing meal. So, under for breakfast, good at lunch, and now getting ready to make something quick & light for dinner after the workout.

I’ve been checking the scales, and so far, there’s a definite downward trend. I’ll “officially” weigh in on 1/15 when I enter it on the National Body Challenge, since I weighed at Christmas, then New Years, and I’m down from that point. I won’t jinx it, but I am hoping for that new middle # by the time the Body Challenge begins. Oh- and how about that Biggest Loser? Kelly looked amazing- 79 pounds!?!?! And holy crap Batman- with Ryan and 122??? I am SOOO jealous- I want to borrow Jillian! All the more reason to keep doing what I’m doing. Focus. Work at it. Repeat until healthy.

Work is good, and busy. The day flies by! I have so little time to check in here, or email, or even check on school stuff. I feel like I am neglecting a few personal relationships and friendships, but right now I’ve got to get fully up to speed on 62 files now (10 new ones that we put together today!) and show my new Loan Consultant how kick-*** awesome I really am!

The plan, fully executed, for today:

AM exercise
1 mile WATP

Breakfast
1 honey wheat bagel
<1tsp honey butter
12oz diet coke
vitamins!

Lunch
1 cup yellow rice
1 chicken breast, diced
fresh pineapple, cantelope (how the **** do you spell this?) and honeydew

PM exercise
2 mile WATP with stretchie

Dinner
2 slices light oatmeal bread
3oz turkey breast
9 no sugar added sweet gherkins
1oz fat free cheese

I will do my best to get in here early tomorrow morning- I stole a few minutes to post to the daily question & then next thing I knew, the day was over!
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #149  
Onward and downward!

Talking

Hi Chickies,

Halfway through my first day of counting calories instead of points and I am going to have more food than I have been on points. It's going to take a while to get used to, I haven't used a calorie counter in over a decade, but I have such faith in the dietitian, that I am going to follow her advice to the letter.

Lisa - I don't think it would hurt to check your points against calories. I have gone through a few more pages of my journal, and found that on some days my calories were around 1200, subtract calories burnt through cardio, and there were days when I only consumed 900-1000 calories, which is too low for weight loss. Anyone who has a weight problem will know that undereating only encourages the body to stay at the weight it is!

Julie - Well done on the weight loss! You are so right about the dietitian - I'm glad I made the appointment. It does help to have a professional point you in the right direction.

Have a great day everyone, check in with you tomorrow.
Lucia-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 AM   #150  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi everybody

Well I had weigh in tonight.... unfortunately I was up .8 - but you know I deserved it so no use crying over spilt milk. I know that I have to get back in my "groove". I need to remind myself that I am doing this for ME, and not allow myself to step back into old patterns. I control what I eat, and when I exercise and my progress toward "total wellness".

It is so encouraging to see how well everyone is doing.

Yay Hikein, you've done so well with losing. I'm proud of you for resisting the crispy cremes etc. WAY TO GO. I'm going to try to join in your exercise challenge - when did you start? I've walked 15 minutes for three days in a row - should I count that or start tomorrow?

Jennifer, I think you made a great choice with your bagel! Did I miss something? What is the National Body Challenge?? I think I forgot I was going to post my daily menu's.... I better get back on it ... tomorrow

Gabwill - You inspire me.... you seem to have endless energy.... Oh to be young again But seriously, DH got a DVD player for Christmas and I was thinking that maybe I need to try some workout videos (since I quit the gym) Can you suggest something good for a beginner - without too much impact????

Lisa girl - thanks for the hugs and the encouragement. I am trying as hard as I can to stay focused. Must admit I even broke down and had a Mars bar today...... I did try to eat it with dignity.... I don't think I want any more so hopefully that will be the end of this little episode. I will begin posting my menus again (hopefully won't bore everyone too much) but being accountable seems to work for me

Elisha - Good for you down to 201 Yay! Now that your less stressed you will be able to get the rest you need.... Be patient... sometimes you need to really know who you are before you can decide what it is you love and want to do - at any rate any education you receive is never wasted. I'm 48 and still learning alot about myself and taking classes to boot.

Lucia - sounds like this change in eating plan will be good for you. Follow through - dieticianss and nutritionists give great advise in my experience.

MsRD - I know I cannot keep anything in my house (ie chocolate, cookies etc) or I'm just drawn to it until its gone - even tho I know better. That little voice just keeps telling me to go for it..... Too bad the good voice doesn't over rule I sound psycho again.

Well, I think it time to say good night. I wish you all a sucessfull and rewarding Thursday.

Joy
squabb56 is offline   Reply With Quote