Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange82much View Post
Thanks Munchey for all your work. Loving the updates and spreadsheets and the cute graphics!
Good luck to you with getting back in to it this week.
4 more days for us to get results before the next one... eek.

Ange82much:
Congrats on being the Biggest Loser this week. Keep up the good work
munchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

Hey Everyone!
Do you have some interesting food ideas, strategies or recipes to share with others? I would love to hear your input, and I'm sure that others will as well.

I strive to find healthy, low-calorie foods that I enjoy. I can get bored with eating some foods and I am always looking for something new to try, or a variation that makes a dish more interesting.

Last year, I became reacquainted with spaghetti squash. I cut a squash in half and cook each half separately in the microwave on a sturdy paper plate. It's easy. After the squash is cooked (and cooled a bit), I scoop out the strands. I place unused portions in a baggie in the refrigerator. It's available for a quick meal, with some sauce on top. I keep a jar of my favorite lower calorie spaghetti sauce on hand. I prepare a serving, with a paper bowl and heat it up in the microwave. Sometimes, I cook some ground turkey and place a bit of that on top.

On Monday, I cooked up some apples and added some cinnamon and Splenda. I use it for a healthy treat. Since I cooked up a entire bag of apples, I have an available treat for a few days.

I'm currently exploring different colored carrots. I happened upon a bag of mixed colored carrots at Costco, and I bought them. The bag is a mix of the traditional orange, along with purple, and white (or pale yellow).

I will explore using the different carrots this week. If nothing else, they will be a colorful novelty to use in soups. Perhaps it will prompt me to make some interesting mixed vegetable dishes.
munchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #78  
Be happy.

Hello everyone!

Schools are closed today due to snow, so I'm home with time to catch up on everyone's comments. I really enjoy reading how you've been doing, I will try to do a better job of checking in each day.

I saw my rheumatologist on Monday and got a shot of steroids. Bad news is my weight is up 4 pounds since then - good news is there is no way I ate enough to gain so I'm sure it will be back on track in a few days. And even better news, soon i should feel good enough to do more than just my gentle exercise again.

One of my favorite low cal meals is one I learned from a post on 3FC years ago.... I steam broccoli slaw and use it instead of pasta. The original poster called it "confetti spaghetti".

It's a great quick meal if you use spaghetti sauce from a jar. We used to add a little ground beef, too. These days we're meatless so we enjoy it with 'garden style' sauce from a jar or chunky home made sauce. And the steamed slaw is also very tasty with peanut sauce if you eat nuts and nut butters.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #79  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Ange82much:

Congratulations!!!
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #80  
Jesus, I trust in You

I am plugging along. Snow and ice this morning...so no Weight Watcher meeting for me. I am regrouping and tweaking the new FreeStyle program - it is a trial and error to find my own number of points and types of foods to lose - the magic formula, so to speak.

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 01-17-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #81  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Day 14 of my personal diet today, and been completely on plan so far. Went for a bike ride last night which is the first time I've been out on it since living in this house - it's amazing how hilly it is on the route I took, when I thought all along it was fairly flat! And my bottom was killing me!! It was fun though and I'm really excited that my knee tolerated this as long as I kept in a low gear and also didn't stand up. I need to keep going to toughen up the bum and also to get fitter of course.
Can't think of any exciting recipes to share unfortunately. I hate cooking, so if it takes more than about 10min it's not going to happen, although I don't mind making a batch of something now and then, calculating the calories, bagging it up by weighing out in portions with the calorie content written on each bag, and in to the freezer for future use. The fridge has got similar contents, with containers of salads or stuff that I've prepared with the calories for each 100g of it marked on the container (metric over here!) which makes it easy to calculate out when I plate my meal.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

201.8 well, I had hoped to be lower by this weighing. Just a 1.2 lb weight loss.

I have complied with my plan, but I know this happens during the weight loss journey. If I back up and take a bigger look I am down 7lbs over the last 4 weeks and that is "ok". Not as good as I had been doing but some adjustments I guess. Everything I understand is keep plugging. Have faith. Realize as long as calories out are more than calories in weight will come off and the more you lose the fewer calories you consume. Over the last 7 days cronometer says my daily intake is averaging 1151 and my daily burn (BMR + data from fitness watch) is 2208 which is on target for a little bit more than 2lbs a week.

Hoping for that woosh and entry into onederland soon.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #83  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Slow weight loss still but at least it's a loss!

Congrats ange82much! Both on the weight loss and on the bike ride, sounds like it was fun.

MorningGlory1950, I'm anxious to hear how the freestyle program works for you! I was doing weight watchers until recently.

Heidi58, confetti spaghetti sounds great, I will have to try it!

Slow loss as you are closing in on a big goal is frustrating, grannynancy. You are doing great and will be in onederland in no time with your plan!

Those colorful carrots sound like so much fun, munchey! I like all your recipes. I don't have much time for cooking right now so I don't have any recipes to add.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #84  
Jesus, I trust in You

grannynancy and tefrey ~ Wow! You both are so close to Onederland! You will both open the door in your journey...I picture it like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, opening the door after she lands, the gorgeous colors, after black and white! You two are still swirling up in the tornado...you have no control other than sitting tight with your plan.

Hang in there!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Good morning

, Ange82much!

tefrey and grannynancy: my fingers that Onderland doesn't elude you much longer. You're both so close and doing great!

MorningGlory1950 and Heidi58: Hope that warmer temps made their way back at the end of the week. I'm originally from the Midwest and know all too well how miserable and treacherous ice storms and icy roads can be.

munchey: Regarding your call for recipes and the soup I'm making--no actual recipe as it's a hodge-podge of recipes I've read through online. Because I don't cook with lentils much I will stick with the actual measurement of 1 1/4 cups that a couple of the recipes mention and eight cups of broth. Eight cups has always been a good foundation for broth soups for me. Interestingly, I will be adding a few colorful carrots that you described in your post. They're fun even thought they taste just like the regular orange ones. Thankfully, soup is very forgiving but I'll let you all know how it turns out.
I'm down another pound but it was an inconsistent week for me. Water one day, minimal the next. On plan one moment and then undoing any good by mindlessly eating chocolate. I'm always grateful when I wake up and know that it's a new day to begin again. For me this means making a big pot of vegetable chicken soup that will be my lunch for the week and getting back on the H20 express.

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 01-21-2018 at 01:12 PM.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #86  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchey View Post

Sum38:

Welcome! Please tell us a little about your food and exercise plan, your goals and how things are going for you.

If you haven't already, please read the entire first post in this thread. It has the guidelines for the challenge.

This time around I am simply reducing calories and overall carbs. Exercising 4-5 days per week.

Last edited by Sum38; 01-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #87  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

it's good to see a few new posts after weigh-in day
grannynancy well, you're doing everything right and have a great attitude, so patience is going to pay off as you know. It's hard when it happens so slowly though - hubby is on his version of a diet and lost about 5lb last week and he still drank some beers and ate snacks and didn't appear to be doing it tough at all! it's so frustrating when I was totally strict and lost about 1lb in the same timescale! So the moral is just be yourself and do your thing and it's going to work and that's what's important.
tefrey wow, you're so close to the 100's. Looking forward to seeing your weigh-in next week.
sum38 loving the no-nonsense plan! And it's working - you're top of this weeks table so far. What's the exercise routine?
curvey sounds like you're frustrated at going off plan sometimes, but i'm impressed that you can get back on to it again straight afterwards as that's the key for long term success. I've not dared to deviate yet so i'm a bit scared that if I have a blow out it'll stuff up my motivation. The soup sounds like a good way to help yourself to a low-calorie week.

So far I've had it easy and no real temptations, but this week we seem to have a lot on. Going out 5x nights. Arts-festival time over here so there are a couple of things we're going to see, which would normally involve meeting friends first, eating a meal with them and having a few drinks then going to the event, then having a drink or two afterwards. So I need to somehow reduce the calories there. And we're going to the football one night (that's normal) and it's our wedding anniversary (21), and it's Australia Day long weekend, and we're going for a meal with friends followed by a pop concert on saturday, and we're going to another forum thing tonight (and it's my annual appraisal and my boss is in town for two days so we'll be going out with the team for two lunches too), so wish me luck through that lot!

Last edited by ange82much; 01-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #88  
Jesus, I trust in You

Whoa, ang ~ I'm amazed at all the activities you're attending this week. I am wishing you luck!!! You can do it - keep your eye on the prize!!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #89  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Woot!!

First, I walk my dog about an hour, in the woods. We don't go fast anymore, as she is getting old, but there are hills up and down, so I do get some exercise plus steps of course.

Then I re-joined gym. I rotate between classes (barre, is my fav), bike/elliptical + weights another day and swimming. I am the worst swimmer, therefore I am shaking afterwards, I think I burn the most calories swimming, jest because I am such ineffective swimmer Now I am going to gym 6 x per week.

I am sticking between 1300-1450 calories, I don't eat any exercise calories back, as it can get tricky. I cut all added sugar. It was a week from h3ll of detox, but well worth it. I do eat now everything else in moderation, and watch my carbs. I substitute zucchini, which I spiralize to pasta etc.

I have tried every diet known to man. I was successful, with many plans, with short term weight loss, but once I returned eating normal food, I could not handle it. So now I am learning portion control.

So the old fashioned diet; eat less, move more.

Last edited by Sum38; 01-22-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 253.4/174/175

Height: 5'10

grannynancy and tefrey -- Yay on being so close to onederland!!

Heidi58 - I'll have to try the spaghetti idea, I use zucchini slices for lasagna noodles with a turkey sausage.

curvey - way to get back on track!! I'd been off track since Thanksgiving. Feels good to be back working at it!

I tend to just substitute lower calorie pieces of my meals. One of my favorite main dishes is easy, it's a steamed chicken. I put frozen chicken breast in a pan with a 1.5 inches of water and cook for 40 mins covered. Then I add Weber Garlic and Herb to the top and cook for 5-8 more mins. Pair it with veggies and/or salad. It's good to have on hand for a quick meal so I tend to cook extra. I shred the chicken and do chicken tacos too.
BlondieCJ is offline   Reply With Quote