Old 01-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hello Chicks!
ScotsGal: a belated Happy Birthday to you! Sounds like you had a great time in London!
Rosinante, Congrats on your consistent weight loss! you're doing great - what is your secret?
LM: When you live alone, you don't have the consistent support of another who may want to live a more healthy life like you do. I think willpower plays a more important role in everything. It's hard when you want to exercise every day but there's no one to encourage you to just put on the shoes and get out and walk, ride, or whatever. My DBF sounds like your DH and loves things like biscuits and gravy and heavy dinners with bread (he's from the south) and he seems to have arthritic symptoms which prevent him from wanting to exercise in general.
On the positive side, when you live alone you can literally throw out unhealthy foods to prevent temptation. IE: I don't have any crackers, cookies, or other junk in my pantry. I have a loaf of bread which I keep in the freezer for when DBF comes over (we live about an hour apart so when we visit we stay over). I buy lots of veggies, salads and lean protein and try to live on these healthy choices. Given the choice, I would rather live with someone... That may happen in the future, and if so, I'm sure we'll work it out.

I'm experimenting with IF (Intermittent fasting) and so far so good. I basically fast until about noon and then eat a high protein lunch. I'll eat again later but try to keep eating from noon till about 7:30.

Andi
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #137  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning Everyone!

Rosinate: Fabulous! You are an inspiration! Congratulations! Whoooohooo!!!

Weekend Boater: Thank you for the thoughtful and insightful response to my long and meandering post!
You are the best!

Gloomy and raining earlier, but the sun is trying to break thru, if only for a moment......
Little bits of encouragement here and there that spring will come, one way or another, so we may as well put in the hard work during these dreary days!

Be joyful!

April
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #138  
Fishing for a plan!

Hello again!

Andi: You posted while ï was pecking on my phone. LOL! Ï understand what you meant now, Ï know ï have the opposite problem, because my DH always being unwilling/unable (Ï'm not sure if it's partly depression or if it's all physical) to do things makes me less likely to do them myself. What Ï don't understand is why my Ï have those little Hobbit dots on top of them....
Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #139  

Hi again girls! aw lurchmomma thanks for the kind words I speak from the heart. As far as any "long and meandering" post, I love to read your posts, bring it on anytime!

Ladies, as far as having DH join in on walking or exercising together, I can share my personal experience I had in the past. He enjoys it and of course it is nice to have company but at one time in the past I found myself reliant on him somehow that way (that can go for any type of walking partner) to the point where when he couldn't go (and there were plenty of times) then I didn't feel like doing it. I had decided to do it on my own and get into the habit of going it alone so that I would not be reliant on anyone and that way nothing could stand in my way! I started taking very long walks on the beach (2 hours at first until I got so fit I did it much less time) and you know, I enjoyed it sooooo much! It became my own personal therapy, I am crazy for the ocean and where I walked was complete solace! I loved it! I don't know if this has any bearing on either of your situations and I am not saying it does, please understand that I am merely sharing what happened with my experience in the hopes it can be helpful even in a small manner. Okay, talk about long and meandering posts! I am, incidentally, working to gain this back!! When the weather gets good, I want to hit the pavement!

I hope you all have a great day! Thanks for posting and sharing your journey, it really is very nice to come in and read your news!
Weekend Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #140  

Hi WB, and thanks for sharing your exercise experience with with your DH - I understand what you're saying. It sounds like you live near a lake or beach - how wonderful! I know that when I'm on vacation anywhere near the beach I love to walk for hours every day! I understand about exercise dependency... i don't really mind exercising alone if the weather would just cooperate!

Maybe when it gets warmer, LM and I could meet for a walk as we live fairly close to one another! Interesting thought I should get my Fitbit tomorrow and maybe will figure it out by Spring HAHAHA!

LM, are you up for this?

andi

Last edited by WebWoman; 01-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #141  

Andi, that is so cool! I wish a lot of you gals lived closer to me too! lol We share so much here at this site and have those common interests! Very neat! I used to live near the ocean at that time and I am going back! well as long as all goes well this year! I have a walking route near here that I enjoy in spring weather. It's really pretty in spring when everything is in bloom! Well, I finally got my butt in gear and did the kitchen and cleaned out the fridge to make way for the new ingredients for meal plans. Tired but the show must go on! Onto the next thing I go.

We still have a whole week left to our month, I really want to make it a good final week ladies, day by day. Focusing on today right now, have to keep going!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #142  
Fishing for a plan!

Hello All!

This time I'm on the laptop, so a little less tedious typing! LOL. I'm still wondering why the "I" on my cell phone produces an "I" with two little floating dots over it. They look like German "umlauts", but "i's" don't have umlauts. Strange days indeed!

Weekend Boater: How funny! I had planned to clean out my refrigerator today, but haven't made it that far. Lots of stuff in there that I can feed to the chickens before it turns into the proverbial science project and is completely wasted. They are out free ranging in the back yard right now. LOL. When they see me coming with a bucket they hurtle in a dead "chicken run" straight to the coop. It is hilarious to watch them run! I think I probably look a lot like that when I try to run, which is one reason I refrain from doing so! I love having a clean fridge. I also love to walk barefoot on a freshly mopped and dried hardwood floor. It's the little things.......
I understand what you mean about walking on the beach. I used to live in Colorado and loved hiking in the mountains and going to old mining "ghost towns" by myself. I was much thinner then. LOL. Looking back, I think I was a little naïve, as I was completely isolated and alone, except for my dog, anything could have happened! But did I ever love it!

Andi: I think that's a great idea! Maybe we could meet in Xenia towards spring, since it's sort of between us, and there is the rails to trails hub there. I sent you a fitbit friend invitation either yesterday or the day before, so it may be there when you get yours set up. That way, we can encourage each other to step even if we are stepping separately! There is a new feature on there that I'm trying. It's a "fitbit adventure", you "walk" in New York City or Yellowstone. It alerts you as you pass landmarks, and you "collect" little things along the way. I guess you get a badge or something for completing it. I'm more the "Yellowstone" type, so I'm doing one of the three Yellowstone adventures. So far, it hasn't been too exciting, LOL, but I'm not sure I'm even doing it right.

Well, you guys, the sun came out and flooded my kitchen with buttery brilliance......for about 15 minutes. LOL. Gonna throw on the sweats and get out, even though it's getting late and I don't wanna.......

Have a great night!

April
Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #143  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Aww thank you everyone.... you all so sweet... Still out of the game here I went to the gym yesterday thinking I was much better. Nearly passed out after 40 mins and had to call it quits. I then went a nice long walk and clocked in 13,000 steps, so I dont think I did too bad. Today Im all flemmy yuk! so It will need to be a walk again along the beach, luckily its a nice day and the dog hasn't yet realised what she is in for .

Instead of going to the gym..... I plan on clocking 15,000 steps today
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #144  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
Hi All,

LM, Yes it's a new quote from an old Latin Proverb: Destitutus ventis, remos adhibere.
(Literally, "when you have no winds, take to the oars")

Sometimes it's seems like an uphill battle doing what we're doing, so we need to take ownership, dig in, and make it happen!

Andi
I love it! The more so because I'm a real languages-lover!
I've really had to take to the oars today ~ really far too cold and scary to go out for a walk, so I've been walking round and round my tiny house to get my 10,000 steps in. I know it's an imaginary number really but I've made it every day this year so far, and don't want today to be the day I miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Boater View Post
Rosinate That is fantastic! Thanks for sharing and Congratulations! Congrats on getting into onderland too!
Thankyou! And oh yes, the joy of being back in onederland is amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
Rosinante, Congrats on your consistent weight loss! you're doing great - what is your secret?
Andi
Thank you! I'm keeping my carbs on the lowISH side (under 100g, sometimes under 80g, and none of them from grains or potatoes or cakes or cookies or candy); about 1,400 calories; 10,000 steps a day minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurchMomma View Post
Good Morning Everyone!

Rosinate: Fabulous! You are an inspiration! Congratulations! Whoooohooo!!!
April
Thankyou! I'd be more of an inspiration if I didn't keep gaining the darned weight back again but I'll take the praise!!

So many people posting such great stuff on here at the minute - it's Very encouraging, thank you!!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #145  
Fishing for a plan!

Blimey it's Blustery!

The wind is gusting and blowing an ice/snow mixture that stings the cheeks. I'm going to put on some of DH heavy waterproof/windproof camouflage and head out in a little bit. I did 4.3 miles late yesterday and ended up being blessed with a beautiful sunset. It was gray and overcast most of the day, but if I'd have stayed inside I'd have missed it!

We took my MIL out to Frisch's for the breakfast bar. I was good. I had scrambled eggs, ham, cantaloupe, pineapple, and of all things, raw broccoli. I did not have gravy or biscuits or hashed browns or bacon or sausage or grits or French toast or pancakes.....but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want them! We are home now and DH just put some wood in the stove. Some of it is damp, so it will take awhile to really get going. Maybe by the time I get back.....It will surely feel good then!

Scotsgal: Don't overdo it while you have a respiratory infection. You are young, but still, it's hard on your heart when your lungs are already compromised. Safety first! LOL. Just a little motherly advice.

Rosinante: It's great that you can walk around and around in your house. Between the dogs and the uneven floors here, I think it's safer for me to take my chances outside!

I hope you are all having a great day! Oh, and BTW, the fitbit adventure thing does have some pretty pictures on it! I just am not sure if anything happens when you complete a course, because that one was 15,000 steps and I got just over 10,000 yesterday. So, if there are fireworks, a chicken dance or a serenade by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir when I cross the virtual finish line, I will let you know!

April
Old 01-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #146  
Fishing for a plan!

Hidey Ho there Neighbors!

Just did 5.75 miles out in the weather with the little Jack Russell. Now we are both sitting by the stove. Me in my flannel PJs with Earl Gray Tea, she with her head over the arm of the recliner warming her ears in front of the blower. LOL.

I didn't get fireworks, the Rockettes, or a musical salute for finishing the "Vernal Falls" trail. I did, however, get a colorful badge to add to my virtual badge collection.

I'm going to have a grilled hamburger patty, no bun, with onion slices, tomato slices, a little sliced avocado, a baked sweet potato and a salad.

I hope you are all warm and well!

April

Last edited by LurchMomma; 01-26-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #147  

Hello from cold and snowy southern Ohio!

LM, congrats on your LONG walk in the cold yesterday. Just so everyone knows, it snowed, sleeted, and rained yesterday with temps in the 20's.
I stayed indoors and worked on house projects - I usually have a big project every winter and another one every spring/summer. We're finishing a half bathroom in my finished basement which takes a long time!

Fitbit Saga: I finally received my replacement Fitbit, but they didn't include the bracelet, so I can't wear it! ARRRGGGH! I emailed them right away and they are sending me the bracelet. What has it been, almost 4 weeks now? Hope this one works and I can start logging in the steps like you other chicks!

Rosinante, congrats on keeping on course! I'm also doing low-carb, but since I'm older, the results just come slower; I had a good day yesterday, kept on plan, but the scale just laughed at me in the morning

But - we're in this for the long-run, so WE must be patient!

Have a good day everyone!

Andi
Old 01-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #148  

Hi ladies and Happy Friday! Nice to come in and see everyone's posts and news, as always! TGIF, hope you all have a great day and start to the weekend.

It's been a busy week here and a bit stressful but everything is starting to fall in place. I have been OP with the meal plans although not on my typical exercise schedule as I have been quite busy with other things. I will try to do something today. I soooo cannot wait my friends until warmer weather so I can get outdoors more. The temps aren't too bad here for this time of year but boy has it been blustery! Makes it uncomfortable to do anything outside. This and next month are difficult for me for various reasons but I am focusing to just take it day by day and with that being said, we are on a new day and I hope well have a good one! I want to plan something fun to do this weekend one day or something different, I think that will be a very good thing for me right now! This is our final weekend to the month! We have 5 more days to go!

lurchmomma LOL @ the chickens running! I always thought they look funny running too. We have wild turkeys which roam the property from time to time. Just last week about 40 of them flew and landed on my driveway! A few nights ago, I heard a pack of coyotes! My hiking in the woods days have been over for a long time! I was much more fearless when I was younger or perhaps I am more knowledgeable now, no wonder they say "ignorance is bliss" sometimes! lol

Ah, you bundles up and went for a walkkk even in that weather! Good for you! You inspired me and it's an incentive and reminder for me to get my whimpy butt out there soon! smiling. That breakfast bar sounds great lurchmomma! Yesterday a 5.3 mile walk with the pup and then by the fireplace curled up with her and earl grey tea in jammies, haha smiling big here, how nice is that! WTG on your meal plan too!

Girls, this new fitbit feature sounds very interesting to me! It sounds like a super incentive and lot's of fun. DH has an older one that we have been meaning to hook up to my pc. Is this a feature on a new fitbit? How does it work?

April, I hope you are warm and well too! Keep up the wonderful work and have a great Friday, all of you.

Webwoman I hope you get your new bracelet soon. Congrats on a good day yesterday I know it can be frustrating sometimes and the scale can be a PITA but let's keep it up, in the end we will WIN! It will start going down, hang in there. Hope you have a great day today too and weekend. Do you have any special plans with DBF? Not sure what we are doing yet but I am so glad it's Friday! TGIF

Oh, the other day, I did go to the grocery store! Thank god! I was out of stuff and did a big shopping trip, it would NOT have been good for me to not have the ingredients in the house for my meal plans. I have everything planned out for the week or the next several days at least.

A big hello to everyone I missed and wishing you all a super weekend! We still have 5 days left to our month!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #149  

Scotsgal Hey you! Congratulations on those steps! I just feel bad that you went to the gym not feeling well and all. I hope it's mild at the beach and that you feel better today! Take care of that cold darlin', wishing you a speedy recovery
Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #150  
Fishing for a plan!

Good Friday Evening Everyone!

Just a quick drive by, LOL....crawling into bed to hopefully fall asleep soon.....the alarm will go off at an ungodly early hour in the morning!

Weekend Boater: I'm not sure, but I think probably any model Fitbit will have the option for the adventures. I don't think it's the Fitbit itself that generates them, I think it's part of the app, it's new under the "challenges" tab. Prior to this, you could challenge yourself to meet your goals, or you could challenge others to meet their goals, or there was a "workweek challenge" and a "weekend warrior challenge" which was a competition to see who could accumulate the most steps over a given period of time. Even when I had my basic Fitbit Zip, the challenges were the same. I did a 5k in "New York" today and earned another badge. LOL. I am going to do one of the longer Yellowstone ones over the weekend. I think it's 24,000 steps. I hope you have a wonderful, stress free weekend!

Andi: I got back out in the weather today and did another 5 miles. That wind was bitter. All that work and then my DH decided he wanted a Greek Pizza for dinner. I threw in the towel! There are some things that are absolutely worth the calories.....I'll work it off this weekend, right? I hope you get your Fitbit bracelet soon. I ordered a new clip for mine from Amazon last week and I got it more quickly than I expected. Maybe they will expedite yours after all the headaches!

I hope you all enjoy your weekends while I'm doing my 32 hour weekend shift. Well, it usually ends up being more like 34. No complaining here, though, I'm happy to be out of the loop Mon-Fri!

April