3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Binge Free Challenge: 6.20.11 - 6.26.11 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/236003-binge-free-challenge-6-20-11-6-26-11-a.html)

mysticalcrayon 06-25-2011 06:26 PM

Hello everyone. I have been thinking about joining this for a bit, so i hope it is ok if i do, i hope its not too late or anything. I have a bit of a problem with bingeing, i find it very difficult to control my eating sometimes and then feel so bad about it after, sometimes eating to the point of sickness and so i think keeping a count of it here would really help me if that is ok? :)
I have to admit i had a mini-binge the other day, it wasnt too bad as i didnt have much more food i could eat lol but i felt so bad afterwards..it started off with a small meal that ended up being about 20 cheesey crackers, a big pile of cheese, a large spoonful of full fat mayonnaise (which i have sworn myself off up until then!!) and many other things.
The thing is, a month ago, i probably could of eaten that and had room for more and felt perfectly fine..this time i felt greasy and disgusting so i guess that is a good thing really. I have to remember that feeling next time i find myself reaching for the cheese lol
So... sorry about that long winded story! I hope it is ok if i join her and start today as day ONE!! lol xxx

fruitlady 06-25-2011 09:04 PM

Day11- I baked today anyway, but not cause I wanted to binge. I was on plan all day. Wanted to try a 100 yr old recipe for banana bread, used whole wheat flour instead of white, had 2 -1 inch thick slices. I had lots of ripe bananas, so I also baked a banana cake again. Changed the recipe a bit to make it healthier, ate 3- 2x2in. pieces. This was over a period of 3 hrs. I wasn't out of control, I felt full & stopped. I did overeat, but i controlled myself. Didn't want to be sick. Ate 2560 calories including breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'll gain weight, I know it!

mamato2boys 06-25-2011 09:19 PM

jendiet 06-25-2011 09:51 PM

tea2, sweets are my danger binge food as well. REally i can make anything a binge food.

beila, it's amazing how binging really sabotages our attempts at losing weight. Right now, i'm stress eating on fresh zucchini and squash. I'm not strong enough to not engage in this behavoir---so i'm modifying it so i don't screw myself up.

nc, you are making great progress, don't forget that!

Lianna, if you are dealing with some strong emotional injury--i would deal with that first, talk it out , write it out....if it's really painful, write it out and crumble it up.

desires--nothing but hi and keep going.

fruitlady, you sound like an awesome baker. I don't know why, but i can see you baking in the kitchen longing for someone to APPRECIATE your baking. Is there anybody in the neighborhood you would like to bake for? Your cooking sounds really scrumptious.

afm, i'm feeling a little on shaky ground. It's late, i still haven't eaten dinner. SO was supposed to be home before 9 before dinner, and he's still at his friend's house wtching the race. i have a plate of fresh veggies in front of me, and i know veggies aren't going to harm my health...so I admit I AM STRESS EATING. but at least i haven't gone to the store for crap to binge on.

also my little weight loss support group has been silent, and i'm feeling excluded and left out...like i did something wrong and the girls don't want to hang out with me anymore...plus my computer is super slow which stresses me out.

Beila 06-26-2011 01:24 AM

End of the day! I could have gone overboard at the store today. Ate a tofu veggie burger sandwich, which I've been CRAVING for for a while. I worked out hard and rewarded myself with it, and some cashews. After dinner, I walked into the store looking for more food, but then I just walked right out. I'm so silly sometimes! But at least I catch myself and avoid any binges that could come out of it.

Just one more day ladies! Let's make it through and end STRONG!

Jendiet--sorry to hear about the support group being silent. You should communicate to them. Maybe you can take lead on communicating every other day to everyone, making sure everyone else is doing okay, thereby making yourself included in the group. Perhaps they are feeling the same thing, like each one is feeling "left out". Don't call what you are doing "stress eating" but instead, just healthy eating. Veggies are wonderful foods to eat in large amounts. They give your body the healthy nutrients it's laking. Also, because you didn't eat on time, you may be hungrier than you think and therefore are eating more. You are making the right choices though. Stay strong :) My computer/internet gets slow too sometimes, and I just hit the reset button. No worries there.

FruitLady--I'm SO glad to hear you declare your Day 11! I haven't seen you this strong in so long! You stopped after you felt full, which is a great thing to accomplish. Sometimes it's hard to know when to stop, especially when the thing you're eating looks so good. And the fact that you made your banana bread healthy probably makes you feel fuller too. Whole wheat flour is more nutritous than white flour, so you're doing good. Keep making better choices for yourself and your health :)

MysticalCrayon--Welcome here! It sounds like you ate a lot of cheesy / fattening foods during your mini binge, and that you reach for cheese often. Were you needing fattening foods? If you were craving fattening foods, try hummus or peanut butter w/ carrot sticks or pita chips. I sometimes crave fattening foods, and when I think about why, I look at my food diary and see that I haven't eaten enough fat in my diet. Usually I am a sweet foods binge eater though, and I read that sweet foods causes an increase in seratonin (a pleasure chemical in your brain). So I'll binge when I'm sad so that I'll feel better. Anyways, there's a great article I found about why we crave or binge on certain foods, and I'll try to find it for you.

Beila 06-26-2011 01:34 AM

Here's a why we crave foods article...it's not the one i read, but a quick google search found a different one that's just as good...

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutri...-food-cravings

....it doesn't mention why we crave fat, but i'm sure it has something to do with hormones. Women crave more fattening foods than men so it must be the hormones...like PMS, or near TOM...my sister craved fattening foods during her first trimester and she was always skinny and ate healthy whole foods before. It was because her hormones of course, and her body fat percentage was too low for her to carry the baby, thus the cravings.

mysticalcrayon 06-26-2011 03:43 AM

Beila- Thank you for the link, interesting article...I think this time i was looking for fatty foods - I have been focusing on cutting fat out and eating protien and more veg etc. Need to focus on getting enough 'good' fats so going to look into making sure i get enough of these in my diets. It just scares me that I will lose control over it and end up eating the same amount of fat i was before, just in a different form! I normally crave and binge on salty foods - this is definitely something that i have been tryng to reduce - i added loads of salt to everything - even stuff that already has loads if salt in!!! WHat the article says about 'me' is very true lol - again, something i am working on...knowing I control my diet and activity and ultimately I control my weight and my lifestyle.

firebirdgirl 06-26-2011 09:21 AM

Day 13 for me without binge behaviour. This is the longest I have gone for at least 2 1/2 months! so I am feeling pretty proud of that. I am a little concerned for today thought. I have a terrible cold and some family issues and woke feeling very discouraged with life in general. A dangerous combination that leads to binging. Luckily I am not alone and that usually helps!

Vixsin 06-26-2011 09:56 AM

260!!!!

ncuneo 06-26-2011 11:31 AM

Just wanted to pop in and send my support out to everyone to finish the weekend strong!

desiresdestiny 06-26-2011 11:37 AM

Day 28......this is making me nervous...

fruitlady 06-26-2011 11:25 PM

Beila- thanks, I do believe we crave certain foods for a reason. I naturally eat low sodium & fat everyday. Whole foods don't have much in them. After about a week of this, I start craving peanut butter( fat) or i have a need for extra yogurt or my baked goods(salt) after I give in & eat what I'm craving, i feel terrific as long as I don't binge on it.

Jendiet- thanks, i love to bake & cook. I enjoy experimenting with substitutions to make a recipe healthier. I never have anyone to give it to, wish i did.

I don't know what to do, this would be day 12. Not sure if i should start over, my calories are 3447 for the day including my regular three meals. It was one of those days I was craving peanut butter & yogurt. I made 1 serving of P.B which is healthy cause I don't add anything to it, I just put unsalted dry roasted peanuts in the food processor and blend til smooth. I wanted to try peanut butter in my Fat Free vanilla greek yogurt, which tasted really good.
If anyone wants to try it, I added just 1 serving to the yogurt and stirred it up real good. Very filling & tasty.
Had 2- 2x2 pieces of banana cake & 2 -1 inch slices of banana bread after my morning walk, then later had healthy lunch. I didn't feel like making the chicken I was going to have for dinner, that's when I made the peanut butter. I ate like 5 yogurts total, had yogurt with every meal. I didn't feel out of control, I just felt like eating what I was truly hungry for without worrying about my calories. I feel like i over ate, but never felt overly full. I don't know, I'm confused. I feel guilty now for eating so much & taking in so many calories. This will cause weight gain! I ate alot of food but not because I couldn't control myself, it was all healthy food, just more than i needed to have. what do you all think???

krampus 06-26-2011 11:40 PM

I feel that way about yesterday fruitlady. I'm not "counting it" as a binge because I didn't go to bed and wake up feeling disgusting and sick. Maybe for people with this problem we can keep big binges away by having "refeed" days where we just eat to our heart's content without slapping the "disordered" label on it?

Beila 06-26-2011 11:44 PM

Fruit Lady--You ate a yogurt at every meal, not 5 yogurts all at once. Plus you have been on a low fat, low sodium diet, which means you will probably need to up your sodium and fat at some point, and that's perhaps why you craved PB today. The yogurt craving is probably due to calcium deficiency, and fat aids the absorption of it. I crave dairy when I skip my calcium pills (and I know for a fact I am low on the normal calcium range from blood tests in the past). Anyways, don't restart. Just think of your total intake today as an alert that you need to add more to your every day diet in order to find a healthy balance. You need to look at your week and balance it better so you don't end up eating too little for 4-5 days, and every 6th day eating more. Otherwise you'll feel bad after totalling the cals like you did today. Low fat diets don't work well for many people because you need healthy fats in order to lose fat, to lower LDL cholesterol, for vitamin absoprtion and for nutrient absorption from fruits and veggies. Also, fats will help your satiety level and stave off hunger. Try to eat more healthy fats at every meal so you don't crave the baked goods, or feel the need to bake. Those sugars from the baked goods and nuts are adding to the calorie count fast, so watch it with the PB and baking. Also, almonds and walnuts have better fats than peanuts, so you may want to switch to those instead. But don't do it unless if you can control eating them as snacks (small hand size).

fruitlady 06-27-2011 12:07 AM

Krampus- Thanks, yesterday i over ate too, but not as bad as today. I didn't feel sick at all either when I woke up this morning. Today was more calories, I didn't eat since dinner at 5:30pm. Hope I feel ok tomorrow morning, if I feel sick, I'll know not to ever go that high with my calories again.

Beila- Thank you, I actually can control myself with any kind of nuts as long as they aren't nut butters. That's why i make my own Peanut Butter, I can make 1 serving at a time. I love almonds, used to eat a few at every meal for fat, but kinda got out of the habit of doing it. I do eat some if i get hungry at night sometimes, takes the hunger away.

You guys are right, I'll count today as day 12. Still feel guilty eating so many calories, I have gotten used to eating 1200 calories a day, then seeing 3447 as your total, makes you feel like crap! The good news is, hubby ate the rest of the baked goods today. They are gone!

Thank you both for your help, i don't know what I would do without all of your support!!