The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

That is stpid because, if you don't pass the challenges, it really doesn't matter. And they could be filling for nothing.

It sold be about their own body any how to do the best and not take risks
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #47  

Ellie, you sure did scrutinize that show. Wow..I Just watched.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #48  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Height: 5'4"

I keep saying I'm not going to watch another season of this show, but I'm a sucker for before and afters. That said, I agree that the cast is way more likable than last season, and the unknown trainer thing should be resolved soon because I can see it getting annoying after a week or two.

But knowing what I know about the show, I really take it for what it is and realize there's a ton of editing and producer manipulation. While I may connect to the personal stories of these folks (Abbey from a couple seasons ago may have been my favorite contestant ever) and find them inspiring, I still have some huge questions about the safety of what they put these folks through. Taking people who are upwards of 400 lbs and have been largely sedentary and working them as intensely as they do from the jump just screams injury to me, and from what I've heard many times these contestants are encouraged to work through serious physical problems. Not cool.

While the huge weekly weight losses are great for ratings and very motivational, I still see a lack of accountability on the part of NBC in stressing that this is not real life and people don't generally lose so quickly at home. It may not be as exciting, but I'd like to see them back off on "hey! lose double digits every week" and focus way more on non-product placed healthy eating and real life levels of exercise.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Loved the show this week. So much better than last season already. I was one who was thinking of not watching again but then I couldn't resist. Most seem really likable. The trainer thing annoyed me too. Who would know who these people are anyway? Did any of you ever hear of Bob or Jillian before Biggest Loser? kwim?

Can't wait for Tues.!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #50  

not at all Mary. Not at all. So the new ones will do just fine also.. If not, Jillian will just have to make more appearances.

I think Bob is cool.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #51  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2reality View Post
I was very surprised that new trainers are being introduced this season, as well as some of the contestants trainer choices. May they all be successful!

Did you see the pound for pound challenge commercial? I've pledged 20 pounds. For every pound you pledge & lose during the challenge (thru the end of May), they'll match a pound of food for the local food bank of your choice, in the US.
I pledged 50! I wish I could have pledged more, but the max was 50.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #52  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme0510 View Post
It looks like it's going to be much better than last season. And for the record... I definitely would have taken immunity if I had the choice. I don't know why people think Bob and Jillian are miracle workers, they're just lucky enough to have been cast for the show, there are plenty of other trainers out there who know what they're doing. I can't believe the people who passed up the opportunity for 4 weeks of immunity (even Bob and Jillian thought they were stupid for doing so!lol). And I think it was kind of lame that they still didn't show the new trainers.
^^THIS!

IMO last season SUCKED majorly! This season is already turning out to be 100 times better. The contestants seem much more competitive and I love how they didn't send a bunch of them home like they have for past seasons. Haven't picked a favorite person yet. In all honesty, the only season I did pick a favorite person was the season with TARA. I loved her, I've never been so into a season as I have that one. Just something about the competitiveness and the passion made it irresistible to me. I hope this season will do that!

Looking forward to tonight's show.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 256/205.2/199

Height: 5'1

I think I read somewhere it leaked the male trainer is Brett Hoebel and the female trainer is Cara Castronova.
It was on last night but I didn't catch it. I DVR'd it and will watch this afternoon! Did they announce the new trainers yet? Did we get a sneak peak at the other contestants?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I just watched both episodes. WOW! This season has definitely taken TBL back to its roots and is about losing the weight. I like the lack of the mental games so far this season.

I am extremely fond of Courtney from the Aqua Team (and she has a cool name too! ), Jennifer from the Green Team, and Deni from the Pink Team. Those are my three favorites right now. Of course, that can change from week to week but I really like those three so far!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #55  

Height: 5'5

just watched the last chance workout and the weighin. Something went wrong on my pvr.

I'm really liking Arthur. Love his attitude last night at the weigh in. And I was glad to see him walking instead of the gym.

oh and I loved when Bob got all pissy with Allison

Last edited by cherrypie; 01-12-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #56  
~Kim~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
oh and I loved when Bob got all pissy with Allison
My husband got a kick out of that too. I told him she's probably just saying what they tell her to though. Oh well, it was kind of funny.

The show is already so much better then it was last season. The previews for next week make it look like they are going to finally show the new trainers. It's really dumb at this point, anyone who really wants to know who they are just has to google it.

Anyone else notice how when they show the red team getting interviewed at all the husband is the only one who says anything. The wife just sits there. I haven't heard a single word out of her mouth yet. My husband said she'll probably start talking as soon as she figures out how to pronounce her own name. It's something crazy like Larilamy.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #57  

Arthur is doing great. I just wonder where all that fat will go? Will we see it melt down or will it still be there. He is doing great. Nice of Bob to let him walk at his own pace. No one to disturb his goal
Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I love this season! It took about 10 episodes for me to care about anyone last season.

I like the Aqua team and the purple team (the 2 sisters with long hair.)

Everyone seems so on track with getting healthy (so many started losing weight before the show) and not just winning the game.

Way better!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

I am sooo glad that this season is going back to Biggest Losers roots. No one person has jumped as being my favorite just yet. As much as I love Bob and Jillian, I am cheering for team unknowns!

The sneak peak at next weeks episode looks good! I'm looking forward to the reveal of the new trainers and maybe learning more about them and how they're training the contestants. The part where we see Jillian walking out of the weigh in. Creative editing, maybe, but I wonder if someone throws the weigh in. That's the only thing that I know really pushes Bob and Jillians buttons like that.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

I've never watched the Biggest Lose before this season... my roommate was watching it last week and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'm definitely hooked. And the blue team just fires me up with everything they do... Arthur just walking the mile over and over and over was really inspirational. What a good reminder to just keep at it, no matter what, and do what you can do. And his positive attitude and victory dance was amazing! I was grinning through tears. I'm totally hooked.