The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #571  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjpy View Post
QUESTION:
Does it not seem right that they added the +3 lbs to the Black Teams weight loss (i.e. removed 3lbs), but then they removed them again tonight, by not allowing 3 of his pound to count. Doesn't this seem like a double punishment since they already had the 3 lbs count against them in the pervious week to count them against them this week? Maybe I just missed something.
I think this might be the show's answer to Neil's water play last year...the one where he deliberately gained 13 pounds to force the team to go to the elimination table. I can see where it might deter someone from intentionally playing with the scales again.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #572  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmyerica
Jay's chest...are those udders? OMG....I'm sorry, but I can't even look at the screen when he is up there. I see breast augmentation in his future.
I spit my coffee when I read that !! You're so right though....

I missed most of the episode .... I saw Rocco though .....
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #573  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmyerica View Post
Jay's chest...are those udders? OMG....I'm sorry, but I can't even look at the screen when he is up there. I see breast augmentation in his future.
Let's not be too unkind. I am sure many here would love to have the saggy boobs from losing that much weight.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #574  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not to be unkind, but I do think that whoever wins the prize money may be spending quite a bit of it on cosmetic surgery, since many insurances still do not cover skin removal surgery after weight loss - especially if the weight loss isn't specifically a result of WLS.

Losing very rapidly does increase the risk and severity of loose skin. I would bet most of the contestants will deal with it to some degree.

I often do find it annoying that they remove so much clothing to get onto a scale that isn't even real. I think that in many ways, it is unnecessarily sensational and exploitive. Yet I'm also glad to see fat bodies "exposed" on telivision without only shame attached, and a good part of the show does show fat people doing things many thin people watching can't.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #575  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

I have a prediction . . . in the clip of next week's show and we see Bob walking out . . . I bet Dan gets really angry and waterloads so his team loses. Just a thought.

My husband and I agreed Jackie was off when they played the video. She was strutting around like a rooster in the hen-house. They HAD to vote her off. None of those big, burly men needed a mother telling them what to do.

Last edited by ggmugsy; 02-06-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #576  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Mindy--that's an interesting theory about why Bob would walk out. It would be a suicide mission because they would vote him out for it, and I'm not sure I see him doing something so stupid. He'll want to stay in there now to win for him and his mom, hoping she wins the rest of the money as well.

Jillian has said on her radio program that a lot of the contestants have full body lifts. She actually rattled off several names and the surgeries they have had one day...I'm sure they appreciated that!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #577  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OK finally finished watching it on DVR....I knew she would be the first to go, but man, Jackie was my favorite on the black team. She reminds me of Dharma's mom on Dharma and Greg. Brit is probably my favorite overall.

I do have to add that I dont watch any of the chitty chatty stuff, I DVR it so I can watch it faster. That stuff drives me nuts. I just watch the challenges, workouts and weighins. I dont care to know the secrets of their soul.

Last edited by ennay; 02-06-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #578  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

OK I'm just jumping in in the middle here, but I Loooove this show. Does anyone else here wonder if the black team loaded up on a little h2o that first wk they were a team. Kind of a sacrifice method, we'll have low numbers this week but be able to kick butt next week! I'm seriously they had pathetic numbers last week and this week was awesome!
Also I think its a good thing Jackie got kicked off, I think Jay needs to stand on his own feet without his mommy!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #579  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMommy View Post
Does anyone else here wonder if the black team loaded up on a little h2o that first wk they were a team. Kind of a sacrifice method, we'll have low numbers this week but be able to kick butt next week!

I think that Jillian explained that it was because they were not eating their calories.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #580  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

Did Jackie really believe that Trent...being the kind of competitor that he is..would just bow out they way she wanted him too??? Like he is going to give up the chance to loose a tonne more weight, stay on the show longer, and win the $$$$?? I didn't follow her logic at all!
Unfortunately, I think the black team, in winning last night, and getting Jackie voted off, may have just made the blue team stronger. I am still in their corner though!! Love Britt and Bernie!!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #581  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
Jillian has said on her radio program that a lot of the contestants have full body lifts. She actually rattled off several names and the surgeries they have had one day...I'm sure they appreciated that!
They must not care if people know. I saw Suzy at Costco a few weeks ago (she looked great - heavier than when I last saw her, but she had a baby) and then the very next night they announced on local news that she was having plastic surgery - I think she was doing it live too? I didn't follow the story. But she certainly wasn't hiding the fact - it was on prime time news here in Seattle!

BTW - I LOVED Jackie's house last night!

Last edited by Nori71; 02-06-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #582  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo2SweetPeas View Post
I saw Suzy at Costco a few weeks ago (she looked great - heavier than when I last saw her, but she had a baby) and then the very next night they announced on local news that she was having plastic surgery

BTW - I LOVED Jackie's house last night!
Can you imagine BEING Suzy? I would have to look in her cart and judge her, and I am sure about every other person in Costco who knows her does the same thing. "Hmmm, no wonder Matt got heavy again...ground beef, not ground turkey. And are those peanuts I see in there? tsk tsk tsk"

And I had horrible kitchen envy for Jackie!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #583  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

no BL for me last night...freaking election coverage here in CA. I Rocco, too...another eye taco. I forget what show he had, but it was a reality show to be the chef of a NY Restaurant. Good stuff.

I believe the proper term for Jay's boobs is "moobs"...dunno what the term for what I have is...something including the word floppy.

For the finale they never have to take their shirts off. Unless they want to like the old dude last season...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #584  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

QUESTION:
Does it not seem right that they added the +3 lbs to the Black Teams weight loss (i.e. removed 3lbs), but then they removed them again tonight, by not allowing 3 of his pound to count. Doesn't this seem like a double punishment since they already had the 3 lbs count against them in the pervious week to count them against them this week? Maybe I just missed something.

Yeah I didn't get that either. They added it last week but only gave him 9 instead of 12 lbs this week. Doesn't seem fair at all.
*adding to my own post. They didn't do that with Neil when he drank the water and put on 17lbs the one week and dropped 33lbs the next. They gave him that whole 33lbs.

Last edited by Catsgetnhealthy; 02-06-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #585  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

I forget what show he had, but it was a reality show to be the chef of a NY Restaurant. Good stuff.

It was called The Restaurant and it was his restaurant, but he wasn't very good at making money. They ended up taking it from him or he gave it up.