The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #481  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
BL has just been one of my favorites and I felt it had more of a positive purpose in the way it changed the participants lives (or at least had the potential to if they stuck with it afterward). Just seems like now the emphasis is not on the weight loss or making positive changes as much as shaking it up for ratings, and I find that sad. A lot of other shows, like Big Brother, you know it's in the gutter and just expect that, they didn't start out with a bigger purpose and slide downhill.
I completely agree with you.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #482  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
I wasn't surprised a purple went home... I'm really satisfied with the teams that Bob chose.

Did I mention he looked super hot winning over Jillian?
Chelle--be honest. Bob could suggest adding babies for protein to your Weight Control Quaker Oatmeal, and you would forgive him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
It's funny, because my husband hates the show, and plays computer games while I'm watching, and even he noticed how mismatched the teams were, and commented on it, saying "how can they pretend that's fair," and compared it to watching jeopardy and seeing adult geniuses pitted against fifth grade special ed students.
I don't think they have ever tried to pretend it was fair. I think they are trying to make good TV.

I agree that they must assume the audience is moronic. I am willing to go a step further and say that they make assumptions about an audience that is more likely to be overweight. I think they see us as more emotional, dumber and enticed by drama.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #483  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

So TBL is looking for pairs again? I am so ready to do that! I am willing to drop everything that's going on in my life for the opportunity to focus just on me for a good run! I can only imagine how well I would do, how much weight I would lose when that was ALL I had to do! Who wants to partner up?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #484  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I agree onthetee...I didnt ever get the idea they were trying to play the teams off as fair.

You know, NBC sells those BL shirts but the biggest they come in size L/XL. I emailed them and asked them why they were ignoring the target market of this show and they refuse to answer my question. Just thought it was kinda funny, they do a show for fat people but dont make sizes big enough for us to wear.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #485  
Melissa

SB...if I could get out of classes without the financial penalty I'd sign up for sure!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #486  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
Chelle--be honest. Bob could suggest adding babies for protein to your Weight Control Quaker Oatmeal, and you would forgive him.

Yes my dear.... you are correct!

I don't care how far in the gutter the show goes.... as long as they keep Bob around to show me some of his fine self every week I'll be happy!

OMG! totally forgot....

Anyone see him do the downward god... um I mean dog pose last night?
Look at that cute little butt!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #487  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #488  
Melissa

LOL Chelle you are too much! I got down and dogged with him!!

Last edited by Hun.e.B; 01-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #489  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I love doing a modified downward dog, with forearms and palms ON the mat. SO much better for me!

Maybe we should start a thread for people interested in applying and pairing up. I am serious, I want to do it, and no one in my day to day life is looking to lose weight!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #490  
Melissa

I bet there's gotta be someone around here that would LOVE to sign up and needs a partner too! And you've got a great shtick you met in a weightloss support forum!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #491  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post

Anyone see him do the downward god... um I mean dog pose last night?
Look at that cute little butt!
Totally agree man!!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #492  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
LOL Chelle you are too much! I got down and dogged with him!!
HA! So did I. I had to keep my drool in check. The boyfriend was watching with me! LOL!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #493  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

I agree that Jillian seemed "off" during the competition. I wouldn't have wanted to pick teams. How awful for everybody involved.

I lost a lot of respect for Bob after he KNEW Bernie and Brit's feelings had been hurt and he said NOTHING to them about it. He was completely cold when Brit was crying at the weigh in. I understand why he picked the people he did, but the former blue team had bonded with him and I believe he owed some sort of explanation or apology to them. Particularly Bernie.

I'm sick of Kelly and I don't like Paul. He's a loose cannon. Eating all that food at the first temptation, not eating his calories now . . . blah, blah, blah. I'm certain every contestant has been told they will lose more weight by eating the proper number of calories. Isn't this entire competition supposed to be monitored by doctors to make nobody endangers their health?? He's either a total idiot for cutting back so much or he's lying through his teeth.

Wasn't Jenn's weight loss 7 pounds last week and 6 this week? She's hit a consistent stride IMHO. It's the yellow team that is inconsistent.

Kelly is injured and so is Paul. I know this opinion won't be popular but I felt Jenn pulled her weight and the yellow team didn't. I'd have sent one of those two home.

Brit kicked fanny. She looked so strong on the escalator!! I think she's emerging as my favorite contestant.

I, too, am interested in the TOM situation. How can they avoid discussing something that can completely throw the weight for each woman off for a week each month??

Trent was amazingly flexible. Fun to watch a man enjoying yoga like he did.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #494  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

First, I could not be more tired of people moaning about how they weren't picked. This is not the fifth grade. Grow up. Maybe Bob didn't pick Blue for the obvious reason that they are dull as dishwater. How bout that for a more "acceptable" reason?

The Jillian crying thing was ridiculous. They're obviously trying to soften her up but she's as hardcore competitive as anybody I've ever seen. I thought most of the tears were over getting her A** handed to her in the challenge. I don't think she would throw it; I think Bob just ran her into the ground.

Kelly, Stop Crying! Holy cow she makes women look bad.

Paul did not Gain 3 pounds because he cut his calories too much. That was crap. Too few might make you stall but it doesn't make you gain 3 pounds in a week. You need extra calories to gain. He ate too much, it's that simple. Ninja boy ate too many pieces of Extra gum, apparently.

Totally developing a crush on Roger. That accent just kills me and he is just so sweet. He was cute fat and he's only getting better.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #495  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Kelly, Stop Crying! Holy cow she makes women look bad.
I am a weeper by nature. I cry at EVERYTHING. I cannot listen to country music; I cannot read certain children's books; I cannot watch Oprah. So I try to be really sympathetic to those who also are cry babies....and Kelly is even getting to me.