The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #586  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I think this must be teh new NEIL RULE guys. Double jeopardy, so to speak. Really makes a person think - penalize you now, penalize you later. Otherwise, it would still be too attractive. It's the other half of last season's MATT RULE!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #587  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmyerica View Post
What a great episode. I didn't mind the political updates since I'm watching this race VERY closely. (with a Daughter in the Military, this election is very important!) Anyway, GO BLACK TEAM!!! Take that BOB, you little cheater you. Karma came, it saw, and then it kicked Bob's butt!! I actually like Bob, but I didn't like how he stacked the deck. Looks like his plan is going to backfire. Heheheh.
Okay havent read every post yet but how on earth did bob cheat? Its not cheating when they tell him if he wins he gets to pick whatever team he wants. He won, fair and square and he picked his team just like he was allowed to. where's the cheating?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #588  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post
no BL for me last night...freaking election coverage here in CA. I Rocco, too...another eye taco. I forget what show he had, but it was a reality show to be the chef of a NY Restaurant. Good stuff.
LOL, this cracks me up everytime I read it, what exactly is an eye taco? I've never heard that phrase before! I love Rocco!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #589  
Melissa

I cannot wait till next week! Im going with whoever said that Dan is gonna waterload, and if he does what a sorry loser! Seriously. Talk about some drama!! Not nearly enough Bob in this episode though, but Rocco is a lovely alternative. Rocco and Bob in the same show...what more can you ask for!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #590  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Bob didn't cheat. Neither did any of the contestants who water-loaded before a weigh-in to minimize their weight loss, nor did any of the contestants who lied or mislead their fellow competitors. The fact remains that all of those actions, while not prohibited, violated many people's concept of fair play. The word "cheaters" was applied to these people as well in this thread and others, and while technically not true, the "unfairness" does strike people strongly.

This is my primary problem with the show, and it nags at the back of my mind, even as I enjoy the show. The show is stacked against certain players, who have absolutely no chance at the final prize. Some of the challenges are also stacked against certain teams and individual players. And while the show doesn't promise to be fair, when it is not, people notice, comment, and criticize.

The show was not created for the competitors, nor for a fat audience. It was designed as a "gawkfest" for thin and average-sized people. As Melissa pointed out earlier, they do not even sell plus-size tshirts on the website. They may not have responded to the question, but the reason is obvious whether they replied or not - they aren't targeting a fat audience. If they were, they would be marketing to us.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #591  
Melissa

I checked again recently and now you can get a black shirt in size XL or XXL but not the blue or any of the other shirts they offer.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #592  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post
:I believe the proper term for Jay's boobs is "moobs"...dunno what the term for what I have is...something including the word floppy.
floobs?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #593  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I have floobs.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #594  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
Jillian has said on her radio program that a lot of the contestants have full body lifts. She actually rattled off several names and the surgeries they have had one day...I'm sure they appreciated that!
I am so disheartened to hear that. At the end of every season I notice how great the contestants look (no saggy skin) & was hoping that it was those super workouts that did it.

I read a lot of posts on diet boards where people are just planning to have plastic surgery after their weight loss. Is everyone rich except for DH & I? I don't know but dropping $10-20K or more just isn't something in our budget. Ugh. I was hoping I would look great like they do. Hmmm.

Sorry...not meant to drag down the thread...just sayin'
Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #595  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Wait a second....isn't it against BL rules to have surgery before the finale? I know I read that somewhere. No WSL or WL meds. So they would have had the surgery after the season finale, right?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #596  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I never see much skin at the finales? They are usually dressed. I think J meant that after the show they have the surgery.

I think Brit pulls another 10+lb loss next week. And that sends Bob over the edge. I have no idea!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #597  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo2SweetPeas View Post
I think Brit pulls another 10+lb loss next week. And that sends Bob over the edge. I have no idea!
I'm kind of worried that she might pull a big loss, but say something that upsets Bob...maybe something about how he made her feel like a loser when he didn't pick her.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #598  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

My thoughts are leaning more toward the producers throwing another curveball at them. Mixing the teams up again, or some new "rule" created to cause drama, and therefore ratings. Probably not, but that's the thing that makes me most crazy about the show, so I'm probably projecting.

Side note: I've created a monster. It seems that every week my Mom calls during BL. This week she didn't call...because she was watching. So she called last night to rehash it all with me instead.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #599  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo2SweetPeas View Post
I never see much skin at the finales? They are usually dressed
I do. I notice wobbly arms, saggy knees, chests and bellies (I'm not criticizing, I think it's a natural part of the weight loss process for most of us) and really don't think they have had surgery at that point, but many have it afterwards.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 02-07-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #600  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yeah, I've seen a lot of sag on the finale...especially the tummies. I'm one of those who'd love to have surgery, but probably won't be able to affort it. So, I'll have to invest in some great spandex to suck it all in and fool the masses!