The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #706  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

OMG.....what happens next week??????????? Why is everyone crying??? I hate cliffhangers!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #707  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

My 2 cents as usual....
  1. there is a moment when Paul is at home, and has recorded himself in a steaming hot tub, with a coke nearby, and saying that "it's been a rough week so far"....I love to have his rough week!!! Goodness...
  2. the family and friends for the most part, and this was particularly true in Paul's case, were so NOT supportive. I couldn't believe how one scene had Paul's family and friends egging him on with the hot wings and a sky high cake! What the heck??? I couldn't believe how in the majority of the contestant's reunions, there was plenty of sweets and fattening foods galore....doesn't sound to me like the family and friends really understood the whole concept of losing weight here....
  3. one thing that I kept looking for was scenes of everyone exercising at least while at home. while they showed a few, for the most part, one was left with the impression that everyone else didn't really do much. so I was very surprised by the massive amount of weight loss on the blue team, but not so on the black team....
  4. and finally, I can't believe they voted off Paul...think about this now...he's their biggest player with a lot to lose, and they're competing against an all male team....therefore, you need a big hitter on your team as well, and I'm sorry, but Bernie hasn't been doing too hot in that dept.
The previews for next week was a huge spoiler in itself! I immediately recognized in one scene the elimination room, so obviously the blue team lost....one wonders why though...unless after such huge numbers this week, their bodies went on strike....
Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #708  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I think Paul was doing okay in the house. He seems to me to thrive on the competitive spirit. At home with people shoving food in his face it his only competition is going to see who can eat the most chicken wings. I was so hoping it was just editing that they sat down three plates full in front of him.

I liked that Bernie said something to his mom about the sweets. I did want to smack her silly though when she replied that not everyone is on a diet. I also can't believe he willing went into that bakery.

I think the Blue team has a lot more support at home. While there were sweets there the wives were encouraging the guys to eat healthy and to think of the kids. The Black team doesn't have that spousal support.

I don't remember in all the past seasons if anyone ever didn't have a nice house. By the looks of things they could all have afforded personal trainers, IMO.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #709  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkemomx2 View Post
I don't remember in all the past seasons if anyone ever didn't have a nice house. By the looks of things they could all have afforded personal trainers, IMO.
Exactly!!! I have yet to see one contestant that's from the projects, or lives in a trailer at least....
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #710  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
I think it is sad that losses of 5 or 6 are considered "not good enough".
This made me sad too.

I feel like this is one of those weeks where a LOT must have been edited out, or something fishy is going on. That huge difference in WIs (double digits for all the blues?!!?) can't just come down to behaviour at home, y'know? Just being on an airplane 2x in a week would have me up a couple pounds!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #711  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Also - Paul's girlfriend sure does look like similar to Kelly, eh?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #712  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisClaws View Post
I did want to smack her silly though when she replied that not everyone is on a diet.

The Black team doesn't have that spousal support.

Yeah, Bernie's mom put in a lot of effort for his homecoming! Store-bought pastries. Nice.

But the Black team has more control over their lives, which I think is a plus. When I was single, I worked out all the time, I bought whatever food I wanted (not pop-tarts and canned peaches, which, thankfully I have weaned DH from), and I was not trying to accommodate the schedules and whims of three other people. I did not always make great choices, especially when I was working and in grad school, but I had more control over what I did.

While they may have nice houses, that may not be an indicator of wealth. There are many people in my uppity neighborhood who cannot afford to be here. And remember Julie? She was in a dinky little apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceliving View Post

Yeah, noticed that immediately.

Last edited by onthetee; 02-20-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #713  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceliving View Post
Same crunchy-permed hair and all.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #714  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

HA! I noticed that too.

Also, maybe I am just nit-picky, but Paul and his family all have whiney, annoying little voices, LOL! They grated on my last nerve.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #715  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
HA! I noticed that too.

Also, maybe I am just nit-picky, but Paul and his family all have whiney, annoying little voices, LOL! They grated on my last nerve.
I was going to say the same thing about Kelly. I noticed that even when she wasn't crying, her voice sounded whiney. Hmmm??
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #716  

I too was pretty upset about the amount of junk food being forced on the contestants but then I started thinking, they all refered to it as a challenge, maybe the families were asked to provide all this crap food. I think Paul's pigout at the hotwings place clued me in, how many restaurants do you know of will provide free all you can eat hotwings for that many people?
I think they were required to go out to eat and the friends and family weres supposed to tempt them.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #717  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Yeah, you are prolly right about that Bette. I sometimes forget that the producer's of this show set things up for the 'drama" of it all.

Did I hear right last night that Jillian wanted them to get in 15 miles in one day??? I am lucky to get that in one week, much less a day. How long would ya have to be on the treadmill to get in 15 miles??? anyone know???
Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #718  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Too dang long, Diva!

I found out by watching this show that Paul and Kelly live in my city! How weird is that!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #719  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Yeah Paul's Kelly-Clone girlfriend freaked me out a bit too.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #720  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
Too dang long, Diva!

I found out by watching this show that Paul and Kelly live in my city! How weird is that!
Be afraid.....be very afraid! LOL!