Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #121  
Believing is Seeing

S/C/G: 260/188/150

Height: 5'6"

Hello Blue Team:

Amy - you kids look so adorable, I could just pinch their cheeks! Thanks for the day brightner.

Kelly - Thanks for reminding us to post our workouts. I have been faithful with the workout, but not the posting. It's all caught up now thanks to you.

Jo - you have been an inspiration all through this challenge with your dedication and proof that dedication pays off. Thanks for being so right on.

Vix - congratulations on the loss this week and looking so good in black!!! I've been having some fun in my closet too.

Kim - like you, I am jealous of both Kelly and Nori who weigh more than I do and are in much smaller clothing! Makes me want to go lift weights!!!

Renee - I think your plan of relaying your weight through Jo sounds reasonable and will keep you in the challenge. Have a great time btw.

Anna - I can empathize with your MIL problems, right now dh and mil are in silent mode. Yesterday, he handed me the phone while talking to her so I could "verify" his "story" that he had tried to locate her, blah, blah, whatever. After clarifying these things were true, she said, "Well, anyway . . ." and I cut her off right there and said, "No, not anyway, what I just told you was the truth." She then back-pedaled and started explaining where she was blah, blah. But she called later to say she wasn't coming over to our 5th of July celeb (needed to wash her hair and she is home already and all). She told him she didn't appreciate my tone. Hey, I'm the one who has eaten this lady's sh** for 30 years. Then there's the trips to the eye doctor, and the repairs to her car, her garage needs a new roof, and her complaints about her daughter living with her, and the weather, the woman NEVER says anything good!!! Yet every Sunday she sits next to me in church, hearing the same sermons I do, but right out the door, she's at it again. Rant, rant, rant - sorry, dh is not sure if he should call or just leave well enough alone and meanwhile, guess who's his sounding board???

I lost 2 pounds again this week, total 21#. Life is good. Amen.

Dora
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #122  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'm reporting a -3 loss for Week 11, yay!

Vix! You hot mama!!!! You look great, what an adorable dress! Whoo hoo! You are doing fantastic!

Dora, Way to go on the loss, you're so consistent! Awesome!

Anna, I don't EVEN wanna look at what hangs down when I exercise. Scary, you're very brave!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-07-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #123  
Made of Starstuff

Confession Time!

I have not been making solid choices this past week. And I cowardly waited until the last moment to weigh in, hoping beyond hope that I'd get my act together alone. *sigh* When will I learn that group support is not a crutch, but a tool.

My unhealthy choices are just that. Choices. And despite the ample opportunities to make better ones, I continued in a descending spiral of "I'll do it tomorrow"s.

But here I am. I quickly made it to the gym to weigh myself. A reminder. A reminder that I'm never out of the woods. That I must have constant vigilance.

None of my excuses matter to my body which uses or stores my calories for what they are. Brain and body don't always connect. And an endless series of "Idonwannas" won't hault fat storage.

Being out of my element is difficult, but it is not an excuse! And I've been using it like one. This makes me angry at myself. Good! I need to be angry at myself.

No one has ever regretted eating well & exercising. I won't either.

Ahem. Thank you for listening to my rant.

My goal for today: An exercise plan for the week.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #124  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixjean View Post
Kelly - you keep pounding out those 5ks. Do you walk or run or do C25k or what? Do you have a specific 5 k goal a week? Also, are you doing them your treadmill or outside? =)
Vix - I am doing a modified C25K program, since I have to do mine on the Elliptical (my knees can't take the impact of actual running), I do a longer version. For example I am doing Week 8 (I actually have 10 weeks in what I am doing) and I do a 5 minute warm-up, then a 20 minute run, 5 minute jog, 20 minute run, 5 minute jog, then a 5 minute cool down for 60 minutes on the Elliptical and got in 4.8 miles this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimProbable View Post
Can I take a moment to be jealous? We're the same height and practically the same weight and you're getting into 12's while I'm just back into my 15's. I'll try to take comfort in the fact that my shoulders are feeling positively bony these days, but I'd really really appreciate it if my dumpy rear would fit into 12's! The last time I fit into a 12 I was 40lbs lighter than this.
Kim - Yeah, but at least when people look at your face, you look thin, I still look very heavy in the face. I didn't even realize that you were around my weight, I thought from looking at you that you were in the 180s. I am still top heavy, esp in the arms, but hopefully the lifting will help that. I'll see you in Onederland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doragone View Post
Kelly - Thanks for reminding us to post our workouts. I have been faithful with the workout, but not the posting. It's all caught up now thanks to you.

I lost 2 pounds again this week, total 21#. Life is good. Amen.

Dora
Dora - That would be me the perpetual nag.

Congrats on the 2 lbs. I would love to be seeing 2 lbs loses again (sigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I'm reporting a -3 loss for Week 11, yay!
Josephine - OMG! You Rock Girl!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #125  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Stupid period is obscuring the results of my hard work!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #126  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hello, all

My body seems to be happy at 291. That makes me NOT happy Time to crack down on my laziness and get back to exercising.

I've been doing a lot of reading/research on my diabetes. I've found articles and studies showing that gastric bypass surgery sends type 2 diabetes into full remission in over 80% of patients. And it's not a result of the weight loss, as the remission can happen in as little as 3-4 days after surgery. They have conducted studies on rats and are currently conducting studies on humans who are NOT obese (though not in the U.S. since NIH does not allow gastric bypass to be performed on non-obese patients) to see if the surgery can cure diabetes. So far, it appears it does.

I do qualify for gastric bypass based on my BMI. I never wanted to do it for multiple reasons - it just didn't feel right for me personally. However, I find my diabetes to be a larger concern than my weight, so I may need to revisit the option. My doc had mentioned the possibility of lap band to me, but that does not yeild the same results with the diabetes since the diabetes remission has been linked directly to the disconnection of the duodenum, which doesn't happen in the lap band procedure.

Anyway, lots to think about. I also have to research whether I could have a healthy pregnancy after gastric bypass (or duodenal switch surgery, which has a higher success rate than standard gastric bypass but requires the patient to have a BMI over 50, which I currently do not--though I did earlier this year).

So that's where my mind has been. It's a lot to think about, a lot of reading to do, and a lot of questions to ask.

In Blue Team news, I posted a -1.5 for last week. I'm hoping to break below 291 this week so I can post a loss. If I can get to 289, I will have borken through 3 weight decades during thie challenge--the 310s, the 300s, and the 290s
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #127  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Non scale victory --- I bought a size 12! Now granted they were from old navy and I know that their sizes generally run bigger, but hey Im going with it. In reality I am a comfortable size 14 and squeezing into 12's, and you know what...I am thrilled with it. I started at a size 22. I weigh what I weighed when I was about 18. I was skinnier then, because my body was different but in terms of weight I weigh tthe same.

The scariest thing happened to me yesterday. I was out for a bike ride and I went down this huge hill so I was going really fast. When I got to the bottom of the hill I started to pedal to go up the hill, I was slowing down a lot because of the incline and THANK GOD because all of a sudden there was a HUGE bang and my back wheel just started wobbling back and forth. My back tire completly blew. I was going slow enough at that point that I was able to stop my bike and not fall but I just think had it happened 30 seconds earlier I would have been toast.

*** I had a fear of riding my bike before because I have 2 hips replaced and I thought that if I fell I could screw them up royally. Now I am not sure I will be able to get back on my bike at all.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #128  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
Stupid period is obscuring the results of my hard work!
Thanks for the reminder, Anna--I didn't even think about it, but that's probably why my losses came to a screeching halt over the past week and a half. My lovely visitor arrived very much UNscheduled, so I didn't make the connection
Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #129  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Hello, all

My body seems to be happy at 291. That makes me NOT happy Time to crack down on my laziness and get back to exercising.

I've been doing a lot of reading/research on my diabetes. I've found articles and studies showing that gastric bypass surgery sends type 2 diabetes into full remission in over 80% of patients. And it's not a result of the weight loss, as the remission can happen in as little as 3-4 days after surgery. They have conducted studies on rats and are currently conducting studies on humans who are NOT obese (though not in the U.S. since NIH does not allow gastric bypass to be performed on non-obese patients) to see if the surgery can cure diabetes. So far, it appears it does.

I do qualify for gastric bypass based on my BMI. I never wanted to do it for multiple reasons - it just didn't feel right for me personally. However, I find my diabetes to be a larger concern than my weight, so I may need to revisit the option. My doc had mentioned the possibility of lap band to me, but that does not yeild the same results with the diabetes since the diabetes remission has been linked directly to the disconnection of the duodenum, which doesn't happen in the lap band procedure.

Anyway, lots to think about. I also have to research whether I could have a healthy pregnancy after gastric bypass (or duodenal switch surgery, which has a higher success rate than standard gastric bypass but requires the patient to have a BMI over 50, which I currently do not--though I did earlier this year).

So that's where my mind has been. It's a lot to think about, a lot of reading to do, and a lot of questions to ask.

In Blue Team news, I posted a -1.5 for last week. I'm hoping to break below 291 this week so I can post a loss. If I can get to 289, I will have borken through 3 weight decades during thie challenge--the 310s, the 300s, and the 290s

I have heard the same thing regarding diabetes. It is a major surgery but could essentially cure you of that (well not cure you but ykwim). I had a friend that just had it done 3 weeks ago and she was at church on sunday and has already lost 30 pounds.

Another friend of mine had it done and lost over 150 pounds....and then proceeded to get pregnant and have healthy triplets. She has maintained her loss.

You have to do what is right for you.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #130  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4girls View Post
Another friend of mine had it done and lost over 150 pounds....and then proceeded to get pregnant and have healthy triplets. She has maintained her loss.
That is very encouraging to hear!

I know it sounds silly, but honestly, losing the weight faster would only be a perk in my mind--my goal would be to head off my diabetes. Being only 25 at diagnosis, I have a LONG time for diabetes related complications to occur. If I'm going to do a major surgery like this, I want to do it now while I'm not yet married and don't have kids. At first, I thought it felt selfish to have the surgery just to help with something I currently have under control anyway, but the more I thought about it, the more selfish I felt for NOT doing it, as my reason for not having the surgery would basically be so I could be a hero, ya know? I could lose the weight and control the diabetes and lower my blood pressure all by myself! Well, that might be all well and good for the next few years, but 20 years down the road when my diabetes becomes more difficult to control and then I DO have kids...I need to take care of me now so I can take care of others for the rest of my life.

Sorry to babble so much about this--it's sort of been consuming my mind for a few days now
Old 07-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #131  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixjean View Post
Hey all, we just discovered this new show on www.abc.com called wipe out. It is so funny. You can just go to the website and watch them there.
Oh my gosh I love that show. I watched it at work last week and had to stop because I was laughing so hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4girls View Post
Things do happen for a reason, and I am thrilled that I got this job. I start in another month.
Way to go on the new job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
My happy news this a.m. is that I just crossed over the -50 pounds lost mark this morning with a lovely whoosh. I down -51.4 pounds overall, which suddenly seems significant in my head. Only 16.4 pounds to my goal is a little mind-boggling, frankly, but very motivating! I worked VERY hard last night to stay completely on plan during the BBQ we threw at my house and then later as DH and I biked to watch fireworks and he was munchie and drinky and it was hard not to want to eat, eat, eat and drink, drink, drink and be a part of that kind of celebratory fun. But I got a whoosh on the scale this morning as a reward for staying true to plan, and that made me feel so great!
Seriously you are amazing! Why can't I be more like you?

So this weekend was really bad for me. I let stress dictate what I ate and it wasn't good. I'm back OP today, but I'm tired of being on and off plan all the time. I don't know how to start getting my motivation back. I hate feeling this way.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #132  
Accepting who she is

Jilly--here is what I can tell you from my childbirth ed/doula career. I never had an obese patient who did not develop problems with the pregnancy and end up on bedrest. Ever. They all went into it thinking that their weight would not be a factor and they either ended up hospitalized or on bedrest.

They continued to eat too much and to eat crap. They did not realize that they were eating for their helpless baby instead of themselves. They would walk into class with fast food bags; they would turn in their food journals, which I know were probably fudged, and I would cringe. So while the obesity in and of itself makes a pregnancy high-risk, the habits that created the obesity are of greater influence.

In addition, what obesity and diabetes do to a pregnant body is torturous. There are some things that kidneys are not prepared to do.

While there are some risks to having had either lap band or a more invasive surgery and a pregnancy, it will force you to change your habits and the way you approach food. A healthy-weight woman needs only an additional 300 calories a day (after beginning of second trimester) for a healthy pregnancy. An overweight woman only needs about 100 and possibly none after the third trimester as long as she is hitting her nutrient and protein quotas. You will already have your food under control and probably not be diabetic. So much better for your body and for your baby.

Other unfortunte truths? OBs treat fat moms differently. They tend to dismiss them and write them off as c-section patients before they even talk to the mom about her wishes. They assume they will have an interventive labor and delivery and that fat moms either cannot or will not deliver naturally. They have the course of your pregnancy pre-determined.

I love that you are taking such responsibility for your choices and your health and planning for future little people. Even to consider what will happen with "someday" pregnancies is more than most people do.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #133  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulpinkangel View Post
Seriously you are amazing! Why can't I be more like you?
enviable, isn't she?

Two bits of truth:
1) Josephine was not always like Josephine, unless she is an imposter (we have yet to see the 'before' pics ) who always was thin and who comes here to torture fat chicks. She has been fat, and she is working harder than she ever has to control that. Which leads me to

2) She faces the same choices everyone of us does. Put it in my mouth, or don't put it in my mouth. Have you seen her blog about the Newman O's? She wrestled for 20 minutes with those cookies, and she won.

Now, I will grant that she has some advantages some of us don't. She is not working right now, and she is not messing with kids all day. Getting a healthy body is her job. That gives her some latitude in planning her days around what to eat and her exercise. I get an hour a day. At this point in my life, I am not getting any more than that. I will never log the exercise numbers that she does.

So you CAN be more like Josephine....we all can. In those moments when you have the food in your hand, think of her and what she would choose.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Good morning Blues!

I'm so incredibly not ready to be out of bed yet. I'd counted on DD sleeping in since she was over-tired yesterday and we went swimming for a few hours but she was wide awake at 6:30. Fortunately I was able to half sleep for another hour as she nursed then played in bed for a bit but I'm seriously dragging my butt after being up late last night.

DS is gone to day camp today and will be spending the night with my parents tonight so I'm going to see if I can burn through a bunch of cleaning with only DD around. There's also a story time preschool program at the library this afternoon that I'll try to drop in on. DD suffers from "second child syndrome" and rarely gets to do things that are actually just for her. She's normally a tag-along at everyone else's events.

I'm going to get my run in tonight when DH gets home from work but before he heads out for soccer. My leg pain is non-existent for the first time in weeks and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll stay that way!

Hopefulpinkangel - Walk away from yesterday and all the other days of not being OP. Don't let the past dictate the choices you're making today. Choose to be OP right now and just focus on that.

Jillybean - Babble away! This is a focus for you right now and here of all places you should talk about weight-related issues as much as you want. I'm a firm believer that the more energy and thought you put into something the more you make it your reality. That's why I spend so much time thinking about running.

Momof4girls WTG with the new size 12's!! I'm so totally impressed that you've gone all the way down from 22's! And thank goodness that your tired didn't blow on the way down the hill. Hopefully you'll feel OK getting back on your bike soon!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #135  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Morning Everyone

I'm back from my mini vacation. It was short and sweet Missed you all and now I have some catching up to do reading all the previous posts Hope everyone had a great July 4th weekend. TOM's here this week so it's not that much fun. I'm back to my exercise and eating OP routine this week. Hope all of you have a wonderful day and week ahead of you!