Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #826  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Anna - I've read a bit about Dave Ramsey's plan. I need to stop procrastinating and put it into practice though.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #827  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

When I googled SLUGS I got this:

Sun Lovers Under Gray Skies Naturist Events Club

If you're picking up naturists, I hope you spray the seats down when they get out.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #828  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I pick up slugs, too. I hate to see them suiciding on the sidewalks when the sun starts blazing so I always move them into the grass. They must be terrible procrastinators because they have ALL NIGHT to cross the darn sidewalk, but NO, they make a "run" for it a 7am and then get slammed by the massive Florida sun and shrivel up. I'm too tenderhearted to be a witness to this slaughter. So I'm a slug rescuer.
AHahahahahahahahaha--I'm almost laughing out loud at my computer desk. Not because this is particularly hilarious, but it is very funny in contrast to what an actual slug line is

From my understanding, this is how the slug lines work around here: people who need a ride stand at slug stops (usually near a bus stop or something), and people driving to work just stop by and pick up anyone who is heading in the same direction. My head can't quite wrap around how reliable a mode of transportation this can be, but it works for a lot of people and saves some people some bus fares while basically running an impromptu ride sharing program.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #829  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

I am siting here at my computer laughing and Mrs. Boss is looking at me like I have 3 heads!! Funny Tyler!! I love this!!

I also like Dee's explanation of it too. Naturists!! I agree - disinfect immediately!!

Last edited by chiquita623; 04-25-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #830  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
AHahahahahahahahaha--I'm almost laughing out loud at my computer desk. Not because this is particularly hilarious, but it is very funny in contrast to what an actual slug line is

From my understanding, this is how the slug lines work around here: people who need a ride stand at slug stops (usually near a bus stop or something), and people driving to work just stop by and pick up anyone who is heading in the same direction. My head can't quite wrap around how reliable a mode of transportation this can be, but it works for a lot of people and saves some people some bus fares while basically running an impromptu ride sharing program.

Well color me embarrassed!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #831  

Dave Ramsey - no, I've not heard of him.

Good Dr. Reports - YEAH ! !

Earning Degrees - YEAH ! !

Getting toasted - sorry for your headache in advance.

Slugs - Try Milwaukee's Best...just kidding

Calorie Cycling might work.

I haven't been to a class at this gym, but one of my goals is to take a spinning class by the end of the summer and not need anyone to break out the portable defibrilator.

OK, sorry for the Reader's Digest version on responses, but it's FRIDAY ! !

Hi Everyone - Everyone doing well? Looks like the weekend weather is going to be good in my area, I hope it is in your area also. BIG NEWS: I am wearing size 14 jeans RIGHT NOW ! ! Down from a 26 in Jan. 2007....wooohoooo...BIGGER NEWS: I had to move the drivers seat closer to the steering wheel this morning...my tush was THAT BIG and now that I've lost some of it, I don't have as much padding that kept me close to the wheel. WEIRD! I cannot wait for the challenge....As someone wearing pink recently said "I'M GOING TO BE THE NEXT BIGGEST LOSER".

onthetee, don't read this:
Yes, the fuel situation is getting out of hand. I know it has been crazy and I know I should have been driving something more eco-friendly, but like all stupid Americans it's now becoming about the economics of driving, not about the environment. We currently do not have a car payment...today I am running the numbers to see what gas prices have to hit for it to make sense for us to get something along the lines of a hybrid. I know, I know, that is not why I should be driving something that uses less fossil fuel....I know. I really wanted to wait for the electrics, but now I might just be waiting for the 2009's as the Prius is supposed to reach 50+ mpg.

OK, I'm off to do a little more research...HAVE A GROOVY DAY !
Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #832  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

Jill got it right, not the rest of you "Slugs" The main reason people do it is to be able to ride in the HOV (so you don't have to google it and get it wrong again Dee - that is High Occupancy Vehicle). You need 3 to ride the I95 HOV to N VA/DC.

I work in Crystal City 3 days a week, but with my Hybrid, I get to ride alone, since part of the purpose of the HOV was to reduce the amount of emissions being produced. I get this privilage until 1 July 2009, unless they extend it again.

Like I said in the mornings they aren't that many people out looking for a ride into Crystal City where the closest "Slug Line" is for me, but I can sometimes get them in the afternoons when I have late meetings. We even have a website for DC called www.slug-lines.com. They have rules about slugging.

It has become more popular of late with the increase in gas prices.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #833  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
OT: Anyone else into Dave Ramsey?
Yes, totally into Dave Ramsey. Dh and I have his books and are working thru the work book. We started a couple months ago with the envelop budgeting and it has been a wonderful experience so far. I am excited to get out of debt and Dave Ramsey is awesome.

If you have not been before come check out this site. It is for people who are following Daves plan.
http://www.livinglikenooneelse.com/forum/index.php
Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #834  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

BTW....HI to everyone! The summer challenge will be my first biggest loser challenge here on 3FC!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #835  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

just thought i'd share this because it gave me warm and fuzzies

as for the slug thing.. i've got a friend who do this every day on her way up to Crystal City from Woodbridge... works fine for her
Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #836  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Wow, I've never heard of slugging! How cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krjpy View Post
You need 3 to ride the I95 HOV to N VA/DC.
I think only 1 hwy is SEA area is 3+ and the rest are 2+. (Vanetta?) I can see how 3+ would bring about slugs. When I work, I don't take any freeways, but I know lots of people do ride share when there are freeways involved in their commute.

I'm wearing my 16W jeans today and have received 2 complements! Feels good. Not getting too comfy here though. Out of the W's!!! Into the Misses!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #837  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

LOL--about Slugs because I knew what Kelly meant because I live in Arlington. I took a ride once when I was younger--it was so hard to get to my volunteer assignment (2 buses and 1 metro ride. I was dedicated ! I went back to volunteer when I could drive. So much better)--and I was terrified the entire time. My mom was so mad when I told her later.

Purple,Nori & Kelly--It's Bally's. There's quite a few around here but the 3 I generally go to are Landmark, Pentagon Square, and Falls Church. The one in particular I was referring to is the Pentagon Square one. Spinning classes are a trip too. People get there at the crack of dawn to stand in line. My mom used to meet me at the Pentagon Square one because she works at the Pentagon so it was convenient. No more. We both have mini gyms--meaning we both own a lot of equipment and accessories-- in our homes so we are both content to exercise in the comforts of our homes to skip the drama.

Nori & Vanetta--what great non scale victories!

Tina--Where ya at? I'm on Day 32!

Last edited by Shay; 04-25-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #838  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

YAY! Vanetta that's awesome! A size 14 AND the car seat situation! You've made me so proud!!! I am having the baggy underwear situation, my rings keeps slipping off my finger and my shoes are slipping off my feet now. I guess I lost weight in my feet! How weird. I never thought THAT would happen!

Anyway, a word from Jillian:
The Right Attitude
Do you have what it takes to reach your weight-loss goals? If you think it's all about diet and exercise, you're wrong. It sounds crazy, I know. Exercise and a proper diet are crucial to any weight-loss and fitness program. But, to reach any long term goal — especially one that requires major lifestyle change — you'll need to improve your attitude, too. You can have all the external support in the world, but if your self-esteem is in the toilet, you'll never have long-term success.
Having the right attitude is so important because thought is behavior. The power of the mind is total — the way you think about yourself manifests as your reality. We all know how easily negative thoughts can lead to lack of confidence, hopelessness, and depression. You've heard about self-fulfilling prophecy, right? Well, if you tell yourself that you'll always be fat or never find happiness, chances are you'll end up fat and unhappy. Hey, it makes sense.

Okay, let's turn that scenario around. Tell yourself that you can get fit and you will be happy. It's that simple. You can master your own fate with positive thinking!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #839  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxulcmnky View Post
as for the slug thing.. i've got a friend who do this every day on her way up to Crystal City from Woodbridge... works fine for her
woohoo--more Virginians! My last apartment was in Alexandria, inside the Beltway. I soooo miss that location now that I am in Woodbridge!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #840  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Quote:
woohoo--more Virginians! My last apartment was in Alexandria, inside the Beltway. I soooo miss that location now that I am in Woodbridge!
ohh you're in hoodbridge

i <3 alexandria. i work in DC on the navy yard, so my commute is a whopping 10 miles each way.... too bad on horrible traffic days it can take me like 2 hours to get home