Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:47 PM   #76  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Wednesday

Rain today and I spent the day cleaning windows, paintwork and kitchen cabinets, still powered by yesterday’s gymn session. You may wonder, as I do frequently, how all this is taking so long when the house is really very small. I think it’s linked to the fact that the SO and I have prioritised looking after people for quite some years. Cleaning has been very much lower down the list and in a small house there’s nowhere to move things round to when cleaning without serious upheaval. Anyway, it’s getting done now.

It’s Ash Wednesday and I find myself wondering about giving up sugary things for Lent. This wouldn’t be a religious thing but it might make me feel part of a very large group of people all doing something very similar for a set period of time. I’m not sure whether this would help or not. I’ve avoided sugary things all day except when I forgot and put some mango chutney in some soup. There was no way back from that once it was in! Do any of you give up something for Lent?

gardenerjoy, that’s interesting about new varieties of apple. I’ve been very underwhelmed by ones I’ve tried but I grew up in an orchard so I know I can be a bit sniffy about fruit! Thanks, Bill, for the apple rankings site - most of them are completely unknown to me.

Bill, credit for planning your snow shovelling, again and again. This house needs to be painted inside but that’s not going to happen, I don’t think, unless it doesn’t sell. It also has some problem areas with mould which are very tricky. I think bleach may help to get us over the line here.

curlyjax, we have light switch problems too - it’s a small and annoying thing. Good idea to put a few things together for someone to sort out. Thanks for the link to your toaster oven. I always wonder what on earth one of those can be but have never looked them up. Now I've got a clearer idea. I think that it does the job of what I would call a grill (that's heat from above) and perhaps a small top oven.

maryann, things are sounding pretty relaxed over there, even with mood swings. Cross-country over a turquoise lake - just beautiful.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #77  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've been encountering some lack of willingness to do healthy things or productive things. I eventually realized that I'm experiencing allergy malaise -- the elms and juniper are already pollinating, and I can see from the buds that the maple will be soon. It's mild enough that I don't feel really bad, which was why it took me so long to pinpoint the culprit. But it does make watching YouTube look like more fun than pretty much anything else -- including making good food choices.

Now that I have awareness that allergy season has begun, I can identify acts of self-care that prioritize healthy-eating and exercise and mood-boosters.

Exercise: 60, 805/1700 minutes for February
Old 02-15-2024, 05:52 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday- Socrates sentenced to death: corrupting the minds of youth (399 BC, Athens)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Excitement was picking up the (8 yo) DGD from First Grade. She came with a bag of Valentine's gifts as well as a box stuffed full in her backpack. Just tons of valentines. Entertainment was opening them onto their living room coffee table. She explained her relationship with each kid. She, herself, was very curious about what would be in the Valentine from a boy she doesn't like, "And he doesn't like me." It was just one more - this one was Harry Potter themed. Out of about 25, only two were handmade. The school rule had been that you don't have to give out Valentines but, if you do, you have to give one to everyone. Good rule.

Was awarded good husband credit because I volunteered to drive DW to her evening meeting and to go back to pick her up to come home. The predicted snow would have made parking impossible. When no snow materialized, she drove herself as she always does. And I enjoyed uninterrupted time alone while basking in credit for such a gentlemanly act. Getting full credit for no effort feels like I've cheated the system.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Except for eating a Tangerine on the drive home - a planned snack. There's a reason that it wasn't a Clementine. There's a shortage after all Spanish Clementines were banned from entering the US "after inspectors in three states found larvae of the Mediterranean fruit fly." Some larvae broke up a massive industry. Must have hurt a bunch of folks in the supply line. Hope the problem is fixed; we'd become strong Clementine fans.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - So odd to think of allergy season at the same time as thinking of shoveling snow. Hope you find the right mix of counter actions to keep yours under control.

Silverbirch - Do know the experience of being appalled at the dirt found after moving an item of furniture after years. Am always struck with the thought that my lungs were processing the same air that carried all that stuff. Haven't given up something for Lent in decades. An option for me would be to give up wasted Internet time but I don't know how long I'd last.

maryannFairmont Chateau is just dazzling. Neat that you're able to entertain yourself after dark even while you're sitting half-way to heaven.

curlyjax - Those small house problems are a pain. Smart move to gather a bunch to make it worth an electrician's time to come fix them. Maybe you have an overhead light fixture that you've never liked that could be replaced? Yep, that's the same Black and Decker Toaster Oven that we have. May you also get a decade of use out of yours.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Stage 5 - The Motivation-for-Life Plan

You gain a little, go back to consciously using your skills, and then lose the extra weight again.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 202.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-16-2024 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Oops - Change Scotish to Spanish Clementines
Old 02-15-2024, 07:55 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did break down at work and get into sweets with all the Valentine treats around, ugh. I got in some exercise walking around a fair bit at least-or rather limping. I received a phone call that put me in a tizzy; i'm supposed to get a cardiac consult but it isn't until May, way after my surgery. Fortunately I also had a phone check in with the anesthesia department afterwards, who stated I'm okay for surgery. They walked me everything; where to be dropped off, what to bring etc, and its all in my health portal too. I must say everyone has been very nice and reassuring. I've been reading about people's experiences on hip replacements; some people were much worse off than others which makes me nervous since its a different surgeon, and i'm 4 years older and 10 pounds heavier. I'm going in with a good attitude and with as much prep as I can anyhow. This is pretty much what i'm focused on these days
Gardenerjoy-allergies can definitely make one feel unmotivated, good you figured that out.
Maryann-good that you're going to somewhere more lively. The skiing sounds wonderful.
Silverbirch-I find the same issue about cleaning and storing things in a smaller home. I'm taking notes about your house selling journey. I have mould I will need to address and a host of other things when I am actually ready to sell; it seems overwhelming. The first step for me is decluttering for sure. I haven't given up anything for Lent, its an interesting idea.
Bill-ooh I didn't know that about clementines. It is good that schools are declaring that about valentines now; it used to be a popularity contest and was very hard on some kids.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:15 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Rough- night and morning. my traveling mate is having a work crisis. ( I gave up suggesting she not read emails after she wold me the toilets were clogged at work from people throwing food in them. This while sitting in a stunning glacier view restaurant eating a sublime baked squash. Hmmmm.) She was quiet last night and i thought she was mad at me. I was struggling with heat - could be sick or sore or both. Anyway she apologized yesterday for the silent treatment and then continue to declare how empathetic and sensitive she was while receiving incendiary calls in the room.

Into action. After too much internal energy I decided a day skiing with her in 5 degree weather on crappy snow would not work. I begged off and am now sitting quietly in a palatial "family" room with mountain views and a chai tea. I am proud of myself that I told her I was internalizing her struggle and because of my recent black dog experiences was not up to containing anyone else's stuff ( i said it better than that.) So I am now on my own thankfully - with a lap top for surfing, chess lessons and posting. I have half a book, an exercise class today and a trail to the glacier this afternoon when it warms up. I'll see my mate for dinner. It is the best I can do.

Wave to all and i am still too self centered to write personals. Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Old 02-15-2024, 02:34 PM   #81  
Green Tomatoes

I'm happy to pass the half-way mark on my exercise ahead of time. I'd be ahead if this were a 28-day month -- I'm really ahead for Leap Year!

My original plan for the week was to shop for groceries tomorrow, but we're expecting snow. It's all supposed to come during the day tomorrow when the temperature will be above freezing. That combined with how warm the roads got this week with sunshine and highs in the 50s means we probably won't have any sticking to the roads. But I didn't want to take any chances, so I went today. No one else seems too worried. The store was its usual quietly humming self for a Thursday morning.

Exercise: 60, 865/1700 minutes for February
Old 02-15-2024, 03:01 PM   #82  
in development

Default Thursday

Drizzle and more cleaning. Glass continued to be a theme as I did some kitchen cabinet windows, the wood stove and the outside of windows. Clean glass really does punch above its weight when you look at effort expended against amount of difference made for length of time. I think that hoovering and cutting the grass are possibly also like this. These might come top in a list of things to sort out. “Five things that will transform your home!” Am working on the other two. Could be a bowl of fruit in good condition (got that). Soap that matches your bathroom (got that). Freshly made coffee and bread don’t last very long. Will think about it a bit more and then pitch to a magazine perhaps - or not!!

I’ve managed not to have any sweet things today which is pretty good, and I’ve felt the better for it. It seemed easier to avoid them when I thought of all the others giving up something for Lent. Tomorrow will be a test as I have a gymn session at 8.30am, followed by shopping with free coffee. As we all know, there’s no obligation whatsoever to buy a cake to go with that. I could put the money saved in an envelope or something in the car.

gardenerjoy, allergy malaise isn’t nice at all. Well done for identifying the problem and for developing ways of dealing with it over the years. I hope that you can start to minimise its effects soon. Great to hear you're ahead with exercise and also have the groceries in.

Bill, full credit for no effort - it’s the thought that counts and you would have acted, had it been necessary! Re the clementine problem: I’m pretty certain that citrus fruit isn’t grown in Scotland apart from a few non-commercial personal crops. So “it isnae oor maggats, pal!” **

curlyjax, having a good attitude and being well prepared is terrific! Good to hear that everyone is nice and reassuring.

maryann, well done for navigating the tricky situation, putting yourself first and being assertive. Big credit!

** “It isn’t our maggots, friend.”
Old 02-16-2024, 06:23 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday- French Government decrees A-note above middle C is frequency of 435 Hz (1859)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Attended my first in person class for the Spring semester. I'm in a small class of eight who are all English majors taught by two English majors. Humbling to be the last to see the metaphor behind every observation, the double meaning of every encounter, the generalization of every act. Even though I've now read James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room twice, when we read a passage in class I learned that I'd missed a bunch. Will have to run to keep up in that room.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner entree was a terrific dish of salmon and new potatoes cooked in the microwave oven. So good. Hustled off to watch our Blue Ray DVD of David Attenborough's Blue Ocean II. Continue to be mesmerized by the creatures. Watched an octopus outsmart a hungry shark. After the shark had caught the octopus so that it looked liked the fight was lost, the octopus stuck tentacles into the shark's gills preventing it from getting oxygen. The shark had to let go; the octopus escaped. All in high definition video with the sonorous voice of Attenborough telling the story.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL that your exercise goals have to squeeze into the short month of February - slightly relieved because it's a leap year.

Silverbirch - Fun to hear how you're optimizing the time spent making your house appeal to buyers. I agree that clearing mold is more important than painting. Thanks for catching my transcription error attributing Clementines to Scotland rather than Spain. Google says that the major US import from Scotland is whiskey. Apparently, we import a lot.

maryann – Super pleasant day you've planned for yourself. Smart to look after your needs. Enjoy your tour of the glacier there.

curlyjax - It's such a challenge to get all the permissions from other doctors in order to have a procedure. Congrats for solving the problem over the phone.

Readers -
Quote:

The number on the scale will continue to tell you exactly how you're doing.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:43 AM   #84  

On plan for eating at work yesterday, and got some movement in as well. Home to help DD get food ready for another overnight work session. Talked with my one of my dad's helper about his upcoming birthday. She had got the okay from him to invite a few people over for his birthday dinner; I called to talk about it and he told me he didn't want that I'm going to go ahead and order food anyhow as he seems to be changing his mind and not remembering. It's a bit tricky as one of the other folks have memory issues too, but if we don't do anything then he probably won't be happy either. Also dealt with an issue with my aunt, and caught up with a family friend on the phone. My hip was killing me and I didn't get much done at home other than dishes but oh well. The fire dept is coming to check my new furnace today and everything is a mess but oh well on that too!
Wave to all, happy friday and a 3 day weekend, yay
Old 02-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Friday, Coaches.

After calling several support team members ( including posting here) I was able to transition nicely with my buddy to a smooth evening. Dinner was a Swiss fondue place. We ordered the fondue experience. I am sorry to say ti was not my favorite or worth the calories. The cheese was fine ( but so is velveeta!) The dip ins were cold. Nope, didn't like that. Then we thought we were cooking meat but it was a steak which was good but not an experience. The chocolate fondue was dessert was mediocre. So for a nother million dollars I say, "meh." I also binged on some frosting by myself which is old behavior. I am quite ready to get back to my routine at home.

The snow is terrible so there will be no skiiing today. Instead we are going to buy ice crampons and walk Johnsons's ice canyon https://hikebiketravel.com/johnston-canyon-ice-walk/. No tour, just us. Then on to Calgary with an early morning flight home.

BBE: Don't discount your own interpretations of the stories. The meaning of art is what it brings out in you.
Curly: So sorry your hip is hurting.
Silverbirch: Despite all the work, I bet the satisfaction of a good cleaning feeling is something.
Joy: congrats on the exercise progress.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:10 AM   #86  
Green Tomatoes

No snow yet on our snow day. But it's definitely gray enough out there to believe that it's on the way. I hope to get a walk in the snow, if it's pretty when it arrives. I have the winter gear to make that work.

Here's my reminder that snow days, even when I walk in them, require no extra fuel. If I want something warm when I return, hot herbal tea is as good as anything else, and it has no calories.

Exercise: 50, 915/1700 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes and silverbirch: Thanks for clearing up the Scottish Clementines. I thought it was a varietal or brand name, but that didn't make much sense either. I bought California oranges yesterday and they're yummy.

curlyjax: Enjoy your three-day weekend!

maryann: Thanks for the report on the fondue place. That's a temptation for me. It's good to have a reminder that it wouldn't justify either the calories or the cost.

Waving to onebyone and anyone else who drops by.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:39 PM   #87  
in development

Default Friday

I had a very good session at the gymn this morning. It’s so good to be back there and in the swing of things.

I did some shopping and had a free cup of coffee. I was pretty tired and slightly wobbly after the gymn so I had a bit of a think before I went into the shop. Yes, I would have a cup of coffee and yes, I did need something to eat. A cake wouldn’t work as it is against my Lenten vow. I decided to have a sandwich, even though I don’t think they are much good. At least it would have some protein in it. I decided to check the calories (all our food has calorie counts on it now). 400 and something for a sandwich and 200 and something for a cake. I went for the sandwich, the right choice as it kept me going for some time and I had no desire for anything else sweet. In the future, I’ll make a sandwich at home and take it with me. Credit for not caving in to a cake and for taking the time to hammer out something workable.

And today’s excitement was … more cleaning. That’s a joke! We plan to hammer away as much as possible over the weekend and see where we get. Oh, and a bowel screening test kit arrived in the post.

Bill, how excellent to be in that English class! They’ll keep you on your toes which is such a good place to be. Glad to hear that enough of “the water of life” is making its way over to you all.

curlyjax, well done for navigating the family issues. And credit for doing the dishes! Oh, a three-day weekend for you!

maryann, you sound intrepid with your crampons, off to walk the Johnston Ice Canyon!

gardenerjoy, hoping you get pretty snow to walk in today!
Old 02-17-2024, 07:21 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Sardines first canned by Julius Wolff in Eastport, Maine (1876)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the subway for an evening excursion to an opera, The Anonymous Lover, by Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges. Was excited because we'd heard music by Bologne this summer in a concert on the Boston Esplanade. It was celebrated that he was bi-racial because we're into February as Black History Month here in Boston. It was light-hearted music for ninety minutes; no one died; everyone gets married in the final act while singing of the joys of love. A graciously amusing evening. There were no music majors to tell me that I wasn't listening hard enough. Is useful to remember that music by "The Black Mozart" was written by a guy born eleven years before Mozart.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Fell for an afternoon snack as I was (happily) banging my head understanding several videos of MIT classes about using Deep Learning for image recognition. Need to kill the notion that mental stress is eased by almond biscotti. Lectures for MIT students are aimed at agile young minds. Mature minds do well to back up and repeat a section in order to let it sink into the neurons who feel entitled to just sit without all this new stimulus stuff pouring in.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for hot herbal tea with no calories to get warm after a walk in the snow. Snow days without snow seems to be the norm, now.

Silverbirch - Congrats for enjoying your FREE cup of coffee without falling into the pastries. The cleaning will someday come to an end.

maryann – Does that ice walk look like a great adventure. A few decades ago it was very popular to have fondue parties. I fondly remember eating too much bread and melted cheese and making a mess. Haven't done it in years.

curlyjax - Tough to make decisions for someone who might not remember conversations. Do love reading how you continue to care for your Dad despite the challenges of distance. Can't imagine having the guillotine over your head of a visit from the Fire Department to examine your new furnace.

Readers -
Quote:

Over time, you will learn from these small peaks and valleys. You will get back on track sooner.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:12 AM   #89  
Green Tomatoes

Surprise! We got more snow than expected and it stuck to the roads almost immediately. The problem was that the temperature stayed below freezing instead of above.

It was all pretty stressful because I have a big day planned today -- a morning in-person meeting that I set up with a venue, our usual Saturday vigil, and an afternoon bus tour with the local historical society to learn about Black heritage in our community.

The in-person meeting proved to be the most difficult. We decided last night that we'd go for it because the roads were being quickly cleared by snowplows. Then, this morning, we had a request to switch to virtual -- plus, I realized that I had no idea when the venue would plow their parking lot and it has a hill to enter. So, we made that change.

I still intend to go out for the other two events. Our driveway is steep and snow-covered. I'll go down very slowly. I talked to a neighbor late yesterday and they're going to let me park at the bottom of the hill if I can't make it back up. In fact, I may do that anyway just in case I needed to get out another time later. Tomorrow's high will be in the upper 40s, so it didn't seem worth it to get the tractor and plow out.

None of this requires extra food. In fact, changing the morning meeting to virtual means that I get to have a hot lunch at home before I leave and don't have to worry about packing a sandwich to eat between events. I'll pack a couple of granola bars in case I get hungry, but I'd rather come home and fix my usual afternoon snack.

Exercise: 45, 960/1700 minutes for February

silverbirch: Packing a sandwich for after your workout sounds like a great plan.

BillBlueEyes: The opera sounds fun. I recently got what I thought was a book from the library that turned out to be a CD collection from Great Courses. The lectures are only 30 minutes and, as I recall, Great Courses was always designed for the older learner, so I'm hoping that it will turn out to be useful. We had to order a CD/DVD USB player because my new computer doesn't have a slot for that.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #90  

A few folks were out at work yesterday so I pitched in with various things which was fun and made it a super busy day. I picked up Panera for dinner on the way home, then met the fire department guy. He literally took 1 minutes to check the connections and was out the door. I asked him if he knew some of of the firemen in the town I work in, and oh yes, X was one of his good buddies, so we laughed about a small world.
I decided to lie down for a bit and watched the documentary No Limits about thalidomide babies, in which I learned how a **** doctor and others convicted of war crimes in Germany were instrumental in creating and forcefully pushing this drug, which they greatly profited from. There was one woman Dr. Kelsey who prevented the drug from being approved here in the US. It's a fascinating documentary, but I wouldn't want to watch it while pregnant.
Afterwards DD and I managed to get into one of our drawn out skimishes which is not a good way to start the weekend. I did manage to sleep late so I won't be totally zonked today. The microwave died and now i'll have to make another trip to Target sigh because that is a very important kitchen device in my household.
Gardenerjoy-wow, you're getting worse weather than us I think. That bus tour sounds very interesting.
Maryann-The ice canyon looks beautiful. Frosting is indeed a tough one.
Silverbirch-great job choosing the sandwich indeed. Lucky to do the bowel screening that way instead of colonoscopy!
Bill-that opera sounds lovely. Good for you for challenging those neurons.
Closed Thread