Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:09 AM   #16  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default complaints at 4am

Coaches:

I'm having trouble sleeping tonight. At least I can use this time to check in with you all...y'all
Today we were able to remove the thin plastic sheet the dr. put over my two wounds yesterday at the conclusion of surgery. i found the plastic almost unbearable. I thought it was because the adhesive was really strong and my skin was trapped in one position until I could release it. No. It wasn't that. I developed small blisters here and there along the outer edge of that plastic sheet. I have an allergy probably to the glue. But my skin is overactive with itching and rashes still so that may have contributed to the reaction. I have strict orders not to use any water around the wounds for 2 to 3 days. Better if I can do that for a week. The blisters worried.me.about breaking and.possible infection. I gently covered them with bandaids.

I think I need to sleep in the bed going forward. Because of these stitches, it is very difficult to get in and out of bed. Our bedroom is small and it's been easier for me to get in bed from the foot of it a.there is little room on the side. I think tomorrow I need.to make some room. I know what I can try and I think it could help. I have had a very uncomfortable night so far. My upper back feels atrained.

*sigh* coaches. Im just feeling really stressed and hopefully sending this off will help. Plus it will.be day 2 of healing. Things can only improve. Maybe tomorrow I can get a walk outside back into my life. I know that that is a really good thing that I can do for myself.

Goodnight.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:53 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Roman Emperor Septimius Severus dies in Eboracum (York) in England (211)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Outrageously wonderful String Quartet concert for FREE at a public library. We had up front seats in a gracious room. The leader spoke to walk us through the differences between the String Quartets of Bach, Mozart, Boccherini, Haydn, Beethoven, and Debusssy. All in just a few minutes, accompanied by a few bars from the music of each. They performed one movement from a String Quartet of each to get us ready for the concert. Never has anyone made the changes from the 1600's (Bach) to the 1900's (Debussy) so clear to me. Makes me want to take some music appreciation classes. Also makes me want to play the cello, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with snack blown up because our FREE concert was followed by a FREE reception. Ouch! Got stuck having a bunch of store made cookies and common cheeses and crackers. Would have been easy to skip it all as "had all this before and will again" except we were so psyched from the concert and enjoying noshing with the musicians.

At the library, DW picked up a DVD of a movie that she'd heard was great. With no warning of what it was about we watched The Power of the Dog. Took me a while to figure out that something was happening. Then I got it. Both of us were just blown away. Spent a full hour afterward reviewing our different memories of the clues to those parts that walloped us upside the head at the end as a surprise. Would recommend watching it without reading all the analysis beforehand. Let your brain slowly put it together. One comment noted that many folks immediately wanted to watch it again to pick up the clues that they'd missed.

onebyone - Yes, a walk outside tends to cure anything. Continue to send support as you continue to tend to the parts of your body that need attention.

Silverbirch - LOL at your “bulb lasagne”. Gardening always seems to bring surprises. By-the-by, DW sneered at me for noting that Snow Drops had already appeared in Wales. They're poking up here, too. Apparently they jump at the first warmth.

maryann – Congrats for limiting yourself to a single taco at the Mexican restaurant. Congrats for remembering that you had replacement swim suit. And even found it!

curlyjax - You've got a busy day of steps to keep the ship afloat. Shuddering at buying a toaster oven. The one we use daily cost $19.99 more than 10 years ago and does just what we want. The new ones cost upwards of $100 and do everything. So they say. SIL has one and it takes forever to make toast, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Stage 5 - The Motivation-for-Life Plan
The following techniques will help you remember why it's so worth it to keep up your efforts.

Go back to Phase 1. Remind yourself how easy it had become to practice these skills. Return to implementing them daily: . . .

7. Give yourself credit for every positive diet- and exercise-related behavior.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 200.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:53 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Sunday!

Yesterday was one of those cherished Burst of EnergyIi have that gets so much done. I took two buddies to view the Riverhouse and finish the pruning. We had a great time and I had one taco but two jarrito becuase it took an hour to be served at the tiny Mexican restaurant in the tiny town next to the River House. I drove the ladies home and was inspired to take my 3 mile walk without even going in the house. I was already dressed for it. Then coming back from the walk I took on serious pruning of three brushes becoming trees. there was enough groun growth that i just lopped the trees off. Sore this morning and didn't sleep well.

Shopping this morning in the rain. I need to get up early and out before church lets out. The kale salad is still going strong 3 weeks later. I will pick up another bag. I have price compared Sam's club to Grocery Outlet. I'll make my first run at 7 am. Then slip in at 10 am ( Sam's club) when they first open. I have a plan
.I have a 2 yo bday to attend where I can hold a new baby girl to the family.

I am an impulse gal and decided to list on Posh the Gucci necklace I bought three years ago. i listed it at double the price. I will see if it sells.

Frugal
1. Organized my library accounts. The one in Truckee needs to be renewed.
2. Making yogurt today.
3. Used the fruit picker to get the very last of the fabulous tangerines.
4. Told DH that for Valentines day he needs to find me salvaged rusty Obejtd'art. We inherited a large sunflower and now I have a few other things in mind. https://ibb.co/XbzkJW8

Silverbirch: My mini declutter was throwing away the doubles of the photos Dad sent me of his visit. ( you struck fear into my heart talking about repotting. Too advanced for me.)
BBE: I just put a hold on Power of the Dog.. I didn't know Libraries allowed you to request DVDs. excellent. I know nothing about it so yeah.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-04-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My massage was fabulous as usual. We chatted a little bit and she shared that as a 30 year old its hard to find friends, which I commiserated with as I remember that-both of us grew up and went to school elsewhere. I treated myself to my usual Brazilian coffeeshop coffee and late breakfast, then off to Trader Joe's where I bumped into a friend who is thinking of starting up a book group and invited me. We were in one years ago and I really liked 2 of the members so that will be fun if it happens. Home to sort through paperwork that had piled up, then shredding a lot and out it went as well as recycling papers that have been sitting around forever. There's more to go but it looks much neater, and inspired me to vacuum a bit too. I splurged on a pizza as I didn't have the energy to cook. I'm much more productive when there's a deadline, and when I have a dedicated day to get stuff done like papers. If I have too much time it doesn't seem to happen.
Today is possibly the toaster oven, planning some meals and more groceries, getting bills done and out.And prepping questions for meeting my surgeon tomorrow, yay. It's sunny again which makes a huge difference in how I feel and productivity.
Silverbirch-What a difference a day makes indeed! I can tell you are indeed a pro with the idea of measuring what fits in the car etc. The garden sounds lovely with different waves of flowers.
Onebyone-ooh, I'm sorry about the blisters and how uncomfortable you're feeling. I hope you sleep better tonight.
Bill- I would love to have attended that class, and join you in the desire to take music appreciation classes. I have a limited space for toaster oven so that narrows the field, so hopefully it won't be too much.
Maryann-yay for burst of energy day. I have a an old metal sunflower that my grandfather made, sitting in the yard. It makes me happy to look at it.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:00 PM   #20  
in development

Default Sunday

Ploughing on here. I’ve cleared the garden of all chicken wire (used for peas and beans, and for keeping cats off prepared bare earth), rolled it up and tied it into a bundle, then put it in a sack. I am very pleased with myself about this. I’ve tidied the shed a bit, put some more things in it and fiddled about with sacks of compost. All in all, very satisfactory. Things are coming along but I haven’t done any serious cleaning yet. Food has been all right but possibly slightly too much.

onebyone, walks outside are good for body and soul, however short. Hoping you managed to get one in today.

Bill, that concert sounds wonderful. I like string quartets and I’d really benefit from learning about them like that. Taking up the cello also sounds wonderful! Go for it? I’m glad to hear that snowdrops are poking through in your neck of the woods too. Early food for the bees!

maryann, there’s no hurry to move on to repotting. You’ll know when the time is right. (And it’s not difficult!)

curlyjax, having a regular massage sounds heavenly to me. Great work, shredding and recycling. Also vacuuming!
Old 02-05-2024, 01:02 AM   #21  
persist

Coaches

I did at 15min walking video today. That's what I wanted to report..

Tomorrow all day at Sunnybrook and first two uses of the port: drawing blood and infusing medication
Plus I see the Dr tomorrow. I have my questions ready.

Goodnight
Old 02-05-2024, 01:21 AM   #22  
in development

Good night, onebyone! Sleep well.

(And good morning to me!)
Old 02-05-2024, 07:21 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - The Hermitage Museum opens to the public (1852, St. Petersburg)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Visit with the (3.5 yo) DFGD, DS, and DIL was the standard chaos. She rearranged the animals in a Fisher Price farmhouse - as would be expected. Then ran around our house collecting every animal she could find. DW didn't object to a ceramic elephant being shoved in but had to save a pair of horses whose legs were about to be broken off to get them through the barn doors. For some reason four of us played the card game Remember where one tries to pick up a pair of matching cards. It was a fine ego trip for her; she remembered every turned card. I lost. The images on the deck made for this game were of bizarre characters in odd combinations. My brain just didn't have a way to categorize any one of them. She won; time passed; there were no melt downs. All my goals were met.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. While they were visiting, I joined my DS to nibble on the roasted peanuts that I'd put out hoping that he'd make some of them go away. He did, but I did also. Did get a chance to talk to him about how small companies motivate staff with company stock options. Early employees get stock options with a very low buying price. As the company progresses - while staying in business - the buying price goes higher. The new hires are essentially given a chance to finance the company. So folks have to juggle whether their stock will ever be worth money as well as juggle whether their career path suits them.

onebyone - Hope your day at Sunnybrook goes well today. Congrats for getting in that walking video.

Silverbirch - Chicken wire is the worst stuff to try to bring under control; Congrats for taming yours. You should be pleased.

maryann – That's a lot of stuff done in one day. Love the image of picking "fabulous tangerines".

curlyjax - It is difficult to make new friends once past college when new friends are still just happening. Smart to have a written list of questions for your surgeon visit today.

Readers -
Quote:
The following techniques will help you remember why it's so worth it to keep up your efforts.

Go back to Phase 1. Remind yourself how easy it had become to practice these skills. Return to implementing them daily: . . .

8. Go back to checking in with your Diet Buddy daily.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-06-2024 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-05-2024, 07:45 AM   #24  

I stayed in bed for awhile yesterday morning whilst I finished the rest of the bills etc for my dad. I'm trying to organize things from the get go this year with his long term care insurance reimbursement instead of taking hours finding everything online as I did for last year. I don't have a desk spot; that's a goal for the next place I live, is to have a beautiful but functional desk in a spot that I will actually use, with everything in one spot. Exercise was walking around grocery store number two, then home to bake salmon and steam cauliflower plus some other things for DD, then clean up everything. I've had too many cookies but at least I'm getting the healthier food back in. I have a nice salad made with leftover salmon which I will quickly gobble down as I'm off to meet my ortho today. I have to get him to sign off on working from home which shouldn't be a problem, but of course there's paperwork involved.
For some reason my pin number didn't work on my bank card yesterday, so there's one more thing to figure out pronto, I want to be able to pull out cash as needed when i'm re-cooperating. I'm much more productive with a deadline and I've finally jumped into "getting stuff done" mode.
Bill-yay for a successful visit with such an active little girl. I have such fond memories of those Fisher Price toys.
Silverbirch-bravo for clearing up the chicken wire,that sounds like quite the task.
Onebyone-good to have all your questions ready. Great job with the walking video, its hard to exercise when you're not feeling great.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:41 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

The star of the show was the wind yesterday. 50 - 60 mph gusts. Lights were on and off all over the city. it came with a day of rain. Kinda hoping the school's power outage was not fixed. Sigh! It was.

DH and I spent a lovely afternoon searching for salvage art materials. I found four or five nice pieces. My creative energies will be flowing this summer. I also saw the 1920s enamel Hotpoint stove. I might might take on the task of refinishing _ a huge job as a first retirement project. i would put it in my new office. Then office to the bday party where I got to hols a new GDN 2.5 months old. Excellent.

Food was not excellent and over 80% of my calories for the day were sugar and UPF. Sigh! A new day today. Yogurt is made along with kale salad and tangerines for snack.I am wearing a becoming outfit with accessories to remind myself it is important to take care of myself.

Wave to all.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:14 AM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't mean to go AWOL over the weekend. I was in a kind of retreat mode, which helped gather energy for what I want to do this month. I'm continuing that one more day since Dear Brother invited me to use the hot tub this morning. But I didn't want to let my break from 3FC go one more day -- that's always dangerous for me. Checking in keeps me from straying too far off course for too long.

Exercise: 60, 260/1700 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: My first job had a bit of that stock conundrum going. Fortunately, just about as I decided that I was in the wrong career path, the small business got bought out and my problem got cashed out.

onebyone: Thinking of you as you're dealing with the medical establishment today. I hope the procedures go well and that your questions are answered satisfactorily.

silverbirch: Cool that you're making progress at getting the garden looking like it's cared for but without a lot of material sitting around to care for it.

maryann: California's rain made my news radar this morning -- and I don't work very hard to collect news, these days, so it must be a big story. I hope that doesn't impact you (well, unless it's a welcome day off of work).

curlyjax: My desk is my favorite place to be. It's tiny, but there's enough room for a Tickler file and the office supplies that I use the most. I keep my bills organized in a plastic file box that I can bring near my desk when I want it. It can see through the sun room to the backyard to enjoy sunshine (which we're getting today).
Old 02-05-2024, 01:19 PM   #27  
in development

Default Monday

An early start today as I shot off to the gymn. It was a great session which I followed by a free cup of coffee and some [insert inappropriate food]. Athletically, I strode across the supermarket car park with the trolley and my back twinged with that twinge that can be a precursor to worse. It seems as though I’ll do anything to avoid deep cleaning in the house! I had felt a little achey first thing but had done a full set of warm-up exercises at home and was then pretty careful at the gymn. Anyway, a bit of rest with a hot water bottle seems to have sorted it out and I’ve pressed on, cleaning a metal bookcase which we can use to hold some of the pile of boxes in the kitchen more efficiently.

onebyone, good work doing the 15 minute walking video. I hope things went smoothly at Sunnybrook today. (I always love seeing you late at night for you and bright and early for me! It reassures me that the world is going round, especially on days when the sun doesn't come out.)

Bill, great to hear that all your goals for the standard chaotic visit were met. Sorry to hear about the roasted peanuts but your story did remind me of your historical battle with tree nuts. I’m hoping that they didn’t mount a rearguard action at any point.

curlyjax, very good going to try to organise things from the get-go. Not having to run around after paperwork and so on has to be good for health. For years I’ve wanted

Quote:
a beautiful but functional desk in a spot that I will actually use, with everything in one spot,
like you, as I’ve probably mentioned before. I’ve set up one in the S house which is/will be completely wonderful, once we’ve moved properly.

maryann, you’re right. It’s a new day!

gardenerjoy, credit for recognising the support 3FC gives you and checking in again. The hot tub does sound attractive today.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:10 PM   #28  
persist

Default cautiously/ caution / care /patience

Dear Coaches:

I am practicing being a patient patient. I am forced to step back/pull back/take care before I can move forward. Super difficult for me as one who just wants to charge forward and get this (cancer treatment) all behind me already.

DH and I went to Sunnybrook for 9am. I packed my robe, a shawl, some cheese and nuts and bottles of water for our long day. The day got cut short after my oncologist saw the palms of my hands. They are red and cracked and peeling. Plus, I am itchy in more areas. She suggested a one week pause in my infusion, pushing it to next Monday. I didn't want to postpone, but, this is her job, and she's telling me to wait and try to get the skin reaction calmed down. I need to take her opinion in, no matter my disappointment at the delay. My dermatologist was also at Sunnybrook today, so she made an impromtu visit and prescribed an antihistamine and a new skin salve. I'm to use both all week to, hopefully, heal my skin. After the dermatologist, the oncologist returned. I asked, what would happen if we pressed forward? She said I am at the stage now where more, and bigger, side effects can occur. If those happen I may be off innumotherapy for weeks. like 2 to 3 weeks. So given that, it made sense to take this week and then infuse me vs. pushing hard, nd then being forced through some unpleasant side effect to back off for much longer.

This patient needs to practice patience.

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I asked the Dr if it was dangerous for me to try to lose weight right now and she said no. I have gained 9lbs. I would like to lose 23.

I will do my 15min walking routine today and will report back on that later.

Thank you Coaches for being a safe space for me to figure this all out. I value each and every one of you and love hearing about your lives and how you face your own challenges. I feel lucky to have landed here so many years ago.

Note: reporting a 15min 1 mile walk was done at 11:45pm
Feb walks =2

Last edited by onebyone; 02-06-2024 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:08 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - The Treaty of Waitangi signed by 40 Māori Chiefs (1840, New Zealand)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Managed to do a stint reducing the boxes of 'stuff' that take up room in the house. Found that I have a zillion yellow pads of 3M Post-It notes. A real bunch. By keeping them in three different places I always feel like I need to buy some every time I see them on sale. I've probably got a lifetime supply. Now they're consolidated; this allows the possibility of moving some out. Also have page protectors. I could write a book and put each page in a page protector. Again, merging two boxes of different styles of these might allow some to go. Only a few thing were discarded, but several chunks were moved to a more appropriate box so that they can be considered for discard. Small steps.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. No snacks included no fruit cake even though it's visible on the kitchen counter. DW watched a couple of episodes of Blue Planet II from a DVD we'd checked out from the library. I only watched the end where I listened to the sonorous voice of David Attenborough show film of rocks that fall to the ocean floor from melting icebergs - called dropstones. Dropstones form the basis for small eco systems far from where the rock was gathered from the surface of the earth by the glacier that became the iceberg. Spent some time trying to understand the source of the appeal of David Attenborough's voice: self-assured, presumptuous, British, smart, reassuring, upper-class. Whatever. If he says it, I believe it.

onebyone - Ouch for a one week pause in your healing course, but Super Kudos for accepting that as the better choice for you right now. Rapid coordination between your doctors is pretty special.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Always admire your Dear Brother Hot Tub Sessions. Lucky to have your stock conundrum solved by a buyout taking away the decision.

Silverbirch - Not surprised to read that your back is achy; you've been working it a bunch. Good news about having a desk in your S house.

maryann – Do hope the worst of the weather hitting California isn't as far north as your place. Looking for savage art pieces sounds fun.

curlyjax - Congrats for jumped into "getting stuff done" mode. Such a good feeling when stuff is getting done.

Readers -
Quote:

Finally, fill out a Stage 5 Success Skills Sheet every night without fail. You will feel so much more in control.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:31 AM   #30  

Brief day at work followed by visit with new orthopedic surgeon. I wasn't blown away by his personality but the office staff and hospital are great and I feel very taken care of. A heart murmur was detected so i'm going for an echocardiogram this week just to be safe. The nurse practitioner said murmurs can come and go and not to be concerned, so I won't be. I have to jump through hoops with paperwork to be able to work from home which I hope to do a bit of when I'm feeling up to it, as that will save my sick/vacation time from being eaten up. After the appointment I felt drained so spent a chunk of time in bed, and actually got to sleep a little early.
Food wasn't great but at least I got my salad with salmon in.
Gardenerjoy-retreat mode can be quite refreshing. Your desk spot sounds lovely.
Silverbirch-
Maryann-Stay safe, that wind sounds terrible. Great idea to wear a nice outfit to remind yourself to take care of yourself.
Onebyone-glad to be here for you! I love hearing about everyone's life too. Sounds like you have a wonderful team which is huge. Great job practicing patience, i'm sure its hard to pause things.
Bill-yay for reducing boxes of stuff. I love this parody with a voice similar to David Attenborough

https://www.google.com/search?q=mati...zwIphm5r4,st:0

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-06-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Closed Thread