Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave as I'm running super late. My friend had to cancel on me for a walk, but I went ahead and walked on the treadmill anyhow, yay. I also made cauliflower au gratin and made a lot. I need to put something else in it to make it more filling- maybe quinoa. Anyhow it has some cheese but its a good way to eat a lot of a vegetable. I'm in this cycle of staying up too late, taking a 20 minute nap during lunch, then staying up late again. And my sleep is interrupted by the kiddos too at times.
Tonight is takeout since I'll be helping organize DS stuff for move in day. Personals tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I think everything's ready. I'm slightly anxious for all kinds of reasons, this being the first time we've been out together in an indoor space since March is one of them. This level of anxiety, though, feels about right. It's just enough to make sure that I'm thinking through things and remembering things that might be useful (bottled water so we don't have to use drinking fountains is the most recent), but not so much that it reduces functionality.

Fortunately, that's also just the right level of anxiety to make food unappealing.

I want to be prepared for the aftermath, though. Relief-eating is definitely a problem for me. So, I have a to-do list with a lot of easy, but focused, tasks like clearing email and figuring out who our school board candidates are. That should keep me out of trouble.

Exercise +50, 980/1500 minutes for January
Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Gardenerjoy: When DH had his biopsy, I wasn't allowed in. I waited in the parking lot and practiced various times the automatic parking function on my new car. He came out and couldn't find me
Curleyjax: Is there a link to the Cauliflower au gratin? That sounds like a great recipe.
Karen: How wonderful to have rain interrupt something. I woke up to the rain this morning but it will be short lived. We continue to be desperate for water.
BBE; You remind me I need to drag DH to Mom's house to replace all the lightbulbs that have burned out.

DH made it home safely. It is wonderful to have him back.

Yesterday food was reasonable. I had no sugary treats. I made my steps goal. I showed up to work and corrected bunches of papers to earn my paycheck. I listed 17 items on Poshmark to sell. I really believe in reducing the waste of the clothing industries. Anything I don't sell will go to some families I know. I am not really the sizes they are but they have lots of relatives. Goodwill gets so many clothes I read that most of the donated clothing is thrown out. I wore another "new" outfit with a belt to remind me that I have a shape that is worth maintaining for various reasons - most importantly for health.

I had to email the counselors and admin about a student who write to me in his "getting to know you" survey about suicidal thinking he has dealt with for three years. I am mandated to report it. I wrote the kid an email to hang back after class today. Hopefully he won't feel I broke a trust. Tough.

There was no reason that any of these things should cause me to overeat and lots of reasons to give myself credit.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #109  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and so far today. I hiked a 10 mile loop from the Tom's Thumb Trailhead. It was 3000 feet elevation gain but it was plenty cool, so that was no problem. In fact I didn't even see Tom's Thumb the first time I went by it because it was totally in the clouds. In fact I was in the clouds too. By the time I did a big circle and hiked up a different trail to head back to my car, the clouds had risen. I only saw 3 people on about 6 miles of the trail, but quite a few more when I was within about 1 mile of the trailhead. That is all downhill though so easy to keep the mask on. Rain is in the forecast for the next 4 days so I figured it would be good to get a long hike in.

Maryann That's so funny that dh couldn't find you after your parking practice. I'm glad your husband made it home safely.

GardenerJoy I hope all goes well today for your dh. I'll be surprised if you can go in too. Let us know.

Curlyjax Does ds leave this weekend? How far away will he be?

Bill I finally saw the Cosmic Crisp apples in our grocery store. I'll have to pick some up to try them.

Well I'm going to see if I can catch a quick nap. Dh will be home soon, but the first bit he goes outside to practice his golf swing, so I figure I have 45 minutes.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #110  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - 1st bridge over the Mississippi River opens (1855, Minneapolis)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Received a gift from Home Depot. Went like this: I shopped for a tube for the wheel of our snowblower. So glad to find it after trying three other stores. $10.99 was acceptable - I wasn't price shopping. Had to go through self-checkout. Scanned my item. Came up with the right name, but price of $0.01. Yikes - that's not right. Pushed the [Request Help] button on the screen. Young lady comes over with a lovely, thick Russian accent. "Can you re-scan this for me? It should be $10.99." She produces her magic override card to verify that the scanned number matched the product. Then said, "Insert your credit card." "But it's still $0.01; can't you re-scan it?" "Nope, it does this sometimes; I have to report it so that the machine can get fixed. You get the product for the scanned price." So it comes to pass that I'm sent home with a gift from Home Depot. Never had this happen to me before. The good part of my soul was pleased that I'd attempted to pay the correct amount. The evil part was annoyed that it wasn't a $1000 hot water heater.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a fresh batch of chili made with ground beef and tons of fresh chili spice. Served with coins of the baguette. Just a lovely winter meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for the self-awareness, "Relief-eating is definitely a problem for me." Hope all went well.

maryann - LOL that your DH couldn't find you after moving about with your car's parking feature. Ouch for the reality of being a mandatory reporter these days. So many things seem to fall into the laps of teachers.

Karen (karenrn) - That's not many people over six miles of trail. Sounds great for a person wishing solo hiking. Hope you get your predicted rain.

curlyjax - Your cauliflower au gratin sounds good - never tried that. Good luck getting your DS ready to move.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 - The Success Skills Plan

You will have to learn how to:

Skill 1: Motivate yourself daily
Skill 2: Weigh yourself daily
Skill 3: Eat slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite
Skill 4: Give yourself credit
Skill 5: Get moving
Skill 6: Overcome hunger, cravings, and emotional eating
Skill 7: Plan and monitor your eating
Skill 8: Follow your plan, no matter what
Skill 9: Get back on track - right away

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 50.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #111  

Today I'm moving DS off to college. I was feeling sad last night; I will miss his company, and I'm sad this is one more milestone his father is missing, and that his dad isn't here for him. Also feeling some anxiety as many kids have felt isolated and lonely at college during the pandemic as they're supposed to stay away from each other, and there's no welcome or orientation as there normally would be. But he's only an hour away so he can come home for a visit if needed.
This morning i'm feeling better. The weather is cold but no rain or snow, and I'm back in the excited mode for him.
The cauliflower gratin is basically: steam a head of cauliflower florets, make a microwave white sauce and add grated cheddar cheese to it- 1/2 cup to a cup depending, I don't really measure- mix the 2 together, cover with panko bread crumbs and bake about 25 minutes at 350. I'm not sure that's true au gratin, but its what I like.
Gardenerjoy: hope the visit went well.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #112  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Have I mentioned how much I love Saturdays? I think I have. Yesterday I felt like the person who crawls across the finish line at a marathon - finished but not pretty. I just sat in my red chair by my back window and with the gas fire insert on. I fell asleep for two hours. I don't know if I was coming down with something or just surfing blues. I slept again until 7:30 this morning which is late for me. I am feeling perkier though with a cup of coffee in my hand and some puttering items lined up.

Food was frugal and nutritious. I am still working on the baked potatoes I made in the Instant Pot. I am going to try a version of curleyjax's au gratin in same pot. I am also going to try and use up 1/2 of jar of red raspberry jam as some sort of marinade. I won't eat the sugar and DH doesn't usually either. This is part of my no food waste goal. I am going to go through the pantry and make menus based on what is there. My food rotation is off and I almost hospitalized DH with expired sour cream ( Actually he didn't notice because sour cream is sour, right? I don't know. I won't touch the stuff.) So menu planning and then I have to mail a few odds and ends to DS. There is yard work and a few hours of school work.All in all, it is my kind of day.

BBE: My Mom always says, "Why sell your soul for a pencil?" Totally feels good to do the right thing.
Karen: I get the joy of getting six miles out with noone around. Hiking is not for everyone but sure is for me.

Thinking of Curleyjax and gardenerjoy.

I forgot - Today is also two hours of pecan shelling. I have eaten all of my reserves.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #113  

Good afternoon coaches,

It didn't rain this morning so my friend and I got another hike in. I did change dinner to soup and sandwich last night, but I'm going to consider that an equivalent exchange for dinner. Today's plan is made and the first two meals were on it. Dinner tonight will be what I had planned to cook last night. I did some shopping this morning and bought ingredients to make a couple of dishes and freeze some of them. My friend in Tucson is going to have a knee replacement 3/1 and I'll be heading down there to do nurse duty. I think I'll take a few frozen meals to leave behind when I come back home.

Maryann I'm glad you're enjoying your Saturday.
Curlyjax So the much anticipated day is happening. I hope it all goes smoothly for you and for ds. It's good he isn't too far away.
Bill Nice that you got the nearly free gift from Home Depot. That doesn't happen very often. I had a Cosmic Crisp apple at lunch and I really liked it.
Waving to GardenerJoy.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

I had a 10am meeting. And, then follow-up from that and various other things this week that didn't get done because I was busy with DH yesterday. I'm just now getting around to my usual morning tasks, including posting here.

I'm exhausted. That can be a trigger for overeating. So, I'm going to do one of those easy, focused tasks that I identified yesterday.

Yesterday was the pre-op appointment. I was allowed to accompany DH. They are letting one person accompany the patient. And, as far as I can tell, they prefer it. It means that someone besides the patient is taking notes and asking questions. Which, I assume, leads to better compliance and outcomes.

One of the things that has surprised us is how complicated the preparation for this simple procedure is. DH already told me that if I weren't organizing all of it, he'd probably just say, 'forget it.' That feels like a flaw in the medical system. If it's so hard to navigate the system that you need a librarian by your side, then it's no wonder that people don't show up when and where they need to, having done all the things they were supposed to -- or that they just give up before ever reaching that point. In the old days, I think he would have spent the night before the surgery in the hospital so that they could make sure everything was ready the way that they wanted.

I was told that I'll also be allowed to do the usual things for the biopsy on Wednesday -- wait with him in the waiting room, be called back to wait with him before the procedure (and be asked to take his glasses and anything else that they don't want accompanying him into the surgery), wait in a waiting room until the doctor speaks to me, and, then, wait with DH for the last part of recovery until they are ready to let him go.

Although, I won't be allowed in if I have a fever or symptoms or if I'm not wearing a mask. They are also marking off seating so that I don't have to worry about people sitting too close to me in the waiting room.

In some ways, I'd be more comfortable in the car (except that it's likely to be very cold) or back at home -- but only if they had a robust system for letting me know what was going on. They made it pretty clear that they'd rather I be there, so I think they never got around to developing a robust system for handling caretakers who weren't on site during procedures.

Normally, I'd ask my brother to accompany me. Or, rather, he'd offer and I'd accept. We've both come to the conclusion that it's better for people to not wait alone while loved ones are under anesthesia. We've done it for each other and for other people. But, my brother is high risk. And, I'm not sure they would allow an extra person, anyway. Maybe I'll ask him if I can send multiple texts during the process.

Exercise +40, 1020/1500 minutes for January

maryann: I've been using a Buy Nothing Facebook group to give away things recently. It's much more satisfying than Goodwill. I gave away two purses today, both to people who were really excited to use them right away. There are a bunch of Buy Nothing groups because they're designed to be hyper-local. The idea is to develop a local gifting economy -- because I have things in my house that I don't use but my neighbor would like and vice versa. The Buy Nothing concept isn't meant to save money or the environment (although clearly it can help with both), but is really meant to develop a generous community.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Apple Computer Inc unveils revolutionary Macintosh personal computer (1984)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - DW's purge has gotten serious. She took on the cabinet in the hallway that holds medicines and spare toiletries. "Do you really need two-dozen tooth brushes?" she asked. I change regularly, as the dentist suggests, but get a new one from the dental hygienist every three months as well as FREE ones from health fairs and wherever. Have one neat one with a bamboo handle from a vacation. We regularly are asked to contribute stuff going into boxes for folks in shelters - sealed new toothbrushes are welcomed. She found the remnants of a 16 year-old prescription. Either I got cured or they didn't work. Whatever, Gone! Found more cough drops than we need; when I've got a cold, I repeatedly buy large bags of them to make me feel good. Unfortunately, I then eat them like candy with little impact on the cough.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was omelettes - so I'm vegetarian for the day. Evening snack was half a Cara Cara Orange and a Cosmic Crisp Apple. Same old same old. And that feels just right.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I share your belief that a second person can really help by taking notes - easier when it's not one's own body. I recall the time that DW read my notes after we got home and found several things she didn't even remember being said.

maryann - Congrats for crossing the finish line, even if "finished but not pretty." When your body needs a two-hour nap, it's good to let it happen.

Karen (karenrn) - Sorry that you didn't get your much-desired rain. Arizona continues to be front page news way over here. You're the new center of the universe.

curlyjax - Waving toward your DS at college. Wishing you well facing the empty nest.

Readers -
Quote:

Here are guidelines for acquiring these skills: . . .
  • Learn and practice these skills at a rate that feels comfortable to you. Don't go too quickly! Dieters progress at different speeds. For example, eating everything sitting down is quite easy for people who already have this habit. Others may need to spend days (or longer) mastering this skill. Most diets need to practice coping with hunger, cravings, and emotional eating many times before they get really good at managing them. But remember: No matter what the skill is, the more you practice it, the easier it gets!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 51.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #116  

Move in went very well. It was freezing out because of the wind but fortunately DS didn't have too much stuff. He said he was nervous but excited. He's thrilled with having his own room-which is bigger than his own bedroom at home-the dorm is nice, and he has a nice view of a river. He has to stay put other than grabbing food until he gets the results of his covid test- which is hopefully today-but he got the wifi up and running, so he's happily online.It will be fun to visit in April and look around-when its warmer out!
One more week and then DD is gone, not that I'm counting the days or anything
Maryann-I'm going to look around my pantry and use things up too. I have been horrified at how much money I've been spending, and food is one thing I can control easier once I'm actually alone. I love Saturdays too.
Gardenerjoy-glad the visit went well. Yes, there is a lot to keep track of before a medical procedure; DH is lucky to have you.
Karen-great idea to think ahead for frozen meals for your friend. Ooh, those knee replacements are tough.
Bill-yay for DW continuing to purge while she has the energy. It feels so great to great rid of excess stuff.
I need to grocery shop today and buy a printer for DD. I was going to take a walk with a friend but its so windy and cold, that might not happen.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #117  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a nice mix of relaxing and check list check offs. Frugal ventures included saving nearly $150 dollars. I went to our jeweler's to clean my ring and earrings. I have AGAIN lost earring posts. I usually get them for free. They said the price of gold went up so now they charge $50.00 I was shocked because I thought the posts they were giving me were aluminum. I can't believe I have been losing gold posts. I told them no thank you and went to Joanne's to buy 10 posts for $2.13. Then I saved a $100 by deciding to switch my Nespresso coffee monthly purchase ( I have the machine) to an instant coffee that is highly touted. I use the machine because it makes single servings and I hate cleaning pots and grounds. This is all working up towards a "buy nothing" February.

All this frugal-ing is good for my food program. It nudges me into smaller portions, gets me energetic around the house, and focuses my mind around less emotional things going on around me. It is under my control. I still took my walk. I can't believe the difference a specific number ( like 5,000 steps) helps when setting and sticking to a goal. It may not be a perfect number but it has gotten me out the door countless times this month. I will have to add a short evening walk to my lunch walk next week to meet my January goal. That is probably a good "head clearing" thing anyway.

I weighed in two pounds from ticker. I made a slimming chicken apple sausage soup and roasted 2 pounds of broccoli spears for the week. I had more nice comments of my "outfits" : one from a friend and one an acquaintance.

[gardenerjoy: I have heard of those buy nothing Facebook groups and am torn. I would love to be apart of such a group but I can't handle the Facebook thing. Craig's list invades my privacy too much. I do have some friends who have outreach with people who are in need and now I send clothes down to our worker's who have connections with some migrant families.
BBE: an ovo vegetarian is a lot easier for me than a strict vegetarian.
Karen: How nice of you to help your friend. I thought you lived in Tucson. Maybe you just hike there.
curleyjax: Congrats for a successful drop off.

Last edited by maryann; 01-24-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #118  

Good afternoon coaches,

We did get some good rain yesterday afternoon and evening and we've gotten quite today too. In the last half hour we've had thunder and lightening and now it's hailing. Once we had golf ball size hail that destroyed my car. Food was on plan yesterday, but not today. I've been snacking on graham crackers. The good news is I haven't put butter on them. I've got some pork chili verde cooking on the stove. I was going to use the instant pot, but decided I didn't need to be in a hurry and it was just as easy on the stove top. It will make a lot of servings, so many will be frozen.

Maryann I live in Scottsdale. I have hiked in Tucson, but not very often. Usually I hike in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve or at in the Superstitions which are southeast of here a little.

Curlyjax Sounds like the move for ds was made smoothly. I'm sure if he has wifi he will survive pretty well.

Bill Purging the medicine cabinet sounds like a good thing. I think I'll do that when I get off here. I'm sure some of those over the counter things are out of date. I don't mind a little out of date, but not too much. Oh Bill our being in the news is just awful. First there is the virus which is bad enough and then that our Republican party censored the Republican governor for certifying the votes in our state and also, former senator Flake and Cindy McCain. Like Mrs. McCain said, she is in good company as they also censored Senator McCain.

GardenerJoy I'm glad you were able to accompany dh and will be able to for the biopsy as well. Because it has been so long ago, I don't recall much about it except afterwards.

No plans for hiking for a few days because we are expecting rain for a couple of days. Our high is expected to be 48 tomorrow, which is almost unheard of. We will probably get snow in the McDowells and they are getting a ton of it up north.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #119  
Green Tomatoes

Checking in late for no particularly good reason, except that I was anxious to compile the two new sheets of information that we got at the pre-op appointment on Friday with the three sheets that we received previously. All of that is now compiled into one schedule that we actually stand some chance of following. I've gone through the whole thing with DH and, now, I'm able to relax a bit, feeling that we're on top of things.

That needed to be done, first, so that I could do my usual Sunday planning for the week. So, that's next on the list. It's a good thing that I enjoy planning.

Exercise +55, 1075/1500 minutes for January
Old 01-25-2021, 06:10 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - England's King Henry VIII secretly married Anne Boleyn, his 2nd wife (1533)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS, and DIL around a local park in the 32 degree F cold. We walked briskly to stay warm. Learned that they will have to have their heating system replaced in a process that means it will be out for a duration that includes an overnight. The contractor will supply electric space heaters. Doesn't sound fun.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the second dip into the pot of chili that only gets better with reheating. Evening entertainment was using box cutters on a stack of moving boxes from our basement that we've saved for ten years thinking "maybe someday." They were in the way. Thick cardboard is a challenge to cut. We worked as a team; I fully expected one of us to get sliced when frustration built over a difficult box. However, all done! The cardboard pieces - small enough to be acceptable to our recycle pickup - are out on the curb. Mission accomplished and all that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - A bit in awe that it takes that much effort to align the instructions for your DH's procedure. Kudos for being the person doing that.

maryann - Yay for saving $100 - a good start to prepare for Frugal February. New word for me: "frugal-ing" - I like it. Thanks for the reminder that I was an ovo vegetarian. Am reminded of the young teenager who declared that she was vegetarian because she only ate chicken fingers, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you'll make a bunch of servings of your pork chili Verde. I love how quickly dinner gets made when it's warmed up per-made stuff in the fridge. It's my long time and continuing admiration of Senator McCain that keeps me glued to watching Arizona politics. You'd think I would just notice that it's a few thousand miles away and wallow about in our local mud.

curlyjax - Congrats for getting your DS settled in his new dorm room. Such a challenge for entering college kids right now.

Readers -
Quote:

Here are guidelines for acquiring these skills: . . .
  • Fill out the Stage 1 Success Skills Sheet every night. Don't progress to Stage 2 until you have checked every box for seven consecutive nights. It's important that you master these skills before you start following the Think Thin Initial Eating Plan. Keep in mind that not mastering them never helped you lose weight and keep it off in the past.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 51.
Closed Thread