Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Miguel de Cervantes publishes Book One of Don Quixote (1605, Madrid)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was opening up the box of 200 neckties that I had removed from my closet. Two hundred! I wore a tie to work every day for years; enjoyed infrequent duplication. There are several for Christmas Parties; one for Saint Patrick's Day; several with subtle puns that only fellow engineers would appreciate; a particularly favored few by Jerry Garcia; some of top shelf silk; some of quality woven wool. My eyes almost moist looking at the memories they bring back.

Alas, my current life doesn't have many occasions that require a necktie. My COVID life has none, LOL, but hopefully that will end. I've devolved into wearing a black turtle neck with a dress shirt to Boston performances and dressy parties. Many of my male friends just wear open neck shirts - some even skip the sport coat. I feel a resistance to letting them go as it seems like the first step toward wearing pajamas all day, LOL.

So, most have to go. I've laid them all out on a bed as I do my emotional due diligence. I'll have to save the ties given to me: by my SIL to wear at his wedding; by a 1960's friend that is hand woven, hand sewn. I suspect that I could make do with about four. Can easily accommodate a dozen. But the bulk of the 200 have to go. CREDIT moi for just starting the task.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for finding a quiet time to shop - especially with the Instacart Shoppers who seem to take up so much space. And Congrats for doing a little research before speaking. My take is the the Internet discourages even the simplest Google search before spouting off.

maryann - Smart to take a moment to keep thing simple. Congrats for surviving the trip to the UC Davis Campus.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at "you can not discuss the elephant in the room or either of the two elephants." Good luck with discussing the weather. Or discuss this: today in 1917, the "Zimmermann Telegram" was sent from Germany to Mexico, stating in the event of the US entering World War I on the allied side, Mexico would be given Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. Didn't happen. Glad Arizona is still with us.

curlyjax - Congrats for charging forth with financial actions. Ouch for the call of banana flavored cake.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 10 Make Response Cards

Let's get you started learning the skills that will not only help you lose weight now and for a few weeks or months, but continually, until you reach maintenance - and then for life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 46.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a much better day. I worked hard to have no carry over work this three day weekend. I am all corrected up for the first week. Yeah! I know it won't last but I like to show my new students that I am serious about the work I give and serious regarding extra credit /class discussions that keep their grades high with relative ease. I have said before teaching high school is like training seals. Throw a lot of fish early on.

I made a successful new Instant pot recipe " Hawaiian style Shozu Chicken Drumsticks." Boys loved it. I finished the chicken up under the broiler because I like brown crispy skin. Super easy. Usually I buy a rotisserie chicken but I didn't feel in the mood for a big box store and picking up a chicken at four o'clock means it sits in my slow cooker "warmer" for two hours (adding further cooking time to however long it was in the warmer before I bought it. ) DS leaves tomorrow with DH. When DH gets back from Michigan I am going to get serious about the food I prepare for him. I love the book "The Instant Pot Bible" that came a few days ago. I am going to use boneless skinless thighs for many of the recipes. The authors of the book are main contributors to Weight Watch recipes. So I look forward to my project.

Credit for walking at lunch and taking my flourless Friday seriously. Weight dipped back down two pounds. Wheat is absolutely a yellow light food for me. I am going to stay wheat free one more day.

BBE: Good for you for braving the ties. I may suggest taking a picture of the more memorable ones or even saving one or two and sending it off to a family member or friend with a hand written note about why it was special. Maybe pick one for DGD with a story. I have a few items from my Grandmother which were accompanied by a note. Just seeing her handwriting makes me think of her. I have saved about thirty of DS's t shirts. I know your jaw just dropped because I don't save much. My first retirement project will be to sew them into a quilt. Of course I need to learn how to make a quilt first
Karen: Boy do I know that elephant. My best friends have VERY different political views from me. I think we all play nice and still enjoy each others support.
Gardenerjoy: There is a magic shopping hour for each person. Mine has to be when I am not too tired. The whole process gets a little overwhelming if I am.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #78  
Green Tomatoes

DH's niece had a mental health crisis this week and it's going to be something we're all dealing with for some time to come, I think. I'm trying to be the one-step-at-a-time adviser which helped a bit yesterday. Especially, since, apparently, I was the only one to spot the priority of the moment as COVID & quarantine. Which actually turned out to be a problem that could be grasped and worked on by everyone involved including our niece. I never would have thought that COVID was going to represent the easy part of the problem.

Here are some ways I can help -- research vaccine pre-registration for family members so they don't have to figure out the process themselves, text niece's mom to see how things are going and continue directing focus to the next right thing, and taking care of myself in case I need to be more outwardly-focused next week. Excess food helps none of that.

Exercise +40, 705/1500 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: I saw Cosmic Crisp apples for the first time at the store on Thursday and bought a couple, thinking of you. They're yummy. The're also enormous. Is that the normal state for this cultivar?
Old 01-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #79  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but weight is still up a bit from the low. I do know if I stick with my plan it will go down and then go lower. I really wanted to have a drink yesterday and did not want to do my arm/shoulder/plank exercises, but I decided I wanted to do the right thing and be able to mark my habit tracker that I had done them, so I did. Urges do seem to pass fairly quickly if I just sit with it or distract myself. I've decided I will have a drink or two to celebrate the inauguration. It is so sad that Washington DC will look how it does and the world can see what a mess we are in. I guess they already know it and I also know we aren't the only ones.

I made it through my walk yesterday and it was cordial. There were a few comments about the virus but not one word about politics. This morning I had a nice long walk with a like minded friend and we lamented the lack of intimacy in relationships where previously we could discuss almost anything. I think this will just be a holding pattern for me for now. However, I won't be setting up many hikes like yesterday, I feel like it is just too stressful and like I have to do homework before I go to be sure I don't misspeak.

GardenerJoy I'm sorry about dear niece's mental health crisis. Taking the best care of ourselves we can is always the right thing to do.

Maryann Throwing a lot of fish early on sounds like a great way to start the semester. Glad you had a better day. I am using boneless skinless chicken thighs for several of my recipes too. I'm getting hungry thinking of them.

Bill I've heard of people making quilts with neckties, but boy what a lot of work deconstructing them first. That is a lot of neckties. You are really purging. Think of all the room you will have.

Waving to Curlyjax!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:28 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - English novelist Anne Bronte born (1820, Thornton, UK)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A long, rainy day with little accomplished. Caught up on some reading. The book Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari is elegantly written. Even when covering material that I've read recently, I enjoy his cogent summary of it all. Makes me love my Neanderthal genes even more.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was Dahl, cheese toast, spinach and green salad. So, I've vegetarian for the day. Evening snack was half a Cara Cara Orange and a Cosmic Crisp Apple. Once again I'm struck that I'm eating well during this crisis when others are in lines looking for food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for finding a way to help with the mental health crisis of your DH's niece. That's an area where most of us flounder. Yep, I've also noticed that Cosmic Crisp Apples seem to be large; I muck around looking for the runts of the crop since I like to eat a whole apple and don't need that much.

maryann - Happy journey to Michigan for your DH and DS - even makes me sad thinking of your DS disappearing. Thanks for the notion of making a quilt of my 200 ties. It's a lovely idea - but one that would allow me to put them back into their box until I became a maker of quilts. Will grab the notion of taking pictures of ones that pain me to let go.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for successfully walking with elephants. Kudos for using your habit tracker to help you stay your path.

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

Why Other Eating Plans Don't Work

Most eating plans have one or more of the following characteristics. No wonder dieters aren't successful in either losing weight or in keeping it off!
  • Calorie counts are too low. We have found that most dieters can't sustain an eating plan with fewer than 1,600 calories, day in and day out. They may be able to eat 1,000 or 1,200 calories for a few days, weeks, even months, but gradually (usually without realizing it) drift up to eating at least 1,600 calories. Or they go above their low calorie count one day, get hopeless or frustrated, and eat hundreds or thousands of extra calories.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 47.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I slept late yesterday and then relaxed in bed for so long that I forgot to post. It was a nice relaxing day. I went to a couple stores to finish dorm shopping for DS and ended up browsing in a book store, which I haven't done in eons. I bought a book called The Paper Solution- because I do love self help/organize books- as a treat, although her system seems more complicated than at first glance. Essentially throw your little bits of papers, bills etc in one box and then sit down on Sunday and actually do something with them- instead of having them scattered around the whole house. Then she gets into various folders for this and that, and loses me- but I like the idea of focusing everything in one spot and dedicating a time to go thru it. As long as you actually do that
Today I have plans for outside coffee with a friend, and then groceries. I love having a three day weekend.
Maryann- the instant pot Bible sounds fun. Wishing DH and DS a good trip.
Karen-I get the feeling some friendships have indeed changed because of the current political climate. Plus since not much is going on as far as fun stuff, there isn't as much to talk about either. Glad you do have some likeminded friends anyhow.
Bill- I saw a bunch of Teslas plugged in and thought of you
Gardenerjoy- good luck with your niece's mental health, that is indeed tough stuff.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #82  
Green Tomatoes

DH's niece is home and safe, which is a blessing to appreciate in this moment.

I'm pleased to be within spitting distance of the half-way point of my exercise goal. January was maybe not the best month to increase my goal, given that the weather is a challenge to daily walks. But, that's what makes it a good goal! I'm motivated to work out some new habits and get creative about navigating around obstacles.

Exercise +40, 745/1500 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: I shared my enormous Cosmic Crisp with DH last night and he liked it, too. I was glad since he never liked Honey Crisps (too sweet) so I was always buying more than one type of apple. It's nice to have one we can share.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #83  

Good Morning, Coaches.

The house is quiet this morning. The boys slipped out at 4:00 a.m. to catch a 6:00 am flight. I am so happy that DS will get back to his future. But there is a hole here. Good thing I can fill it with another 100 teens who need my attention whether they want it or not Of course that is for Tuesday. For today, my plans are outdoors. Unfortunately it will be 72 degrees here today. Certainly this is "lemons" in a drought year. I will make lemonade by cleaning up all the leaves from the back yard and mowing. I will crack three pounds of nuts and take the walk I did not do yesterday. Yesterday I was so burnt I didn't even get out of lounge wear. My step average is down to a dangerous 5,025. ( I did do housework but I only track steps when I am wearing my phone.) I made a big pot of my grain bowl mix which includes Beluga black lentils, barley, rye and oat groats. This makes four tasty meals when I add artichokes, black olives and my tasty pecans. I added the white rice I cooked up in the Instant Pot which I made for practice.) I have a paltry three mushy persimmons that will go in a smoothie for snack. I ate a pecan banana toast for breakfast to try and use up the last of the bread that we probably won't eat now that DS is gone. I also need to use up the last of the milk. I have a foamer to make lattes. Weight is two pounds from ticker.

I made a list of new books to read. A friend suggested The Believers.

gardenerjoy: I am no stranger to a mental health crisis. My brother was 5150'd on the streets of San Francisco. It was traumatic but in the end it got him the help he needed. I have also had several crisis. Luckily there have always been family and friends to which I could reach out. Credit to you for being one of those sources of support.
Karen: Right now, I just don't need to be around "hard" people voluntarily. It is not a judgment on them. It is an assessment of what I need in my life.
curleyjax: Yeah for nice walks. What a difference they make. Oh and yeah! for three day weekends.
BBE: I also remind myself of the fact that I have a very nice house, a full pantry, heat and heath care. Such blessings.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #84  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and I've hiked this morning with a friend. We both have things we need to talk about and give each other the time. Neither of us dominates the conversation or is the needier. It's a wonderful thing. My food plan is made for today and dh is golfing with a friend. I'm glad he can do that. Yesterday he learned that a friend from high school died as a result of falling from a ladder. His friend was a good looking Mexican and I remember when he used to come to parties when we lived in Washington and announce, "The beautiful Mexican has arrived", and he was. Very sad.

Maryann I'm glad ds can get back to his future, but it must be very different without him around. I'm glad to know you choose not to be around hard people right now. The times are hard enough without any additions.

GardenerJoy I'm glad your niece can be home.

Curlyjax That's wonderful that you slept in and had a relaxing day yesterday. You're right it's hard to find enough to talk about when I can't talk about current events.

Bill We are indeed fortunate. It is crazy that we have to worry about eating too much when so many can't find enough to eat.

I think I'm going to enjoy watching a bit of tv before dh comes home from golf. There is rain in our forecast for this week, so fingers crossed that we get some.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Martin Luther King born (1929, Atlanta, GA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS, and DIL around a two+ mile course in the mild weather. Continue to meet more folks out walking than would have been the case pre-COVID. Always good to see folks wearing masks and practicing social distancing. Saw Mute Swans on the water - not my favorite bird since they destroy the food source of other birds.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch was a sandwich made from canned corned beef. Since it's from Australia, I wonder what's the source of the 'beef', LOL. Probably has enough calories to counter-balance a few days of sane eating. I feel the urge every now and then and have sandwiches until the can is consumed. Not my worst habit; not my best.

DW continues on her purge. She regularly updates and refreshes her cherished set of spices - at least 50. However, a few that are unloved, unused, "mistakes" drift to the back of the cabinet. She dug them out; spices to the compost pile; I washed the jars for reuse. It surprised me to learn how large a volume is used by a spice-loving cook. The spices for chili's and curry's are purchased in quantity and replaced regularly. Regardless of how much we spend on spices, they're the best food buy ever. Maybe I should add the Spice Islands of the East Indies to my Bucket List.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that your DH's niece is safe at home - Kudos for your contribution. Glad that your DH likes Cosmic Crisp Apples. Unfortunately, you'll now double the money spent in the apple department.

maryann - Congrats for making a busy day for yourself when "your boys" were off to the East. I do admire the variety of foods that you prepare.

Karen (karenrn) - Condolences for the loss of your friend with the delightful introduction, "The beautiful Mexican has arrived."

curlyjax - Yay for browsing in a book store - as if it were normal times. Hope the Paper Solution works for you.

Readers -
Quote:

Then it is very difficult for them to get back on track, and sometimes they eat out of control for days, weeks, or months. There is no point in eating a very restrictive level of calories if your are highly likely to start eating more - you will just gain back weight.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #86  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was a good day of planning and building structures to get myself to work on the novel that I played with during NaNoWriMo. I've been trying to get back to it for nearly two months. It takes a lot of structure to get myself to do the things that I claim that I want to do. I learned that from Beck.

Exercise +40, 785/1500 minutes for January
Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I had a great time chatting with my friend in our cars. It was a bit cold but so worth it. We complain and laugh and I feel a lot better. I told her about the binder idea that is part of The Paper Solution and she thought that could help her own situation. It's so great to commiserate with someone who's going thru the same things. I also got the groceries done so today should be errand free except for a quick trip to the drugstore.
I am realizing i'm spending wayyy too much money and need to track it and pull back on it. I was getting SS death benefits for DS until he turned 18 in the spring, and forgot how much I counted that as income. Well, it isn't anymore and I can't keep pulling money out of savings (which fortunately I have). I'm used to treating myself with a massage etc and buying little things without thinking about it, but its clearly adding up. I would like to change jobs at some point but nonprofits don't pay a lot so I need to stay more within my means. Another reason to get the financial stuff organized. Thanks for letting me think about all that here.
Gardenerjoy- glad your niece is home. yay for halfway exercise goal.
Maryann- I had to laugh at "unfortunately it will be 72 today"-that sounds perfect All that yardwork certainly counts as exercise. Your food does sound fabulous.
Karen-glad you had a good chat too with a friend. Sorry for the loss of that friend, he sounds fun.
Bill-oh my goodness, i remember canned corned beef from my childhood. It had a distinctive taste I enjoyed. Kind of like me buying bologna once a year, just for the taste of the past.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #88  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a successful day of outdoor puttering. I did the yard work for the back yard and now I get to look on it while I post. I took my walk and gave myself more wiggle room for my monthly step goal. I had a nice long prearranged phone call sitting on my patio furniture in the 70 degree weather. I ate OP and the scale was down to 1 pound above ticker. I also attended an OA Zoom meeting to which I had committed.

I began reading frugal and financial blogs that I use to read when I was working part time. I spent hours yesterday adding new blogs to my frugal folder on the computer. I learned about the FIRE movement which I must have forgotten about - Financial Independent Retire Early. I laughed at myself because according to this community, I can no longer qualify as I am 57 which is not "early" anymore. LOL. One less thing to have to worry about, I guess. I was amazed at the thirtysomethings actually trying to retire by 40. That just doesn't make sense to me. But then I can understand that both DH and I have jobs we are passionate about and didn't feel work life was "soul crushing." I also would never have trusted the finance bit. As I am poised now, I could retire with full health insurance, real estate security and a pension. Still I feel I should wait another year to hit a magic pension number. In any case, I will continue to explore the sites as they have several great articles on what to do WHILE retired. Also, I would like to clean up some budget items that I think I could save on. So all in all, a good day.

gardenerjoy: How great that research for a period novel would be right up your alley.
BBE: I am ablaze with embarrassment at the knowledge that my spices are years old. Sigh!!! I'll never be the cook I want to be. My weak excuse is my family doesn't really like spicy food anyway. I have never made a curry dish in my life.
Karen: Three cheers for friendships that are truly give and take. They are rare and precious.
curleyjax: Looks like we were simultaneously posting. Funny we were both thinking finances. I could success the book that started me on the way to finance solutions 20 years ago: Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover. I often give it as a gift.

Today is nut cracking and a new recipe - Turkey meatball soup. The authors of my cookbook say that low fat meat does better in the instant pot because no moisture is released. Of course it is a soup

Last edited by maryann; 01-18-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #89  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan but weight is just holding. I will stay the course and if that doesn't work I'll have to tweak things a bit. I did a 90 minute hike this morning and I'll wait and take Otis on his walk in a little bit. I spent a couple of hours reading yesterday and I think I'll do more of that today. I haven't completed working on the office, which wouldn't take long if I just knuckled down. I seem to be so indecisive these days. Even cleaning off the bulletin board seems like a chore.

Maryann It sounds like you are enjoying your days off.
Curlyjax It is good for the soul to be able to commiserate with a good friend. I had to reign things in financially when I retired and of course it can be done. I know often they say the first step is to know exactly what you spend each month, even the little things. Once aware, I think it is easier to decide and prioritize how we really want to spend.
GardenerJoy I admire both your planning and writing ability. I remember when I finished writing my master's thesis I knew I never wanted to be a writer and it holds today. My lack of confidence led to way more time and research than many would have needed.
Bill I don't have as many spices as dw, but quite a few. I keep over 30 of them in the drawer. I have some rubber mats in the drawer with kind of an undulating pattern that holds them in place. What I love most is how easy they are to see.

Well you all have a good day and I aim to report tomorrow that the office is finished.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Author Edgar Allan Poe born (1809, Boston)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Carefully put the trash and the recyclables to the curb as I always do early Monday morning. Then, sheepishly pulled them back when I realized that it was a holiday. Put them back out this morning. When charging off to the office isn't on the daily agenda, it becomes easy to overlook holidays.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was Dahl - reminding me to be grateful to the folks around the Mediterranean who developed lentils. "Lentils grow well in regions where there is little rainfall." One great food. If I could only have one food for the rest of my life, lentils would be a candidate. With all the spices in DW's cabinet, of course. I have no idea what lentils taste like without tons of spices. Maybe like mashed potatoes without butter and salt.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the reminder that it takes structure to get going - even on things that we think that we want to do. Good luck with your novel.

maryann - LOL at being confronted that you're too old to retire early. One thing that I like about financial advice articles is being made aware of spending that's no longer visible to me.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you've invented a way to see the labels of all your spices. That's one of our problems that will send DW into building a set of steps for the littlest jars. Kudos for recognizing that your eating plan works for maintenance so that you can knowledgeably accept that or change it.

curlyjax - Kudos for confronting financial spending issues. It's so sobering to be hit with "Oh, that adds up." I haven't had bologna in a zillion years. I wonder if the deli would sell me one slice to get reminded?

Readers -
Quote:

• Nutritious foods, such as vegetables and whole grains, may be included, but the eating plan doesn't prescribe enough protein and healthy fats. Foods that contain protein and healthy fats help minimize hunger. But if you spend too many calories on simple carbohydrates, you will get too hungry.

Closed Thread