Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine (1496)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Installed another CO/Fire Alarm in a third-floor room where one hadn't existed before. There's one on that floor which I have always thought was enough; DW wanted more assurance. The major impact on our lives is that it'll be one more device beeping for its battery to be replaced. Small inconvenience for marital harmony. And the installation was welcome exercise because trips to the basement for forgotten items to do the install cover a bunch of stairs - an advantage of old Victorian houses of three floors with a basement.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the second dipping into the pot of black-eyed peas with ham. Still yummy beyond belief. Evening snack was part of a Cara Cara Orange and a Cosmic Crisp Apple. The Cara Cara's are particularly good this season.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for sticking your neck out and increasing your exercise goal for the month. Love the thought of walking in a snowfall.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder, "Eating extra food will have no effect on that outcome."

Karen (karenrn) - A Mexican chicken soup that makes five meals is a great deal. Congrats for getting Christmas put away.

curlyjax - Yay for that big part of Wegmans that allows you to get "a ham dinner for one." Yep, in a month the dispersal of your two kids will be a huge impact.

VertOlive - Kudos for completing your first 36 hour fast. And Super Kudos for changing your diet while still diagnosed "pre-".

jennyjyan6 - Thanks for the inspirational thoughts for the New Year. You might enjoy reading the Book Reviews of the books by Dr. Judith Beck and choose one to read to best understand this group.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 10 Make Response Cards
Quote:
If I compare myself with non-dieters or main-
tainers, I'll feel resentful. If I compare myself
with successful dieters, and maintainers, I'll
feel better and be more successful myself.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 45.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave since I'm going to do zoom church in a few minutes. I haven't done it for eons but I do like the New year theme. I did go for a walk and then coffee with my friend; we sat in our cars with the windows rolled down which kept us warm enough. It was great to see her and complain about some of the same things like thinking about dinner for the family etc She said it was actually nice not to have the inlaws visit this year-- I suspect many other folks felt the same way!
I didn't get to putting away the christmas stuff or do anything productive really yesterday. I'm going to see where the spirit takes me today!
Old 01-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #18  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and my habit tracker is helping me remember what I want to do each day. I'll be heading out shortly for a 10 mile loop hike that I had planned to do a couple of days ago. My hiking buddy isn't going so I will be able to listen to a book. I think she feels badly when she doesn't go, but I do like to go alone half the time or more. Food is planned for today and it isn't very exciting. I need to sit down with the cookbooks or look at the computer this afternoon to make a rough meal plan for dinners this week.

Curlyjax I need to get back to virtual church too. I really like our minister. Maybe I should listen to some of the older sermons when I walk.
Bill Good job getting another smoke detector installed. I'm sure those stairs are helpful in keeping you fit.
VertOlive Walking on a beach without crowds must be great. I'm sure sorry about the PW difficulties. That must be so frustrating.

Waving to Maryann and Joy. I'm heading out to get my hike in while I'm feeling in the mood.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

VertOlive: I am very interested in your fasting program. I have read a book about it but I didn't realize it was actually recommended for pre-diabetic. I thought it was the other way around. I know this summer I was not eating until after i exercised which was really helping me lose pounds but with my work schedule, I didn't feel it was realistic. Maybe I need to focus on my eating schedule again.
Karen: What a busy beaver you were yesterday. Good for you. When I get home I still have week vacation. I plan to freeze several experimental Instant Pot recipes. It is my hope to make ones that are calorie friendly so DH can lose twenty pounds during this health issue.
curletyjax: being in control of your food environment is huge for me. I am lucky that DH and DS are willing to just not bring stuff into the house that I can not resist.
gardenerjoy: Credit for increasing the exercise portion of your plan.
BBE: when I get back home, I will pick oranges off the ranch's trees. I wonder what type they are?

On today's agenda is cross country skiing while DS takes a lesson. Then we will pack up and get in line with the people traveling home. Luckily we only have to be on the interstate for about 20 miles and then we get to hop off onto a beautiful byway. I have another week left of vacation and I feel that completely unscheduled feeling. I started a couple of books - one is Olive, Again which is the followup to Olive Kitteridge which inspired me to get my MFA in Creative writing in 2003.

Last edited by maryann; 01-03-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

I'm feeling anxious about a project that I want to complete but it has a tight deadline and I'm not sure how I want to define complete and I'm not sure that any definition is possible in the time that I have to do it. Sigh. It almost makes me want to eat, instead. So here's my reminder that won't help. What will help is putting some time into it, because sometimes things get clearer in the process of doing the work.

Exercise +45, 95/1500 minutes for January
Old 01-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - English physicist Sir Isaac Newton born (1643, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was frozen Trader Joe's Chicken Burrito Bowl. Kinda good. 370 calories was enough to feel satisfied. Easy prep and limited dishes to wash afterward. We'll do it again, sometime. Evening snack was the same Cara Cara Orange and Cosmic Crisp Apple. Maybe I'm in a rut. But it's a happy rut.

Excitement was to make a trip to the basement and remember to bring up five things. That's five (5.0) things on one trip with nothing forgotten. Maybe a record for me. The bane of my current life is to head to the basement for one thing, think of a second, and then come back up with only the second item - totally forgetting about the first. Since exercise is good for me, it's hard to justify my compulsion to minimize trips to the basement. Methinks there's a bit of seclusion cabin fever happening.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I've always admired folks who just knew when something was complete. Deadlines seem to be the only thing that tells me that something is over.

maryann - Neat that you can write about cross-country skiing and picking oranges in the same post. Kudos for planning calorie friendly meals to help your DH.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a 10 mile hike with a good book in your ears.

curlyjax - It's realistic to have a non-productive day every now and then. Christmas stuff can get put up before the 4th of July.

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

sabotaging thought:
It isn't fair, Other people eat whatever they want.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #22  

Good morning, Coaches.

I made a last minute decision to send the boys home before the storm and stay up here through Wednesday. I will clean the cabin today and then snow shoe. I would like to try https://www.diamondpeak.com/ if the road is accessible tomorrow. I received four free passes with my xcountry ski pass. I have an audio book for the cleaning and snow showing portions of today's show.

I have a food plan in MFP. I have been averaging above 7,000 steps in 2021. Of course that will go down when I start working again so I need to run up the totals right now if I want to keep above 5,000 steps for the month.

Gardenerjoy: Very true that once the work is started, things become clearer. That happens ever semester for me at school. I start to get "teacher dreams" ( a certifiable phenomenon) that panic me into diving at just the right time. I, for instance, opened up my school email and created all next semester's Google classrooms last night even though I don't really need to look at the stuff until Sunday.
BBE: You know isolation is at a critical point if you go down to the basement, find a Wilson volleyball, paint a face on it, and start talking to it.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

I made progress on my project yesterday and, today, it looks like it's starting to come together in a way that I will have something to show for it -- something that is readable and actionable by other people and not just a confused mass of thoughts in my brain.

Exercise +45, 140/1500 minutes for January

maryann: The vision of a volleyball in BillBlueEyes' basement made me laugh! Thanks!
Old 01-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #24  

Good morning coaches,

I did the 10 mile hike yesterday and listened to most of a book which I finished early this morning. The weather was good and for at least half the hike I saw only a few people. I took today off from hiking and have done the grocery shopping this morning. Oh food was on plan yesterday and weight is coming off slowly but surely. A MN friend who is here at her condo may come over this afternoon for a distanced visit with her dog in our back yard. He is about a year old golden retriever, so I will see how that goes for Otis. I am trying to safely see a few people and I mean safely cause our numbers are horrendous.

GardenerJoy I'm glad your project is coming together.
Maryann That sounds like a great idea to stay for a couple more days. I hope you get to do your snow shoeing tomorrow.
Bill Yes I think we all go to retrieve things and then forget what we were going for. At least I know I do.
Curlyjax I imagine you are back to work today. I hope it goes well.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - German newspaper announces Wilhelm Rφntgen's discovery of X-rays (1896)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was signing up for next semester's courses. Actually, the form allows me to list my preferences - including alternatives; some giant algorithm bangs everyone's preferences against the courses available and creates class lists for each. It so reminds me of being an undergraduate where we'd go to the dean's office with our list in hand and get told what classes we'd be allowed to take. My memory is that back then we'd know immediately because the person with the class list wrote in our name or they didn't. Being first in line gave an advantage. This algorithm is said to eliminate the advantage for submitting one's preferences earlier than others; if you make the deadline, you're in the pool together. Kinda fun to have an unknown in life that isn't bad - just different.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the third, and last, dip into the black-eyed peas and ham. Got a lot of mileage out of that with fond memories of each. Same old evening snack.

But the big excitement was that I got the sound bar that sits below our new TV to work at last. Bought it with the TV last October; hooked it up fairly promptly, but it produced no sound. Wasn't a problem since we haven't had an occasion to watch TV, but DW wanted to have the option of watching movies as winter sets in when she can't muck about outside. Finally got it to work by pushing every button and resetting every option. Now that I've done it, the next time will be easy. Good, since we seem to buy a new TV every twenty years or so, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat progress to get to the point of an "actionable" product.

maryann - LMAO at having a Wilson Volleyball with a face to chat with in my basement. google says that I can now buy one - delivered. Neat that you'll get some extra time out on the snow.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for "and I mean safely cause our numbers are horrendous" - my fear is that we're all dropping our guard even as things get worse. Otis and a one-year-old Golden Retriever should be a fun pair.

Readers -
Quote:

You may know a few thin people who seem to be able to eat whatever they want, whenever they want. I wish I could wave a magic wand and grant you the ability to eat whatever you want and still lose weight. But to lose weight permanently, you will have to limit your portions forever. The moment you start eating too many calories is the moment you start gaining weight. But you're not alone in this! It's true for every dieter and maintainer - myself included.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave. Not sleeping well the past few days and I'm feeling the effects today, bleg. Credit for doing my weights yesterday, and being inspired to create a zuchini kale tomato sauce stirfry as a side dish, as I am sick of roasted veggies at this point and need something new.
Karen- a one year golden retriever has a lot of energy, that will be interesting!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #27  

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in because I'm leaving for a hike very soon. Food was on plan yesterday and I did my arm/shoulder exercises and plank. My plan is made for today. I'm feeling a little less chunky in the middle and what a good feeling that is.

I would have to say Otis is not Mr. Hospitality. When Duke and his owner came in via the side gate he growled at him. Duke is actually pretty mellow for only a year old, but Otis was not that interested in him. I could see he prefers humans who just come over and give him the attention he so deserves. Luckily at least they got along for the 90 minutes he was here.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #28  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I spent a whole day deep cleaning the cabin. I put light fixtures in the dishwasher ( not the lightbulbs ). I cleaned baseboards and de-webbed the ceilings and walls.The place is fairly new and small ( 1350 square feet). That makes the devotion of a day cleaning quicker and more satisfying than doing an older cabin. Weather prohibited getting out yesterday and this morning I woke up to chain control so I will wait for the sun to hit the roads and make some decisions. I laugh knowing that snow is just another winter day for BBE and curleyjax. I am not sure how much snow fall Missouri (gardenerjoy) gets but I hear the ice is the real problem. I listened to an audiobook the whole time and will finish it today.

I entered housework steps into my phone app since I didn't carry my phone around the house with me.I am finishing up all the food around the house. Breakfast this morning was some of the last cranberries and pineapple mixed with cooked oatmeal and Swerve (which is a sugar replacement made of erythritol.) It is not suppose to raise blood sugar. I don't use much.

Wave to all.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

I'm posting late today because I immediately jumped into my project. It's done, now -- yay! And, I immediately ate something off plan -- sigh.

I'm not sure if I've ever identified the moment of completion as a trigger for eating, but it definitely is one. And, now I know. A walk worked much better at releasing the stress hormones. So, I'm going to attempt to remember that and to schedule a walk for immediately after completing a big project.

Exercise +60, 200/1500 minutes for January
Old 01-06-2021, 05:31 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Alfred Wegener presents theory of continental drift (1912, Frankfurt)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Journey to the supermarket was uneventful. That's nice to write. They had the Simply JIF peanut butter that DW likes but can't get in the markets where she shops. We're a mixed marriage; we buy and eat separate peanut butter. First world problem, to be sure.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled salmon - as it frequently is on Tuesdays when DW shops Whole Foods where we get good, fresh fish. (Not cheap, but fresh, LOL.) Evening snack was the usual.

The day was spent preparing for a long afternoon Zoom meeting for a volunteer organization. Was rather nice when one member of the four of us told us that she had to be in California for the next three months. Nice because it won't affect our next two meetings; she'll Zoom from California just as easily as from the Boston area. "This would have been an issue, pre-COVID", he said, stretching for a silver lining.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for completing your project. I like the idea of a walk to release stress hormones.

maryann - That's an impressive amount of cleaning, Congrats for doing what has to be done.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL that "Otis is not Mr. Hospitality." Defending his castle against intruders, he was. Yep, Otis the guard dog.

curlyjax - That zucchini kale tomato sauce stirfry sounds good. Hope sleep returns.

Readers -
Quote:

Most thin people don't eat whatever they want. Most thin people are careful. They continually restrict their eating.

Closed Thread