3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/321821-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-january-2021-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 01-01-2021 06:51 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life

and the first book

The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes 01-01-2021 06:52 AM

Friday - New Year's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was making the journey to a store that sells and services snow blowers. The notion is to buy a tube as the sure way to fix the flat tire on our snow blower. It's so difficult to remove the tire from the rim - which my neighbor has done already - that we might as well take the most sure way of fixing it when reassembling. But, Drats! They didn't have a tube in our size. Will have to order through Amazon or Walmart. After taking the effort to support a local business, forced to use mail order from one of the giants. If I wasn't COVID aware, I'd go wander a Home Depot or Lowes since my male brain is capable of puttering around a hardware store.

Even more exciting was to receive an oversized envelope from a relative in New Jersey - large enough to warrant $1.80 postage. Issue? It was mailed on December 2nd and arrived on December 31st. That's 19 days transit for 300 miles up the East Coast. Reminds me that I'll hand carry my ballot to the polling station rather than use the mail. Usually we get better than superb service from the Post Office, but when they slip up it's a doozy.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Grilled salmon and Brussels sprouts for dinner. Cosmic Crisp Apple for evening snack. The year ends on plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on your weight loss and maintenance for 2020. Regardless of healthiness, sign me up for "shrimp and cocktail sauce, fresh baguette, and veggies with dip."

maryann - Thanks for your recipe for using fresh cranberries. I've never gotten past the tart to try that.

Karen (karenrn) - Feels like the whole world skipped the celebrations for the New Year. I woke up from dozing to listen to the fireworks at midnight - just the illegal fireworks since the big Boston fireworks were cancelled. Even the illegals only lasted a few minutes instead of the normal hour-ish. This morning's news shows pictures of Times Square in NY deserted. Strange times. [Yep, DGD visits next Wednesday.]

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 10 Make Response Cards

Once you accept that you need to practice every skill each day, and follow your eating plan (every meal and every snack) each day, you end the struggle and you increase the odds exponentially that you will lose excess weight and keep it off forever.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 44.

curlyjax 01-01-2021 11:17 AM

A few bad days. Too much family time, gloomy/cold out and the pandemic is getting to me. When I’m at my worst I despair of ever losing weight as I emotionally eat and the call of sugar is omnipresent, and I feel ashamed of myself for looking so dumpy.
But- its a new year and its SUNNY out thank goodness. I am still lounging about in bed late this morning. I’m going to a different grocery store for a change of scene and will buy some easy dinner stuff there.
Yesterday a friend stopped by with a small container of cookies just for me, and it did cheer me up to be thought of (I had given her some a few weeks ago and instructed her to hide them from her kids!)
Yay for new calendars to be opened, and remembering to write 2021, and hopefully a MUCH better year for the world!
So grateful you are all here, it’s such a wonderful supportive group. It’s a wonderful start to my day to drink coffee in the morning and see how everyone’s day went.

Happy New Year all!

maryann 01-01-2021 11:50 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

This was a tough New Year's eve for me. DH came back from his Dec. 24th Dr. appointment with the diagnosis of prostate cancer. His case is being transferred to UC Davis Med Center and he will be operated on ASAP. The ASAP part is not because it is aggressive ( Thank God) but because the treatment requires 6 weeks down time. He is worried about getting into busy season. I woke up weepy. I realize how lucky we are in our life. I have many close family and friends to whom I can talk. We have the financial resources to weather this comfortably. Our Son is healthy and happy in Michigan. Still, fear can be corrosive. So I plan to get into action. The Doc gave DH a book I will read (written by a Dr. at DS's University I say proudly). I think one of the most important things I can do work with DH on his diet. He is about 30 pounds overweight. I will talk frankly with him. Maybe we can do this together.

As everyone has said, I have appreciated our little group this year. It helps create and intention of food responsibility that is critical for me.

Wave to all.

karenrn 01-01-2021 01:03 PM

Good morning coaches,

I had another on plan day and switched out a cocktail for the Prosecco because I don't have the proper type cork for it and I'm thinking about having a Dry January. The closing device we had wasn't working and I threw it away. I got up with plans to go for a 10 mile loop hike but our air quality is really bad today, so I'm not going to do that. I had a tiny scratchy throat for a couple of seconds yesterday and my mind immediately goes to "did I get Covid?" instead of "did I sleep with my mouth open or something?". With really bad air quality I can imagine it not being so good for my lungs or throat. Anyway, even though I'm not really anxious to take down Christmas I will do that today. Dh is ready to have it put away. I did write some resolutions yesterday and I also purchased some new face and eye cream which is part of the "take good care of me" plan.

Maryann I'm so sorry to hear about your dh. My husband had prostate cancer ten years ago. He actually got sepsis from the biopsy and was in the hospital when the doctor came to let us know. I had told myself that the sepsis was enough, surely he would not have cancer. He was 54 at the time. He had the robotic assisted surgery by Dr. Shapiro who went to medical school in Michigan and has been just fine. I know it is scary though and then the PSA test is done frequently afterwards and is always nerve wracking. He has his PSA checked annually now and hasn't had to see the urologist for a number of years. I do hope your husband does as well.

Curlyjax I think we are all glad to turn the page on 2020. I got my new calendar out this morning and hung it beside the desk. I am feeling dumpty too but it is not going to last. We can do this!

Bill I wonder where the heck that envelope was for all that time. I think many did skip celebrating. Usually there are fireworks at midnight in our neighborhood and Otis goes crazy. Either there weren't any last night or we all slept through them. That's good since we started getting a chirp from the fire alarm at 3:30 a.m. Battery is changed now and all is well. In fact the batteries are changed in all of them.

GardenerJoy I am so proud of you and this year I am doing what you did last year. That is an incredible weight loss and maintenance in a year when so many of us were giving ourselves a pass. Good for you!

I'm going to get moving now and get Christmas put away. You all have a great day.

gardenerjoy 01-01-2021 03:08 PM

Happy New Year! We enjoyed our family Zoom call and festive supper. We were in bed well before midnight with sporadic neighborhood fireworks from dusk until shortly after midnight. Icy rain probably dampened everyone's enthusiasm for blowing up things in their yards.

We woke up to any frozen fairyland, a thin sheet of ice on all the trees. I'm hoping for a walk in a couple of hours when icy patches will have melted from the surfaces.

Exercise +30, 1420/1400 minutes for December

maryann: I'm so sorry the diagnosis was prostate cancer. It sounds like y'all are working through the necessary steps. DH is scheduled for his biopsy later this month.

VertOlive 01-02-2021 01:49 AM

I am back; this entire time struggling with forum access issues. Some kind of non-synch between forum and cell phone password memory.

I feel very upbeat for the coming year. As for all of us, there have been changes and craziness. I have a new job in an athletic club, my husband has been disabled by diabetic neuropathy, and my 14 yr/o son struggles with online school. Somehow I still feel positive!

And to keep me smiling, Percy the Scottie puppy, now 7 months, is now big enough to reach the toilet paper and run joyfully through the house with the other 3 dogs in tow. Delightful!

Prayers for your dear husband, Maryann.

BillBlueEyes 01-02-2021 06:34 AM

Saturday - Emir Muhammad surrenders Muslim rule in the Iberian peninsula (1492)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a minor victory to finally replace the CO/Fire alarm on the dining room ceiling. It had expired months ago - then fallen into the to be fixed real-soon-now category. Wasn't that hard, although it took more steps and more trips to the basement than planned. Naturally, the holes in the ceiling for the old unit didn't match where the new unit required; that was on extra trip for a drill and 3/16" bit. It comes with a set of instructions to stick on the wall next to the alarm that state that when the alarm goes off, one should leave the house. Presumably after reading the size 2 font instructions, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was black-eyed peas over rice cooked with the ham bone from Christmas. Absolutely the best! It was served every year when I was a kid. Already talking about a ham next year just to have the ham bone for New Year's black-eyed peas.

Evening snack was a Cosmic Crisp Apple and portions of a Cara Cara Orange. Rather nice eating for a guy avoiding the outside world.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your "frozen fairyland" sounds beautiful - even if a bit dangerous for a walk.

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts as your family faces your DH's diagnosis of prostate cancer. All the men I know who've been down that path are full time healthy now.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for having some minor steps in a "take good care of me" plan - good Beck strategy.

curlyjax - I second your thought, "hopefully a MUCH better year for the world!" A few cookies hidden from your kids is a good mood booster.

VertOlive - Congrats for defeating the technical issues preventing access to 3FC. Sending supportive thoughts for dealing with your DH's situation. There are a lot of kids struggling to get this online school thing to work. Super Kudos for feeling positive. Waving at Percy.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 10 Make Response Cards
Make this card:
Quote:

I'm choosing to say NO CHOICE. If I want to lose
weight, I have to do what I need to do, not what
I feel like doing.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 44.

maryann 01-02-2021 12:04 PM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts. We are working through the initial shock that comes with the realization that very healthy people can actually get sick. I ate more than I should yesterday. I know it was emotional eating. Everybody has had great stories about healthy outcomes after the robotic surgery. Eating extra food will have no effect on that outcome. In honor of my new goal of an average of 5,000 steps a day for the year, I used my new snowshoes and had a terrific time in the forrest. 7500 steps. Today I will cross country and clean the cabin.

DH and I played our new Christmas game Sequence into the night and I enjoyed it. We are working on things we do together since our past times don't normally intersect except when DS is around. I'm going to buy a backgammon board for us as well.

Karen: I will also put the Christmas things away quickly. It was a short window this year. It will be good to move on.
BBE: I hate dealing with the fire alarms. We have bought some that plug in to an electrical outlet. They have a battery backup as well.
Gardenerjoy: I am glad your DH went ahead with the biopsy scheduled. I am glad we are moving forward.

curlyjax 01-02-2021 12:09 PM

Better yesterday. I’m realizing its going to be a looong winter and I’m really going to need all my introvert reserves to get thru it. I need to spend less time on the internet at the end of the day, or find some inspiring things to read.
I am sooo sick of thinking/planning food but it does need to be done. In one month hopefully!! Both kids will be off at school and there will be a lot more flexibility- and no junk in the house.
I am taking a walk with a friend today which should really perk me up.
Maryann- so sorry to hear about DH. Prostrate cancer does seem to be very treatable but what a hard time of the year to get the dx, and cancer is scary no matter what. Sounds like he is in very good treatment hands.
Gardenerjoy-I meant to comment on your weight loss too, great job and very impressive this year especially!
Karen-yes, we can do this! I hear you about those little scares of health and wondering about covid. Glad your husband is doing great 10 years post. I think I will take down Christmas stuff tomorrow, I am done!
Bill-yay for finally fixing a ‘to be fixed real soon’ job, I can relate to those jobs. I got a ham dinner for one from Wegmans yesterday and it was the perfect amount of ham.
VertOlive- glad you have a new job that hopefully will be less stressful. Sorry about your DH, that is painful I’ve heard. Yay for a puppy that makes you smile.

gardenerjoy 01-02-2021 01:42 PM

My exercise year began with a walk during a snowfall and a yoga routine that included lots of sun salutations and warrior poses. Adventure, strength, and balance seem good themes for 2021.

I increased my monthly exercise minutes goal for the first time in a while. I've been reaching 1400 minutes easily and I want to continue to increase my yoga sessions without losing motivation for my walks.

Exercise +40, 40/1500 minutes for January

karenrn 01-02-2021 04:06 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

A good on plan day with food yesterday. Although I didn't hike yesterday, I did get started with the video for arm and shoulder exercises and a plank. Today's food plan is made, I did a 7 mile hike with a friend and I have completed the video and plank too. I made a Mexican chicken soup yesterday that will be five meals for us. Three went in the freezer and we're having it again this evening with a side salad. Dh has about 4 pounds to get back off and is happy with a light meal again. I did get Christmas put away and found some new empty places to put things that are handier than the cupboards in the garage. My kitchen island has cupboards on the back side where the stools are that are not very deep. They are perfect for vases, candles and some of my other set around type Christmas decorations. I personalized a habit tracker tool I had and will use it for nine of the things I hope to do either daily or 5/7 days of the week. I'm hoping it will serve as a reminder. Some are diet/exercise and others are not.

GardenerJoy Adventure, strength and balance sound like very good themes for 2021. I will need to start some yoga within a few months for flexibility and balance.

Curlyjax At least the days are already getting longer. Reading for an hour a day is on my habit tracker and yesterday I started Orphan Train. So often I listen to audiobooks, but I think it will be nice to sit and read. A big change is coming for you in one month. You will have so much more control of your environment.

Maryann The snowshoeing and cross country skiing sound just delightful. I need to find some things to do with my dh too. I will check out the Sequence game.

Bill Do the black eyed peas bring good luck? I bet they were tasty whether they do or not. One of the smoke detectors started chirping again. We're wondering if our 9 volt batteries were old. I guess I had better get some new ones in the house.

VertOlive It's such a wonderful thing to be feeling positive. Keep it up. Your puppy is just darling. All our cockers have loved dragging the toilet paper around the house, or chewing up any paper products they can find. I guess there are worse things for sure.

VertOlive 01-02-2021 11:21 PM

I have a diagnosis of pre-diabetes/insulin resistance and have been following an intermittent fasting protocol. Today I completed my first 36 hour fast and I’m terribly pleased by that. I only experienced a couple mild hunger waves which passed quickly as I focused on work. And at work I logged 11,088 steps, which is normal for my job. A win for the new year!

Percy and I will walk the beach tomorrow, it’s sunny and 70’s and Covid has kept the tourists at bay.

​​​​​​​Sigh, it took me three password changes to make this post!

jennyjyan6 01-03-2021 01:16 AM

HI everyone to a new 2021

Hi everyone to a new 2021, hope that everyone will hold strong in their spirit and fight through another year safely and sound. Hope we will be healthier both physically and mentally in this new fresh year!

jennyjyan6 01-03-2021 01:18 AM

Great daily plan and very inspirational. Thanks for sharing your plan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karenrn (Post 5425428)
Good afternoon coaches,

A good on plan day with food yesterday. Although I didn't hike yesterday, I did get started with the video for arm and shoulder exercises and a plank. Today's food plan is made, I did a 7 mile hike with a friend and I have completed the video and plank too. I made a Mexican chicken soup yesterday that will be five meals for us. Three went in the freezer and we're having it again this evening with a side salad. Dh has about 4 pounds to get back off and is happy with a light meal again. I did get Christmas put away and found some new empty places to put things that are handier than the cupboards in the garage. My kitchen island has cupboards on the back side where the stools are that are not very deep. They are perfect for vases, candles and some of my other set around type Christmas decorations. I personalized a habit tracker tool I had and will use it for nine of the things I hope to do either daily or 5/7 days of the week. I'm hoping it will serve as a reminder. Some are diet/exercise and others are not.

GardenerJoy Adventure, strength and balance sound like very good themes for 2021. I will need to start some yoga within a few months for flexibility and balance.

Curlyjax At least the days are already getting longer. Reading for an hour a day is on my habit tracker and yesterday I started Orphan Train. So often I listen to audiobooks, but I think it will be nice to sit and read. A big change is coming for you in one month. You will have so much more control of your environment.

Maryann The snowshoeing and cross country skiing sound just delightful. I need to find some things to do with my dh too. I will check out the Sequence game.

Bill Do the black eyed peas bring good luck? I bet they were tasty whether they do or not. One of the smoke detectors started chirping again. We're wondering if our 9 volt batteries were old. I guess I had better get some new ones in the house.

VertOlive It's such a wonderful thing to be feeling positive. Keep it up. Your puppy is just darling. All our cockers have loved dragging the toilet paper around the house, or chewing up any paper products they can find. I guess there are worse things for sure.