Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Not a good day in general yesterday, but at least I slept better last night. I tried some vegetable burgers which were actually good but not filling enough. Boy am I tired of thinking about food. I guess that's the point of having a plan so you don't have to think about it, but I'm having trouble even getting to that point.
DS now has a move in date for college in about 2 weeks from now, goodness! We had started ordering sheets etc last summer but stopped when we knew he wasn't going yet, so I need to figure out what is still needed.
I'm meeting a friend for a walk on Saturday am so that is something to look forward to.
Karen-too funny about Otis. At least he tolerated the other dog. yay for a less chunky middle!
Bill- LOL about the peanut butter. DS and I were that way about mayonnaise- I was raised on miracle whip and he couldn't stand it, so we had two containers.
Gardenerjoy- yay for a completed project and a new way to celebrate it.
Maryann-I'm still quite wary about snow and driving etc, but the cold is definitely something we're used to, even if some of us complain about it

Old 01-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My weight was just above my red line this morning, which wasn't a surprise. My red line is very bright. Above 87.5kgs and I feel fat. Below it, I don't. I'm grateful to have a red line that is so naturally motivating.

Exercise +50, 250/1500 minutes for January
Old 01-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Gardenerjoy: I also overeat in the afterglow of accomplishment. We have a saying in AA: the most dangerous time to pick up a drink is when I am happy, not when I am sad.
BBE: You can, of course, avoid the great peanut butter crisis but putting the specific brand on Amazon subscribe and save. It will regularly appear - pandemic be damned. Then all you have to worry about is the day the dystopian world of Amazon Rule begins.
curleyjax: I am sorry the days seem tougher right now. I am sure some of it has to do with DS leaving. I know it is emotional for us.

Down in the valley with a clean house. (Our cleaner came here while I was up cleaning the cabin. (Whatever works ! ) The exciting news is the new pecan cracker arrived. I'll be out testing it today. I also have lots of grocery shopping to do.

Yesterday I walked despite a brain telling me housework counted for exercise. I weighed myself twice as usual. I cut all my meal portions in half.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Galileo discovers moons Io, Europa, & Ganymede (1610, Jupiter)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She did every game and puzzle in our house. When she picked up Isadora Moon for me to read, she flipped to where we'd left off by remembering the last picture that she saw two week ago. I longed for that kind of memory. She burned energy by running in circles around a mattress on the floor in a game of her invention. DW was exhausted just watching her.

Eating was on plan with only a (planned) left-over Gala Apple on the drive home from dropping off the DGD. That's become so much of a ritual that I think of it as being hungry. If I don't eat it, it'll go in the fridge to die a slow death or, due to ancient Depression Ear Mentality, gets eaten by me for evening snack even though brown and a tad mushy. Dinner was a Trader Joe's frozen Beef Shepherd's Pie. The box said that it served two but that made all of dinner only 170 calories not counting the green salad. Only good enough - served its purpose of a no-cooking, no-cleanup meal. I had my normal Cosmic Crisp Apple for evening snack.

Evening was spent glued to the TV in the living room watching Washington, D.C. - not believing that it was happening in my country. Finally signed off at 10:30pm when I believed that the process would continue and conclude before dawn. Woke up to discover that it had at 3:30am this morning. Closer to the cliff edge than I care to walk.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Great to have a red line that is motivating. Always enjoy seeing your weight in kilograms - as if that was a unit of measure used by the world.

maryann - LOL at the image of Dystopian Amazon subscribe-and-save delivering my peanut butter like the brooms delivering buckets of water to Mickey Mouse in Sorcerer's Apprentice - Fantasia. Kudos for adjusting your meal portions.

curlyjax - Ouch for "Boy am I tired of thinking about food." Yep, I, too, wish my brain would focus on something else.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 10 Make Response Cards

Barbara recently told me that she felt jealous of her sister-in-law, Lauren, because Lauren didn't have to diet. I asked Barbara to pay attention to what Lauren ate. Barbara observed her for several weeks. She discovered that Lauren often left food on her plate. She ate dessert only infrequently and, even then, had just a few bites. At t restaurants, Lauren ordered only a main course and often ate half the portions she was served. Barbara later asked Lauren why she ate that way. It was a revelation to Barbara to learn that her sister-in-law consciously limited her eating to avoid gaining weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 45.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #35  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I got watching the horrible news yesterday afternoon and forgot to post. Food was on plan Tuesday and yesterday mostly, but I did break my dry January and had 2 drinks yesterday. Weight was lower yesterday and remains the same today. I am back to dry January. I will not let one slip change that. I've been doing a lot of hiking and was supposed to walk with a friend today but she cancelled, so I am going to use my energy to do all the housework. I'm feeling tearful about what is going on in our country, so I'm glad I don't have to fake it during a walk that is a bit stressful at best. I've been doing well with my arm/shoulder exercises and planks. I think the habit tracker helps me remember.

Bill 170 calories would certainly not be enough for my dinner, even with a side salad. Yes, it is hard to imagine this is happening in our country. My son, who is in Thailand, says it was so strange to be watching it on television there.

Maryann Let us know how the pecan cracker works. I've been joking about my housekeeper being a no show on a regular basis. I had one until about 4 years ago when mine quit to take care of her granddaughter. This one (me) decides to do almost anything else on a regular basis. Luckily we are both very neat and the dog doesn't shed.

GardenerJoy Good for you for paying attention to your red line rather than make excuses and have more to lose like I did.

Curlyjax The two things I do so I don't have to think about food as much are to eat mostly the same thing for breakfast and lunch and actually write a food plan each morning. I like what I choose so it's not a problem. I know it isn't for everyone, but I think it is a strategy that many use.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #36  

Well, we are certainly living in exciting times! Relieved the certification finally went thru.
Better day yesterday although I ate too much banana bread. I ended up cooking some chicken that wouldn't last much longer, while listening to the news, so there is cooked chicken to do something with tonight. I need to do my weights today.
Maryann- I had to laugh at your comment- I am actually really looking forward to an empty nest for 3 months and some PEACE and TIME to myself.
Karen- that is a good idea. I generally have the same breakfast every day and I used to do a salad every day for lunch but I've gotten lazy with that being home. I generally think thru dinners for the week when I plan my shopping list, but I need to start spelling out each day more thoroughly and then stick to it.
Bill-those little kids do have amazing memories. I wish I had half the energy they do! Shepherd's pie sounds good.
Gardenerjoy- my red line has moved up over the years good for you for being motivated by it.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #37  

Good Morning, Coaches.

As with many of you, yesterday's images were highly disturbing. I will of course start with it in my class on Monday. I have just erased several sentences that might be controversial and I do not want to be controversial here. There is already too much controversy in my own home, with friends of forty years, and within both my place of work and of worship. That is the most disturbing issue to me. All the aforementioned places are filled with much trust and love and yet even my small community can not stop from becoming polarized.

Yesterday's food was OP. I listened to some of Dr. Greger again to freshen up my strategies. The pecan cracker did indeed produce many halves. It was a little frightening in the noise. I had to get use to it. It blew a circuit in the garage that DH told me how to fix this morning. Glad I didn't have to call an electrician. I roasted about a pound of nuts and put them in my dinner and breakfast this morning. Yum! I have hundreds of pounds of them all driedready to crack. Today's job is to get a small table to ergonomically set up my little station. Also on the agenda is to drive down to Mom's and clean up her Christmas things. I have only a few days of vacation left and much to accomplish.

Karen: If I was a normal drinker I would have a few as well. I appreciate Dh being neat as well. It saves a lot of steps.
Curleyjax: At one point I was a demon menu planner. I have been thinking about getting back to it with the focus of DH weigh loss for his surgery.
BBE: I have refused to stop sitting cross legged on the floor as I did as a child. Once i stop, I'll never go back. Just as once I would race around like DGD, now I sit and type or read. But then again. there is a season.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

I've done way too much doom scrolling in the last 24 hours. Fortunately, that is not an activity that I do while eating. Unfortunately, eating is a tool that works to break the pattern. I'm working on finding healthier alternatives -- a walk or doing the next thing on the list that I planned.

This was never going to be a calm day with shopping this morning and two overlapping Zoom meetings tonight. Here's my reminder that while food can make me calmer, it only lasts about five minutes. A five-minute stretching break would work just as well and doesn't add calories that I don't need.

Exercise +50, 300/1500 minutes for January
Old 01-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - American singer Elvis Presley born (1935, Tupelo, Miss)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ran an errand; got out of my car and attempted to pull up my mask. I'd forgotten it. Ouch! Could have driven back home, but my time inside was going to be brief. So, I pulled up my fuzzy vest over my face for the time I was inside. It passed - plausibly even as effective as my mask. OK, it looked stupid, but I was practicing pandemic etiquette and safety. I've put a pair of extra masks in a plastic baggie to put in the glove compartment of my car. I thought I'd done that already. Turns out that I had, but I'd used it one day and, without thinking, worn it back inside.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was leftover grilled salmon, fresh spinach, baked sweet potato, and green salad. One of our go-to meals.

Spent most of the day doom-scrolling (thanks Joy) - what a way to waste a human life. More usefully, I ordered a stand to hold our new TV to be more stable when the DGD is running in circles. I hadn't known that there's a standardized pattern of screw holes in the back of the TV to make attachment to a stand or a wall bracket easy. Finally found one that fits our needs. I really wanted to drop by my favorite computer store to buy it but COVID reality suggested that pushing the Amazon button was the right way to go.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for "while food can make me calmer, it only lasts about five minutes." For me, it also increases my belief that only food can help.

maryann - Congrats for having the courage to use these current events with your class. I do hate for kids that age to think that this is normal. Am uber jealous that you can still sit cross-legged on the floor.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for "I am back to dry January. I will not let one slip change that." Can't imagine what it's like for your DS to be watching yesterday's events from Thailand.

curlyjax - Love the idea to cook up the chicken and then decide what to do with it. Banana bread calls to me big time.

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

In reality, most people restrict their eating to some degree. When I give workshops on dieting to professionals, I often ask the audience members to stand up. I question, "How many of you eat whatever you want, whenever you want, in whatever quantity you want?" I ask those that do to remain standing and everyone else to sit down. In response, about three-quarters of the audience sits.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #40  

I managed to get my weights done and a brief walk during the day too. A jogger coming toward me moved to the other further side of the road, and then spit shortly after passing me (albeit on the other side). I thought to myself- is he not thinking, or is it some kind of aggressive thing, because who spits during a pandemic? I forgot to bring my mask as I was just walking in the neighborhood-did he see that and react to it? I didn't see if he had one on. I entertained myself with these paranoid thoughts. Then I decided-its not worth my mental energy, and forgot about it. There's more good than bad in the world, and that's what I focus on.
Frustration last night trying to get DS's new phone to work- which he bought a few months ago and is now finally getting to. We ended up calling customer service-she was clearly reading from a script, because when I said i didn't understand what she meant, she just repeated it instead of saying it differently. We gave up and are going to visit a phone store today. I DETEST dealing with stuff like this. First world problem but you do need a phone these days.
Maryann- that is a powerful pecan cracker! Very cool. Good luck in getting everything done.
Gardenerjoy-stretching is a great break idea.
Bill-it is amazingly easy even after all this time to occasionally forget the mask or to keep extras in the car. I remember driving my dtr's car in the summer and being stuck without a mask- i think i ended up pulling my shirt to cover my face quickly.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #41  

Marimaro: Welcome. Strong spirits and fresh new years sound wonderful.
curleyjax: DS and DH just went through the phone thing and got NO help even at the store. Crossing my fingers for you two.
BBE: We still have not tackled buying the smart tv in the bedroom. DH wants to wait until the "dumb" tv dies. Every leap into new tech takes quite a bit of effort but then that counts as keeping me young - just like sitting cross legged on the carpet.
gardenerjoy: Thanks for the reminder that the food fix lasts five minutes. I need to go back to clock watching. This is a great tool for me. I don't eat, watch the clock, and see how long the craving lasts before it moves on or I forget about it.

Yesterday was very productive. I did a big grocery shop at my least favorite place to shop. I spent several hours helping Mom put Xmas away. It was a very good visit. I put the new nut cracker on a small table I stole from my classroom (currently not in use). So far I can get 2 pounds of halves an hour. I listened to my audiobook while doing it. Today's research will be to see how long the roasted nuts remain fresh in a food saver bag. I plan to give them as bday gifts and Xmas gifts over the year. They are delish and very healthy. Much healthier than the Sees candy I had delivered. Cheaper as well. I'll sew decorative bags to put them in.

I weighed twice, manually entered my steps for Mom's housework in my pedometer, added vinegars and cumin, de-floured my diet with a simple dinner of the groat mixture with olives and pecans in it. Thursdays, the boys go to pizza and I am freed from making a traditional meal.

Wave to Karen.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #42  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I just got home from a hike and then a walk with Otis. I had planned a longer hike alone, but ended up not being motivated enough to do 4 hours by myself, so did a shorter one with a friend. Dinner was changed out due to a friend of dh's coming over when I needed to start cooking, but it was an equivalent exchange (once he left). It was no problem getting back to the dry January at least not so far. I did get a lot of housework done yesterday. Today I will do some of the office work that I didn't complete. My weight was down yesterday, but up a smidge today. I'm going to follow my plan and know that it is just a fluctuation, not a real gain.

Maryann Great that you had a productive day and especially your good visit with your Mom. Boy do I wish I still had my Mom. She was beautiful, well read, well traveled and just someone easy to admire.

Curlyjax I too hope you get the phone issue resolved. Those kind of things are frustrating for sure.

Bill I am trying to limit my doom scrolling a bit and if I find enough to keep me busy it helps for sure. Dh is just not wanting to even watch the news and I guess I feel like I need to know enough for the two of us. It does help that he goes to work all day.

GardenerJoy Yes darned eating seems to be the thing for transitions. I am trying to just follow the food that is on my plan and just wait for meals. If only it worked on those not so motivated days.

I have several phone calls I feel like I "should" make to friends, but I just don't have it in me. I think I'm just going to remind myself that the phone lines go both ways. This afternoon I have a Zoom happy hour with my former co-workers and tomorrow I will have a distanced gathering with my PNP gals. I'm looking forward to both.

Take care and stay safe all of you!
Old 01-09-2021, 06:28 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday-Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople (475)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - One more major step forward; more clothes gone: A Travel Smith tan canvas traveling sport coat/jacket with a zillion pockets. So many places - so many memories. I'm just not that size now and not likely to drop down that much ever again. Enough pockets to substitute as a photographer's vest yet sports coat enough to wear to a restaurant. A Harris Tweed wool sports coat. So often worn as the only outer wear in light winter usage - like a sweater / jacket. In its pocket, I found a flash light that attaches to the head - like a spelunker wears. I'd take that to the theater because it had a red light that wasn't annoying to the others during intermission. And it fit in the pocket. I've long ago replaced it - despite being expensive. Several Navy blue wool blazers; fit well a few sizes ago. Fondly remember so many places they've taken me. And more. My brain confuses possessions with my past; I haven't given up my past.

These days, I hardly have any occasion to wear a suit or sports coat. Maybe that's my new life.

We sufficiently conquered our new Smart TV to watch The Lady from Shanghai staring Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth. DW watched the whole thing without realizing that the dashing young Irishman was Orson Welles, himself. "I thought he was old and very fat." Was fun remembering that young Rita Hayworth was the ideal of beauty in those day. I suppose DW had us watch a 1947 movie to get started on catching up. Just 74 years to go, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi.

maryann - LOL at "until the "dumb" tv dies" - BTDT. That's how I come to be in 2021 setting up a Smart TV for the first time. It wasn't that hard once I finally caught on that there's a computer inside running things. With a zillion settings and options. When we first tried to watch it, we were seriously disappointed that the TV show was fuzzy - much less sharp than our old dumb TV. Turns out that the factory setting says to squash a regular TV sized picture into 16:9 format so that no black space is shown on the left and right of the picture. It was that squashing that made it fuzzy. Once I found the setting, I changed it to "Show the arriving format" and the picture was again sharp.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for managing to have a Zoom meeting with your former coworkers and a distanced meeting with your group. Staying human despite the virus.

curlyjax - Thanks for "There's more good than bad in the world, and that's what I focus on." Good notion to keep in mind.

Readers -
Quote:

Then I say, "Would any of you eat more red meat, fried foods, chips, ice cream, pizza, or sweets if there were no negative consequences - for your weight or health? If so, please sit down." Almost everyone else sits down at that point. In audiences of nearly 150 people, it turns out that only one or two people actually eat whatever they want, whenever they want, in whatever quantities they want.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #44  

We did get the phone issue resolved, hooray, although it was a long time in the phone store which made me nervous. At one point while we were waiting to be helped, the guy took his mask down, rubbed his nose and put it back up- ugh. I hope he used disinfectant before he helped us, I didn't notice. The whole issue was we couldn't remember the pin DS chose 4 years ago, which of course he never has to use, and then when they tried to send a security text, it didn't go thru. I don't know why they couldn't just email it or use security questions like other places do, but finally it is done!!
I'm going for a walk soon with a friend and have eaten breakfast so I won't be starving afterwards. And then afterwards today is a major clean up day, i've let things go again. I haven't done anything with the cooked chicken so need to use that while its still good. It's "sort thru the fridge day before dump run" so no doubt I will find some other treasures to be tossed or used.
Bill- yay for getting rid of clothes, good for you. You are saying goodbye to them and thanking them just like the Konmari method says to do Some of those old screen beauties seem like they were more of a normal size than the super thin models of today.
Maryann-yay for a productive day. I'm sure your mom is very grateful for your help. Nice to get a start on gifts for the year.
Karen-phone lines definitely work both ways, I don't like being the one that always has to reach out either. Great job on dry January, that's a good way to save some calories. I can barely motivate myself to do 20 minutes walk by myself, but walking with others definitely makes the time fly.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #45  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Appliance triumph yesterday. I inaugurated a two year old, six tray dehydrator to dry the pecans. I usually do this in the oven. Meanwhile, after tragically misgauging a salmon belly thaw (I had to throw them away), I looked into my new Freezer to Instant Pot cookbook and made ziti and sausage. Yummy. It took about 10 minutes and the farm sausage had been frozen. Fun! The food saver is next up. I am going to package the nuts and see how long they stay fresh. I'll make little packages with dates and then eat a package a month. Three cheers for scientific inquiry.

Weight is down - now one pound from ticker. This is no accident. I have intentionally added steps, vinegar, spices, nuts and groats to my meals and in between teas. I have bought a new cookbook SkinnyTaste meal prep for when I am cooking for the two of us again. Today in my last weekend before school starts (distant again), I am set to finish my 12 Steps in OA.

Gardenerjoy: I bought a bunch of fruity teas and also found I really enjoy them, especially with flavored vinegars such as blood orange and cranberry pear.
Karen: Reaching out with phone calls does often feel like elementary school Valentine's Day. There is a lot of keeping track. Funny. Guilt I have found is never the best reason to makes those calls. In the program we talk about "Intuitively knowing how to handle things that use to baffle us." I need to trust my intuition more and rely less on guilt.
BBE: You are on a toosing streak. Good for you. I made a round to Goodwill - a big bag of books and sweaters. They would not take bed pillows so I dumped three at the high school dumpster. They had put in their twenty five year duty and deserved a rest.
curleyjax: I feel good after a good clean. It also keeps me from over snacking during the day.
Closed Thread