Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:49 AM   #16  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

A couple of not so great days but back on track. Lots of exercise--yard work is definitely working on my muscles!

--Beth
Old 06-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Oldest Chinese recording of a solar eclipse (781 BC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the library just as school let out. What a zoo!!! It was wonderful. The place was hopping. I was standing only a few feet from a group of middle school girls who were all talking simultaneously. And talking seriously with judgement and daggers, e.g. "But I'm not feeling jealous, now." A father was tutoring his two sons, one operating the computer with the younger one commenting on the process each step. Zillions of books being checked out. One girl returned the bathroom key with a polite "Thank you" making me feel great that some kids are learning their manners. I picked up my reserved book and two movies and moved along. Hated to leave.

Eating wasn't so good. I feel into snacks. I suffered an hour and a half at the Department of Motor Vehicles for the simple task of renewing my driver's license. Long wait, but simple task even with the new regulations to be designated a Federal ID. I failed! Yep, I failed the eyesight color test. There were two shapes of the green-blue color and I designated one as green and one as blue. Can't believe that I did that. They only wanted to know if I could tell red from yellow from green. I was sent away with a form that I have to take to an ophthalmologist to state that I can see well enough to drive. My ophthalmologist makes appointments six months in advance; I only have a month. So my day today will be to find someone to fill out the form so I can go back and wait in line again. Bummer. But I think I don't have to take my picture again. The picture they took looked just awful - like I look in the bathroom mirror each morning, LOL. I told him it was perfect. "You can take one more and choose," he had said in the same mechanical voice he used for each memorized, oft repeated, statement. Did I mention that I hate the DMV?

Karen (karenrn) - Are you pursuing your PhD? What a great idea for a retired person. I didn't know that the Sierras were free of snow already.

curlyjax - When I was a kid, daytime television was dominated by As the World Turns. I was encouraged not to watch - only my grandmother watched. The plot, if there was one, didn't move from day to day - only the emotional voices of the characters.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Yay for yard work for muscle workout.

Penny. - Welcome home. Congrats for making such a fun long weekend for your kids.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 29 Resist Food Pushers

How to Say No

special advice to persistent food pushers

Most people will accept a simple, "no, thank you," and stop asking you to eat. but some people, as you may already know, will not.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 210.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I made cookies for DS bake sale and ate about 4, yikes. I felt really sick after. I froze two for the weekend and am going to tell DS to eat the extras or trash them.Before this I was off sugar for a week and i'm going to hop back on the no sugar train for another week.
I still can't stand up straight without pain and its sore where the injection was. I'm going to give it another few days and then check in with doc. Maybe i'm just one of those people that it doesn't work for.
Today i'm taking DD in to Boston for an appt so i decided to take the day off and have tomorrow off as well. I didn't make a dinner plan since I wasn't sure when I would be back so need to figure that out.
I am loving this beautiful cool weather, we are having a real spring this year!
Bill- DMV is indeed a trial! My DS is color blind but can differentiate stoplights fortunately. He is not the person to pick out a good banana however, he will come back with totally green ones!
Penny-glad you are back home and can get right back to it. Rational recovery sounds interesting.
Karen- I’m intrigued by the sound of an urge jar, I will look into that. Great job staying on plan two days.
Beth- always good to get back on track.

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-04-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #19  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down one of the five pounds gained.

Karen, credit for deciding against the drink. It probably prevented extra snacking too.

Beth, kudos for the yardwork and getting back on plan.

Bill, very cool to see the library hopping with activity. I need to get over there for my free summer reading program book. Sorry about the DMV hassle.

Curly, I kinda wish I would feel sick after four cookies. Even stuffing myself with french bread this weekend felt great. Gah! Credit for getting right back on the no sugar plan.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

My days feel busy, but really aren't. It's just a weird response to not really having a plan so I don't have a plan to implement so everything feels like it's equal priority. Or something like that. I'm not eating over it and I'm slowly moving in the direction of a plan so that my days can feel more normal to me.

Yesterday's awkwardness was a 5pm School Board meeting. Those are the ones they schedule, I suspect, in the hope that no one will show up to witness them. I showed up and was offered a sandwich! They had more than the board members would eat. But I had a plan -- a snack before the meeting and a big salad after. So, I said no to the sandwich and stuck to my plan -- CREDIT!

Exercise: +45, 125/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

A quick check in because I forgot to do it earlier. Food is on plan and weight is coming down. Hiked 7 1/2 miles and took Otis for a walk for exercise.

Bill I'm getting my PhD on how to manage my weight. PNP is Phit n Phat and there is a gal who is helping us stay focused and do the assignments. I swore when I finished my Master's in Cardiovascular Nursing that I would never do school that had assignments again. That has been many years and I'm able to follow through on it.

Take care everybody.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:17 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday -Ada Lovelace (future 1st computer programmer) meets Charles Babbage (1833)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Successfully got an appointment to get a certified ophthalmologist to state that I can see so that I can renew my driver's license. It's only two weeks into the future - rather short time into the future for the eye doctor where I go. Still smarting that I failed an eye exam at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Eating wasn't perfect; I had all of my scheduled snacks. I schedule snacks fully expecting to skip them - a type of double bookkeeping that seems to usually work for me. Dinner was grilled white fish, presumably sustainable from Whole Foods fish market. DW bought some organic blueberries; she's more concerned about pesticides than I am. I'm not particularly convinced that the 'organic' means that the fruit is really different.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for turning down a FREE School Board sandwich. I agree, 5pm is an awkward time to start a meeting.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you've demonstrated to yourself that you can still do assignments.

curlyjax - Hope you and that shot come to terms with each other. Getting rid of those cookies is a great idea.

Penny. - Nice to drop one of your pounds so quickly.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Say No

To prepare your response to persistent food pushers, think of a good role model, someone you know who is nicely assertive about his or her needs. (If no one comes to mind, think of a celebrity you know about.) What would he or she say if in your situation?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #23  

I failed miserably in getting back on track. Unpleasant behavior from DD much of the day, tired, sitting in rush hour traffic, worrying about car and availibility of junk food meant bad eating day all around. The treats are finally gone except for one frozen one.
Today I am seeing a financial advisor - an independent guy who I trust- and hopefully getting my old dented car back. The good news is insurance is giving me a good chunk of money while calling it totaled so I'm hopeful I can fix it and have it run for another year. The bad news is they need my title and I couldn't find it last night. I hope its in the safe deposit box. Yet another reason I need to get my paperwork more organized!
I don't have a great eating plan for this busy day on the run but will start with a good breakfast anyhow.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

I'm still wandering around plan-less. Although, I manage to come up with a to-do list each day, so I haven't completely turned into a different person. For the moment, I'm embracing that there might be other ways to live. At least, for a few days. I imagine I'll get myself set up with plans for the rest of the year, the rest of the month, and the rest of the week at some point in the next day or two.

Part of the distraction is doodling. I checked out some children's books from the library a month or so ago. My skills are improving rapidly and I'm finding it a little addictive. Mostly it's been taking time from other addictive activities that are less desirable than doodling. But it seems to have consumed my planning time in the last few days. I'm keeping an open mind that it might be a good thing.

Here's my Beck-style list of advantages for doodling most days:
  • Relaxation
  • Fun
  • Improved skill
  • Development of an observation habit -- notice more, appreciate more
  • Creative expression
  • Identification of what's authentic for me

Exercise: +45, 165/1100 minutes for June

curlyjax: Hope you find your title. We keep ours in the safe deposit box, so I think you'll have some luck there.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #25  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up La Vie En Rose

Coaches, Hello!

I am happy to report a solid re-start on June 1st. I have a six-month one-day-at-a-time plan. Big Credit for plans and being on them.

I am well into my busy season now. Both of my farmers' markets have started. So that's a Saturday/Sunday commitment from now until the end of October at both markets. They do know that during the very short season that there are some weekends where I am off doing other shows as they are one-off festivals, which is good and necessary for my artist career. In addition I am trying a new teaching venue at my maker space. Not sure how that will work but I try. I just keep trying. I have had lots of dark nights of the soul regarding my artwork and whether I toil in obscurity and for what? (I ask myself) but I never get a better answer as to what else I would do. I am just starting to feel old and like the runway is getting shorter so to speak. I look to the example of the potters I know, well past 70, and their daily habits of throwing on the wheel and hauling heavy clay etc. Painters also in their 70's 80's and more. Art keeps you vibrant and makes life interesting.

In trying to come up with strategies to do things other than eat, I have been in a women's yoga class for a few months. Yoga kicks my a**. OMG so tough. But good. While I can do most postures my transitions from one pose to the other are awkward and require conscious thought (put foot here arm here move like that). I don't remember that part of yoga when I was a daily devotee in my teenage years. At 290lbs standing on one foot is tough on the weight-bearing ankle. And the vast fleshy tummy precludes bringing your head to your knees in any bend but whenever I start to feel self-conscious I think who cares? Yoga is about doing what you can. And I have seen progress. So credit for going. I also have a yoga buddy with whom I have made a pact to take classes with, so this will continue.

In addition I took a ukulele class. but I had to admit I was a SENIOR argh. I squeaked in as the definition of senior (age 55) for the town's continuing education classes. Ukulele was not offered to regular adults only seniors and at the seniors centre. Wow. It was the first time I was asked if I was retired. I said No. I'm an artist. I don't really know how that explains that but artists never retire in my mind. Anyway music is something that has been foreign to me. I can be without music and it isn't an issue. But there are all these studies about music being good for the brain and it is a whole other activity I have never tried and the ukulele is so approachable. So I started and I didn't really get hooked on it until last week. Somehow, some way, that magical thing happened when all of a sudden you have somehow learned something. All of a sudden my fingers knew what to do, how to make the chords, how to strum, and I wanted to go faster. Also I had no problem singing out loud to the songs we played, which I have never done with strangers or even with family other than DH. Something just loosened up in me and it was glorious. I was over the moon when the Intermediate group practiced their songs. We beginners were in the same room and they practiced La Vie En Rose. I don't think you have lived until you have heard 8 people play in unison on the ukulele and sing La Vie En Rose. It is life affirming I tell ya! I'm inserting a couple of links to two versions of the song.

Today was uke class but it's cancelled. I now get to spend the day carving my 30" x 40" piece of 1/8" Russian Birch for a, get this, steam-powered steamroller printmaking event on Saturday. It's a super tight deadline and I just settled on my design so today I begin to remove the material. Wish me luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJzYAda1wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCxm9kwO98

Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #26  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is now down three of the five gained.

We've been finishing up scraps from the fridge but it's time to shop and get some meal plan food made.

Karen, credit for staying on plan and the weight coming down!

Curly, sorry about the stressful day. I'm glad the insurance company is going to give you a reasonable amount.

Bill, it's Wednesday so I'm guessing it's DGD day. Have a fun day!

Onebyone, love the Louie Armstrong and Uke version videos. I looked for drum circle meetings in my area without success. Maybe I should look for a ukulele class! It sounds so fun.

Joy, I love reading how you process your thinking and plans. Credit for starting a new doodling hobby.

Last edited by Penny.; 06-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I disappeared for a few days just as my weight tipped over into the seventies but today it is back below. The end of school was a**-kicking but now with three days left I have most things packed up. The last big hurdle is Sunsplash waterpark with 8thgraders tomorrow. I have much anxiety for many reasons. Lots of kids; no ability to bring my own food in; student behavior; too much sun. The list goes on. Mostly I am afriad that I will go back over the decade edge. This morning I will make a list of strategies for tomorrow while not losing site of today.

After I saw 170 on the scale, I became serious. I restarted Beck determined to look at things from a new perspective. I wrote new cards and I researched two new diets. I have been choosing the same food plans for years now. Well, my body is not the same it was years ago. I now have my two new plans. Day 4 is to give myself credit. I found a very simple app called Habit List. I have set my goal for "self credit" at 10. I have already checked off two for finding the app and posting here. Also in the app is advantage cards and water. I do not expect to keep tracking for a lifetime but " just for today." All sorts of studies say it is important to change things up in habits. Even in muscle building, it is important to change exercises for each group to work them in new ways. So I am exercising my food habits in different ways.

Wave to all. See you on the otherside of Thursday.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #28  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but weight stayed the same. I know I won't lose everyday, but I sure wish it would be that way. I overslept a little and didn't get to the trailhead to hike Bell Pass until 5:30. The sun hitting my face for a short bit made me think I need to get out the door a little earlier. The gate to the trailhead opens at 4:49 right now. I got home and took Otis for a walk and he'll be going to the groomers at noon. I'm feeling very motivated with dieting right now. I felt a little hungry on the way home from my hike and thought about a snack, but by the time I got home it passed. I know I will lose better if I cut out snacks for the most part. I keep telling myself that backpacking will be easier the less weight I have to carry as long as I retain my muscle. People even cut off the handles of their toothbrushes to cut their pack weight. I do try to keep the pack as light as possible, but losing some body weight sounds easier than cutting five pounds from my pack at this point.

Penny That five pounds will be gone in no time at this rate.
Onebyone Good to hear how you're doing. So busy with your art as usual. I turned Edith Piaf on after listening links you provided.
GardenerJoy Another one for your list is that you can't eat while doodling.
Curlyjax Glad to hear you can keep the car. I hope you are able to get it fixed for a decent price.
Bill I kind of agree with you on the organic produce . . . so does my husband and he's a produce broker.

My sister in law just sent a text to ask if they can come down from 11/21 thru 12/3. That's the third booking for fall . . holy moly. Time to get cleaned up and get on with the day.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - D-Day (1944, beaches of Normandy, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. A week ago she got a small fracture in her collar bone by falling off a stool. She was wearing a sling that held her arm down with lots of Velcro so that she couldn't raise it up. She didn't have a brace because it wasn't broken in need of being held together to heal. It just needed a little TLC to heal. We spent the day trying to find ways to keep an active, constant mind constrained. Somewhat successfully. Took her to a one-hour children's reading session at a local bookstore. She yelled out the answers, e.g. "Blue", "Whale", "No legs" - at the low end of her interest level. We took her back to the zoo thinking it was passive enough. She, however, discovered their playground so that thirty minutes were spent climbing and sliding down. But she didn't bump her arm into anything. Good enough.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, because I don't have access to snacks when we're with her. To calm down, DW and I watched a DVD of the BBC movie Earth: One Amazing Day narrated by Robert Redford. No plot other than it's the only planet we have. But about the most amazing videos I've ever seen. Would recommend when you need a ninety minute calming down. (It doesn't lecture that we're destroying the place - just reminds us that it's unique.)

onebyone - Wow! Yoga, full market schedule, ukulele, even a steam roller printing event. You so manage to stay over-the-top busy. Celebrate with you your one-day-at-a-time plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Had never thought of so many advantages to doodling. Have you considered publishing a children's book?

maryann - Shuddering at the thought of 8th-graders at a water park. What could go wrong? Good luck with the notion of shaking up your habits.

Karen (karenrn) - Good grief! - three bookings for the fall already. You should consider setting up a B&B, LOL.

curlyjax - Neat to have a financial advisor that you trust. Good luck finding that title.

Penny. - I love meals that are obviously constructed from "scraps from the fridge."

Readers -
Quote:

How to Say No

The dialog would probably go something like this:
Persistent food pusher: have a piece of birthday cake.
Role model: Thank you, but no.
Persistent food pusher: but it's my birthday! You have to have a peice!
Role model: I know, and the cake looks so good, but I really have to say no.
Persistent food pusher: Oh, come on. A little taste won't hurt.
Role model: No, really no, thank you anyway.
Persistent food pusher: You're hurting my feelings.
Role model: I'm not turning down the cake to make you feel bad. I just don't want any right now.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #30  

Not a successful eating day-among other things, free cookie at paneras that expires soon! oh geez-but quite successful in getting things done. I found the car title thank goodness and freed my car. They reattached the bumper so it actually looks a lot better and might even pass inspection as it, but i'm going to get it fixed because it sounds like shock absorbing qualities of it have been affected.I don't care what it looks like, I just want it to be safe. I was very impressed with the professionalism of an insurance rep who dealt with an exhausting customer right before my turn, and I told him he had the patience of a saint!
And had a very good meeting with financial advisor. I am spending way more money than is coming in so I will be looking for a full time job soon. But I feel okay because I do have some money I can draw on for now if needed. I think i may hire him to help maximize my investments for a once a year check in and big picture thing. however its time to clamp down on the spending.
Onebyone- good to see you! Ukulele sounds very fun!
Gardenerjoy- doodling sounds very relaxing.
Maryann- good luck with that waterpark! Sounds very exhausting. I remember chaperoning girl scouts for events and how tired i would feel afterwards.
Penny-wow, that was quick with your weight back on track, great job!
Karen-great job dealing with hunger. Cutting off part of a toothbrush, wow. I would go with the weight loss part too.Some things you just can't cut out- like TP!
​​​​​​​Bill- getting a 3 year old to stay still would be quite the task!
Closed Thread