Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #76  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I woke up extra early today so just might need a short nap. I did get out and hike when the gate opened before 5. I did the shorter Sunrise hike again today because I needed to leave the house before 8. I met with some other gals in the area that are doing the Phit n Phat diet.
They were all new to me, but very nice and it was fun to get together. Later today I have a meet-up to listen to a guy about my age who yoyo'd the Arizona Trail, which means hiked it south to north and then turned around and did it the other way. It's a 800 mile trail that runs from Mexico to Utah including through the Grand Canyon.

Penny You are doing a darn good job of staying on plan.
Bill I've also had to find a way to contact Amazon and it isn't easy. They aren't the only ones that make it almost impossible to get through to them. Where there's a will there is a way.
Maryann Yes, four hours is a lot more than I could take. I find the 90 minute lecture classes I'm attending is about the outside of my attention span. What new plan are you going to follow?
GardenerJoy A big salad sounds great. I do pretty well making a side salad for dinner and must start thinking about having things easy to fix a lunch salad.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Father's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was walking about a Fair held at the reservation holding our local water supply. The (3.5 yo) DGD joined us so part of my exercise was carrying her when she got "tired" - most likely because her mommy was there and she had some 'ThreeTeen' interaction to work out. Was great to watch her take very seriously the job of finding out the answers to four questions about the animals at the show-and-tell animal table so that she could get a badge as a Junior Ranger. When she decides to focus, she's a laser.

Eating was thwarted a bit because I found the donut holes in the back room for those in the know. I rarely get donut holes - for good reason. They have just the same nutrition value of donuts with the charm of being so small that popping one couldn't be a problem. Since that wasn't a problem, the popping a second wouldn't be a problem either. I need to read today's quote.

Karen (karenrn) - Naps are the best invention since we were two years old. YOYOing a 800 mile hike is quite a feat. I'm only jealous of the Grand Canyon part of the trip.

Penny. - Yay for weight holding. Good tip to check with the neighbors for my "delivered" book.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Plan to Eat Out

Here's what you should do to get ready: . . .
  • Anticipate the sabotaging thoughts you might have. You might think, for example, It's okay to eat more than I've planned because ... everyone else is eating a lot/I really get to eat these foods/it won't hurt/I can start again tomorrow/I should eat more to get my money's worth. Make Response Cards to read before you go and bring them with you in case you need them. Make sure to review and bring along your Advantages Response Card, too.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 214.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had a few days off posting due to early morning activity. Friday I went to a workshop that was a good hour away, but I was able to carpool with a colleague. I didn't learn much, but it is always fun to get out of the office. I fell asleep on the way home which was embarassing but she didn't mind. Saturday I got up early to take DS to high school to help out with something, then a few hours later we went to check out a college, Umass Lowell. There is a river in the middle of the campus and you can kayak/canoe, which is really cool!
I am meeting a friend for brunch/coffee today and will have a salad. I've been getting into the sweets again. This week will be a challenge since DS is out helping at a camp from 5-8pm every night, so I don't know how or what he is going to eat.
The cortisone shot must have finally kicked in. It is so nice to be in much less pain. However i'm not going to get another one, it wasn't worth the 2 weeks of pain.And I am definitely going to get my hip done, probably next summer.
Karen- naps are the best! Glad you are meeting some new folks, I know the summer is more lonely for you.
Penny- Hope your tailbone is doing better, that sounds very painful!
Bill- glad you got to spend more time with DGD. Donut holes are indeed evil!
Have to run, wave to everyone else.

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-16-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #79  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. Unless I take the calories back down, maintenance it is.

Today I have to meal prep, and dh has some errands he needs driven around for before a work trip this week.

Karen, I finally checked out the Phit n Phat podcast. Pretty good!

Bill, happy Father's Day to you! Mmmm doughnut holes.

Curly, how wonderful the hip is feeling better!
Old 06-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #80  
Green Tomatoes

I promised myself on Monday that I was going to complete my morning routine (including my daily 3FC Beck post) every day for a week to stop the bad habit of skipping it on weekends. And, then, I skipped it yesterday. But, not today. So that’s a 50% success rate and something to build on.

Exercise: +30, 515/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #81  

Good morning coaches,

Food totally on plan and I feel quite proud of myself. I had an urge to have my White Claw drink which is a low calorie alcoholic drink, but I reminded myself if I just drank something else it would pass. Sure enough it did. I really need to remember that. It's just at the happy hour time of the day that I feel I should have it, even justify it because it has fewer calories than beer. I did go to the Arizona Trail presentation yesterday. I met the presenter once before at the Arizona Trail annual meeting and remember feeling like he's kind of a name dropping bag of wind and he confirmed it again. Apparently he knows Bear Grylls and has to drop that name as well as a tv producer for adventure shows (whose name I don't remember) every chance he gets, or at least he's two for two in the times I've seen him. I did enjoy the pictures of his hike, hearing about the trail angels in different areas and learning about the difficulty with water. I've been out to hike Bell Pass this morning even after waking up at 2:30 a.m. I listened to a book called Eat Fat, Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman. I do agree about much of what he says, mainly that sugar is the culprit, not most fats. I need to listen to the rest of it and do a little further research. We try to lean towards the Mediterranean type diet, but not well enough. I think I'll try to get us a little better focused that way, not so much for weight loss, but for health.

GardenerJoy My morning routine is getting longer and longer, I'm hoping if I stick with it better I will see results.
Penny I hope you don't need to go back to 900 calories, that just sounds horrible. Not all Phit n Phat podcasts are created equal, some I just don't listen to and some I do. Mainly as with anything I take the good and forget the bad. I think a lot of her stuff meshes well with Beck, just different wording.
Curlyjax I'm so glad your hip is feeling better. When I was back in Boston once I took a drive up to Lowell to see a quilt museum. It's been years ago, but I know I enjoyed it.
Bill Sounds like you got both lower and an upper body workout. Carrying children is hard work as they get bigger. Happy Father's Day to you!

I hope you all enjoy the day, I had better get a plan made so I know what I'm doing the rest of the day.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Safe and sound back in California. DS and I are both beat from the five different time changes in a week. I don't know how professional travelers do it. My "to do" list is a mile long but I know I have nothing but time now. My brain knows it but my nervous system doesn't. It still thinks I have to go to school tomorrow. So I will count on one of my favorite phrases "First things first." Church is done. I bought milk for DS' cereal this morning and while at the drugstore I made a framed photo magnet of DS sitting with the statue of Neil Armstrong at Purdue. That will be DH father's day gift when he gets home from a trip tonite. I started a load of laundry and have gathered my books around me. I made a committed to get something going with my food plan. Ready, Set, Plan.

I am officially on the second week of Beck Restart which means I need to find time for dieting. That will not be a problem for the next two months. I have nothing but time. I will need that time to read my new food plan Volumetrics. My back-up plan is a 28 day version of the Mediterranean diet. Both books arrived in the mail while I was gone. Neither are earth shaking but maybe I will hear something in a new way or find a few new tricks. For instance, in the first chapter of Volumetrics, she discusses how many calories I can eat to lose weight. I have heard this over and over again. But the chart shows that I can only eat 1300 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. That is true if I walk 10,000 steps a day. Wow!!!! This is what I think Penny has been hinting at. 1300 calories for just one pound a week. And I never stay under 1300 calories. I am always just slightly over if not way over. I want to take today to sit with this because I need it to sink in. I am in serious denial. These are my mind's sabotaging thoughts: 1300 calories sounds like an extreme diet. 1300 calories is one meal at many restaurants. I usually eat 500 calories at breakfast which is closing in on over half my food allowance. It doesn't feel like it will be enough.

Here is my rebuttal to sabotaging thoughts: You don't know if 1300 calories will be enough because you never eat that little. It might be completely satisfying if you allow yourself to be just full and not overfull. 1300 calories of nutritious food may be plenty but you if half of those calories are not empty sugar. You watch your son eat less than you and he never seems short of energy.

I have one more week to get my mind set. I have another week of Beck prep. But I have set goals of 1 pound a week in my iphone calendar. Each Sunday has a new goal weight. My mind thinks "who couldn't lose one pound a week?" But again, I remind myself "1 pound a week is an outrageously bold plan for me which will take all of my skills and courage." If I follow the plan, I will reach goal on October 6.

Gardenerjoy: Great way to talk down your perfectionism. A 50% improvement is indeed a success.
Penny: I am joining you hopping from the maintenance wagon to the losing train
BBE: Yikes for stray snacks at events.
KarenRN: Super credit for your discipline in getting up early to hike. My book talks about experts disagreeing about the roll of exercise in losing weight. Some say it is counterproductive because it makes people hungrier. It is only logical, though, that doing something you love adds to your overall health. Also, the book says studies show the reduction of anxiety and the lifting of mood can not be understated in terms of importance. I can't imagine life without exercise.

Last edited by maryann; 06-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Statue of Liberty arrives in NYC aboard French ship `Isere' (1885)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a rainy Father's Day. I enjoyed greetings from both of my kids, so felt the day went well. DW had an open house in our tiny garden for folks from her garden club. Despite the rain, they showed up. And stood in the rain discussing each plant with DW and with each other. One told me that he might as well be here since he couldn't work his own garden in the rain. They ate little of the food and wine that DW offered. They looked at plants; asked questions - often of each other - and showed pictures of plants on their cell phones to each other. All conducted in Latin, of course.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. I had more snacks than planned during community hour at noon and then nibbled on the stuff that DW put out that the gardeners were ignoring. Amazon delivered the book that I'd ordered to replace the one that never arrived. Just another day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for keeping statistics of your success rate. A micro version of Big Data.

maryann - Welcome to Don't-go-to-School-Day. Neat to remember that Purdue celebrates Neil Armstrong.

Karen (karenrn) - It seems that many folks that make it on the speaker circuit are name droppers. Kudos for an early morning hike on Bell Pass.

curlyjax - Love the notion of the river that runs through the UMass Lowell campus. Lowell was once such an important part of the Massachusetts economy with its mills where zillions of immigrants found jobs.

Penny. - Perhaps you're ready for maintenance. Kudos for being aware that pushing too far isn't a good idea.

Readers -
Quote:

Plan to Eat Out

• Plan how you'll tolerate cravings. What can you say to yourself? What can you do? Review Day 13 to remind yourself of the mindset and behavioral techniques you can use. For example, if you start craving, you might need to distance yourself from the food by taking a short walk through the restaurant, by going outside, or by going to the restroom to read your Response Cards.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 214.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #84  

I had a lovely brunch with my friend and did have salad. It was so nice to catch up, and made me feel better to know I’m not the only one struggling with family stuff. Her husband is somewhat disabled so she is feels partnerless too. We have made plans to hit the beach at some point. And she felt better when I showed her the photos of my incredibly messy house.
I found some chocolate mints DD forgot about in her stuff- I was helping her find some important papers-and have been getting into it. I know we’re supposed to have plans for temptations but it’s a lot easier when they aren’t in your house.
Penny- maintenance sounds good to me. Ugh, I hate meal prep but it does mean continued success.
Karen- I have been to that quilt museum too and it is great. “Name dropping bag of wind”- I love it! The AMC has occasional similar talks here but unfortunately they are on Wednesdays which is choir day.
Maryann-Is DS leaning towards any particular school? You guys covered a lot of ground!
Gardenerjoy-good job posting!
Beth- wave to you, hope all is okay.
Bill- those gardeners are dedicated! Nice you can enjoy the benefits without the work

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-17-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #85  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Dh is gone for the week, for a work trip, training away his relevancy, he fears.

I got all but one recipe of the meal plan prepped and the fridge is bursting with food. I double everything and sometimes the quantities surprise me. I ended up with a half gallon of vegan ranch dressing. Haha! Oops.

Karen, now I'm curious about that drink. Maybe the phit n phat podcast will motivate me to hunker down for the last bit of weightloss.

Joy, hi! I hope you succeed in your posting goal.

Bill, garden club sounds fun. Your dw must have a beautiful garden.

Maryann, it's always so nice to get back home after a trip. Good luck with the volumetrics plan. I've read some people having success with it here on 3fc.

Curly, kudos for staying on plan with the lunch out. A beach trip with a friend will be fabulous!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #86  

Good morning coaches,

I got out for my early morning hike and then came home and took Otis for a walk. I saw a rattlesnake on my way down the hill. I was glad to see him before I stepped on him. He was slowly slithering across the trail, so of course I just waited until he got by. He was maybe 3 feet long, but not very big around. He did make a nasty face at me though along with his nasty noises. I stayed perfectly on plan over the weekend so I continue to feel proud of myself. I was listening to a podcast and a book while hiking, but I still daydream. I was thinking, "Wow, I wonder what it would be like if I quite going off plan and gaining three pounds or so and then have to lose it again. I wonder how many pounds I've lost in the last 6 months?" Well the answer is Lord only knows, but I'm going to try to stay on track and not have a day where I am not following any plan at all.

Penny There are a bunch of drinks like that. One of them is Truly, another is the White Claw. They are like fruit seltzer with maybe vodka or something in them. Not sweet but they are refreshing. Seem like a summer drink to me.
Curlyjax Yes, when it gets down to it most people are going through something. We just don't know it unless we really sit down and have a good talk. It always helps not to feel as if we are alone.
Bill I'm glad you had a nice Father's Day and that the garden open house was well attended in spite of the rain.
Maryann Enjoy your day. Are you rested up from your travel? As far as exercise and diet goes, I pretty much don't do it to lose weight anymore, but I feel so much better when I exercise. It allows me time to think and reduces stress. It may not be so much for weight loss, but it is so good for my health. I know it is a luxury to have as much time for it as I do and I appreciate that. The other thing is that if I don't do it I won't be fit enough to do the backpacking that I so enjoy.

I was listening to Eat Fat, Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman on my walk yesterday and today. It's interesting but too restrictive for me. I'm not listening to it as a way of losing weight, but just wanting to eat as healthfully as possible for both myself and my husband. I've taken away a few things and I guess that's about all I expect from most books.

You all have a great start to the week!

Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #87  
Green Tomatoes

I'm waiting out a thunderstorm so that I don't have to drive in the rain for a trip up to Whole Foods. Our Whole Foods recently renovated their prepared food section -- it's now called a Food Hall (like Harrods of London, but without the fancy tile work). So here's my reminder about that -- the pizza is less good than it used to be and the salad bar is better. So, when I eat lunch at Whole Foods, which I probably will given the late start, it's a salad. Ignore the pizza because it isn't very good anyway.

Exercise: +40, 555/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Spent the morning just building a “to do” list. It is a luxury to not have to finish it in one or two free days.

I calendarized the summer and am excited about the many short trips. Mostly girl weekends. I said no to a trip back east to visit sister. Too much. Included is a week in Tahoe to get some boot camp hiking in.

Today I will continue through Beck Day 9 and more of the Volumetrics book. Scale dropped so a I am already at next week’s goal. I’ll take it. If I get a couple of weeks ahead I’ll be able to tolerate the weird weeks when I lose nothing.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Susan B. Anthony fined $100 for voting for US President (1873)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the library where I picked up The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking. Maybe I can finally come to understand it. School had just let out so the place was happy chaotic. The eighth graders had graduated; was so neat to see a circle of them in the middle of the ball field sitting on the grass in their maroon graduation robes. Kids can always reduce a situation to the proper level.

Dinner with another couple at a neat restaurant, Oleana. Our waitperson had a tattoo on her arm of the Alpha acid molecule - since it's what gives hops its bitter flavor in making beer. Gotta love that chemistry isn't restricted to researchers in the labs. I made a few good choices, CREDIT moi, namely leaving the last piece of bread in the basket despite the olive oil looking so tempting (Greek, from Kalamata olives). And I left all the crispy potatoes in my dish on the plate. And I gave away more of my plate than I took from the others. However, I ate too much just by eating the remainder of my serving. Ouch. I did cajole folks not to order desserts. Well, almost. The folks who invited us insisted on one dessert for all to share so we'd leave with a sweet taste. So, only had a few bites of Almond Cremolata - like a Greek custard. Methinks that I need to get out to good restaurants more often so I won't treat it as if it were an only chance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL that Whole Foods now has a Food Hall like Harrods of London. Will have to see if that makes it to our local Whole Foods. Kudos for planning to stick to the salad rather than the pizza.

maryann - Yay for a summer off where you can stretch out your to-do list.

Karen (karenrn) - Congratulations for so calmly dealing with a rattlesnake - not the fauna we encounter around here. Kudos for "not have a day where I am not following any plan at all."

curlyjax - Yep, it's much easier when the temptations aren't even in the house.

Penny. - I'm always surprised at how many situations call for ranch dressing. It's not a staple in our house.

Readers -
Quote:

Plan to Eat Out

• When your food arrives, portion off the food you can eat. Immediately push the extra food not on your food plan to one side of your plate. Or put it on your bread plate, if you prefer.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 215.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #90  

My favorite 94 year old gave me some cookies she baked yesterday- how could i say no? well i could, but i didn't. Clearly I need to get back to motivation mode. I should probably write out a plan for 2 weeks. i need to make my hunger reducing bread again, it was filling and did help. And of course avoid sugar.
Yesterday DD started clearing our her room which is a huge mess, and I had to clear out some of the mess in the living room to accomodate, so that was actually helpful. I'm behind in putting away the winter clothes, partly because where i put them is crowded and a mess too. Clearly a lot needs to be done! Baby steps.
Penny-that is indeed a lot of dressing! 'training away his relevancy' - oh dear.
Karen- yikes, rattlesnakes! I know what you mean, I have definitely lost and gained the same 5 pounds many times.
Joy- a Whole Foods food hall, wow. Wegmans has something like that but probably not as fancy. It's a fun outing but I do have to watch myself!
Maryann- girl weekends are the best!
Bill-that restaurant looks fabulous. And places like that often serve small amounts of food (for a lot of money) so there you go!

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-18-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Closed Thread