Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 8 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Summer Solstice

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to accomplish a list of eight things on one trip. So many that I had to make a list. The greatest achievement was getting my eye doctor to sign the form that says that I'm not color blind so that I can get my driver's license renewed. Think that I mentioned here a month ago that I failed the color test at the Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles. The good doctor scorned that after giving me a test. Then gave me a second test to be certain. Now, I have to get back in line at the Mass RMV with my signed form in hand. I'll bring a book.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including lunch with friends from work. Stories of how things happened get better every year. I substituted a green salad for the fried onion rings. That's a big deal because I just adore fried onion rings. I left the bottom half of the bun of my pulled pork sandwich as an offering to the gods since the pulled pork had enough calories without any helpers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at the Sabotaging Thought that a little treat will fill a little slot of time.

maryann - Congrats for putting up with the horrible, awful, debilitating, demoralizing, infuriating, task of going to a clothing store to buy clothing. When I get to heaven I'm only going to hang out in the nudist section.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for the tip to watch Restless Kiwi - Day 77 - she's one upbeat hiker, she is. And she's doing this when there's still snow on the ground.

curlyjax - Super Kudos for ignoring the dessert at Wegmans - that store is so tempting.

Penny. - LOL that your son only tolerated his sling for three days. Was probably healed anyway.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Plan to Eat Out

The more you practice eating out, the easier it'll be. If not this time, eventually you'll leave a restaurant or event and say to yourself, I'm so glad I didn't overeat. When I told this to dieters I've worked with, most didn't believe me at first, saying "I can't imagine that happening . I think I'll always feel deprived." But they do get to this point. They feel good for remaining in control.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 215.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #107  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is back up to where it has been holding, because of coarse!

My work weekend is upon me and dh returns home from his work trip today.

Maryann, credit for sticking to plan. I'm glad the app is helping.

Bill, eight errands by foot and a mindful eating day sounds like a win. Credit!
Old 06-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #108  
Green Tomatoes

I successfully followed my plan during yesterday's busy day -- CREDIT. That included ignoring the mild hunger that arrived as I came home from a meeting at 9pm. I worry that hunger will keep me from sleeping. My experience, however, says the opposite. Eating late at night disturbs my sleep. The hunger disappeared during my normal bedtime activities, so I didn't go to bed hungry, after all.

Two-thirds of the way through the month and I'm just shy of two-thirds of the way to my exercise goal.

Exercise: +40, 715/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #109  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just back from hiking Bell Pass and taking Otis for a short walk. Yesterday food was on plan and weight trending down. I planned for a couple of snacks yesterday and ate them. I know I could probably take my portions down a bit. I do give myself credit though for no alcohol in a week and no sweets. Actually I've been eating really healthy and feeling good. I'm stressing a bit about my upcoming plans for backpacking. So much will be happening the next few weeks as far as the snow melting and how high the creek crossings will be. I don't have to make a decision on the JMT portion until just before 7/15 when I will mail my resupply food bucket. Then the next hike the High Sierra Trail starts 8/31. There is a very short section of the trail that slid out and there will have to be some kind of work around to get over that piece. I'll be keeping my eye on that as well. The Sierra won't be going anywhere, so it isn't as if I can't go another time when it isn't such a huge snow year, but I ain't getting any younger. It is out of my control though. If I were my dh I would compartmentalize so much easier and not worry about it. Early this afternoon I'm going to see Echo in the Canyon. It's about the beginnings of the Laurel Canyon music scene which I don't know about, but apparently it was groups like The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield and the Mommas & the Papas who started it and I know all of them. I'm also going to see 5B in the next few days. It's about a ward of San Francisco General Hospital that was designed to deal with AIDS patients. My cousin Jean's friend, Alison Moed Palarceo was the nurse in charge of the unit and Jean told me about the movie. It's highly rated and just started playing here.

GardenerJoy It always amazes me that I can be hungry and then it mysteriously disappears without eating. I do remember from previous posts that when you eat a little too much you don't sleep as well
Penny Of course is right, our bodies just always do what we want for sure.
Bill Yes, Restless Kiwi is very upbeat and also very smart and strong. The PCT hikers have to leave at a certain time of the year to ensure that they get to Washington before it is snowing there. Unfortunately this year the Sierra had a very high snow year. Many of them are flip flopping by going thru the desert and then skipping over the Sierra and going back to do it later. The section Restless Kiwi did on day 77 was a part of the section a friend and I did a couple of years ago. At time there was no snow on it. I'm amazed you were able to take care of 8 errands on one walk.
Maryann Weight down is great. I'm glad the current meds are working well and hopefully will for years to come.

Okay, I'd better get my food plan and planning done for the day. Happy Friday everybody!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good day yesterday. I continue to use my RR mindful eating app and have recognized that I am very uneasy at meals. If I wait until I am truly hungry I become irrational (even though I cover up the feeling well.) Lightbulb. Of course diets will fail then because I need to be at least slightly hungry to eat.

This morning I practiced talking myself through this feeling. I was out of eggs for my breakfast so by the time I went to the store I was hungrier than normal. I calmed myself and ate half of breakfast. I then stopped to do prayer and meditation. By the time I came back to the last half, I felt less ravenous. I also found I don’t chew my food enough when I am hungry making things worse. These are things I can work on.

Credit for continuing to use Habit Tracker for practicing sitting while eating, giving myself credit, and reading advantage cards. The only thing missing yesterday was formal exercise but I did give the living room and two and a half hour deep cleaning.

DS senior portraits were great. I really enjoyed going with him. I remember thinking about the day when he was just a baby and then it was here.

More “to do” list items today and they continue to be pleasant because I can do them leisurely.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-21-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Galileo Galilei recants his views that the Earth orbits the Sun (1633)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - An evening bird walk, CREDIT moi, to celebrate Summer Solstice. Was exciting to see a Ruby-throated Hummingbird - our only kind. (I know, I know, in Arizona there are dozens of species of hummingbirds. On my Bucket List). I did get to the Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles to pass the paperwork for my driver's license renewal. It's the new approved Federal ID version so that it can be used to board an airplane. The wait in line was tolerable.

Eating was OKish. Only OK because I had my full complement of snacks. I'm having to buy snacks for some houseguest arriving at the end of the week. I'll have to face stuff that I usually avoid by simply not having it about. Will be a challenge.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for working it out that you didn't snack and didn't go to bed hungry.

maryann - Two and a half hours is a deep clean, indeed. Kudos for continuing to observe your own hunger feelings.

Karen (karenrn) - Your movie 5B looks interesting - will have to add that to our list. Good luck figuring out how to deal with all that snow in the Sierras.

Penny. - Neat planning that your DH makes it home from afar just in time for your work weekend.

Readers -
Quote:

Plan to Eat Out
tip!
If you dine out without overeating, give yourself lots of credit. But don't undo your good eating when you get home. Some dieters tell themselves, I was so good ... Now I deserve to treat myself, and then eat an unplanned snack. Of course, it's fine to plan in advance to eat something when you get home. I purposely avoid eating dessert when I'm out because I look forward to my evening snack every night. If I've already eaten dessert, I won't be able to have that snack.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I took an over the counter sleeping aid last night and slept until 8:00, it was wonderful. I haven't been sleeping well so occasionally it's worth doing. I have not been doing well with sweets, there were oreos and work yesterday and I was tired and bored, and indulged. Plus we have homemade brownies at home since DD has been craving some. They are almost gone.
This week was my wedding anniversary, would have been 21. I was quite weepy at times but did not eat over it.
Today I have a lot of house stuff to do, and then I'm going to Waterfire in Providence with my man friend. It's a really cool event where they light about 80 bushels of fire in the river/s that run thru Providence, and there are street vendors and music, and you just wander around. Providence is much smaller than Boston and about an hour away. My friend has never been but was quite interested in going (and will drive, yay!) and the weather looks great. An advantage to living here, there is lots to do in many of the surrounding towns and cities.

Bill-great you saw a hummingbird! Some people attract them with special feeders, that is on my list to investigate.Good that you survived the DMV
Karen- the 5B film sounds very powerful, and the other film sounds fun. You are on top of the movie scene! Good luck with all the planning of your trip, I would totally be thinking about all that too. I've never been good at compartmentalizing either. i guess meditation would help, but I haven't got past reading about it into practicing.
Gardenerjoy- I often think that too, that I won't sleep well at night when hungry. Sometimes I eat a small piece of cheese if I'm really hungry and it helps enough.
Penny-you and your husband will be ships that pass in the night! good luck with the weekend.
Maryann-good job figuring out the hunger balance.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

I have my usual Saturday mid-day activity. We're in a thunderstorm right now and expect to be under a heat advisory (mid-90s for the temperature, but humidity well over 70%) by the end of the day. I'm packing a hat, water bottle, and umbrella for all the possibilities.

I'll shop for groceries after so I have a good meal plan and grocery list. CREDIT for doing what it takes to eat well.

Exercise: +25, 740/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #114  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Karen, the movies sound interesting! All of your hiking plans and coordinating food drops and permits,closures and anything else that may come up. It sounds complicated enough to need a road manager.

Joy, credit for eating on plan. Thunderstorms don't happen often here so are exciting.

Bill, credit for the walk. Hurray for getting the DMV issue resolved.

Maryann, I forgot about senior portraits and asked my son if he wants to do that, "Is it required?...then, no." lol I do want to get some family photos done soon.

Curly, the festivities sound so much fun! Enjoy your outing with Manfriend.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #115  

First day of actually food diet. I planned it last night. Wrote it down. I will continue with tracking habits and RR mindful eating app. There is a function to print out a weekly record. I am going to change some of the comments to make them more useful.

I continue to get a ton of things accomplished but have foregone all formal exercise. No more. Top of the list is gym right after cleaning the front of the house and some weeding.

I downloaded a few audiobooks. SIL gets an incredible amount of stuff done wearing a small backpack with her kindle and headphones attached. Next week I will look into wireless apple ear plugs.

Penny: DS wouldn’t have cared either. I had bad memories of no one helping me with my yearbook session so I went all out. He was very tolerant.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #116  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - International Widows Day, over 258 million worldwide (since 2010, UN)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Just a splendid, sunny, low-key day. Caught up on some paperwork and some organizing.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, with DW's amazing lentils for dinner. We ate on the patio because the brief rain showers had already been dried out when time came. Garden remains in full bloom. It's just the best time of year.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, always Kudos "for doing what it takes to eat well."

maryann - Congrats for getting so much done.

curlyjax - Wow! WaterFire Providence look amazing. Glad that the brownies are almost gone.

Penny. - On-plan and holding is good.

Readers -
Quote:

Dining-Out Strategies

The following strategies can help you to stay in control while eating out. As you read them, watch out for sabotaging thoughts, such as, I couldn't do that. The dieters I've counseled and I routinely do these things - and we feel glad that we do.

Tell the waiter how you'd like your food prepared. Don't hesitate to ask for substitutions or other special arrangements. Many diners routinely make such requests, and waiters are accustomed to accommodating them. The worst thing that could happen is that they can't do what you've requested, but in my experience that doesn't occur very often. Watch out for sabotaging thoughts such as, I'm creating too much trouble for them.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #117  
Green Tomatoes

The weather prediction was wrong and I adjusted -- CREDIT. The rain lasted much longer than anticipated, so the heat never developed.

My mid-day activity resulted in wet clothes. Plan A was to eat lunch out with the group followed by stops at two grocery stores. I implemented Plan B, instead, and came home for dry clothes. I was afraid that being wet and cold was going to make me want pizza instead of the planned salad and that would lead to wanting treats at the later stops. So, I had a healthy hot lunch at home.

Today, then, needs a grocery store run. I'm going to do it right after breakfast because that's the time that I'm least likely to want treats. Also, it will help me beat the crowd on a weekend day.

Exercise: +25, 740/1100 minutes for June

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 06-23-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #118  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just back from a nice hike with a friend. I've been following my food plan the past couple of days, but I did put a 1 beer on it for HH on Friday and I did have 2 planned White Claws at home yesterday. Weight is holding. No big plans for today other than a couple of grocery stops and then maybe the pool in the afternoon. We have been so fortunate with cooler than usual temps so the early morning hikes have been really nice.

Joy Good plan to get home for dry clothes. When I do eat pizza I most often eat ore than I wish, so good to be home for a warm lunch.
Bill I bet your yard is just beautiful. Thanks for putting the link in for WaterFire Providence. I still don't know how you do that.
Maryann I've been doing housework with an audiobook and it's most helpful. Of course I often hike with an audiobook or podcast too.
Penny I hope your work weekend is going well. Darn, I missed the 5B movie . . it was gone before I got there.
Curlyjax I hope you and your friend had a great time.

Have a great day all of you!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #119  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Maryann, excellent job sticking to plan and getting things done. I've been off the gym too. Kudos for getting back to it.

Bill, now I'm curious about your wife's amazing lentils. lol

Joy, credit for adjusting your plan to avoid a pitfall! Very smart.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #120  

Credit for OP day. Practiced all my skills and weeded the front bed which took about four hours. I am not a gardener in anyway shape or form. I am sure I did as well as I would do if I was giving someone a haircut. The difference is I know when a haircut is bad

I used DH account at the supply store to get a professional trowel and clippers. I felt very much like a real farmer’s wife which is rare.

I spent the later afternoon planning a spring rafting trip in the Grand. canyon. I have to determine if I am up to a 7.5 mile hike out that gains 4,500 feet of elevation. It would definitely take a lot of planned conditioning. I know Karen did it but I am totally out of shape. I made a list of possible practice hikes within easy reach.

The scale shows no loss which was very disappointing because I have been vigilant. Still it is a clear indicator I need to cut even more calories. I have journaled about the disappointment I hoped of warding off an inner rebellion.

Happy Sunday all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Closed Thread