Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #31  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Maryann, I hope the waterpark trip goes smoothly without any drama.

Karen, I would not have considered cutting a toothbrush handle. Backpackers are such great minimalists!

Bill, my 2nd son had the same fracture in his clavical when he was three. He still tried to beat on his older brother with his good arm, and then cried out his victimhood the second his older brother bumped his sore side. Also, he watched me rotate the Motrin and a narcotic Rx, and pointed his tiny finger at the Vicodin and told me he preferred that one. Lol that kid.

Curly, glad you found the title and got your car back. You're not as disorganized with your papers as you thought!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm eating my "wishful thinking" food plan. All good, healthy foods and if the world worked the way I wanted, I would lose weight. But, the world doesn't work the way I want and I'm going to have to reduce both the size and number of carb servings if I want to lose weight.

Today's plan with two salads and only small amounts of carbs during the mid-day lunch and snacks, is the sort of thing that will actually get the results I want, so I'm determined to follow it and see how it works.

Exercise: +30, 195/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #33  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Thursday check in

Coaches

Day three if working on my block carving. It's going well and is very satisfying. The challenge of it makes me happy.

Food-wise today I am on 6 days on plan. Credit. I have begun another on-plan day today.

Better get to it.

I will check back in later.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday -National Doughnut Day honors the Salvation Army "Lassies" of WWI (since 1917)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Success and failure with the non-working washing machine. Success: I finally figured out that we've had it for at least seven years so we're long out of warranty. I found a terrific YouTube video of just how to go in and replace the water pump. And got the exact model number of the part that needs to be replaced. But first, I had to get rid of the water in the tub. I did a goodly amount in two minutes using a bucket. Then thought it wise, one more time, to prove that the machine didn't work. So I plugged it back in and selected spin cycle. Failure: It roared to life and spun out all the remaining water. That's the failure. It no longer doesn't-work. Now I have to put in a dummy load of laundry to determine if it's permanently non-broken or just non-broken as a one-time fluke. Intermittent failures are just the worst thing to face. I may just buy the pump and have it on the shelf in case the problem returns. Unfortunately, all the water has to be completely out to replace the pump. Now, after I'm done, I remember that out wet/dry shop vac is a great tool for removing most of the water.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. My assignment was to buy something for dinner since DW was returning from an event after 6 pm. I was up to my elbows in washing machine and didn't get out. She'd had too many nibbles at her event to want much food. So dinner was tuna fish sandwiches on whole-wheat bread. Call it done.

My problem with National Doughnut Day is that my brain insists that I go out and grab a FREE doughnut somewhere. Such a stupid compulsion. I don't need the calories of a doughnut and, if I did, I can afford to buy a single doughnut anytime that I want. My goal for the day is the negative: I won't seek a FREE doughnut.

onebyone - You do seem to thrive on challenge. Hope you post pictures of the steam-roller pressing the print; that makes me so happy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for accepting that you can't make the world work the way you want. Not everybody achieves that.

curlyjax - Yay for getting your car back - with bumper attached, even. Before you spend too much time and money trying to restore the shock absorbing quality of your old bumper, check with a mechanic to see if there really was much there in the first place. I'm not convinced bumpers are anything more than decorations.

Penny. - LOL at your three year-old who figured out that Vicodin felt better. LOL, but scary.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 29 Resist Food Pushers

what are you thinking?
What's your reaction to my story? If you're like Julie, perhaps some of these sabotaging thoughts entered your mind. If so, pay close attention to the responses.

Sabotaging Thought: If I don't eat, ___________ will be upset or insulted.
Helpful Response: I wouldn't be upset if someone else didn't want to eat. If others don't like it, that's their problem, not mine. I don't have to please them or justify myself. I don't want to let their reaction (or my prediction about their reaction) get in my way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 212.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Another bad eating day, i'm on a streak. I got too worked up over a conversation at work and then was mad at myself for being unprofessional. Still, I have GOT to get out of this job, I have been here too long and am definitely burned out. I really missed venting to my DH and mom. I need to get back to reading about meditation and then practicing it!
The good news is the estimate on my car is quite reasonable and is less than the money I was given from the insurance company. So I will tuck the excess away for future repairs, since I can't carry collision on it. I just want it to be safe and run one or two more years.
Bill- I hear you about the bumper, but I guess the replacement comes with the shock absorber/metal reinforcement things, so that should be all set. The hatchback area had a small dent in it and that would have been really costly to repair, but the estimator agreed with me that it didn't need to be replaced for function.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #36  

Good morning!

The meal plan food is prepared and filling the fridge just in time for my three day work stretch: a Greek potato salad, bbq tofu, bean burgers, and a corn cauliflower salad. Tasty stuff!

Joy, wishful thinking eating, yes! Me too. I don't want to believe calories have to be so low.

Onebyone, credit for staying on plan.

Bill, I wouldn't trust the washing machine either but at least it wasn't a spilling over issue.

Curly, that's so frustrating when work is burning you out. Been there, done that. I'm glad the car repair isn't as bad as you thought.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Water park was a success. Credit for moving instead of sitting. I went down slides which required lots of steps to climb and I floated down “lazy” river which had a hundred kids in it. I sat while I ate. I read my advantage cards. I still tipped back to 170 but I continue to practice the skills that will bring me the success I want. Today is just a few periods of babysitting.

I never thought I would make it through this year. My mental health issues would so severe in the fall. But the year is in the books and I have the summer to start deciding what I want retirement to look like when it happens in the next few years

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-07-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

I was only about half-successful in changing what I eat for lunch and snacks. But I woke up hungry, so that might be good enough. In other words, I'm going to try going carbless at lunch or for snacks, but not both. At least, most days.

Exercise: +40, 2335/1100 minutes for June

curlyjax: I'm "cheating" at meditation using guided ones on YouTube. I especially love the Guided Meditations and/or stories for falling asleep. I like Honest Guys the most: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHonestGuys
Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #39  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday I took dh to the airport which meant I couldn't hike, but I did do my plank, squat and arms challenge exercises and walked Otis. My friend is still sick so won't be coming up this weekend. I didn't have plans because I thought she was coming, so I got a bit bored/lonesome and had snacks that were too large. Now that I know I'm on my own for a few days I'm making some plans. I was at the trailhead at 5 am this morning and it was 76 degrees, but at least that meant I hiked for most of the time in the shade, which makes a huge difference. I've got meal plans in my head and I'll write it when I get finished. I also purchased a ticket on line to go to the Pavarotti documentary this afternoon. I've seen the previews a couple of times and I always like movies that have lots of music in them. I don't really have any plans for the weekend, but I will hike early both mornings and probably see a couple more movies. It is a very quiet time of the year . . . I guess to make up for all the company later.

I'll catch up on personals tomorrow. Happy Friday everyone!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #40  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - World Ocean Day first proposed by the Canadian government (1992)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lived through National Doughnut Day without going to Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme to get a FREE doughnut, CREDIT moi. It's so easy to go off plan without using a doughnut as an excuse. A relative posted their picture on Facebook snarfing a large one that they'd scored. Yay for them. My eating was on plan, including dinner with friends outside on their patio - with no flies, bugs, or mosquitos. I did get to catch up with a high school friend; kids think further into the future than I remember considering back in my day.

Exercise was minor, just the coming and going of the day. My assignment was to buy Organic Blueberries for DW; unfortunately, my favorite store doesn't do that sort of thing. I bought 7 pints of 'Conventional' blueberries. Perhaps I'll have to eat them all myself. I can do that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Waking up hungry is a great success - Kudos.

maryann - Congrats for doing the water slide like a teen.

Karen (karenrn) - That Pavarotti documentary sounds fun.

curlyjax - Our group is a great place to vent; I hear you about parts of a job that just grate after a spell. Keep the faith. With all going on in your life, you're doing extremely well.

Penny. - Yep, a spilling over washing machine is the worst.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
What's your reaction to my story? If you're like Julie, perhaps some of these sabotaging thoughts entered your mind. If so, pay close attention to the responses. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I have to please others by eating, no matter what the cost is to me.
Helpful Response: I have to work toward my goal, especially since the cost to others is momentary and minor. My not eating won't spoil their entire year, it''s good for me to say no.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Summer is here. The last day was a little chaotic. There were some fights and teachers missed lunch to do extra duty. Tensions were high. I joked to principal that it was similar to when the Berlin Wall was being built We all made it through and I turned in my key. I logged in habits in my app and was rewarded with a pound and a half drop back into the 60s.

Phew!

Day 7 in Beck and I am changing my environment. This will be difficult in that DS and I are going to travel to visit Purdue and U of Illinois. But I’ll work on the house today and keep logging in skills. Historically I don’t lose much weight in summer but I am going to give it top priority this season.

KarenRN: Seems feast or famine with people doesn’t it. I’m either overwhelmed with people or lonely. I prefer the latter however.
BBE: This household isn’t big on organic. There is a tremendous amount of graft, politics and outright fraud in the label. A fruit grown in California is about the healthiest you can find. We are checked regularly but are not “organic.”
Curleyjax: I certainly understand the overwhelm. I fall into it often. Self care is my first defense.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #42  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan but no weight checked this morning. Work called and ousted me from bed at 5am. I am back home for breakfast and will head out again a little later.

Maryann, the waterpark sounds like it was fun. Congrats on finishing your school year!

Karen, you're probably out enjoying your hike. Enjoy your you time.

Joy, I'm getting so many carbs now with the vegetables, but I'm guessing that's not the kind of carbs you mean. lol

Bill, credit for skipping donut day! I guess we know it's not really free afterall.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #43  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed the Pavarotti documentary. In my row it was mostly older women (like myself) and it appeared we all just loved it. I'm not a big opera fan and have had little exposure, but I loved the music. Almost any singing that has a symphony as background is good in my book. The gal I'm hopefully meeting for the second week of the JMT trail was an opera singer, so it will be interesting to talk to her about her life experiences. I know she lived in Europe for a number of years. I got my breakfast and hiking clothes set out last night before bed and got up at 4 to get to the trailhead early again this morning. I was ten minutes later starting at the trailhead, but my time was faster so I still had shade most of the hike. It used to take me an hour an a half to the top of the hill and I was an hour and thirteen minutes today, so I'm happy about that. I feel good and strong and it's hard to imagine that I won't be able to do this forever. Otis got his walk after I got home and that's working out well. He's really excited to go by then. I am thinking about seeing a movie today, but nothing appeals so much. It could be I get started doing some reading again.

Penny Your Greek potato salad and BBQ tofu both sound really good. I used to buy some kind of tofu that was in slices and I don't know how it was fixed, but we both really liked it.
Maryann Yahoo that the school year is finished and you made it! I'm glad you made it through the water park and took part in it. That sounds like fun to me, minus the kids. My cousin who I camp with each year is a kindergarten teacher in Woodlake, CA and has just retired. I just spoke with her and she's elated. She does plan to do some substituting and volunteering though. I'm so happy to have her available all year round now. What is the ap you're using to track your habits? What are the diets you were looking into?
Bill I made it through National Donut Day without one also. I rarely eat that sort of thing, but I swear I could easily eat 6 of them, especially Maple Bars or Bear Claws.
GardenerJoy I do think there is something to waking up hungry. I woke up a bit hungry today and what do you know, the scale was down.
Curlyjax Please do feel free to vent here. I'm sorry you had such a rough day at work. To have lost both your dh and Mom in such a short time is so much to deal with on it's own without work being difficult. You are doing so well doing everything to keep things going with the house, cars, kids etc.
Onebyone Good job sticking to your plan. It's great that you have your art to get so involved with.

Again today I am feeling quite motivated, but I now know from experience that I need to look out for these days and just keep plodding along. It seems if I get too excited about something I throw a monkey wrench into it. You all have a great Saturday.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #44  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Jacques Cartier 1st sails into mouth of St Lawrence River (1534)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DS and his SO to view the two construction projects nearby. One is going up at record speed; the other has been dawdling along for 18 months. It's fun to hear a different perspective - why they'd like to live or not like to live in a design. Crews were working in the one place that I wanted to, possibly illegally, bring them inside so we couldn't. Oh Well. I did a full load of (fake) laundry in the washing machine in order to convince DW that it's good to go on laundry day on Monday. 'Fake' laundry means that I put in the box of rags, towels, and cloth fragments that collects in the basement. Now we have a clean box of rags, towels, and cloth fragments.

Food was OKish with one scheduled snack consumed when I shared trail mix with visitors on the patio. They'd dropped by to see DW's garden at its peak bloom. Kinda fun to hear the fawning admiration that her work draws.

maryann - Congrats for lasting through the "turned in my key" moment. And thanks for the reinforcement of my feelings about the 'organic' label.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for getting up at 4am to go for a hike. I have that same ability to eat six donuts when I don't even want one.

Penny. - Ouch for an emergency 5am work call. Kudos for an on plan day despite that as a start.

Readers -
Quote:
Once I firmly believe I'm
entitled to say no to food pushers,
dieting will be easier.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #45  

Good morning!

My mom bought me a book (1955) written by a woman in her later years, 80s or 90s, about gardening: How to have a green thumb without an aching back. I guess my mom read it in the 80s and liked it enough to remember it. Maybe it will help my puny garden.

Karen, I'm glad the movie was enjoyable. It seems biopics are all the rage these days.

Bill, fantastic that the washer passed the test run. Credit for the on plan day.
Closed Thread