Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 11 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #151  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Quick check in to claim CREDIT for packing a lunch. There's just enough time between my morning event (a program about education) and the afternoon event (an opera) to grab a lunch somewhere quick. But it wouldn't be as quick or as healthy as the one that I packed!
Old 06-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #152  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was slightly overbudget again and weight is holding.

My trip to Iran had to be changed due to the level 4 travel warning (do not go). Plus my travel friend had an Iranian uber driver in Sweden and he was shocked we would be going, saying we would be walking in like a gift to the regime. We kept our Istanbul portion and will pop over to Athens for the second half instead of Iran.

Bill, enjoy your company!

Curly, I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope the friend's help gets you in the door at that company.

Joy, packing a lunch is a big credit!
Old 06-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
I had a great day yesterday. It was like a whole staycation spa day. I went to our gym and tried a tai chi class I never get to do because it is in the middle of the day. I had my hair cut, a mani/pedi, ordered some rocking new glasses (I am legally blind without them), had my car washed, and ate my planned frozen yoghurt in my favorite little park area. Food was completely OP.
Scale remains stuck and I am beginning to feel a little of that old resentment towards the cosmos. Then I looked at my weekly goal of one pound a week through October and realized I am still on track. I scaled back the planned treat and added more veggies for lunch. Hopefully this will move the scale a little faster. I am glad I put each weight milestone in my phone so I can remember what is a reasonable goal for me.
Penny: It sounds like you are doing some variation of a budget challenge. I have done these from time to time joining online groups that have periodic "no spending days." They were fun. I must admit that since I have gone back full time all that went out out the window. I know I will get back to it when I retire.
BBE: Regarding photos, I have been told that the item most problematic and least wanted by our kids are pictures. I am grateful that I have kept up with the scrapbooks. This week I am working on 2018-2019. I have some rules I follow:
1. Do the most recent first. Doing what is fresh in your mind brings you the most success and you'll be encouraged to keep going. In your case, you might start with highlights from DGD and then find some pictures of her mom/dad at the same place or doing the same thing. Match them up and write a title.
2. Every milestone or event usually has at least one whole roll of pictures. Pick the one photo that is most emblematic of the event and throw away (yes, throw away) the rest.
3. Perfectionism is the death of all initiative. Anything accomplished will be appreciated. If chronological organization is too intimidating. Choose the most memorable pictures which build the character of a person (like a novel does). Or build a setting like "Our home" or "our favorite vacation spot" Write a little context and let it go.
As for technology, I scan old photos into my computer and use a service like Shutterfly for premade photo album templates. Give yourself a goal of 40 photos and you'd be amazed how satisfying the accomplishment feels.
Probably more than you wanted to know but I am pretty enthusiastic about scrapbooking

Everybody else have a great weekend! Waving to Beth and onebyone. Thinking about you both.

Last edited by maryann; 06-29-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #154  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I got an early morning 4 mile hike in, but it's definitely getting warmer. It was 85 when I started just before 5 a.m. I'm glad I'll be going to Flagstaff on Tuesday where it is about 30 degrees cooler. I had a couple of drinks (on plan) last night and a bar that was off plan and weight is up a smidge. To be expected I guess. Today I'll stay on plan, but the plan will again include a couple of drinks and we're going out for a burger at dinner time. I just met with the local group of gals who are following Phit n Phat. It's a nice group of gals and they mostly meet once a week. We go around the table and tell of a success we had during the past week, a challenge from the past week and goal for the next week. It is helpful to refocus and visit with others who are trying to do the same. As usual anymore, I am the oldest in the group. A couple of the others are only about 10 years younger which is no big deal, but it is a little hard to relate to those in their 20's. No big plans for the day, but I think dh and I may take in a movie in the afternoon. I may see Echo in the Canyon again because I think he would enjoy that one.

Maryann The day you had yesterday sounds fabulous. My hair is going longer than usual between color and cut because of when I'm leaving on my trip and not wanting to go too often, but I am suffering now until 7/24 when I go. At least the toes look good. Thank you for your
photo hints. I too have quite a few of them. My parents had a ton of slides and I did go thru them and throw out the scenery and had all the others scanned and put on DVD's for myself and my family. I was very glad to get that done some years back, but now I have my own to deal with.
Penny I'm glad you'll still have a very nice trip, but it's probably a little disappointing. Absolutely safety first though.
Curlyjax I didn't realize the job change was partly due to wanting more income. That would put it a little higher on the list of priorities for sure.
Bill I would almost die if I had to wait up that late for guests. I hope you had a nap first.
GardenerJoy Your mil's solution to photos would be the easiest yet and since I only have one son . . . a breeze.

You all have a great Saturday. Time for me to make my meal plan for the day and get a little something done around here.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #155  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - An asteroid explodes above Tunguska in Siberia (1908)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise, CREDIT moi, was walking my house guests about Harvard University and surroundings. There are no Harvard students right now, except for the few who have jobs giving tours to tourists. It's hard not to notice that the majority of tourists are large groups of Asians - many I could identify as Chinese. There are a lot of Asian tourists along the East Coast. But it got bad; high on their list was a tour of the Taza Chocolate Factory (WARNING - that link could trigger a chocolate urge). I've been before, but Taza has added more machines and made the tour more fun. They give out unbounded samples of more than a dozen varieties - fortunately small samples. A fun part was a thirty-minute venture into one of the best (and last) bookstores around. While the others shopped and browsed, I opened a "Where's Waldo" book with my 9-yo niece. Well, I learned that the eyes and brain of a 9-yo are lightning fast. I only found Waldo once before she did. We went through all four different volumes that were on the shelf. The odd part is that there's no incentive to buy one after you've found all the Waldo's. Don't know how they sell them.

Eating just wasn't good. I nibbled with my guests at the chocolate factory tour. At dinner, I did have half as much lasagna as all the others, CREDIT moi for that. And did have a large green salad because I made aa large green salad. I was pleased that all had the salad - they don't go out of their way to be healthy eaters, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - An opera to look forward to sounds like a great incentive to get through a morning meeting.

maryann - Sounds like a great day. Thanks for your tips about organizing pictures. The most striking to me is to remember that I have to be the person to throw away all the extras that don't add to the memory. And the notion to go forward one roll at a time.

Karen (karenrn) - It's so neat that you're the oldest in some of your hiking groups and aren't the last in line. Congrats for keeping is such good shape.

curlyjax - Kudos for passing on the Rocketman movie popcorn - DW wants to see that. And congrats for continuing to seek a job that fits.

Penny. - Ouch for loss of the trip to Iran. It'd be awful to be there if anti-American riots broke out. Istanbul still makes me drool - what a place to go to.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrationis, and Special Events

There are three difficulties associated with this notion. . . .

1. You're likely to encounter special circumstances repeatedly. Think about all the special circumstances that could arise just in the next year: meals at the home of friends and family, parties, office parties, business-related events, charity events, religious occasions, receptions, benefits - the list could go on and on. If you give yourself permission to make exceptions, you could easily overeat at all of them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 216.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Another meal out with a friend which was lovely but not good for staying OP. But the social stuff is so important to me its definitely worth it. Truthfully I could have done better at the end of the day too when I started mindlessly noshing on chips.
I did start cleaning up my room a bit and shifting the winter clothes elsewhere finally. Today is church and groceries hopefully before it storms, then working on my resume and financial stuff, ugh. I decided if I dedicate 30 minutes to each that should be plenty and not be overwhelming, and will break it up with practicing singing or something I enjoy.Plus i’m going to reward myself with season 8 of Doc Martin which I haven’t seen!
Gardenerjoy- packing lunch is a great idea.
Penny- I can see why its not a good time to go to Iran! Istanbul and Athens will be really cool. I forget when you’re going- is it september?
Maryann- sounds like you had a lovely day. I did scrapbooking once upon a time.
Karen-I know what you mean about those 20 year olds. Their metabolism is so much higher, not to mention where they are in life.
Bill-I’m so glad that chocolate factory wasn’t around when I lived in Somerville!

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-30-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #157  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

By the time I finished typing my note to you all yesterday I noticed my left wrist was darned sore and swollen from a fall I took hiking in the morning. When dh got home he encouraged me to go get an x-ray since I'm leaving Tuesday to go hiking out of town. I did and it isn't broken, thank goodness. They gave me a brace and actually it's much better today. I guess I just strained a ligament. I have really small bones and I've had osteopenia for a number of years, so I wanted to be sure I didn't have a crack or something. I'm amazed at how well the swelling has gone down. Anyway, didn't get to the movies. We did have our friend over for a drink and then we all went out for burgers. I had coleslaw for my side dish and didn't eat a one of dh's fries or friends tater tots even though they were very tempting. I stuck to my plan which was generous enough. I didn't get on the scale this morning but will drink lots of water today and see how it looks by tomorrow.

Curlyjax The social stuff is so worth it is right. Good job on getting started with your room. Enjoy Sunday!
Bill I didn't even click on the link for the chocolate factory. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but today I feel like I don't need to see photos or any tasty things. How long will your guests be with you?

Okay getting going doing something here. A bit of laundry and who knows what else, but I will get something done cause dh has been busy all morning and he's putting me to shame.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #158  
Green Tomatoes

Off to the grocery store. I have a plan for healthy foods for now through the 4th. CREDIT for making plans and shopping like someone who wants a healthy life with a bit of weight loss along the way.

I'm on track to reach my exercise goal for June today!

Exercise: +40, 1060/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #159  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Late check in because my phone was dead this morning.

Yesterday was on plan, which has been maintenance calories, and weight is holding. It's actually been really nice to take a break from weightloss and be more flexible with eating.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 06-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Happy Last Day of June!

Yesterday was OP, credits for not going back into kitchen to eat some more when I was slightly hungry. Also credit for yesterday’s gym bike and this morning’s real bike. DH was kind enough to accompany even though he is in the farmlands all day.

In an effort to make my goal, I have cut down on my planned sweet treat two days running. I have slowed down and savored half the portion. I will make sure to keep in touch with my feelings over such a radical move.

Off to read day 19 of Beck, “Stop Fooling Yourself.”

Wave till July.

Last edited by maryann; 06-30-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #161  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the July 2019 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Closed Thread