Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - 10th recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet (451)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. Had to hustle past all the construction projects that we were tempted to stop and supervise. Wore no jackets. Carried no umbrellas. Talked to some friends who had also watched The Tree of Life. They, too, had trouble staying with the full two hours and 19 minutes of background pictures. Should have been a short movie plus a David Attenborough special of life on earth. The video was compelling even though I got picky that the fake dinosaur was shown in a hardwood forest instead of wandering among giant ferns. It was fun to see life of Waco, Texas in the 1956. Some of you active women might have had a hard time sitting at home being a good homemaker. Long time ago.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I avoided a loaf of bread offered simply because I didn't need a loaf of bread even though it would have been FREE. Seems like a small step but if we have too much bread I tend to eat more as if I was personally responsible that no wheat gets to our compost pile for our worms and zillions of microbes. Maybe I need to develop sympathy for the microbes, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for recovering from wet clothes rather than eating about it.

maryann - LOL at comparing your weeding to a unskilled haircut. Nothing is better than professional tools when doing serious work.

Karen (karenrn) - Great that you've had some cooler weather. We broke 80 degrees F yesterday - pretty high for us.

Penny. - On plan and holding could become a sane way of life.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies . . .

Order smaller portions. Order an appetizer as an entree or ask if you can get an appetizer portion of an entree. Watch out for sabotaging thoughts, such as, My dining companions will be critical of me if I eat so little.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 216.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

For some reason I could not get this website to work at home so i'm accessing it at work quickly. Didn't get to post yesterday since I wasn't home in the am (blush blush) and went to church, errands etc after. Waterfire was wonderful (yes thanks for posting link Bill, I don't know how to do that either!) Perfect weather for strolling around. We found a little burger joint with cheap burgers (alcohol was not so cheap!) which was very fun, and just had a nice time in general. I was exhausted but realized I couldn't have done this a few weeks before without stopping constantly, so the cortison shot did indeed kick in.
Foodwise need to get back on track. had another exhausting session with DD which reminds me why I don't get things done sometimes, parenting takes a lot of time.
BOth kids are now etting up early for the next six weeks for jobs which is great but i'm losing some of my precious alone time in the morning. Ah well, its temporary and the m orning went smoothly anyhow.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #123  

S/C/G: +71/+7.4/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. I almost did the lower calories, but succumbed to the usual evening urges to not be hungry. Maybe now that my work weekend is over I can try it with success.

Karen, I want to have drinks by the pool with you! Kudos for the hike.

Maryann, lol at the bad haircut analogy. I feel the same way about yard maintenance. That hike elevation sounds very tough to me after killing myself on the 2300 foot gain over fewer miles.

Bill, lol at hurrying past the construction. Credit for the walk.

Curly, I'm glad you had a nice outing. I don't like it when my morning quiet time is interrupted either.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #124  
Green Tomatoes

Yay! I posted both weekend days. First time in weeks. But I had to go check because it came so naturally that I wondered if I'd really done it. My days and my eating go better if I follow my morning routine.

Exercise: +40, 810/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #125  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I added an extra snack to yesterday's food plan cause I was really hungry. Weight remains the same the past couple of days. I just got back from my Bell Pass hike. Today I wore my backpack with 20+ pounds in it. I haven't had a backpack on since the last Grand Canyon Trip in April. It actually was just fine. I think I'll do a couple of hikes a week with the backpack. The hard part will be that the temps are beginning to increase. I may just hike Sunrise with a pack on. The elevation gain is about the same, but it's shorter. I haven't made my food plan for the day yet, but I pretty much know what I'm having and just need to write it down. I get my cell phone thru the company my husband works for. I guess I've had it for over a year. Anyway they have had AT&T and their coverage is not near as good as Verizon in our area. Today they're switching to Verizon, so I'm a happy camper to go in this afternoon to get my new phone with better coverage. Dh won't be working forever, but I'm enjoying the free phone while it lasts.

GardenerJoy Way to go getting your habit going again.
Penny I wish I could drop my calories a bit too, but I don't think I will. It's more important to me to have energy and strength.
Curlyjax I'm glad you had a nice weekend and that your hip is feeling better.
Bill I think I saw some previews for that movie, but I haven't seen anything more about it.
Maryann I think one of the most difficult things about weight loss is that it is not linear and I expect it to be when I'm following my plan diligently. What I'm trying to do is not get discouraged and eat off plan when the weight loss I expect doesn't happen, cause then it really won't happen. For the Grand Canyon trip, what trail would you be hiking out? If it's the Bright Angel trail, it is really more like 9 miles and although there is a lot of elevation gain the trail is wide and nicely graded with several places to get water. You could certainly be in shape for it if you decide to do it.

Okay . . . on to getting a few things done around here.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #126  

S/C/G: wk#3/ lost 3lbs/ goal 1lb wk

Height: 5'6

Yesterday was OP but the scale remains immovable. I simply need more steps even if it is hot here. Gardening is not enough. Credit for checking off all my Beck skills and journaling about my feelings of not accomplishing enough with weight loss with all this free time. Also credit for trying to plan for some hikes through meetup but every event I have found is full. I will make it a priority today.

I need to remember this is my rest and recoup time from a very difficult year. I don’t have to be “productive” every moment.

Karen: the trips with the hike are booked apparently. It looks like we are going with the helicopter in. I still want to make a list of practice hikes I can do by myself. I simply have no hiking buddies around here.
Penny: I wrote a special advantage card for treating myself kindly between 5 and 7 because that was when I was blowing my plan off.
BBE: it is difficult to think of wearing a jacket in Boston in June.

Last edited by maryann; 06-24-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #127  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - 1st recorded monthly Quaker meeting in US held (1672, Sandwich, MA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise, CREDIT moi, of the day was to wash my much loved electric LEAF. Actually, I didn't. I vacuumed all the places that a car-wash place wouldn't, like the trunk and under the hood. My LEAF attracts leaves from the elm under which it lives. After three years without a wash it gets deep. I did actually wash the edges that get missed. Now my car is clean in selected spots - ready to go through the car wash. I suppose what I did is what's called 'detailing' - but it's hard for me to believe that they'd go under the hood. We have visitors coming for the first week in July and they'll want a complete tour of the electric car. The reward was that I discovered that our powerful shop-vac wasn't sucking up to par. Found the rag caught in the input vent; once removed, the vac is a demon again. In my ideal life, I'd do this once a year.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, because I was busy. Evening entertainment was a trip to Home Depot to buy some 18-gallon plastic tubs to hide stuff that someday I need to discard or to properly store like this one. I can throw stuff away any time I want to. I just haven't wanted to yet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Routine wins again.

maryann - Oh, Yes, "I don’t have to be “productive” every moment."

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that your phone plan is changed and it's for the better. Do you keep the same number?

curlyjax - Yay for having two employed kids; I've got friends who complain that their kids don't seem to understand the idea. Glad that you enjoyed Waterfire.

Penny. - Ouch for having to fight the thought of feeling 'hunger' with Kudos for recognizing that that's your challenge to meet.

Readers -
Quote:

If you're eating at a buffet or family-style restaurant, look at all food options before filing your plate. Of all the foods allowed on your diet plan, which look the most appealing? Would you feel more satisfied with very small tastes of several different foods or with larger portions of just a few foods? Make a decision and then put food on your plate. Remind yourself that this is it - no seconds. If you feel disappointed, say, Oh, well, I'd rather be able to eat more, but I'm moving on ... I'd rather lose weight even more.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #128  

I've been fooling myself that i'm maintaining but in reality i'm going up again. I've been eating treats at work and then brought some home as well. I was really motivated for about a week and need to get back to that. I'm also in a rut with exercise, i stretch everyday but am not getting any walking in.
I'm thinking of getting a weed whacker, but not gas operated if possible, the yard is really getting out of hand, and DS could use it and keep himself away from poison ivy, which he gets quite easily. DH always attended to the outdoors and i tend to forget about it, because there is so much to do indoors like food prep and laundry. I need to put away my winter clothes before its cold again! They are in the way, but to do that i have to move other stuff, and so on. Without DH here my bedroom has become a huge mess.
Maryann- I know what you mean about feeling like you have to be productive all the time. I remind myself too, it is nice to just sit and read or watch tv and feel content at times, instead of sad/lonely/depressed. That is very important to me currently.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #129  

S/C/G: +71/+7.4/0

Good morning!

Maintenance eating was achieved and weight is holding.

It's dentist appointment day for me and the kids, which means all afternoon spent there with five of us cycling through two hygienists.

Joy, credit for checking in on the weekend, and of course keeping up with your exercise minutes.

Karen, that must feel great to know the 20 pound backpack was still fine after a couple months without it. Keeping that fitness level up!

Bill, the LEAF is popular on my block, amongst other electric cars. Credit for getting it vacuumed.

Maryann, definitely don't want to stress your way through the summer break. You get enough of that through the school year!

Curly, gosh darn those work sweets! My boys wanted to try making churros yesterday and we used up a lot of oil and all the cinnamon only to have them turn out like rock hard turds. Lol I'm not gonna lie, I gnawed on a couple of those anyway.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #130  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday, I followed my plan which included precisely one slice of pizza at a supper meeting, knowing that my planned salad was ready for when I got home.

The meeting went unexpectedly well with surprise guests. There were a bunch of experts in the room that I didn't know about and school board members unexpectedly attended to hear them. I got to look like a really effective leader when all I really did was make the space for all these people to show up.

Exercise: +40, 850/1100 minutes for June
Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #131  

S/C/G: wk#3/ lost 3lbs/ goal 1lb wk

Height: 5'6

Excited to change stats to show that I am on track. I have lost two pounds by week 2. I am going to mall, movie and a meeting and I don’t want to slip backwards in weight so I will bring a small lunch and purchase a planned treat.

Continue to track Beck habits which includes identifying moods while I am eating. I am sitting while eating like a professional now.

Gardened for four hours yesterday and was exhausted. I really do need to get into shape.

Penny: lol an entire family descending upon the dentist.
BBE: I bet you had a nice feeling of accomplishment after detailing.
Gardenerjoy: true enough that good things come when we provide space for them to happen.
Curleyjax: I send the good fairy of motivation to you. I know she can be finicky with me.

Last edited by maryann; 06-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #132  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - The United Nations charter signed by 50 countries (1945, San Francisco)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Difficult time was spent putting stuff in my new 18-gallon containers so that there are fewer stacks of 'stuff' lying about when we have visitors for a week. One is a nine-year old with lots of energy. I suspect that there will be no unexplored nooks or crannies during her stay.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was sugar snaps from our garden. These are only available for a few weeks until the vines give out and the season is over. Amazon delivered a book that I'd ordered pre-publication; it's arrival was a surprise since that was so long ago. But Amazon doesn't forget.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congratulations for having a school board that actually listens to folks with good ideas. Perhaps being a really effective leader is precisely making space for the right folks.

maryann - Four hours of gardening would exhaust any mortal.

curlyjax - The current battery powered weed-whackers are powerful and long lasting. DW gets about an hour from one battery when she's off whacking in volunteer native plant area. She, oddly enough, doesn't use that as a reason to stop; she puts in her second battery. We even have two chargers in our basement. Good luck fighting those treats that show up at work.

Penny. - Love the image of all five family members cycling through one hygienist. Before our safari to Africa twenty years ago, the four of us went to the medical office for our shots. I envisioned standing all bare-butt together in an assembly line. Didn't happen that way; they took us one-by-one.

Readers -
Quote:

Practice what you know. Eat slowly and notice every bite, even if you're distracted by your companions and the environment.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #133  

Too many sweets at work yet again, but I did have a healthy lunch. Today's excitement is taking car 1 for oil change and possible annual inspection depending on what they find- its sounding very noisy. I warned DS we are going to do some work around the house after his job since I have some free time today, like trimming low tree branches and bringing stuff to the dump. I also ordered a new vacuum from Amazon and will have him put it together. And then choir tonight. My section, the altos, are supposed to bring a snack. Another eating thing to avoid I'm bringing grapes or something like that. We didn't use to do snacks, can't people socialize without food!
Bill- thanks for the info on the weed whacker, glad they work well. Your DW has some energy! Yay for sugar snaps.
Maryann- thank you for the good fairy, I need it! Great job with 2 pound loss.
Gardenerjoy-good job following your plan.
Penny- ha! I would think churros would be difficult to make indeed.
Karen-you are strong indeed with that 20 pound backpack. A free phone is a great thing.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #134  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I have taken the day off of hiking. I was in a crummy mood yesterday and I think it's because I like to have a solid plan and I can't have a solid plan about my backpacking plans because of the conditions. I figured the High Sierra Trail was going to be no problem by 8/31, but a 10 foot section of the trail slid down the bank and it's not really crossable. Folks on the FB page think it's doubtful it will be repaired because there are so many other things that need repair due to the snow damage from this years heavy snow. Perhaps the JMT section will actually be the easier part of this summer's backpack. I realize I have hiked the last 12 days in a row and most of those days I've woken up at 3 something and I'm out the door by 4:30. So today I made the decision not to hike and I'll go to the gym after I take Otis for a walk over at the park where he seems to walk better. I'm also in these two Garmin step challenges, plus a monthly challenge and I get so competitive that I need to get my steps in each day. I've won 5 out of 7 challenges, but this isn't getting me to the gym to do strength training. I have been doing some at home because it's a another challenge for squats, arms and planks. Okay that's my story. The good new is that I'm slowly losing weight 2.4 pounds last week and 1.2 so far this week.

Curlyjax I have to say I'm glad I don't have the temptation of sweets at work. It would be tough to face that temptation so frequently.
Bill The sugar snap peas sound so nummy. I get them at the store, but I know they aren't anything like fresh out of the garden.
Maryann Sounds like your new plan is a working deal, yahoo. What movie did you see?
GardenerJoy I'm glad your meeting went well. I imagine you do a very professional job. One slice of pizza is stellar. I'm going to do that tonight.
Penny Do you feel like you're having to be quite restrictive to maintain? I hope not. I think maintenance is not much different that losing, but it is kind of a bummer not to see the scale go down. Even with all the exercise I get I still don't feel like I can eat that much, but I know that's just the way it is. Probably a good thing the churros didn't turn out so good. They are so nummy. I've only had them when I was in Mexico. I think I'd better keep it that way.

Yesterday I went to the Woodstock movie. It was great but not as much music as I would have liked. I'm looking forward to seeing Yesterday when it comes out and also a movie about David Crosby. I do love the movies, especially in summer when it's hot. Okay, time to get up and get Otis to the park.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

I was brave and shared a doodled piece in a couple of places on Facebook -- my own page plus in a huge group of artistic types who participated in an event called Sketchbook Revival in the spring. That's the event that got me started on a daily practice of making marks in a sketchbook, although most of the sessions of the original event were well beyond my skill level. I got lots of positive feedback. I don't know why I expected otherwise. Mostly people are nice when I give them the chance to be.

Exercise: +40, 890/1100 minutes for June
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Make Art FB.jpg (44.2 KB, 10 views)
Closed Thread