Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #136  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and I did drop a pound into the next decade this morning. Whoohoo!

Maryann, you can call that an IF day! Great job to your ds.

Beth, kudos for winning the donut battle.

Bill, I hope the extra hydration takes care of things. Yay for team mustard! lol

Karen, the water crossing sounds pretty exhilerating. Enjoy the long hike today.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

OP yesterday. The plan included homemade bread and I didn’t feel good afterwards so I am cutting the amount in half today. Focus again on stopping when satisfied. I only ate half of breakfast. I’ll put it in Tupperware and save for this evening if necessary. Coffee with good friends after school. Focus is on companionship and not food.

Penny: a new decade is wonderful!!!!!!
Karen have fun with the hike. I’m glad no Diva submerged.
Beth: Thanks for checking in.
BBE: Today’s quote is a big deal.

Last edited by maryann; 02-25-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 PM   #138  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Good food decisions today. Went out for dinner and ate exactly what I intended and didn’t have much of a "eat more" fight with myself—it was a feeble attempt and my resistance muscle squashed it. Not quite enough water today—I’ll work on that tomorrow.

Started PT for my knee today. So, since I did my PT exercises twice, at least I’m doing something!

I’m taking the train downtown tomorrow. I’m going to have to be careful not to overdo the walking.

—Beth
Old 02-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Congress forms Grand Canyon National Park (1919, Arizona)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the library to return the stack of DVDs and to pick up Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I am only 200 years late getting to it. I keep reading that everyone has a clear notion of what the novel means and that it's usually wrong. Don't know why I think another book on my stack is just what I need. My calf made the trip and back; water hasn't cured it yet, but it's better.

Lunch was constructed from the last remnants of the meatloaf. Afternoon snack was the remaining sliver of a sliver of the dark chocolate and raspberry torte that had been left exclusively for me from DW's potluck last Tuesday. By dawdling, it had slowly evaporated. I was told that I could only have half of the sliver remaining. The part of me that wants to limit extra sugar should be happy. Unfortunately, that part sits behind that part of me that demands that I get my fair share. I suppose that one doesn't ever get over growing up with siblings, LOL.

maryann - Thanks for casually using 'Tupperware' - I didn't know that stuff was still around. Did your have to go to a Tupperware Party to own it?

Karen (karenrn) - Maintenance mode isn't bad. Congrats for making those two stream crossings without falling in.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Yay for having some PT to do to get moving forward.

Penny. - Welcome to the next decade.

Readers -
Quote:
day 2 Say Oh, Well, to Disappointment

When this happens, you'll need to remind yourself that you've freely chosen to diet. And having done so, you have another choice as well. You can either make yourself miserable by railing against the fates that "put you in this situation," or you can accept the disadvantages of dieting as a necessary means to an end. Once you truly accept that you need to follow the steps in this program, your struggles will diminish and dieting will become much easier.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 179.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #140  

Good Morning.

Disappointment on the scale makes me doubt the progress I have made in sticking to a food plan and sitting while I am eating. I really believe I have to face the fact that I will have to go to bed slightly hungry. I have proven this to myself time and time again. So reading BBE’s quote has helped me to say “Oh well” to disappointment and practice this next skill. I freely choose to be hungry at night so that I may stop a scale that creeps up.

BBE: I use the term Tupperware like I use the term xerox. I must date myself constantly.
Beth: credit for squashing voices that do not serve you.

Last edited by maryann; 02-26-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #141  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. I finally made it to an exercise class that does more muscle work/less cardio and it kicked my butt! My muscles were all jittery when I walked out.

Maryann, credit for saying oh well to the scale disappointment. It's almost funny how fast the pounds can pack on but when I'm trying to lose I have to be satisfied with a 0.2 pound loss in a week. Oh well.

Beth, safe travels today! Kudos for sticking to your food plan.

Bill, love the notion of the two competing parts of yourself. I was just thinking how much I wish I could recreationally eat, so I guess that part of me was trying to get some attention.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #142  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Good hike yesterday and there was even snow next to the trail in several of the places that don't get as much sun. There was a lot of damage to the palo verde trees probably from snow and wind and some of the barrel cactus were down. The root systems of cactus are very shallow. We both did well and I feel good today, but I was a little tired today. Not sure if it's from the hike or from Otis getting me up at 3:15 and not going back to sleep. I typically wake up at 4 anyway, but I don't like to wake up before that. Food was on plan yesterday, but I did have a little extra mid day today, when what I really needed was a nap. I ended up doing that too. I did get Otis out on a walk this morning and then met my friend at the gym for an hour. I had planned to do some housework, but it will wait until tomorrow. I did get some errands taken care of though.

Penny Strength training is hard, but seems like it is recommended more than cardio anymore.
Maryann A the darn scale, it is always so hard to really know what the fluctuations are from. I was down today, but I'm sure I'll be up tomorrow.
Bill I'm glad the leg is better. When I was having a lot of cramps I took some extra Magnesium for a bit. Who knows if it helped, but I don't have cramps often.
Beth Good job on strengthening your resistance muscle. I don't think there is much that is more important other than getting back on plan quickly if and when we do get off. I hope the PT helps.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #143  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Credits for today including daytime food choices, dinner ordered, and doing my PT.

Not a credit--snack at the train station on the way home and I didn't drink enough water.

I need to start reading my cards again--I haven't been and that makes talking back to myself harder.

--Beth
Old 02-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #144  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday- Psychiatrists Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud meet for 1st time (1907, Vienna)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Now I'm in love with enzymes, the clever little proteins that speed up chemical reactions in the cell by a factor of 100 trillion or so. Each enzyme tends to work on exactly one reaction of which there are thousands. It's a zoo in there. Busy, busy, busy. And all I have to do is eat a carbohydrate to get a glucose molecule into the cell for work to begin. Makes me proud of every candy bar I've consumed. There are, truth be told, other foods that trigger good stuff happening, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with more snacks than hunger warranted. My classes are right after lunch when my eyelids feel the most droopy. I prefer morning classes when my brain isn't wishing it was taking a little snooze. The temps dipped into the Fahrenheit teens - sorta cold.

maryann - Kudos for using "Oh, Well" to stay your path. Our newspapers report that a fierce winter storm packing winds in excess of 100 mph (160 kph) and predicted to bring as much as 8 feet (2.4 meters) of snow to the Sierra Nevada. Hope you're far enough away to miss the impact.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the damage to your delightful palo verde trees - that I don't know to grow around here. Housework can always wait.

Beth (bethturnaround) - I join you in trying to get in enough water so that 'urges' aren't interpreted as hunger.

Penny. - Yay for jittery muscles to know that they're getting worked.

Readers -
Quote:
day 2 Say Oh, Well, to Disappointment

Just Say, Oh, Well

In 1994, I learned an important lesson about acceptance. That was the year my youngest child was put on an extremely strict diet to control epilepsy. It was a mainstream treatment, called the ketogenic diet, prescribed by his doctor. Thank goodness, it worked! For almost six years (most kids are on it for only two to three years), my son ate three meals a day and no snacks. Each meal consisted mostly of fat - heavy cream and mayonnaise, oil, or butter - with just a small amount of protein and an even smaller amount of carbohydrates. You can imagine why he's my hero. For almost six years, he did not have one bite of candy, cookies, ice cream, or any other treat that contained sugar. He never ate a whole piece of fruit, a whole piece of bread, ord more than a couple of chips at a time. He never had seconds or ate between meals. Not once.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 179.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave coaches. I've had a bad back ache for a few days and its really slowing me down. I had a last minute massage last night and it helped a little. I have never had a male masseuse before and it was a bit awkward, i was a little giggly.I overslept today so must run. Wave to all!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #146  
Green Tomatoes

Our sewer lift pump quit working which rendered our drains non-functional for more than a week. I'm grateful that we had the means to stay in a nearby hotel. I think we've discovered DH's favorite vacation -- close enough to his projects at home, while also having someone else make the bed and an omelet every morning.

I did pretty well on food most of the time, but it got more stressful toward the end and I soothed with food. Today, I'll get the right foods in the house for me to get back on plan.

Exercise: +25, 985/1000 minutes for February
Old 02-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #147  

Good Morning, Coaches.

The rain and snow are trying to wash us away. DH is stuck in the Sierras right now.

Food OP. Scale tipped back down a little. That is good. I needed a win. Talked to myself all day yesterday when I felt like hopping off plan. Listened to some positive podcasts. I have not been getting enough exercise. The rain hasn’t helped. Gym tonight no choice.

Wave all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-27-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #148  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down another 0.4 pound.

My muscle soreness got worse toward last night and getting up and down is a painful squat. Gotta love that sign of progress!

Karen, your constant attention to fitness is inspiring!

Beth, I'm glad to read the train travel went okay.

Bill, I'm glad you are enjoying the class. It seems like it was worthy of interrupting the afternoon nap.

Curly, sorry about the back! I've been hoping things are going smoothly with your mom.

Joy, good to see your update! Sorry about the home repairs and LOL about your DH enjoying a perfect semi staycation with room service.

Maryann, credit for the scale going down and good luck with your gym plans.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-27-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #149  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a housework for exercise day and food was more than planned at dinner. My brother and his wife arrived just before dinner. Actually I went to pick them up and they'll get their rental car today near my house. It's much less expensive to get it away from the airport and they can still return it to the airport. This morning we'll all do a shorter hike together. They are easy to have because they are very independent and her children live in town. Short post today . . personals tomorrow. I'm setting the alarm to get up right before midnight to email for permits for the High Sierra Trail. It's first come first served after 12:01 a.m. I'm putting in permits under my name and another gals because we may need to go later than the original plan due to all the snow in the Sierra. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #150  
Green Tomatoes

I almost never meet my exercise goal ahead of time. Any minutes I get today will be a bonus for February.

We'll cook a turkey breast and I'll bake bread today. That will make it easier to make meals that start to feel normal, again.

Exercise: +20, 1005/1000 minutes for February
Closed Thread