Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 9 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #121  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with a cycling class, and weight is holding.

It was time to restock the fridge so yesterday I made a smokey corn chowder and a "Indian hummus" that has curry, raisins and dates. I was curious about the flavors and it is not bad.

Today I am also going to make a tofu fried rice.

Bill, I'm glad your weather has warmed up and sushi was enjoyed.

Curly, that is a bummer the meeting went that way. Credit for popping into a bookstore instead of a food venue.

Karen, the cycling is definitely my fav, but I should incorporate another type of class for more muscle work.

Maryann, I love the idea of using reminders to send a message to our afternoon selves. Morning self is usually so full of motivation and hope.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-22-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #122  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone

We celebrated National Margarita Day but had the server take away the chips. So, credit for not gorging on chips.

Orthopedist said I have osteoarthritis. The goal is to see how long I can postpone knee replacement. Any lesser surgery won’t make sense. Hopefully steroid shots will make it possible to postpone surgical solutions.

G’night all

—Beth
Old 02-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - W.E.B. DuBois, American writer, editor, born (1868, Mass)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Watched the 2016 movie Lion last night based on the book A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley. Really grabbed us - an inspiring tale. The credits noted that 80,000 kids a year are lost in India. Was a rather new movie by our standards. I brought home a stack of six movies from the library for us to debate for our choice. That's one of the big advantages of the library - we get to fondle a few movies and have a backup sitting ready if we don't like it.

Brought Daffodils for DW - two batches of ten. They were embarrassingly inexpensive at $1.79 per batch of ten. They've already opened gracing the kitchen table. We both have our spirits lifted by spring flowers. Dinner was meatloaf that we have only about every six months. I just love it, but DW doesn't prepare a lot of red meat so meatloaf has to wait its turn. The good news is that I used to have the leftover for a sandwich the next day; now, the leftover is another meal. I sometimes miss the good old days of stuffing myself all the time.

maryann - I also like encountering Beck like strategies from other sources.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for your tooth adventure being not as bad as feared. No Finish Line Nation sounds like a sane group.

curlyjax - Ouch for a job process that might have already been decided. I had one of those for an internal promotion at work; wasn't so much a bummer that I didn't get the job, but that I wasted my time working on it.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for avoiding those chips that can slide down in large quantify without feedback. Good luck finding your way forward with that osteoarthritis.

Penny. - That Indian Hummus sounds pretty rich. Kudos for restocking the fridge with soup.

Readers -
Quote:
Week 4 Respond to Sabotaging Thoughts

You'll also learn how to identify and respond to sabotaging thoughts, which is one of the most important skills you'll learn in this program. By week's end, you'll be much better equipped to think like a thin person.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 179.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I woke up too early today for no reason. I hate when that happens on the weekend. I finally got the FAFSA done, yay! This weekend I have some more finance things to do like getting stuff ready for the accountant, and working on my husbands estate stuff.I also have some fun stuff to do like planning our trip to Scotland which is coming up sooner than I thought, in about 6 weeks! And planning and shopping for some healthier meals this week, i've been slacking.Definitely slipping back into feeling bored and then depressed at work, unmotivated to do anything, and then snacking. Credit yesterday for finally getting back on the bike.

Beth- I feel you on the OA, I have it in my hip and know a replacement is in my future, but hopefully not for a long time. Mine was caused by an accident years ago but is definitely made worse by my weight.
Penny- that is so true, that its our afternoon selves that sabotage us! The hummus sounds great, I love that combo.
Bill-leftover meatloaf is the best! I have some hamburger meat I need to use, maybe I will do a meatloaf today.
Karen-I’m glad your procedure is over and you’re feeling better! Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone. I know what you mean, I prefer small groups too.
Maryann- I like the disruption idea. Good for you for being at a 2 for satisfaction.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-23-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning. Successfully practiced “satisfied” all day; it is definitely uncomfortable. The two worst times are right before I get to eat again because I have convinced myself I am ravenous which brings on fear. I fought that feeling by eating a small portion, walking away and then slowly eating the rest. Also, I am really trying to focus solely on the eating and not reading or working at the same time. The exception is family dinner. The talking makes the meal go longer so it works.

The second crucial time is ending the meal when I want just a little bit more. The toughest time of the day for this is cleaning up. I put gum in my mouth last night. The podcast talks about decision fatigue. For me the end of the day is the worst and I can’t be deciding whether or not to eat more at that point,

So credit for a streak of two OP days. Weight is three pounds from ticker. Credit a walk yesterday,

Today’s challenges include a weekend which is always difficult. Also my parents are coming to see DS running in a race and then performing with the symphony. I have years of food tripwires with them. My two solutions are a very generous plan and all my water.

Curley: I love Scotland. Super cool.
Beth: sorry about the knee. I find the stationary bike really helps with the knee. It doesn’t get my heart rate up but it really improves my mood which brings me success with the food stuff.
BBE: I think the library is the most important public space we have. It truly is invaluable to people from every situation in a city.
Penny: love that you cook. Yesterday I tried my very first whole chicken. I did it in a pressure cooker and it was amazingly moist. It was a little messy to debone but I have another meal now with chicken pesto pasta.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #126  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a bit over plan, mostly because I had a couple of drinks. I ate soup before the function I attended because I didn't want to worry about what was served that would be soft for my new lack of tooth situation, but I did have a very small brownie that a gal brought. It was some kind of a low cal recipe and was actually very good. It was fun seeing all the gals, especially those I have met before. I did try to reach out to a few who were knew and obviously didn't know anyone. I told myself before I went that I would work on that and I did.
Like Maryann I have written a generous plan for myself today because we're going out to eat with a friend. There is a picnic with the group who are in town and I'll eat before I go, mostly because I would rather have what I fix and I know they are having sandwiches on croissants. I don't usually do that much bread and I already know my plan includes a hamburger at dinner. I'm not going to worry about exercise today. We are finally having clear blue skies, but it is still about 20 degrees below normal. I will never forget this time as it is record setting cold and record setting snow. The northern most trailheads of the preserve where I hike, even Tom's Thumb where I used to do my greeter duty, are closed for snow. I can see the snow on the hills from my backyard. It's just crazy!
Maryann I really need to work on my hunger scale too. I know I eat more than I should. The 24 hour plans do help though I was better at them the first month than I have been just lately.
Curlyjax I bet you are quite relieved to have that FAFSA application completed. I know that has been hanging over your head. Onward to the other things with more success behind you.
Bill I intended to see Lion when it was in the theater but didn't, thanks for putting it back on my radar. Yes NFLN is a sane group and I think like most of the sane groups their main goal is that we don't quit. I will say however, that many of the gals were noticeably heavier this time than when I met them in September 2018. They are not quitting though.
Beth I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis diagnosis. I hope the steroids will help. No matter what keep working on strengthening the muscles around the knee. It will help now and it will help if you do need surgery.
Penny The ingredients in the hummus sound delicious, but I don't think just "not bad" would be worth it. I definitely do need to look into the cycling especially for cardio in the summer.

You all have a great day!

Last edited by karenrn; 02-23-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #127  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. I'm really getting tired of this three pound window I've been in and just wish it would drop into the next decade already. So close!

Usually when I complain it's about time for progress so let me just get my complaining out there.

Beth, sorry about the bad knee news. I hope the steroid shot helps.

Bill, definitely can relate to missing the old days of stuffing myself. Credit for saving the meatloaf for dinner.

Maryann, credit for sticking to plan! Decision fatigue has been reduced greatly by having the same breakfast and two homemade things at the ready in the fridge (that are not triggering for me). Your ds sounds so talented!

Curly, yay for getting that paperwork in order! We just did taxes finally and ouch for the loss of exemptions.

Karen, that is pretty crazy to see snow from your house. We sometimes get a fun dump of snow for a few days but nothing yet. I'll have to look up what that group your involved with is all about.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:11 AM   #128  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone

I had two big eating challenges today (and a very stressful day).

At 6 I wanted to eat but knew we were going out to a Mensa event where there’d be food about 8:30. So I filled up a plate with celery and red pepper strips, along with baby carrots, grape tomatoes, and hummus. I addded some dill pickle chips and had that. Lots of food and quite filling. Credit for good decisions.

I made less good decisions after our meeting tonight. I didn’t eat to uncomfortably full, so that’s a credit. And I ate less than I wanted to eat but more than I wanted to have eaten. Definitely not a win—but not complete mindless eating.

G’night all

—Beth
Old 02-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Arizona was organized as a territory (1863)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On occasion I've had a cramp in my calf when I woke up - we called it a 'Charlie horse' when I was a kid. After a bit of walking around, it goes away. Now I've got one that hasn't gone away in a week. DW, of course, says one goes to a doctor with such. I'm inclined to give it more time. It's hard for me to imagine saying to a doctor, "I have a cramp in my calf." I was able to walk a quarter-mile to the drug store for an errand. When I, accidently, decided to browse the local book store, they were having a reading of the kids' book, Noodlephant by Jacob Kramer - a fun book. Gotta consider that it's a tad revolutionary in spirit as the elephant organizes the other animals against the oppressive kangaroos. Have to consider that the DGD has some conservative relatives.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a turkey kale soup from Whole Foods that DW had bought for herself one evening when I was out. It was so good she went back and got some for us for a dinner. I doubt it was low calorie - being a thick white soup - but boy was it good. After dinner we watched Lost in Translation with Bill Murray. An easy watch - nothing to take home and agnst about. I did, however, fall asleep dreaming about Scarlett Johansson - she never happened on any of my business trips.

maryann - Kudos for the strategy of chewing gum while cleaning up.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the notion that you can see snow on the hills from your backyard. Crazy!

curlyjax - Congrats on that FAFSA done - you've worked hard to get there. Fun to be thinking about Scotland.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Yep, Kudos for good decisions about evening food. 8:30 is a bit late for dinner for me.

Penny. - Yep, if complaining makes progress happen, then complain, complain, complain.

Readers -
Quote:
day 2 Say Oh, Well, to Disappointment

At some point while you're still losing weight, you'll undoubtedly feel discouraged. It might happen today if the scale doesn't register the number you're hoping to see. It could happen tomorrow or next week when you're with friends and see them eating foods that you can't have. At some point, the disadvantages of dieting will seem to outweigh the advantages. You might feel resentful or even a little rebellious. Why do I have to do what this book says? There must be an easier way.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Inspired by bill's meatloaf and Penny's curry-raisin hummus, I made a meatloaf with curry, raisins, apples, onions and carrots. Wasn't sure how DS would react, but he really liked it, yay! It was only one pound of meat and there is one slice left over, so i must not have eaten too much. Also had roasted kale, and little baked potatoes. I was feeling true hunger later on and did indulge myself with a snack. I don't feel ready to be hungry yet, I know it isn't an emergency but I can't embrace it now.
My mom is getting worse, it should be soon. Lots of conversations with family yesterday about plans, checking in with each other etc.
I'm going to church today and hope to make it thru the sermon, i may end up just crying. I've been going there for 17 years and its great to have a place where I feel safe enough to do that. But somedays I just have to walk out if i'm too sad.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-24-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #131  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight did go down a smidge, 0.2 pound, which still leaves me 0.6 above the next decade.

I am having so much fun cooking these modern day vegan recipes! It was time to stock the fridge again so I made beans, sautéed bell peppers, and made a taco filling out of jackfruit. I have never even heard of jackfruit before and it is so great! DH thinks it tastes like chicken with the taco seasoning but I get a hint of artichoke hearts. Pretty good anyway.

I also have some whole carrots marinating for "not dogs". Lol the kids are really rolling their eyes at me.

Bill, from what I know about a charlie horse, I cannot imagine having one for an entire week! Just a few seconds had me screaming and hopping out of bed with one, until I figured out if I just point my toe toward my head it took it away. Maybe you should go talk to the doctor. They will check your labs most likely.

Beth, credit for pre-gaming with veggies. I'm sure being hungry would not have helped.

Curly, the meatloaf sounds interesting! Love to you and your family during these last days for your mom. I hope the hospice house is keeping her very comfortable.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon,
Yesterday went according to food plan even though nothing else follow the plan. Credit myself for avoiding family triggers. DS was amazing performing his solo with symphony and I swelled with pride. Today though I am hungrier than usual. I have eaten everything up to dinner and it is 2:00. No problem. I am satisfied and can rest today.

This is a good lesson for me. In highly emotion situations I must do less if I am to stay on plan. I must wish otherwise but it is what it is.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #133  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for small victories right now--and the fact that I left a party this evening thinking about a donut and then told myself 'no' and have only had more water is my win for this evening.

This is going to be a crazy busy week--I start PT tomorrow afternoon and I just seem to have a really long list of things I need to be working on...

--Beth
Old 02-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Dalai Lama flees Tibet for British India to escape Chinese troops (1959)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Found a plausible excuse not to go see a doctor for the cramp in my calf: Dr. Google listed ten causes; one was not consuming enough water. So, I'm off on my own medicinal cure - drinking more water. Seldom has the Web offered a simple solution to a real problem. We'll see.

It rained all day - the entire day. My standard Sunday walk became a drive even if I was capable of the walk. I did my best to avoid reality by refusing to carry an umbrella. I wore my raincoat and large rain hat. If that was good enough for Costa Rica, then it's good enough for around here. Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the leftover meatloaf. I slathered mine with my favorite Trader Joe's coarse mustard. DW slathered hers with ketchup. Both turned up our noses at the other. The good news is that the chocolate-raspberry tart that was saved for me last Tuesday is still there. I don't think about it. I have to have the last piece today or it'll get declared dead and fed to the worms in our compost bin. Don't know if dark chocolate is good for worms.

ETA: Changed date in title from 1910 to 1959. And it likely wasn't today, LOL.

maryann - Good grief! Your sweet, young, DS playing in front of a full orchestra. Kudos for being able to keep your parental pride in check.

curlyjax - That meatloaf does sound yummy. Congrats for raising a DS who's open to non-standard foods.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Ouch for a donut sneaking into your brain. Kudos for not stopping at Dunkin' Donuts and having at it.

Penny. - You made me google jackfruit - had never heard of it. It look humongous. Thanks for the reminder that a Charlie Horse goes away with pointing the toes toward the head. Fortunately, this thing isn't that level of pain.

Readers -
Quote:
day 2 Say Oh, Well, to Disappointment

It takes time to change a mindset that took years to form. Even though you now have many new skills to fight sabotaging thoughts and increase your confidence, you should expect to face times of doubt and disappointment.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-25-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #135  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I had better post this morning because I'm going on a most of the day hike. I'm doing the 15 mile hike in the preserve with a friend who wants to do it. Luckily it is in the southern part of the preserve because the other trailheads are still closed to protect the trails while they dry out a bit more. Yesterday I hiked with the Diva's group that came to town. We had two stream crossings over 2 x 6's, but they were partially submerged since the stream was high. Everybody made it without falling in. Some of those gals have a lot of weight to lose and I'm sure it was both difficult and nerve wracking. Hopefully it was also a motivator to know they did it and it could be easier. Food was a bit off plan, more like maintenance mode on Saturday. Yesterday was a bit better, but now time to be a bit more diligent if I hope to see some weight loss.

Bill I hope water is the answer to the leg cramp. That would be an easy fix.
Beth Any win is a win in my book. Good luck with managing your busy week.
Maryann That must be amazing to see your son perform. Sometimes I eat my food too early, but sometimes it just works out and then I'm not hungry.Penny Hoping you're down into the next decade today.
Curlyjax You're in my thoughts. Such a tough time.

I don't have to leave for my hike for a couple of hours, so I will get some planning done this morning and be off on the right foot for the week.
Closed Thread