Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 7 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday's challenge was picking up DD from college so she could work today. She has to work once a month to keep her job. We actually had a very nice time chatting away- until I looked up and realized we were in another state I don't know how I missed the turnoff to the turnpike! Anyhow, we got home about 40 minutes later than usual, but it was a very nice drive. I have to bring her back tomorrow and its going to snow, hopefully not too much.
I get so hungry when I have a cold. I went to Paneras last night for a quick dinner and was really hungry a few hours later, so I did eat some cereal before bed. But no sweets. I saw a comedy show with a friend too and it was pretty good. Although one guy made fun of himself too much for being fat- I don't like that as a topic of humor, even if its only aimed at oneself.
Karen-ha! I figured it wasn't too personal or you wouldn't have posted it. I forgot all about dental implants!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #92  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down a smidge.

My work day kinda fell apart yesterday so I baked bread. I used to bake all of our bread but got lazy. Apparently the kids are happy because I woke up to an entire loaf gone. I thought it was missing at first. Ha!

Beth, credit for being mindful with eating while out with friends.

Maryann, I'm sorry about the job stress. You seem like you talked yourself back to rational thinking quickly!

Bill, credit for the pound down! And kudos for not going crazy with the potluck food. I am missing sprouts too and my google research told me they were prone to e-coli or something?

Curly, lol at accidentally driving into another state. That must have been a focussed convo.

Karen, kudos for the long hike. Enjoy your day off...or gym.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

It felt good to have a solid OP day. I did some errands and treated myself to a pedicure. I don’t get color or anything but it is so nice to have nails shaped and foot scrubbed. Credit for yoga and treadmill. DH and I are going to drive to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. We have had a record snow dump and we want to see snow where it never usually falls.

Continue to read Factfulness which is a book I highly recommend if you ever feel down about the state of the world. Statistically speaking, we are far better off than we ever have been before. It doesn’t mean there aren’t things to change, it’s just an acknowledgment of major progress.

Happy 3 day weekend,

Last edited by maryann; 02-17-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #94  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Well I'm not going to the gym. I already know it. I've been to the grocery store and I'm going to make a large batch of split pea and ham soup that will make enough to freeze quite a bit. I'm also going to make a nice dinner for dh (and myself). I made a food plan and my goal is to stick to it without any extra nibbles. I haven't been as good as I could be on drinking my water, so that is on the plan too. I had a 3 liter Camelback with me on my hike yesterday and I think I only drank about a liter. It was not warm at all, but I thought I was drinking more than that. My weight loss is stalled and I'm sure it's from just a little extra here and there. Sometimes I feel like I should be satisfied with where I am now, but I am not happy with my lower abdomen and I don't want to carry any extra on the backpacking trips. I'm also wondering if I'm getting a Morton's neuroma in my foot. Occasionally I have some discomfort and I'm sure the less weight I have on it the better. I've got a call. Maybe more later.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - President's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Snow was predicted for last night; I can see an inch out there. There will be minor shoveling this morning. I did my homework reading about proteins, letting the word 'non-covalent bonds' sink in for the first time. Non-covalent means ionic or hydrogen bonds - quite obvious but I've never read the term before. I'm glad my body makes proteins. They're good stuff.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I did get into some dried figs that were leftovers from the previous night's potluck. They go down so easy even though they're just a sugar bomb.

maryann - Glad that California got some snow in the Sierra Nevadas. That stuff will be watering your trees this summer.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for the reminder to drink more water. I, too, am drinking less than I think makes sense because I don't remember if I'm not thirsty.

curlyjax - Yay for a good trip with your DD. No sweets is a good accomplishment.

Penny. - LOL at the missing loaf of bread. Yep, I've read about E. Coli in purchased sprouts. The ones I was served were homegrown from Alfalfa seeds.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In
Once I learn to use the number on the
scale as information, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 176.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday was pretty uneventful. I did not buy any sweets at drugstore or grocery store. At dinner time I did end up eating about 10 kisses that my daughter had bought. Fortunately they are going back to college with her today.It has snowed and may snow more later, so I'm a little nervous driving, plus its a holiday weekend, but it really is only 80 miles away (if you stay focused, ha!). so should go okay.

I was allowed to sit next to my male friend in church I feel like I'm back in high school-maybe I shouldn't sit next to him all the time, we're being quiet about dating each other, then a friend of mine saw me next to him and teased me-the jig is up! But its all fun, and very nice to have a companion for right now, with all the stuff happening with my mom. I repeatedly tell my kids that no one will ever replace their dad in my heart or in my life, I am NOT getting married again, but I need this now. They seem to get it, and they know my friend from church.
Penny- fresh bread is the best! That stuff is hard to stay out of.
Maryann- that sounds like a reassuring book. It is indeed helpful to get a big picture of the world, to help us get perspective again.
Karen-your soup sounds great- always good to have stuff in the freezer.
Bill-I think we got more than you, i see more than an inch! But its light fluffy snow, easy to shovel.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-18-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #97  

Good morning!

Yesterday was mostly on plan and weight is holding. I had my first weak moment in a long time.

I made my son a sandwich and my mouth was watering just making it. When he finished he left a corner unfinished and I ate it. It was hummus, cucumber and tomato, which I love. Usually I'm making PB&J which I don't like. The hummus is an oil free recipe that turned out so good!

Maryann, credit for the on plan day! The pedicure sounds so nice.

Karen, mmm I should make pea soup again soon. It's a good one!

Bill, that must have been a nice potluck with dried figs and home grown sprouts.

Curly, lol at the friend sleuthing out the new dating relationship. I'm glad you have him.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #98  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I didn't post last night so am making a quick post this morning.

Food was fine yesterday (still products) but I know I didn't drink enough water. I'll be working on that today. I have my first appointment with the counselor today about eating issues--I'm sort of excited about it and hope we work out a plan/approach that I can work through.

No exercise--barely left the couch yesterday. My knee (and the calf area) are doing poorly. I have an appt on Friday but I'm going to call and see if I can get in any sooner.

--Beth
Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #99  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan until dinner and then not so good. I had a couple of beers, a chicken pita sandwich without most of the pita and then too many dates and some ice cream. Today I'm reeling it back in. We had a long hike scheduled for today, but it was cancelled due to rainy cold weather. I'm so glad I did a nice long one on Saturday. I'll so some exercise, but it won't be as much. Other than that I'm doing some planning for this summer's backpacking trips. I'm entering the John Muir Trail in one place and a gal I will hike with is entering 8 days later 60 miles further down the trail. I'm hoping to take a day off before I meet her at a place called Muir Trail Ranch which has real beds, showers and meals. I tell you it is a lot of planning and then there is the hiking to do. It's fun, but I get a bit anxious even in the planning stage. We'll see how it all comes together.

Beth I hope you find the counselor very helpful. I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes.
Penny You have done so well and I'm so glad your weak moments are few and far between.
Curlyjax Good luck with the drive.
Bill There is even snow here in the Superstitions that I hiked in last week. It is absolutely crazy.
Maryann From my hiking sites it sounds like the Sierra Nevada is getting plenty of snow. I just spoke with my cousin this morning and said I think I'll try for a permit for the High Sierra Trail on 7/19, which is a week later than I was thinking. A person never knows when it is the best time to go between the snow, high water creek crossings and then the fires.

I can't remember the last time I gave you all a Barrett update. He is grams below five pounds now. He is on oxygen by nasal cannula, but apparently it is a kind of cpap too. I wasn't aware of that from the photos. As soon as he is off that they can start teaching him about sucking. At this point he still has a tube for feeding. It was from his mouth, but he tongued it out so it is now down his nose into his stomach. Anyway he continues to be a little miracle and even has some chub on his little body.

I hope you all have a great start to the week.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #100  

Thoroughly enjoying my extra morning off. I spent awhile by the fire meal planning. If I intend to retire in a year and a half I must start being a little more dollar conscious. I have been a relative free spender since going back full time three years ago. DH and I took a belated Valentines trip up to a quaint little B and B town and I bought a fab, light weight longer hoodie duster. It feels good to take care of myself. But I need to be extra careful with the rest of the budget. It is a fun little challenge which will include baking bread like Penny and using my pressure cooker to cook lots of free beans from our coop. Of course the oranges will give us lots of vitamins.Then there is the fair pig with Awesome bacon.

OP yesterday. Yoga and a walk this morning. Food plan which includes an afternoon treat.

Good luck Beth with the knee and the counselor. I know there is a solution for both.

BBE: our friends in the Sierra are now snow blowing their ROOF.

Curleyjax: credit for no stops with sweets.

Last edited by maryann; 02-18-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #101  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I had my first appointment with the therapist today--just a 'getting acquainted' meeting--we have another appt next week.

For food, I dared myself to go out to dinner and make good decisions--to start getting myself into eating a 'reasonable' meal without binging. This sounds like a weird place to make good decisions, but I went to Portillo's, ordered a hot dog, and then a side salad WITHOUT the extra piece of bread that comes with it. I wanted that bread, but since I didn't take it, I couldn't eat it. I didn't miss fries at all. When I was done, I REALLY wanted something sweet--they had muffins and I was craving donuts. I left without a muffin and then I called my BFF and talked myself through deciding that I was going to go to the post office (planned) and then home without any additional food. The craving was pretty strong but it passed. All I've had since I've come home is a lot of water--and now that it's getting towards bed time, I'm glad I didn't have anything additional--I wasn't hungry, I didn't need it, and the dinner I did have was good.

I have to remember that there are daily habits that are good for me and I need to be doing them more days than not:
  • Posting here
  • Reading my cards
  • Reading random pages from Beck and other diet/maintenance books
  • Weighing

Exercise is going to wait until I see what the orthopedist says on Friday. (Not quite--he is going to say "Let's schedule an MRI and then we'll decide what to do").

--Beth

Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #102  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - The astronomer Copernicus born (1473, Torun, Poland)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Breakfast included half a Trader Joe's baguette. It had a touch of sourdough taste - that I absolutely love - more than just the classic French baguette taste. Nevertheless, it contained flour and water - the standard baguette list of ingredients. That's processed white flour to be sure that contains all the calories of real flour and no nutrients. Every now and then such happens.

Our one inch of snow was actually about three inches. I spent some time out there shoveling away including chipping the ice from before that I hadn't fully cleared away a week ago, CREDIT moi. Need to remind myself that snow will melt with a brief period of warm weather but ice created by stepping on snow lasts for a long, long time. Oh, Well.

maryann - Congrats for sitting quietly to plan ahead. LOL at "snow blowing their ROOF."

Karen (karenrn) - I continue to get excited about your upcoming John Muir Trail adventure. So neat to hear that Barrett even has a little chub to make him seem getting healthy.

curlyjax - Hope the delivery of your DD went without incident despite the snow. Congrats for being open with your kids about your life.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Sending supportive thoughts toward the knee so you can get going full bore. Kudos for sane eating at the restaurant.

Penny. - A part of a sandwich of hummus, cucumber and tomato isn't the end of the world. Sounds tasty.

Readers -
Quote:
Week 4 Respond to Sabotaging Thoughts

How are your weight-loss efforts going so far? I hope you're using your Cognitive Therapy skills daily. Some are probably automatic by now. Some are probably still difficult for you. For example, it probably still takes a lot of effort to plan and monitor what you eat, to tolerate cravings, and to use good eating habits. Other skills might still require considerable thought and energy, too. You might need to go back frequently to reread previous material in this book. Stick with it! Your skills will become more and more automatic with each passing day. As you keep practicing, they'll all become second nature. At that point, everything will be much, much easier for you.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 178.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #103  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. Today I'm heading out to hike with the gal who is planning to do the High Sierra Trail with me this summer. Also I've seen quite a few smaller dogs on the trail, so I'm going to try to take Otis on part of Sunrise after lunch. It isn't as rocky as some of the others and he goes to the groomer's tomorrow. My food is planned for the day, but I will need to stop at the store on the way home from my hike. It is very easy to know what to buy since I mostly eat the same breakfast and lunch every day, but I go through a heck of a lot of turkey. I guess I could buy it and put it in the freezer, but I just buy a few days worth at a time.

Bill I love sourdough bread. My Dad used to fly to San Francisco for half of every week when he met with Bechtel to design part of the aluminum plant where he worked. Each time he would bring home sour dough bread from the airport. Yummy.
Beth I don't think there is any place that is weird to make a good decision. I think the main thing is that we need to be accountable to ourselves and follow through with what we plan to do. Good job!
Maryann I have really had to cool my jets in the spending department since retiring. I just decided I would rather have the time than the money. Luckily my hobby is pretty inexpensive and I'm not too big into shopping. Mind you I used to be, but now I really have to think about my priorities.

We're having sunny weather today and tomorrow; cold and sunny. It has been 15 to 20 degrees below normal temperatures for this time of year. I don't even see a 70 degree temp in the next 10 days. Oh well.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #104  

In response to a scale that continues to creep up, I finally looked at my food journal. This is a first even though that it what food journals are for. I thought in the last two weeks I only had some minor slips spaced apart. Now I see I have had many large departures and a few binges. Almost all in response to external anxiety.
I have made changes in the food plan. It is not a forever change but it will help, I hope, for the short term.

Like Beth, I am glad I post here.

Last edited by maryann; 02-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #105  

Good morning!

Yesterday was a little over budget and weight is holding. Tonight might be a little over budget too because my SIL bought me and DH tickets to a show and I'll have a drink before.

Last night was over budget because I made a bigger spread for dinner of vegan mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and a lentil veggie loaf. We ate at the table, fancy! We all eat separately usually.

Beth, credit for controlled eating at the restaurant. I hope the therapist is a good fit.

Bill, the snow shoveling sounds like a good workout. Kudos!

Karen, you must be very close to the trailheads to do two hikes and grocery shopping in one day. Have fun!

Maryann, credit for meal planning and identifying the problem eating. I have to log everything on a calorie counting app because I could mindlessly pop all kinds of calories into my mouth. Satiation does not seem to guide me at all.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-19-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Closed Thread