Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My interview went fairly well I think, although they gave me some of those scenario questions which I detest, not sure if I gave them the answers they wanted. I should know next week- and then there would be a meet and greet! This process is never ending. I'm not sure if they do that with the last 2 candidates or what. I really can't lose my job over this if someone finds out I'm looking around.
Right after that I had to put on a lunch for 30 folks which was exhausting, but I had lined up my helpers so it went smoothly, even though there were too many cooks in the kitchen. Chinese food so not the healthiest. Dinner was healthier and made by my friend which was nice.I did buy some really good chocolates to share with DS but they are mostly gone. Back to eating sanely today.
Beth- I would be happy to take your number but I occasionally fall out of sight myself I will pm you later.
Penny- too funny about bacon excitement! I can totally relate to that! Amazing how your food tastes can change so much.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-15-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #77  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I had my message half way typed and then I clicked on Restore Auto Saved Content and there was my message from yesterday and not today. I guess I won't click on that again. Anyway, my Valentines present yesterday is that I will be getting my first implant. The good news is that it isn't quite as expensive as I anticipated. Food was on plan yesterday with salad and one piece of pizza at lunch. The pizza is very thin crust with not much cheese, so I felt pretty good about that. I wanted more, but just reminded myself that I had one piece on my plan. We didn't play Mahjongg in the afternoon because my friend ended up being sick, so that gave me more time at home and I made a nicer dinner for Valentine's Day. It was going to be leftovers, which dh is fine with, but I felt much better about having something nice. He is such a super husband. Today's plan includes getting the tax information ready for the CPA and going to the gym. Actually I can drop the information off and stop at the gym on the way home. I got on the scale this morning, but not until I had two cups of coffee and it was down to close to the low again. Food plan isn't written, but I know what's on it.

Curlyjax I'm glad you felt good about the interview. What is it about the new position that would be better than what you are doing now? Pay, hours, the work itself?
Bill My friend told me about a site on the internet to practice Mah johngg. It's called myjongg.net. I think there are lessons and then I've played with three computer people to practice. The one thing you will need is the MahJongg card. I am using the 2018 card, because I think the new one doesn't come out until April. It's $9 and has the rules and the official standard hands which change each year. I am not good on strategy at all, so I'm hoping playing this way will help me identify possible hands to go for.
Beth I am so sorry you are having a tough time. I sent you a private message and I do notice when you're gone. Like Curlyjax I am sometimes gone for a few days too and at one time it was much longer than that. I'm wondering if the plan you are on is contributing to the all or nothing thinking. I know each one of us needs a little something different though. I have wanted quite restrictive things in the past and now I feel like I don't.
Maryann Happy for you that you got a good scale drop. I hear you about the restaurant meals. I was so sure I would be up today from the pizza and salad out. I know it helps to be drinking lots of water, but I haven't been perfect with that. I sure hope you can escape being sick. I would imagine you have a pretty good immune system from being around the students so much.
Penny Wow a month already on the vegan diet. That's impressive. You must be finding that you like it.
GardenerJoy Your salad sounds delicious. I hope you found a new phone too. Much more exciting than my Valentine's Day present.

I hope you all have a great day.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #78  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was a little over plan with cauliflower crust pizza for dinner and weight was up a smidge. I had more pizza for breakfast and finished it up. My pizza cravings have been satisfied!

Two more vegan meals are prepped and in the fridge to get through my three day work weekend: tortilla bake and an Italian white bean and basil soup.

Beth, I'm so sorry you are struggling. That's my M.O too. I drop off and pack it on quickly. Need a replacement for your food anxiety med.

Bill, what was the company you used for genetic testing that included possible relatives? Credit for the on plan day.

Curly, excellent that the interview felt good and is done. That is great that your friend made dinner. I love that!

Karen, now you're making me want to try Mahjong. I'm glad you had a nice day. Kudos for getting back closer to your low weight again.

Maryann, credit for dodging all the Valentine's candy yesterday!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I followed my plan yesterday -- credit! I passed the half-way mark for exercise, mid-way through our short month -- credit!

Exercise: +50, 505/1000 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: DH is really into the ancestry stuff, but he's gone off into statistical analysis of DNA and finds that fascinating. I'd rather being doing the library research part of it.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Glad to read everyone’s check in.

Good news is I haven’t caught the bug that really hit the boys. It is quite possible I am Typhoid Mary seeing 100 kids a day.

Challenge news: the last period of the day the room I taught in had homemade treats and before I even seemed to make a decision, I started eating while teaching. I made a different choice quickly and dropped the planned treat from the menu. I spent most of the day OP so I should call it a win. What troubles me is I continue to eat at these moments way past satisfied and almost always with sugar. It is as if I believe eating that sugar will transport me out of the moment to a quiet place of relaxation. Interesting. If that is the case, meditation would be the answer. I am trying to think how to meditate with 30 kids around me

Weight is up a half pound but no big plans this week and I won’t let sugar in the house. Plan is made. BTW I went to my first yoga class in 3 years since I started PT and I loved it.

Personals tomorrow When I have my computer out.
Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 02-15-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #81  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Today has been an appropriate day--food and water wise. A few moments of temptation but I got through them :-)

I'm wearing my knee brace again, which slows me down, but that is the general idea after all. I have an appt with an orthopedist next Friday. I thought it was doing better but it buckled 3 times this morning--that is not a good sign.

I'm planning on sticking with products this weekend, but think Karen is right about me being in a bad pattern. We'll see what the therapist says on Monday--I give myself credit for recognizing there's an issue and making an appointment.

--Beth
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - 9th recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet (374 C.E.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Shopping for flowers for a hostess gift for dinner at the home of DS. It's in between seasons - not much available that's appealing. Found a bunch of fall color whatevers that sufficed at Whole Foods. The floral parts of stores look like Valentine's Day leftovers. We bought Sumo Mandarins for dessert - they're just the best orange ever.

Exercise was some more ice chipping for the stuff that I didn't clear before that I assumed the warm weather would clear for me. It's not like I'm new to planet earth. The slightly warm weather did not clear the packed ice in my driveway where we stepped on the slushy snow to make solid ice. It might be there for the duration. Procrastination doesn't always pay, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for your consistent success with your exercise plan.

maryann - Yay for getting back to yoga. LOL at Typhoid Mary.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the loss of your typed response via the Restore feature. Thanks for the link to learning about Mahjongg.

curlyjax - Congrats for a successful second interview. Do like, "Back to eating sanely today."

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for getting back to posting. Hope that knee brace works.

Penny. - What could be better than pizza for breakfast? We did the Ancestry.Com DNA test. I know that there are several - must have had some reason to do this one but it's not the one that tells you how much Neanderthal you have which DW wanted.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
How do you feel about weighing yourself tomorrow: excited? anxious? fearful? Many dieters tell me that they fear the scale. If you do, too, you might think of excuses for not weighing yourself.
You may need to make Response Cards. If you think you may have any of the following thoughts. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I don't want to weigh myself; I think I've gained weight.

Helpful Response: I may or may not have gained weight. If I have, it's not the end of the world, but I do need to know so I can figure out what to do. I need to get over my fear of the scale. It's very important that I not avoid facing facts.
​​​​​
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 176.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

okay it wasn't back to sane eating yesterday. I felt so lousy at work, and i got into cookies there.I was thinking about going home sick but made it through. I think i'm finally starting to feel a little better today.
I forgot if I posted my mom fell last week and broke her wrist. She is now in a hospice house, because my dad just can't manage her at home like that. He was also starting to have his own anxiety/heart pounding issues. Now he feels guilty, depressed but physically better. It's funny how much I can relate,l I felt bad when I sent my DH to a hospice place but I couldn't manage it at home. Anyhow its a good decision. I hope to go visit in a few weeks.
Karen- what kind of implant are you getting? the new job would be better pay, but more importantly much more interesting- broader, more challenging, more co-workers, but still working with elders. Its a town job so i guess they are super careful about who they hire.
Bill- my friend gave me some kind of special oranges for dessert on V-Day and waxed lyrically about them
Penny- cauliflower pizza sounds fabulous, i keep meaning to make it. I love the fact that one can even buy a crust already made!!
Beth-good job getting back on track and seeing a therapist. Hang in there!
Maryann-It's always the sugar for me too, it truly is addictive.Good job for changing your treat plan.
Joy-great job on exercise.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-16-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #84  

Good morning coaches,

Curlyjax I'm getting a darned dental implant. I'm losing a tooth. When I read your post I thought you might be thinking I'm getting breast implants and laughed.
I'll post more later today. I'm having breakfast and then my husband is dropping me at a trailhead at one end of the preserve and I'll hike to my car. It'll be about 15 miles. I'm signed up for a long hike on Monday, but it looks like it may rain, so I'll do this one today. If it doesn't rain I'll go Monday too.

Karen
Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my plan yesterday -- credit!

Today's challenge is a potluck. My usual strategy is to focus on the veggies and take tiny servings of everything else. My contribution is applesauce bread pudding, which is dessert-like, but substantially lower in fat and somewhat lower in sugar than a typical dessert.

I'm proud of myself for asking for a ride to the event. Our steep driveway will clear itself this afternoon (I'll help it along during my exercise, if needed--especially after reading BillBlueEyes experience of re-freezing), but it won't be clear in time for me to safely drive down it when I want to. I put out a request on Facebook for a lift and had an offer a minute later.

Exercise: +35, 540/1000 minutes for February
Old 02-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #86  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Maryann, the yoga sounds great! I should try it again.

Bill, thanks for the ancestry dna info.

Beth, credit for getting back on plan.

Curly, I hope your dad can let the guilt go and get some rest in between visits. Sorry about your mom's wrist. Ouch!

Karen, 15 miles sounds substantial to me. Have fun!

Joy, the dessert sounds yummy! It's always convenient to bring our own safer foods.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-16-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was the roughest food day I have had since Christmas Eve. After one of my classes, the new Assistant Superintendent of the district met me ( I didn't recognize her ) to tell me my pilot art program was being cut for next year. Art is always the first thing to go. I am officially a displaced teacher. All of this is not really dramatic in the least logically. I have job rights and a VERY low tenure number so I get first pick of what is out there. Still, I had some big feelings that didn't match the circumstance. That always seems to be the way. My feelings have no perspective. So I dived into sugar and didn't come up for air until I went to bed. I am embarrassed to write it here. I had hoped I knew better by now.

Thank you to Beth for being brave enough to come back and tell the truth. That is really all any of us can do. BBE: Your Beck snippet was right on track. I didn't want to weigh but I told myself it was not the end of the world. I am three pounds above ticker. I am off to yoga and then a walk on the treadmill at an incline. Food is planned which includes one orange from the three thirty pound sacks of oranges we get off our tree. They are terrific this year.

One thing I have always known it is not how often I slip off track but how quickly I hop back on.

Karen: 15 miles is nearly unfathomable to me. I did 15 miles with a pack in three days. Good for you.
Gardenerjoy: The ice is super scary.
Penny: Keep on keeping on.
Curleyjax: Congrats for continuing to put yourself out there in the world with new challenges. Very brave.

Last edited by maryann; 02-16-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #88  

Good afternoon coaches,

I had a good hike today which makes everything good. I had been eyeing a section that did switchbacks up a hill in the distance from where I sometimes hike and I did that section today. It wasn't exactly a short cut, it may have even made the hike longer than the way I went last time, but I always feel like going up the hills gets me stronger. I ate a protein bar and about 1/4 of a PB&J on the hike for fuel. I had lots more with me, but because I probably had about 5 large dates after dinner last night and 2 beers I really didn't need any more. I ate my apple on the way home and had an ounce of cheese when I got home. Mainly I didn't really want the PB&J, but it packs well. Tomorrow I won't hike but maybe, big maybe, I'll go to the gym.

Maryann I'm sorry about your day yesterday. It sounds like you were caught totally off guard. I may not feel exactly how you do about those kind of things, but I remember times when my responses were not at all equivalent to the news I got. But you are right about how quickly you get back on plan and I don't think there is anything more important than that.

Penny You are amazing with your consistency in following your plan.

GardenerJoy Good luck at the potluck. About the only ones I ever go to are with my former co-workers and they are difficult cause the food is always so good.

Curlyjax I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. What a difficult time. I hope she is getting excellent care and your Dad can see that it is a good place for her to be. End of life is not an easy thing for sure.

Bill Ice chipping sounds like tough exercise. i hope you're careful out there.

Beth I'm glad you had a day that was easier for you. I give you lots of credit for recognizing there is a problem and for posting here. I spent my hike listening to podcasts on weight loss (the mental stuff mostly) and music. It is never far from my mind.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #89  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Quick post because, I confess, I'm a little tipsy--but I'm posting before going to bed.

We went out with friends tonight, and I made really good dinner choices. I forgot to ask for my burger to not have a bun--but I took it off and didn't eat more than a bite of it. I ordered salad instead of fries and only had one stole waffle fry. I had 3 glasses of red wine over the 5 hours we were there :-) but didn't order sweets, didn't order anything fried, and definitely made food choices that fit with what I want to do for myself.

karenrn, I'm taking your words to heart--and wondering if my extreme denial is part of what's leading to binging, so I'm going to let myself eat some real food occasionally as part of my transition-and see what the therapist says on Monday.

In knee news, my knee is getting worse. It's worse today than yesterday--even wearing the brace around the house. I don't want to have to use a cane at home--but I might have to. I'm glad I still have the handicap placard from my knee surgery two years ago. The doctor approved a 5 year tag. I haven't used it since my knee recovered from my last surgery (except when driving my elderly aunt) but it's coming in handy now that walking is painful and I know I need to take it easy.

We'll be home all day tomorrow so I might stick with products again, but I think that I need to be thinking about at least one meal a day as part of adjusting to real food and not whipsawing back from over deprivation.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 02-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Giacomo Puccini's opera "Madama Butterfly" premieres (1904, Milan)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Watched the 1960's movie Advise and Consent with friends last night. Recognized a bunch of the names: Henry Fonda, Walter Pidgeon, Peter Lawford. But had to have the guy with his iPhone searching for the cast list to spot who was who. They were all so young. The movie was SO dated. There were twin beds in the young couple's bedroom. The Chevys were just gorgeous with big fins and big grills. It's great to get to movies that old - despite not having seen any of the current movies, either.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I had one plate at our potluck dinner even as I watched a friend go back for seconds of the mac-and-cheese. I had a bunch of the chopped cabbage salad topped with home-grown bean sprouts. I love bean sprouts and miss that they've fallen out of favor. Scale wiggled one pound down this morning. CREDIT moi for weighing despite being sure that I'd be a pound up.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Applesauce bread pudding sounds like a fun dessert without being too much sugar.

maryann - Ouch for the machinations of teaching life. Sugar always waves its hand as the solution to any problem.

Karen (karenrn) - It's great to have a DH who'll drive you to one end of the trailhead. Hope the hike went well.

curlyjax - Sounds like your father is making sane decisions about your mom's care. Hope you feel better.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for good dinner choices and for continuing to work your eating plan to find your right path.

Penny. - Yay for onplan.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
How do you feel about weighing yourself tomorrow: excited? anxious? fearful? Many dieters tell me that they fear the scale. If you do, too, you might think of excuses for not weighing yourself.
You may need to make Response Cards. If you think you may have any of the following thoughts. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I'll feel terrible if the number on the scale goes up!

Helpful Response: I'll only feel terrible if I let my sabotaging thoughts convince me that I'm bad or weak for gaining weight. At worst, gaining weight means I might have made mistakes that I can correct during this coming week.
​​​​​
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 176.
Closed Thread