Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 5 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #61  
persist

S/C/G: 296/286/145

Height: 5' 6"

Default Snow Day

Coaches

Wicked storm here today. Started late last night and still going 24hrs later. Wind and snow and ice pellets and overnight freezing rain. So glad we haven't had a power outage. DH went to work. Said the traffic was light so even though it was a little dicey at least there was space to course correct. We have had several storms now with significant accumulations of ice pellets. They are strange. When there is more than an inch it's like walking through loose beach sand. But it's tiny grains of ice. Walking outside is a no no for sure. Underneath all the new stuff that fell was the old stuff that froze. Just waiting for the sun to hurry up into pur hemisphere a bit more already.

Come on Earth, turn!

Weightwise I finally dropped. 284.6 This reflects a more consistent attention to my food and a getting back on track focus. I am also newly motivated as my Print Collective has been invited to do a steamroller printmaking event at the Coldwater Steampunk Festival (the largest in the world!) and I want to wear a steampunk outfit of some sort. Being smaller would help me with that. It will also help me deal with the summer heat. Last year it was close to 40C every weekend! Much too much! The event is in August so that's several months I have to focus on getting into better shape. I am beyond excited. This printmaking group is the best thing I have been involved in in years. Just fantastic for me.

https://www.steampunkfestivalcoldwat...steampunk-2018

Keep warm or cool!

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-12-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Tycho Brahe first sketches "Tychonic system" of solar system (1578)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Neat class on the cell. It's such a little thing, hard to believe that there's so much going on in there. I think I know something about the cell, but each time through more layers of complexity seem to appear. Years ago I fell in love with mitochondria - the organelles within the cell that convert fructose into ATP that provides energy to move our muscles. I still think they're pretty special; grateful as my fingers type these letters that each muscle moved gets the energy to do so from ATP. Thanks mitochondria!

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was Cod - a while fish without its own fishy taste. DW puts a seasoned crumb covering on it before broiling it. So it tastes like seasoned crumbs. Made me long for smoked mackerel.

onebyone - Ouch for the wicked storm with stuff accumulating on top of old ice. Tycho Brahe is in my title today to help with "Come on Earth, turn!"

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Waking up hungry is a great sign of having lived a modest life the day before.

maryann - Kudos for a nice stretch of sticking to your 24 hours plan.

Karen (karenrn) - Sad news about your friend. Hope his trip to Germany works well. Kudos for recognizing that you didn't have to do the boulder hopping.

curlyjax - Yep, the ice storm arrived. I'm typing fast because I need to get out and shovel/scrap our cars and sidewalks. Kudos for pushing away those sweets.

Penny. - That's a lot of cycling - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

If it turns out that you've gained weight, ask yourself the following questions: . . .

What makes me think that I'll lose weight every week? Most people lose some weight, reach a plateau, lose a little more, gain a little back, lose some more, reach another plateau, and so on. Why would I be any different?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 175.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

My agency ended up closing early yesterday which was great- I got home early and didn’t need to use any vacation time. DS was hoping for delayed opening in school but it’s all just slush now so he went off on time, this morning so quietly I didn’t even hear him. My neighbor had plowed some of our driveway last night- I don’t go out in the dark and it wasn’t that bad yet but very sweet of him. I always feel a bit guilty when I’m not out there first thing and they are plowing away.
I am home today and my priority is prepping for my interview tomorrow morning, can’t wait to get this over with. I really don’t know what happens on a second interview, or what random questions to prep for.
Karen- your friend must be feeling pretty good if he can get to Germany, that’s great. It’s going to be tough on the wife for sure.
Onebyone- steampunk festival sounds like a great motivator! What fun. I went to a small scale version of that around here a few years ago.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-13-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #64  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is an afternoon meeting that may go on for hours. We're going to try to work out what discipline data the school district should be reporting publicly. I'm the least proficient person with data of the three of us working on this, so I think my role is to play the math-phobic public and make sure that it's data that means something to people who don't get data.

Anyway, I'll bring a water bottle and politely turn down any offers of food.

Exercise: +25, 405/1000 minutes for February

Penny: Yes, I still do one or two salads a day. I was diagnosed with IBS in my 20s and cured it with lots of fiber, so my stomach's pretty used to it.

curlyjax: Here's my interviewing advice -- choose 3 to 5 stories that you really want to tell about successful past projects. Then, in the interview, the trick isn't so much to answer the questions, it's to figure out how to connect the questions to one of those 5 stories so that you can tell it. Watch any good politician on the news to see how it's done -- they sometimes blatantly ignore the question to say what they want to say and they still come across as smart and well-informed.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

Quick check in: Raining here. Seems preferable to ice storms everywhere else. OP yesterday but scale holds on stubbornly. Oh Well. Gym is a no choice even though I have a glitch in the hip. Any exercise is better than none, though.
Joy: interesting about student data. I didn’t realize there was a choice. Most things seem mandated. Teaches here fought for the right to know discipline history but students are under no obligation for instance to declare medical history.

I have discovered podcasts. I know I am late in the game. So far they seem very amateurish.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #66  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with cycling class, and weight is down another 0.2 pound smidge. Just six pounds away from my last low before I started packing it on again.

Onebyone, that sounds icy and cold! The steampunk fest looks fun. Credit for the weightloss.

Bill, credit for on plan eating. The fish sounds tasty.

Maryann, credit for sticking to plan. Hopefully the scale won't make you wait too long for results.

Curly, I hope you are feeling better and I'm glad you got to come home early yesterday. Good luck with the second interview!

Joy, good luck with the long meeting.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #67  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food is on plan and exercise was a moderate 5 mile hike in the nearby preserve. I was so excited to see a good friend for coffee yesterday. He is a fellow I worked with in Washington and then he moved down here about 8 years ago. We have done a ton of hiking together and then he married and we all hiked together until his feet began to be a problem and he had to shorten the hiking. Anyway, he has been happy for me that I found a group that did the big hikes that we used to do. So, we get to chatting and then he tells me he is going in for an angiogram in a week. Yikes I'm getting old and so are my friends. I really am going to keep with my strenuous hiking and do as many of the backpacking trips as I'm able to do this summer (I hope I can do them), cause I guess we never know what can go wrong and when. He has been doing short strenuous hikes, like Camelback, and has begun to have chest pain. No strenuous activity until he is really been evaluated.
Penny You have been so regimented and I'm sure you have learned so much that there won't be any packing it on this time.
Maryann There are so many podcasts though. I listen to some and then change it up. I've listened to some great hiking ones and like some of the TED talks.
GardenerJoy I think I've developed ADHD. There is no way I could sit at a meeting for hours.
Curlyjax Good luck on the interview tomorrow morning. I'm glad you got some extra time off to prepare.
Bill The human body is simply amazing that's for sure.
Onebyone The Steampunk Festival looks really fun. That is something to look forward to for sure.
Beth Just thinking of you and hoping all is well.

I have not even cleaned up yet today. I've been so cold. It's 62 degrees and cloudy. I've got the bathroom warming and time to get in the shower. I have really turned in to a wimp.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Valentine's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. To do that, I had to shovel some heavy snow that threatened to either melt on its own or to turn to ice - take your choice of weather predictions. (We've had so little snow this year I can't complain - other than snow shoveling is how we get to chat with our neighbors.) At an indoor play space that we'd never been to before, she demanded that I climb up on the wooden ship in the middle of the room. Then, playing the big bad wolf, I had to huff and puff and try to blow the house in. Note: the ship converted to a house at her convenience. Then I had to slide down the fire pole of the ship into a pot of boiling water and then run out the door - a door that was deliberately only three feet tall to discourage adults from entering.

The best part of that visit was to discover the used store in the corner. Picked up Giraffes Can't Dance for $3. Spent the next period of time asserting that I'd bought the book for myself while she argued that it was a book for her. Remind me that I can't win a debate with a 3-year-old, LOL. Play was interrupted to read the book and have a little rest.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, spending several hours of the evening at a meeting discussing money to be distributed - a much better activity than spending time in an organization wondering how to get money. The snacks I'd brought ended up at the other end of the table so I happily watched my friend nibble on the trail mix containing dark chocolate that I couldn't reach.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Figuring out what data to keep so that the students are protected from future misuse is a major challenge. Kudos for an advance plan to turn down offers of food.

maryann - Please keep the notion of podcasts a secret from me. I fear getting addicted to them because I'm a big fan of skim reading over stuff of less interest.

Karen (karenrn) - You certainly know how to tweak your ice-belt friends, "I've been so cold. It's 62 degrees and cloudy," LOL. Ouch for confronting that your friends are aging.

curlyjax - Good luck with your interview today. I'll be beaming thoughts that you're a good person.

Penny. - Yay for another cycling class. Pretty soon you'll be ready to bike to Boston.

Readers -
Quote:

If it turns out that you've gained weight, ask yourself the following questions: . . .

What do I need to review with my diet coach? Do I need his or her help in keeping this weight gain in perspective?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #69  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning,

Very quick post.
Food is on plan, but I know the portion sizes could be smaller. I'll try for that today. I've got a full day of seeing the periodontist for the first time this morning . . . yuck, lunch out with my former co-workers and then playing mahjong for a couple of hours this afternoon.
I'm not even going to plan any exercise.

More tomorrow.

Last edited by karenrn; 02-14-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #70  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's meeting got cancelled at the last minute, which was more challenging to my food plan than if it had gone on as planned. Changed plans often throw me for a loop. It's a good thing most of my days do go, more or less, according to plan. I'm not going to worry too much about the days that don't -- If I avoid binges on those days, I'm doing pretty well. And, I did.

Our Valentine's Day plans are lunch out at a place with a good salad -- warm tenderloin tips over a bowl of mostly raw spinach but some of the spinach is flash-fried and crispy. I ask for it with about half the normal cheese.

Then, we're going window-shopping for a new phone for me because the back light is going out on mine. We haven't decided if we're going to buy from the AT&T store, our normal procedure, or get an "unlocked" phone directly from Samsung. DH got into this a couple of years ago, for a while, so we have some options that I don't fully understand.

We also get to take a walk on an unseasonably warm day.

Exercise: +50, 455/1000 minutes for February

maryann: we're looking for totals of discipline data, disaggregated by the various subgroups and re-aggregated in some cases. One of our local universities did a study about the combination of AfricanAmerican and IEP that showed enormous risk for disproportionate discipline (so high, in fact, that they re-checked their data because it was in the range of fudged data, not actual social science). That might be unique to our region because we do special needs services in an unusual way -- it works well in some ways but other things slip between the cracks of two different, complex systems.
My favorite "podcasts" are actually radio shows because I get annoyed at the amateur sound production. I like to listen to BBC and NPR shows. I've also found that the Radiotopia (https://www.radiotopia.fm/) podcasts are well done.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #71  

Food OP save for a few nibbles. Scale dropped the two extra pounds. Phew. I have canceled a V Day dinner out because it takes me all week to recover from a restaurant dinner. I will switch it up for a movie,

Both boys are sick. I am thankful I have escaped so far.

Joy: I have seen versions of that data. It is so difficult to understand it in isolation from socio economic factors. Our district is trying to attack excessive disciplinary measures with teaching students ways to calm themselves down. My school is one big subgroup - nearly 70% low income Hispanic. It will be interesting to see the success data,
Old 02-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #72  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

The kids excitedly found a package of bacon in the garage freezer, so I am going to surprise them with chocolate pancakes and bacon for breakfast. I have eaten vegan for a month now and am no longer missing my morning egg! Crazy turn of events in my life. lol

Curly, fingers crossed for the interview!

Karen, kudos for on plan eating and yesterday's hike. I hope everything goes okay with your friend's angiogram.

Bill, kudos for the active play with your DGD and the snow shoveling. That counts as an active day in my book!

Joy, credit for not going crazy with eating after your meeting was canceled. Your Valentine's plans sound very nice.

Maryann, credit for the two pound loss! Your school demographic sounds like the town I live in. We homeschool but if they did do the elementary school, they could have possibly done the Spanish immersion schooling which has been so great for the kids who got to join.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-14-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #73  

Lunch check in. The school is filled with a bunch of red and white cr** candy making everyone crazy. I am eating yummy planned lunch. I have a sweet treat waiting for me at home. Yeah!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #74  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

I've fallen off the face of the earth--and off my diet, off all of my plans. I literally ate for 2 weeks straight. (Yeah, I know what 'literally' means). My 2 week weigh in showed a 19 lb gain. Yes--in 2 weeks.

I am really discouraged--the meal replacements work well for me, in terms of losing weight, but as soon as I start eating again, I eat non-stop. Snacks, sweets, carbs, bread. I've made an appointment with someone who specializes in eating disorders. This isn't an education problem--I know exactly how I'm supposed to be eating and how to transition to food. I was hoping to be starting to have breakfasts occasionally, but instead I'm back to all products for the rest of February and I'll see what the counselor says when I meet with her on Monday.

I'd like to ask if any of you would be willing to take my phone number and call me if I disappear again? I think it would have helped me if I'd kept posting--stopping posting is really a bad thing for me--it takes away some of my accountability.

I never thought of myself of having a real eating disorder before--but this sure seems like it to me :-(

G'night all.

--Beth

p.s. I wrenched my knee Saturday--I'm pretending I don't need to wear the brace anymore but given that it's buckled twice on me today I probably do.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Susan B Anthony, worked on equal rights for women, born (1820, Adams, Mass)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included, as usual, the library to return the book about the Ancestry site. The book didn't help me. Seems that I'm not really interested in researching my ancestry, just a bit interested in reading about it. It's time to contact the folks identified by the site as relatives per my DNA test and see if they have gathered a family history.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, given that we were out at a lecture last night. The topic was about bioengineering - a notion with much promise and much fear. The best promise is engineering bacteria in the lab to make medicines by the giant vat. Clearly a good thing. Other uses raise my concerns. The speaker even had stickers "I [heart] GMO" - I didn't notice many takers. Dinner was a box of instant Pad Thai. It was seriously mediocre. Even the peanuts sprinkled on top were mediocre, LOL. So much for that experiment.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy 255th anniversary of the founding of Saint Louis. Your Valentine's dinner sounds both good and healthy.

maryann - Yikes! - hope you avoid whatever ails your two guys. Kudos for switching dinner for a low-calorie movie.

Karen (karenrn) - It's on my bucket list to read how to play mahjong. Then to find partners. Then to play a competitive game. Seems to be a bit vicious. Good luck with your periodontist.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Sending supportive thoughts about your heading forward again after your diversion. It's the getting up again and again that takes the real strength. Posting when things aren't going well is about the hardest thing there is to do.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
How do you feel about weighing yourself tomorrow: excited? anxious? fearful? Many dieters tell me that they fear the scale. If you do, too, you might think of excuses for not weighing yourself.
You may need to make Response Cards. If you think you may have any of the following thoughts. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I don't need to weigh myself. I'll know how I'm doing by how my clothes fit.

Helpful Response: It's important to learn the skill of using the number on the scale as information to guide my eating and exercise plans. I'm fooling myself if I think I can regulate myself without this information. If I'm like many dieters, I probably have a tendency to either overestimate or underestimate my weight, both of which can lead to negative consequences.
​​​​​
Closed Thread