Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- woo, we got snow! I don't remember it snowing like this in November ever, its got to be about 5 inches? My neighbor is out nicely plowing our driveway and I feel guilty for being inside but i'm not ready to go out yet I always buy him some alcohol as a thank you each winter. but we have heat and electricity so life is good!!
I'm a little worried about driving 90 miles to pick up DD tonight- the dorms close at 10:00 am tomorrow for break- but everything should be cleaned up and fine.I don't like driving on the highway at night in the winter but its time to put on my big girl panties and deal.
My hip told me yesterday it had been awhile since I had used the stationary bike, so i listened to it and rode. I think it is happier today
Maryann- so good to hear from you, and glad you're feeling better!! The wildfires are just awful!
Bill- i think you would have gotten along with my DH, he loved that kind of stuff

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-16-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #92  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit, as crazy as that sounds from me, before I take Otis out for a walk and then go for a hike. I'm heading up to Tom's Thumb because I can do about a six mile hike with good elevation gain by going up there, then down the East End trail and then turning around and going back up and then down to the parking lot. I joined a new meet-up hiking group and I want to be sure I can keep up. Food was on plan yesterday and today is partly planned.

Curlyjax Too bad your daughter can't find someone to carpool home with. That would save you some time and stress.
Bill What does the meteorite look like?
Beth I would have a hard time passing up the tots.

Okay, out the door I go.

Karen
Old 11-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #93  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is up a bit.

My laundry room is back in working order after nearly two weeks! I'm sitting next to a giant pile of clean laundry that still needs sorting. Today's big task is not laundry, it's clearing the garage of the piles of stuff that got displaced there for the tiling job. My goal is to purge a lot of it, and get the car back in.

Maryann, I missed your post yesterday. It's good to see you check in!

Beth, credit for mindful eating! That is exciting news for your daughter.

Bill, very cool mail day. Do you have a big collection? One of my co-workers was a "meteorite chaser" and would organize travel plans around it, sell stuff. Said he made quite a profit doing it.

Curly, hopefully your area does a good job of clearing the roads. We don't leave the house when we get snow because very little is done to clear it.

Karen, credit for joining the meet up hiking group!

Joy, sorry about the unwanted snow and food choices. Credit for 60% on plan.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #94  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I didn't get a post done before meeting someone for coffee this morning -- we talked for close to three hours and I got home in time for lunch! Not really my plan for my day but the conversation was good.

Yesterday's exercise was shoveling snow. Today, I'll take my walk when it gets to 50 degrees out.

Since I weigh in kilograms, this seems relevant: Kilogram gets a new definition

November word count: 19651/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 5, Weigh-in: +0.35 kgs, Exercise: +55, 480/1200 minutes for November

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 11-16-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #95  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Credits for today include:
  • 3 products as planned for breakfast/lunch/snack
  • Weighed and recorded
  • Checked sugar and recorded
  • Posting here
  • Ready my 5 cards
  • Reasonable choices for dinner. We went out and I didn't eat the bread that came with my salad and I didn't eat any of the order of fries others shared. I did have a hot dog bun and croutons on my salad--definitely a maintenance meal and not a weight loss meal, but that's a win over some of my overindulgences!

My dad is here and we've had great conversation this evening. DD was supposed to get in an hour ago. His flight is way delayed and doesn't get in until 12:45. I think I'm going to have him take a Lyft here--it's just so late and I feel way too tired to stay up and drive that late! At 10:20 or even 11:30, I'd be prepared to go get him. But I'm so tired (and he'll be even more so). We have no food in the house so tomorrow morning has to be grocery shopping.

Joy: Enjoy 50 degrees--if it was that here I'd go for a walk, too!

Penny: Laundry room, garage--it seems as if it never ends, doesn't it?

Bill: A meteor from Lithunia sounds way cool! How do you store/display such a thing?

karen: That sounds like an ambitious hike--but I know 6 miles isn't extreme for you!

curlyjax: I hope the drive to pick up DD went smoothly and safely. How long will she be home?

Tomorrow we're going to my aunt and uncle's. I'm going to permit myself a slice or two of pizza but I offered to bring a green salad because I knew then there'd be something healthy to go with the pizza!

--Beth

Old 11-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #96  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Suez Canal opens linking the Mediterranean and the Red seas (1869, Egypt)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The normal trip to the supermarket met the pre-Thanksgiving crowd. DW had added some things to my list that will share the oven with the turkey: lemon, lime, Spanish onion - "No bigger than a baseball or it won't fit," and thyme. Thyme had to be purchased in an annoying clam shell. Cilantro and parsley were in bunches looking like plants but thyme looked like a product in its little plastic shell. It'll be OK as long as we hide it so that the guests don't see it. I still need to get to Trader Joe's to get roasted pecans for the salad that I'm scheduled to prepare.

Latest on the investigation of the gas explosions in Massachusetts last month: The houses exploded due to overpressure in the pipelines to the houses. The immediate cause was the pressure valve in a disconnected pipe was still sending its signals into the system serving the new pipe. When it detected low gas pressure on the old pipe, it signaled to increase the gas pressure on the new pipe. Initial cause: an inexperienced engineer was tasked to design the procedures for the switchover from the old pipe to the new pipe. NO ONE reviewed his work. In addition, the old procedure of having an experienced engineer on site during the work had been inexplicably discontinued. Apparently, anyone with gas piping experience would have been sensitive to the issue of disconnecting a sensor that signaled for gas pressure to increase. The investigation continues to identify additional steps where oversight would have been expected and didn't happen. Folks around here aren't happy. Current status is that all the new gas piping is installed (ahead of schedule) and most homes have been inspected and turned on. Good timing because it dropped to 32 degrees F the other night.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love your link to the (pending) new Kilogram definition. I'd not known that the precision of Planck's constant was the needed step. I used the speed of light, 299,792,458 m/s in my professional life all the time but Planck's constant, 6.62607004 × 10-34 m2 kg / s, sat far outside my realm - like a mystery.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you've found a new group. My meteorite is about 2 centimeters on each side with smooth 'thumbprints' all over.

curlyjax - Hope the drive to pick up your DD went well. Our snow - filled with rain - melted without need for shoveling.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for ignoring the bread and French fries. My meteorite sits on my desk for constant admiration and touch. It will eventually find its way to a small glass container over the fireplace in the living room to join our Trilobite and other small things we admire.

Penny. - Good luck with your purging goal in that garage. My "collection" consists of exactly two meteorites, both less than one ounce weight. I'm sensitive to the notion that those who get sucked into this field can fill a house completely with their collection.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

There are two circumstances you might face while dieting that qualify as overeating:
  • If you eat any food in a greater quantity than you had planned. Maybe you had written down last night that you were going to eat 6 ounces of chicken but instead you at 10 ounces. Or maybe you had planned to eat 1 cup of vegetables, but since your diet plan allows you to have an unlimited amount of them, you ended up eating 2 cups.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 153.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #97  

Hello All

BillBlueEyes, a big shout out to you for posting the Beck cards. One of them hit especially home this week: "Once I accept the fact that I have to give up spontaneous eating, dieting will be easier."

And thanks to all of the commenter s here, it's helpful to follow along. Wishing you a good holiday!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #98  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for having the right food in the house to cope with today's brown bag lunch -- a sandwich and an apple. I'll have a salad as a snack when I get home to get the veggies in, too.

November word count: 19782/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 6, Weigh-in: +0.1 kgs, Exercise: +40, 520/1200 minutes for November

Sundove: that is a very helpful concept!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #99  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight has been steadily creeping up the last few days, three pounds now. I will drink more water today.

I'm losing steam for these home improvement chores but there will be another trip to the home store, sorting of things, and furniture relocation today.

Joy, RIP Le Grand K! I remember being quite gobsmacked at the notion of a mother kilogram kept under guard in a vault.

Beth, I hope your son made his way home okay. Credit for checking off your goals for the day!

Curly, how did the drive go? I hope the time with your daughter is relaxing.

Bill, a collection of two rocks is quite reasonable. Credit for getting the holiday shopping done. I only have to bring a vegetable side and still haven't decided what to make.

Sundove, happy Thanksgiving to you too. Jump in here anytime!
Old 11-18-2018, 01:46 AM   #100  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

DS go in late last night—I was asleep but I texted him so he’d get the texts when he landed. I left the front door unlocked and told him he was sleeping in my office. DD had made up an air mattress for him.

This morning he made eggs for everyone (but me—I had one of my shakes). I way overate 🍕 at dinner and had two slices of cake. I did have a bunch of salad.

Tomorrow is my grandmother's service. I’m the oldest of the grandchildren still living. The great grandchildren range from the twins who are less than a year old to my niece who is 34. My great nephew is also under a year and is the youngest of the 3 great great grandchildren. It’s a celebration of a life well lived. I’m glad my dad came in for it and that DS was able to come.

Tomorrow is going to be a challenging food day. I’m going to read my cards before heading to the service and again before the catered meal.

G'night all

—Beth
Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #101  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Standard time zones formed by railroads in US & Canada (1883)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the subway to get to the world premier of the opera Schoenberg in Hollywood by composer Tod Machover. I do like the classic operas but keep attempting to understand or even just enjoy the new atonal music. The performance was joyful because it told a story in multimedia format - lots of brouhaha and a cast of only three changing costumes every few minutes. However, these ears are so used to Mozart, Beethoven style of classical music that I'm stuck with hearing 'wrong notes' stuck into an almost clear stream. Can't say 'melody' since I left the theater with nothing to whistle or hum to myself. Part of the evening is just experiencing Boston at night: the lights, the joy, the energy, so many folks bustling about, as well as homeless building themselves shelters out of cardboard boxes. It's a mixed bag - like a city is.

Eating was OKish - with more snacks than planned, Ouch. There are several projects on my plate that I feel like I'm falling behind on faster than easily recoverable. It's all fun stuff that I commit to with joy without a good sense of how many discretionary hours a day really exist in my life. It's like I plan as if I'm still capable of pulling all nighters to catch up - fulling forgetting that back in the days of all nighters they were followed by all day sleeping to catch up. It was always borrowing from the future which only works for the short burst.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Always love looking forward to an apple in my prepared lunch.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Congrats for raising a son who gets in late yet makes eggs for the whole household. I wish you well at your grandmother's celebration of life today.

Penny. - Understand the notion of "losing steam" on home improvement chores.

Sundove - Welcome to our Beck thread. Thanks for your shout out. So glad you're finding Beck's strategies useful. Feel free to join us on a regular basis or from time to time as you're moved. And, yes, I too find the notion of giving up spontaneous eating to be powerful.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

There are two circumstances you might face while dieting that qualify as overeating: . . .
  • If you feel full partway through your meal but continue to finish it anyhow, leading to a feeling of overfullness.
In order for you to successfully lose weight and keep it off, you must know how to identify when you're no longer hungry so that you can stop eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 153.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Ride home friday night was not good, I have to figure out how to improve this. I apologized yesterday since most of it was me over reacting. Glad my son's temper is more like how DH was. I woke up yesterday thinking of all the chores I had to do, and decided to go treat myself to things like a small ceramic fair, lunch out (eggs for lunch, yay!) and a library I haven't been to for awhile. The nice thing about living in this area is there are so many little towns and they all have libraries. Splurged on eating a bit but not too crazy, with lentil soup for dinner.
Today I am going to a big juried artisan fair that you have to pay admission to get in. I have a friend who goes with me each year and its fun to walk around and see so many different things, most of which are way too pricey but cool to look at.
i need to get back to exercise today. Am planning to make banana bread with choc chips but the teenagers will help me devour it
Beth-good luck with today. Its lovely you will have so much family there.
Bill-Fun evening out! yes, the pros and cons of the city life.
Penny-I don't blame you for losing steam, you are doing so much! It will be so nice when its all done.
Karenrn-definitely envying your weather these days! Thanks for the reminder of meetup, i should check that out again for activities.
Joy-Good conversations are always worth thowing off plans. Can't believe you guys had that much snow too!

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-18-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #103  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday turned into Christmas treat day. Way too early for that, of course. My brain went there due to the unusual combination of snow this week and visiting downtown in my suburb on the day that Santa came. On the plus side, I have no interest in repeating that this year, or maybe, ever.

I put my favorite once-a-year Christmas treat on the list I started this summer "Things that seem like they're treats, but don't really taste or feel that good." I think I chose not to notice that they changed the supplier and recipe a few years ago and it's just too sweet and isn't the taste of my childhood. I think I'll look forward to oranges, instead.

November word count: 21,148/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A kgs, Exercise: +30, 550/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #104  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is up two instead of three.

The projects are not finished but moving along. Apparently the rest of the community is decluttering too because it was an absolute zoo and mess at the donation side of Goodwill.

Too many distractions while trying to post so I'll cut it short today. Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #105  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan food wise, but no exercise except a couple of walks with Otis. I guess that should count too. Dh was gone all day and evening and I spent a large part of it on the phone catching up with friends and family. I consider that time well spent. Today dh is golfing and I am doing the housework that I had planned to do yesterday. Food is planned for the day. I did have happy hour on Friday evening and my choice was not low cal, but I did lose the 1 1/4 pounds that I hoped to for the week. In my phone calls yesterday I also made plans to join a friend in the hiking group on two backpacking trips next spring, to the Escalante and also Deer Creek in the Grand Canyon area. I've not been on either and am really excited to have these to look forward to. I'm also applying for a permit to backpack Rim to Rim to Rim again so my friend can have more backpacking practice. I'll fax the application in a few days and keep my fingers crossed. What ever will I do with myself when I don't have my hiking to look forward to. I know my life is out of balance, but one of these days I'll change that (when I can't hike anymore).

Penny I admire your fortitude in continued work on home projects. As I'm doing housework today I see more areas that could use some paint.
GardenerJoy Christmas treats, those are kind of a scary thing for me. I'm going to bake again this year, but fewer items and as close to giving them away as possible.
Curlyjax It's true, our weather is just about perfect right now. You seem to be keeping yourself quite busy with or without meet-ups. You know when you talk about the struggles with getting along with your daughter I remember the struggles I had with my son. I can just tell you I'm glad it's been awhile now. It is so tough though.
Bill I can't even imagine pulling an all nighter anymore. When I make my to do list too long I really realize how my energy has changed from years ago.
Beth Sounds like you will be having a really nice send off for your grandmother. It's so nice there are so many generations together.
Sundove Welcome!

Well, this post was my break in the housework. Thank you! I had better get back at it before I just say, "Oh well, good enough!"

Closed Thread