Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:09 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Dio De los Muertos

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chasing the (3 yo) DGD. Our DD now describes her as being a threeteenager - much worse than terrible-twos. Getting shoes on to leave the house is an extended negotiation. The actual feet into shoes is easy since she's gotten pretty good at that part. The assertion that "I don't wanna" just becomes more frequent. I was called into action to help with a potty run. Kinda excited to be of help since the grandmom usually handles that. Turns out that I was needed only to help put the pants back on . . . wait for it . . . her doll named "baby" whose tiny pants are too difficult for the DGD to manage. Yep, "baby" has to pee when the DGD goes to pee. For the DGD, I was only needed to limit the unrolling of toilet paper to a giant wad - just smaller than the size that would clog our plumbing lines until a plumber could get out here. She's fully memorized her book "Mixed" where Red and Blue marry and have a baby girl they name Green. It was read on the drive back to her house with her excited shouts of all the lines and naming of all the colors. When that little brain decides that it's time to master a new notion, it just does it.

Candy consumption was bad; we have more candy than trick-or-treaters. I set out to solve that delima in the obvious way. The leftovers are now all returned to their bag and will go into Happy Hour on Sunday.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Gotta love the name "Dubious Claims Brewing Company." Kudos for beating your October exercise goal already.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for your successful journey down to the Grand Canyon and back up. I happily visualize your Otis welcome home reception.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super Kudos for ignoring the compelling smell of leftover pizza.

Penny. - 16,800 is one whole lot of holes - I continue to admire your energy. Kudos for your cardio dance class.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating
Once I accept the fact that I have to monitor my eating in this way, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 148.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-01-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: HTML change
Old 11-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

We effectively ignored Halloween, a blessing that we can do that without disappointing any youngsters. Our house is down a dark and scary lane where no one ventures on Halloween or any other night of the year -- even with lights on, the only trick-or-treaters we ever had were the next-door-neighbors who live on the same lane. They're in high school or older now, so they don't show up at our door any more.

Today's adventure is the start of NaNoWriMo -- I'm aiming for 2000 words to get off to a fast start.

Daily weighing streak: 2, Weigh-in: +0.45 kgs, Exercise: +45, 1280/1200 minutes for October
gardenerjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning,

I had an on plan day for food yesterday. We did have candy for the trick or treaters, but none for me, and now it is out of the house. Today's exercise will just be walking. I've walked Otis and will meet a friend in a couple of hours for another walk. My 24 hour food plan is completed for today. We're having lots of healthy veggies. Next week my brother in law and sister in law will be here. I would like to feed them what we eat but I think he would die. Based on his weight gain the last few years, I'm pretty sure vegetables are not high on the list.

GardenerJoy It would sure be easier with out the trick or treaters, Otis goes crazy with every door bell ring or knock at the door. Good luck with getting off to a fast start on your writing.

Bill Was Red and Blue's baby really named Green? Seems like her name should have been Purple. Your little DGD is keeping you busy for sure.

Beth Good job getting back on plan. I don't think pizza will ever smell anything except wonderful. I did have a couple of slices for lunch after we hiked the last day out of the Grand Canyon. The Pizza Pub in the Maswik Lodge is pretty darned good.

Penny Tomorrow it will be my turn to be out of my comfort zone. I have my first orientation at the new gym. Where do you take your cardio dance class?

Maryann If you are finding time to read but not post, just know you are missed.

Everybody have a great day. Seems impossible that it is November 1st already.

Last edited by karenrn; 11-01-2018 at 11:27 AM.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: +51/+20.2/0

Quick check-in because I have a little house guest chatting me up.

Yesterday was on plan and weight is the same. We had a small party with extra guests and lots of food. The kids got tons of candy and we played a fun game at jackbox.tv. The main thing was up on the tv and everyone logs on and plays from their phones. Lots of laughter.

Amazingly, I did not have a single bite of food. I had my two meals and that was it. No one noticed or cared.
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 136/132/113

Height: 5'4

Smile New to this Group ❤️

Hello

My name is Pixie.
I recently purchased the Beck Diet Solution and I am very excited to start my journey with this group.
Here is a little bit about myself and why I purchased the book.
For the past 2 years, I went through very major changes in my life including car accidents, surgery, career transition, unemployment, moving, and losing loved ones.
During the most emotional and also darkest times, I turned to food and began developing a very unhealthy relationship with food, which led to a 20lb weight gain. It may not seem that much but it has truly sabotaged my confidence and how I view myself especially when I realized I needed to buy larger size clothes. After that, I began yoyo-dieting. I would lose 5lbs and gain 8lb because I couldn't mentally handle "restricting" myself and would binge eat. I tried counting calories and macros, high protein diet, keto diet, and intermittent fasting. I know that all these "diets" work but what's really lacking is consistency/patience/persistence. Thank you all in advance for reading!

I am on day 3 of the challenge but looked ahead to see if there are "assignments" I could complete first so I decided to do the diet coach/support group first.
The following are my reasons for weight loss:
1. body confidence & self-esteem
2. fit into my old clothes
3. wear anything without feeling fat
4. social life & start dating after 2 years
5. health
6. get back into dancing -> being overweight made me stopped dancing because I don't like seeing myself in the mirror and I feel embarrassed
7. mental health & no more binges
8. I want to have control over my body and my life
9. (added) build endurance & stamina for upcoming snowboarding season

I will be here to check in every day!

-Pixie

Last edited by pewpewpixie; 11-02-2018 at 09:54 PM.
pewpewpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #7  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/167/160

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today was another 5 product day--I'll do one more tomorrow, then when DH is back from his business trip, I'll go back to 3 products and 1 meal per day. (I guess that means I'll need to do some grocery shopping!)

I'm still not back in the habit of reading my cards. I'm going to read some now before I curl up with a good iPad :-)

Welcome pewpewpixie!

G'night all!

--Beth
bethturnaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Pixie (pewpewpixie)

Pixie (pewpewpixie)

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you find the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - The "Great Emu War" begins to cull Emu population, (1932, Western Australia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Major accomplishment was a phone call. Sounds like a wimpy day - but it was a phone call that I'd been putting off. I had to call the bureaucracy of the gas and electric companies to make a change to the billing. Felt like I spent forever beeping down their menu options until the last menu offered to let me speak to a human. And that human was intelligent, efficient, and determined to make everything right in one pass. She even covered an issue that I hadn't thought about in advance. My take is that single person could take on the Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles and turn everyone into a believer.

Food was excellent because I didn't go after our leftover Halloween candy, CREDIT moi. Toward the end of the night, I'd tell trick-or-treaters to take four. I even told three kids that I know and really like to take three in each hand. They grinned from ear-to-ear; their parents grimaced. Turns out that it isn't wasted. The eleven-year-old explained the formula that her dad would use to buy their candy the next day. So I wasn't stuffing candy into kids; I was giving them some coins from their dad who would then be stuck with bringing in all that candy to his office.

Edit: Yes, indeed, it's Blue and Yellow that make Green. The book and my (3 yo) DGD both had it right. I typed wrong in yesterday's post.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - May your NaNoWriMo adventure be a fun one.

Karen (karenrn) - Yes, it would not be proper hosting if your BIL died in your house from eating veggies. Kudos for taking none of the Halloween candy. [Thanks for noting the proper addition of colors, LOL.]

Beth (bethturnaround) - Why Yes, cooking a meal means having to do grocery shopping, LOL. Kudos for a five product day.

Penny. - Super Kudos for having not a single bite of food. It's a new world when a family game is played with each player on their own iPhone.

Pixie (pewpewpixie) - Sending supportive thoughts for your recovery from the lost loved ones. Kudos for so clearly recognizing the path that you're on and deciding that you want to change that. I love the goal of getting back into dancing - there isn't anything that can make one feel better all over. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

Some people don't struggle much when they're deciding when and what to eat. They just open the cabinet or refrigerator and select what they want. If you're like most dieters, though, you've struggled at times when you were tempted to eat something you shouldn't. You probably had a dialogue in your mind that went something like this: I really want to eat this. But I know I shouldn't. But I really want it. I'm not supposed to eat this. But I know I shouldn't. But I really want it. I'm not supposed to have it. But I feel like having it! I know it's not on my food plan, but I don't care. I'm going to have it anyway.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 149.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

My first day of NaNoWriMo went well, but everything else felt behind and rushed. We even ordered delivery because I couldn't cope with the supper we had planned. I don't want all of November to go like that! I think I can figure out a way to make this work with less disruption to my healthy eating.

November word count: 2164/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 3, Weigh-in: -0.1 kgs, Exercise: +40, 40/1200 minutes for November

Welcome, pewpewpixie!
gardenerjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #11  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight it the same.

Two days of houseguests and I'm already feeling sapped. I need to remember to retreat to my room for down time and not feel guilty for requiring that time to myself. Today is the last full day and then tomorrow we start clearing the downstairs area for new flooring on Monday.

Beth, excellent job getting back on track!

Bill, credit for "excellent" eating. That's a big jump up from "okayish" and stands out as a great day. I like the three candies for each hand suggestion and I bet the kids liked it too. My friend's teenager puts up a sign that says "extra candy if you say 'bloop'."

Pixie, welcome to the Beck group! I just got on board a few months ago and so far, fingers crossed, it has halted the yo-yo'ing.

Karen, the cardio dance class is at our local pool, that also has a small gym and group fitness classes. I'm feeling like a dork doing those hip gyrations and shimmies. Ugh. No problem acting like a dancing fool on my own but it's different in a crowded exercise class. Good luck with even more company. I'm tired after just two days. Ha!

Joy, credit for the writing. You're off to a good start!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 136/132/113

Height: 5'4

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am very excited to be a part of all your journeys! My initial posts will be a little longer since I am just starting off and would like to share the details about my goals, food choices, and exercise plan and getting to know everyone. So thank you all for taking the time to read my post. This week was full of indulgences for me due to my birthday and Halloween parties, drinking, and treats. I weighed myself this morning and the scale went up by 5lbs. Although it is annoying that I gained weight, I am actually not too stressed out about it. I used to beat myself up for something like this but somehow I felt calm when I saw the number and I am confident that I am going to succeed this time. I would like to think it is the power of this support group because I want to be able to share the good things that happen and bring a positive vibe to the table!

11/02/2018 Journal:
Weight: +5lbs = 132lbs
Food Choices: ✔️
Pilates (2/2): ✔️
10 min Jump Rope: ✔️

I decided on the following weekly exercise plan:
- Pilates 2x
- Dance class or high-intensity interval training 2x
- Jump rope 10mins/daily except for days when I do it as my HITT session

Bill: I came across the book when I was researching "how to think like a thin person" and then I googled Beck Diet support group when I got Day6 of the book. I wish I had found the 3FC first so parts of the book would go toward costs for running the site.

Karen: Seems like you had a very solid day! How did your first day at your gym orientation go?

Penny: Good job on staying away from foods you don't need! I am still learning since I know I definitely eat as a result of social influences

Last edited by pewpewpixie; 11-02-2018 at 10:38 PM.
pewpewpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #13  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/167/160

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today I give myself credit for weighing (and being at my lowest weigh in at least 18 years) and for 3 products. I had too much bread at dinner, but chose my entree well. I read my cards today but clearly I need some new ones that speak to bread.

Tomorrow, I'm walking a 5k with a bunch of people from my weight loss clinic. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to go visit my grandmother afterwards, but my son told me that when he went, she was really hard to draw out. He said the people there always tell him how nice it is he visits his grandmother--and don't believe that he's visiting his great grandmother. DS isn't even the oldest of the great-great grandchildren--my niece is (she's 32). I think grandma is ready but she's still really pretty healthy.

Food for tomorrow will be 3 products and then leftovers from tonight's dinner :-).

G'night all.

--Beth

bethturnaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - By Act of Supremacy: Henry VIII becomes Head of Church of England (1534)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner was a juicy, delicious, desirable, hamburger, CREDIT moi. Credit because it was vegan!!! But tasted like hamburger. It was The Beyond Burger by Beyond Meat. I couldn't believe that it actually tasted like hamburger - instead of the usual veggie burger taste that I think is good, but good like a good veggie burger. Don't know the secret, but the principal ingredient is "Pea Protein Isolate" followed by canola and coconut oils. I can't claim to have had a vegan day since I put mayonnaise (eggs) on the bun, LOL. And DW used butter on the potatoes. But it was a vegetarian day.

Exercise was taking down the patio furniture - at last. We've dawdled because the weather kept producing warm days. To my horror, one leg of one chair had serious rust at the tip. Then we noticed that the other chairs were also not perfect. The chairs have served us well for a number of years but, as usual, I expect things to last forever. Maybe I'll buy a 3-D printer and make new patio chair-leg tips. I've got until spring to fantasize about such.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - The schedule does sometimes have to push something out.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Congrats of your 18 year milestone. Good bread calls to me when I go near it.

Penny. - I agree, downtime is important when hosting house guests.

Pixie (pewpewpixie) - Kudos for not getting upset by scale wiggle. The scale will follow your body which will follow your eating plan - both in their own good time.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

This internal argument can create tension, which is emotionally and physically uncomfortable. You'll be tempted to relieve this tension by eating. Once you make the decision to eat, you may find that your discomfort immediately subsides - even before you reach for the food. You can do other things, though, to reduce your discomfort. Just as deciding to eat can reduce tension, so can deciding not to eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 149.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #15  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, weight is holding.

Today is a free hazardous waste drop off in town, which I happen to see the event posted to social media. This is clearing out a ton from our garage: paints, solvents, those tube lightbulbs...etc, etc. Then we start pulling all the downstairs furniture out for the new flooring install.

Beth, the 5k sounds fun!

Pixie, credit for making a plan.you've got this!

Bill, the 3d printer is fun. We use it for very important jobs like replacing lost game tokens.