Beck Diet For Life/Solution November 2018 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 4 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #46  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I wanted ice cream tonight so we went out for ice cream. That is not OP. That is not a good idea. I also want to stay a size 12 (or get to a 10). I can't do both. I do realize I need to start walking again--the evening walks in the forest preserve are out of season but that doesn't mean I can't find another time or another walking location--even inside.

I remind myself--the goal is to get up again.

--Beth
Old 11-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - After two months at sea, the Mayflower spots land: Cape Cod, MA (1620)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Crazy day spent at a conference about the digital economy. A key issue of the emergence of Artificial Intelligence into the economy is the unbalanced income distribution. The income gap has been growing of late. A speaker from the World Bank referred to the 'informals' who don't benefit at all. 'Informal' means off the grid - not part of the recorded economy, like sustenance fisherman in underdeveloped countries. In some places in Africa, mobile phones helped jump folks ahead in the digital economy - using smart phones for gig jobs and payment systems. (The link to those pictures is just because they're great. I wish they'd also shown a few U.S. street musicians and subway jewelry sellers who are also off grid.)

Eating was OK; snacking during breaks in the conference were just bad. There were bite sized pastries, such as cranberry scones, that I just ate along with the group of friends who were also eating them as if we weren't fed at home. Conferences do that to me. The only good news is that I didn't get there in time to fully indulge in the abundant breakfast.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Seems right to use a bad mood to write dark sections of a dystopian novel. The front page of the newspaper serves the same purpose for me.

curlyjax - LOL at "Christmas crack stuff" - that it is, alright. Yay for a financial guy that you like.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Thanks for "I can't do both. - I need that right now.

Penny. - Let us know if you introduce tempeh into your eating plan. I love the thought of it, but we've never made it happen.

Pixie (pewpewpixie) - Love the thought of you expanding your range by hip-hop class. LOL at your two bowls of Miso Soup.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

Here are my rules:
  1. Eat a substantial amount of protein, vegetable, and fruit at every meal.
  2. Don't eat any junk food until after dinner.
  3. Eat only raw vegetable while preparing dinner.
  4. When eating out, eat up to only 25 percent more than I usually do when I'm home.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 150.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I devised a checklist for myself- one star for no sugar at work, a check for none at home. Yesterday I earned both finally!! And i arrived home earlier than I thought I would, so i did a new DVD workout and exercised for a good hour. A good day!
I've also finally been having a little more energy in the afternoons, related to sleeping better I think. Its great to feel motivated to do things around the house since I feel less sluggish.
Pixie- Cereal can definitely suck you in into eating more, its easy to just keep going on it.
Bill- fabulous pictures. Glad conferences like these exist.

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-09-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #49  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Mornin'

Yesterday was on plan and weight is unchanged. My friend cancelled for the cardio dance exercise class and I managed to talk myself into still going. Credit!

Beth, I sure wish there was something helpful from the outside, instead of just internal drive to snap us back into action. Credit for checking in.

Bill, thank you for sharing a bit of the conference with us. Sorry about the delicious snacks.

Curly, kudos for the no sugar day!

Pixie, credit for the exercise and recognizing/planning for trigger foods.

Last edited by Penny.; 11-09-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

I'm not way off track with eating, but enough that I won't meet my goal for continued gradual weight loss. As bethturnaround notes, I can't have both. I'm going to try a trick that has worked for me before. Write a generous plan and then follow it 100%. This often gets me back to following a plan that is easy to adjust until weight loss starts happening again.

November word count: 12060/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A kgs, Exercise: +50, 310/1200 minutes for November

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 11-09-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:18 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 136/132/113

Height: 5'4

Hi coaches & buddies,

Today went well. Although I was hoping to do a 24hr fast, I stopped at 19. The hunger pangs wouldn’t go away and I didn’t want my desire to eat to lead to a binge later. Got dinner with friends tonight and was able to stop eating when I felt that I should be full even though I wasn’t. Credit for not ordering more and not ordering a drink. I then was craving something sweet after dinner and as I was driving by Krispy Creme, I saw that they had a drive thru. WHAT. Since when does KC have drive thrus that are still opened at 11:53PM?

I didn’t stop. Credit for not stopping.

Stats for today:
IF: 19hrs
Jump rope(5/7): ✔️
Weigh in since 1st: - 1.5lbs

Good night!

-Pixie
Old 11-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #52  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - The satirical anti-war novel "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller published (1961)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Planned one trip to kill four items on the day's to-do list, CREDIT moi. Felt like a genius planner. One stop was the library where I dropped off one book and picked up two - all mine, not the DGD's. Was a good feeling to remember that I still exist in the world of books despite my checkout list containing a dozen of books for her. I had in mind to to Home Depot to get Magic Erasers until I realized that they're sold at the supermarket. Duh! Since I'd discovered them at Home Depot I just assumed that I had to go back there, LOL.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner was omelettes at home. Dinner conversation was stuck at David Reich's book, Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past who we'd heard speak the night before. It's just boggling to me that within a few years after DNA sequencing became inexpensive, a whole academic field has opened up sequencing the DNA of our ancestors of 40,000+ years ago. Makes me want to do 23andme to see how much Neanderthal and how much Denisovan I'm composed of. Aside: I just googled to discover that the popular DNA tests are all on sale for about half of the standard $100ish. And I found an article comparing which ones are best for what kinds of results. OK, gotta get a bit more informed before I go off swabbing my cheek, but this only makes me more determined.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat: "Write a generous plan and then follow it 100%."

curlyjax - Yay for more energy - what a good feeling.

Penny. - Super Kudos for going to that cardio class even without your friend.

Pixie (pewpewpixie) - LOL at the thought of midnight Krispy Creme donuts - a Sabotaging Thought with a luxurious aroma. Kudos for avoiding them.

Readers -
Quote:

These rules enable me to leave afternoon receptions feeling food and looking forward to dinner. They keep me from gaining more than a couple of pounds when I'm on vacation. Following a rule eliminates the struggle over what to eat or not to eat.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #53  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,
I guess it's been a few days since I've posted. Yesterday was two trips to the airport; dh in the morning and bil and sil in the late afternoon. The week with the company went better than expected, other than it was a maintenance rather than weight loss in the food and drinks category. My sil and I went on a long walk the first day and then hiked three days. ​​​​​​My bil even joined us on a fairly strenuous hike and he walked alone on two days. Today I will take the day off of exercise and get things caught up around the house this morning. I'm going on the Phoenix House and Garden tour this afternoon with my friend.

Bill I love when I get lots of errands done with good planning. I did the DNA test at my brothers house in September. My sister in law is really in to genealogy and had a kit. I haven't heard the results yet. On television this morning they are showing a Mandarin Duck in NYC. I've never seen one before. Thought of you since you are such a bird watcher.
Pixie Good job on the weight loss and passing up the donut. I'll have to look back at the posts and see about that exercise you were talking about.
GardenerJoy I think that is a great to follow your plan precisely by starting with a generous plan. I will follow your lead on that today.
Penny Going alone to your dance class is a major accomplishment. I have only gone to the gym once after my orientation. I will get started back this next week, but I will admit it is hard.
Curlyjax It sounds like you had a really good day yesterday. I hope it is the start of a string of them.
Beth How are you liking the new house? How far is it from where you were living? I hope you find a good place to continue your walking.

I hope everybody has a good weekend. I'm glad to get back on losing track. The exercise portion is always the easiest for me, but I know that is only about 10% of the equation.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave coaches. I am off in an h our to pick up DD from college for a quick weekend visit home. Apparently the campus empties out on the long weekends and its "creepy" plus she can work tomorrow. I am going to breathe deeply and resolve to be on my best behavior. I love my kids to bits but DD does push my buttons and i am way too quick to get mad with her.
I did not earn any points yesterday for avoiding sugar but today is a new day. I think i had a dream about having trouble getting my shirt off since it was too small- my mind is telling me to get back on track!
Happy weekend everyone!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #55  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my plan at the 80% level yesterday. I'll aim for 100% today, although, there's some uncertainty around lunch. I wrote a plan and I'll follow it if I can.

We have snow on the grass and deck and a low last night around 20 degrees. That's remarkably early in the season for us.

November word count: 14005/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A kgs, Exercise: +15, 325/1200 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: MiL did the swab from Ancestry and got the results last week, which has the family scrambling to play around with the genealogy software. It turns out that "all-German" is mostly German, plus a sizable amount of British and a little bit of Norwegian. I can explain the Norwegian from my knowledge of history (Most British people have northern European ancestry -- Vikings!) but no one has a story to cover the British bit.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #56  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, except dinner was later than the IF window. Weight is down a smidge.

The tiling job in the downstairs portion of our split-level is finished and curing. It looks so good! We bought the dump on the block with some of the strangest DIY fixes. We've been slowly fixing it over the last 14 years. New carpet for the family room down there is going in Monday, and then we play musical rooms setting up all the kids in their new spaces.

Pixie, we have a KC drive through here too. Credit for a good day!

Bill, that book mentioned at the top of your post sounds interesting. I like satire, I like anti-war. Credit for the productive day!

Curly, you must be doing a fantastic job in the mom department, despite the frustrations because she keeps coming back home on weekends.

Karen, having paid the membership gives me a little more morivation to get to the gym. But I know that only goes so far, so I buy the three month pass.

Joy and Beth,
Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 AM   #57  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Yesterday was really challenging--and I snacked and snacked--and didn't seem satisfied :-(. I had trouble installing the new light fixtures in the closets and so was feeling really bummed and told myself eating wouldn't make it better (and it didn't). That didn't stop me, though. I think by letting my card reading slip I have let too many of my helpful responses slip as well.

Today has been much better. I went to the mall to buy new pants (emergency need since I have to dress business casual Monday and Tuesday and I don't have any pants except jeans). The first pair I tried on fit perfectly--except they only had them in brown and navy. I wanted black, light gray, or dark gray--and they were out of those. Had to go to a different store to find a pair of gray ones. Turns out I'm definitely a 12 short now, although I'm a 14 petite. I pick up the pants and think "those'll never fit me"--and they do :-) At the mall, there was buttered popcorn and it tempted me and I reminded myself (took several times) that just because something smells good doesn't mean I have to eat it. I read that card yesterday so it was at the top of my mind and I was ready with the helpful response.

I made a really good dinner choice when we went out--even substituted veggies for the rice that was supposed to come with my dinner. I was hungry again this evening and so had a bar--a good choice and totally on plan, since I'm supposed to have 3-4 products a day plus one meal. I usually only have 3, but I was hungry enough that I thought it best to have another one--and that's why better than eating something not on plan.

Bill, we went to Lowe's, then Home Depot, then Menard's--it took all 3 of them to find the tub drain plumbing pieces we needed. We also got to buy a new carbide 5/8" drill bit since we needed to drill into tile and they didn't have a tile/glass bit that large. The guest bathroom is now DONE, except for a bit of additional decorating, since the walls need some art. The bathroom has: new mirror, new recessed lights above that new mirror, new sink faucet, a new ceiling fixture, new towel bar, new towel ring, new TP holder, new toilet lever, new tub spigot, new shower control, new slide bar for the new shower head and hose, new shelves, new hooks, and a new curtain rod. And I bought towels, a shower curtain/liner, and mats. The bathroom doesn't look at all like the 80s oak thing it was 2 months ago when we bought the house. DH is glad we're done drilling holes in it for a while :-). (And like the rest of the house, it is freshly painted, has new baseboards, and a new door) I'm thrilled with the room--it came together really well and it's the first time I've ever done a mood board and really planned everything at once--it came out great.

My plan for tomorrow is 3 products and then zoodles and sausage for dinner.

G'night, all!

--Beth

Old 11-11-2018, 04:11 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 136/132/113

Height: 5'4

Hi coaches & buddies,

Today was not great for me. I have been weighing myself everyday and even after eating well yesterday, my weight went up so I am back at where I started last Saturday. It definitely bothered me as the day went on. I have been feeling anxious all week but today was extremely bad. I usually never have issues with anxiety but somehow I just couldn’t direct my attention elsewhere. Eating was questionable. I didn’t stick to my plan in terms of spreading my meals. I wasn’t feeling satisfied after my lunch so I decided to eat the rest of my planned food in the same setting and do IF till tomorrow breakfast. Did a 24 min jumprope workout today - credit for going over my weekly exercise goal.

Stats for today:
Jump rope(6/7): ✔️
Dance/HITT (3/2):✔️
Weight change since 1st weigh in: 0

Bill - I believe there is a $49 deal for the 23&Me kit right now! Both my sister and I have done it and the results are pretty interesting. A lot of it also depends on your ethnicity because different companies tend to have more data on certain ethnicity or area over the other.

Karen - Credit to hiking 3 days! WELL DONE!

Curly - Hope that you two had some great bonding time! Sometimes it’s just nice to come home and be away from responsibilities…And you got this!

Penny - Good job for staying on plan and achieving the weight loss! Renovation around the house is always so exciting for me too. My family recently fixed up the entire house too and it took 6 months…but it is absolutely amazing now.

Beth - Glad to hear that today was a much better day, in fact, your day sounded AMAZING! CREDIT to reading your card and not having that buttered popcorn. CREDIT to making great dinner choices!

Good night

-Pixie
Old 11-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #59  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - At 11:11 of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, WWI ends (1918)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - For exercise, it's chase the (3 yo) DGD weekend, CREDIT moi. Her parents are taking their first ever weekend away from their darling. We're having big time fun - but exhausting fun. I got to read the 'two' bedtime books. The little lawyer, predictably, extended that into four with me and then a few with her grandmom. I discovered the inscription in one of them from the folks who gave it to my DS some 35+ years ago - a moving moment since one of those folks recently died. It was like her ghost saying goodbye. After she was down for the night, she twice came into my office: first to go pee - a long journey since every inch of the pj's have to come off then back on; then again to give me the sippy-cup emptied of her warm bedtime milk. I was expecting a continuous stream through the night, but she stopped after two. Perhaps it was just to establish that I really was in the room where we told her I'd be.

Dinner was at a place that welcomes kids but serves quality food to the adults. We got there only fifteen minutes after they opened at 5 pm expecting to open the place only to find it nearly full with other parents with the same idea. I had superb shredded pork; tried to limit calories by leaving one tortilla, most of the black beans, and most of the sour cream. It was still way over a reasonable meal. They had toy dinosaurs for the DGD to entertain during the meal - the same set we gave her for her birthday so she was quite familiar with each.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for snow and 20 degrees F - I'm so not ready for that yet. Interesting that you're working the Ancestry thing.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, that Mandarin Duck in NY's Central Park caught my attention, also. There are a few die-hards who think it might have flown here on its own. Most think it escaped from a private collection somewhere. Love reading of your good hikes.

curlyjax - Neat to have a plan to make things go smoothly with your DD.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Congrats for your diligence seeking the pants you needed then to all the hardware stores for the tub pieces. Kudos for standing down the smell of popcorn.

Penny. - I do know the issue of having to fix oddly done DIY fixes of the past. Glad that you like your new tile - one of those things that isn't easily correctable.

Pixie (pewpewpixie) - Kudos for finding a path for your eating plan - whatever it takes.

Readers -
Quote:

Make a NO CHOICE Response Card

Think about some eating rules that you'd like to establish. You don't need to come up with all of them today. These rules might come to your over time. There is one rule, however, that you have to commit to (you don't have a choice in the matter). You must follow your food plan.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

Still at 80% of following my plan -- I keep planning a salad as a snack, and then finding something more appealing instead. That's still an improvement over a few days ago when my snacks started to multiply.

When I was at Whole Foods yesterday, I bought sesame sticks -- I haven't thought of those as health food since the 1980s when I realized how much salt and fat are in them. But, they will make my salad more of a treat, so we'll see if I can bribe myself into following my plan with that.

November word count: 14005/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A kgs, Exercise: +15, 325/1200 minutes for November
Closed Thread