Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #31  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I went to the gym in the morning before picking up the guests at the airport and had a pretty good day on the food plan. Dinner is served at book club, so my main goal was to keep the portion sizes down. I did that and also had pretty low calorie breakfast and lunch. Sil's back is not so good so we will start today by just doing a walk, not a hike. There is a nice paved path that goes along a man made lake and then along a golf course. We'll walk down there with a stop at Starbucks for a drink and bathroom and then head back. That will be about 5 miles, so a good start. She would like to see A Star is Born, so I think we'll do that this afternoon even though I've already seen it. One of the theaters has a senior price of $4 even with the comfortable seats, so we'll go to that one.
Bill Your class on the brain sounds very interesting. I can't imagine how much it must cost to keep oneself frozen. I think there is a place here in Scottsdale for that though.
Pixie Jumping rope for 10 to 15 minutes is really good. Yes, I should pull mine out and work on increasing my time.
Beth You're making great progress on getting settled. I hate having boxes around too, so it is motivating to get them emptied and out of the way.
Penny How long will the flooring project take?
GardenerJoy How's the writing going? I know the word count, but is it coming easily or is it a struggle?
Well I imagine the rest of you will be as glad as I will be that today is the election and the political ads will be off the television and out of the mail. If only all that money could be spent to feed the hungry . . . the world would probably all be overweight. Have a great day!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Voting today! And, aiming for three salads! It's a big day.

November word count: 7377/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 7, Weigh-in: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +35, 185/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #33  

S/C/G: +71/+11.8/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. The harvest soup is finished up and two meats I pulled out of the freezer are prob still frozen.oops!

Demolition day for our new flooring did not go off without a hitch. They could not get the entryway tiles up because they are stuck to wood. I assume it is a section of subflooring that will need to come out and be replaced. They acted unsure and quit early. It's hard to believe this is unchartered territory in their line of work, so it must be the pay they are wanting to work out.

*I need a new diet/health related book to keep me motivated. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Beth, credit for the 3 products and chipping away at the unpacking.

Pixie, credit for the on plan day and the exercise. Sorry for the hungry day. As Beck says, it's hard in the beginning but then it gets better. I also liked it when she noted there were only a few short difficult moments in the day, not the entire day.

Karen, credit for getting to the gym early and mindful eating for book club. Our flooring install should be finished in a week.

Joy, what kind of writing do you do? Credit for meeting all of your goals for the day.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:51 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 136/132/113

Height: 5'4

Hello (wave)

Today was a questionable day for me. I ate out for lunch with a friend and somehow managed to finished the entire meal in one setting (I’m thinking like 1400 calories). Going into it, I was hoping to eat 1/2 and take 1/2 with me. I did stop at one point and then I heard my self-deluding thoughts giving me excuses to continue (which I learned about later today). I felt very satisfied after that 1 large meal it also turned out to be the only meal I had for the day. From previous intermittent fasting experience, I have gotten used to eating just 1-2 big meals a day but I know that my mindset for this specific meal isn’t right because I am now fasting to compensate for the overeating. I did my 10 min jumping rope workout in the morning and stayed very productive for the rest of the day so yay to that!

Bill You are learning some very interesting stuff! Are you getting some kind of degree in this?

Karen What do you usually do at the gym? Weights? JOIN ME! I downloaded this app from crossrope and it has a 30 fitness day challenge. Let me know if you are interested! We can start together.

Penny What is your current diet? I honestly thought intermittent fasting was the easiest lifestyle change ever and you can start by doing the 16:8 protocol. Things were better today so I am happy about that.

Good Night

-Pixie
Old 11-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Diwali Day, the first day of the five day Hindu Festival of Lights

Diet Coaches/Buddies - More rain - I hope it didn't greatly reduce the number of folks who got to the polls to vote. I woke up after 1 am and opened my computer to check the results. Will take a while to absorb the surprises and non-surprises. It pains me each year that so few people vote. It made me so very happy that my DD posted a picture of herself with the DGD at the polls where the DGD was given a sticker reading "Future Voter" since my DD had gone to the polls with me so many times as a kid.

Eating was OKish. I did avoid an opportunity for having a snack at one point, CREDIT moi, then did it later anyway, Ouch. I continue to suffer from to-do-list-too-long syndrome. It diminishes my productivity rather than motivate me to get more done.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy Three Salad Day.

Karen (karenrn) - $4 movie price is best I've heard. Good strategy to monitor portion size when you don't control what's served. It was the Scotsdale facility for freezing folks for future resurrection that was mentioned in our course. Even though it is appealing to spend the rest of my days in Arizona, I'm still not a believer.

Penny. - Indoor "Demolition day" has a frightening ring to me.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating
You made a plan, and you'll follow
that plan
- no ifs, ands, or buts.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 149.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! Still struggling with leftover halloween candy at work, people keep buying the stuff on sale and putting it out. Today I'm off so there is no temptation that way. I''m thinking of going to a potluck before choir tonight, but those can be hard to manage foodwise. And then I have to think of something to bring- that i can buy!
I'm going to meet my new financial advisor today. I'm a little wary of trusting someone with financial issues but I figure as long as I keep it general I can't come to any harm. I mostly want someone to help me think about the future more.
Penny- I have found books by Wendy Bazilian to be helpful, like Eat Clean, Stay Lean. It is all sensible stuff and gives you some concrete ideas.

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-07-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

I woke up insanely early this morning. I forgot to weigh, but I've already written 1700 words, so that's something.

Credit for eating three salads yesterday.

November word count: 8063/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A kgs, Exercise: +35, 220/1200 minutes for November

Penny: I'm playing around with a novel for National Novel Writing Month. This is the first time I've attempted a dystopian novel.
One of the more helpful books for me was The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David A. Kessler. It made me mad at the food industry which is a surprisingly helpful attitude for resisting their offers that are designed to overly tempt me.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #38  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still holding.

I did the cardio dance class with a friend and bought a three month pass to the community pool/gym so I can keep going. Honestly, the class is really not my style and I feel like a dork, but the accountability of getting exercise in with a friend is worth it! Plus, I can go early and do some weights.

Pixie, my main thing is reduced calories using a tracking app. I use Lose It, similar to my fitness pal. Then I tweak things as I read something new: cut out most sugars and flours, 16/8 IF. I also do low sodium because my dh has to and it seems like a good idea anyway.

Good luck finding your groove! I read this mantra on Rational Recovery (for alcoholics, but I changed the words to overeating) and it really snapped me into controlled eating. It talks about the "addictive voice" tries to talk us into stuff but, it has no ability to make you eat. Recognizing the addictive voice and telling it no seemed to help me get through the white knuckle phase of getting on plan. Avoiding flours and sugar quiets the voice altogether after a while.

Bill, now I'm curious about this to-do list. Maybe you can list something and plan on checking it off today. Your three salads today.

Curly, hopefully the halloween candy doesn't just transform into the next holiday treats. Thanks for the book rec. I'll check it out. My Goodreads list for 2018 is going to be a wall of diet books.

Edit to add in Joy (posted at the same time), very cool that you are working on a novel! You must be doing well to be able to get up early and knock out so many words already today. Thanks for the book rec. I've heard that title before so it must be a good one.

Last edited by Penny.; 11-07-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #39  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/183/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all.

Struggling, but I'm checking in and that's a credit. Today and yesterday were not good food days for me--I wanted to snack--and I knew I shouldn't--and I did anyway--and not just a small amount--I just didn't seem satisfied and kept eating :-( I'll have to figure out what is bothering me so much that food seems like a solution--or that makes me feel like eating is the thing I should be doing. I'm not even sure I've enjoyed what I've eaten.

My cards aren't sinking in right now so I'm going to take some time over the next few days to write some new ones--I think I need them to be 'newer' to me.

Tomorrow is another day. At least I have the evening unscheduled and can actually cook. That will help.

--Beth

--Beth
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 AM   #40  

Hello Coaches & Buddies,

I had a great day! Was able to do a 24hr fast and had a low carb meal for dinner (grilled salmon, greens, and 1 piece of wheat toast with sunflower seed butter). I wanted some sweets after my meal but I was able to walk away from it. Jumping rope for 10 minutes is becoming easier although I still break a sweat. Took a hip hop dance class that I have been dreading but it turned out to be amazing and I am very that happy I went. Made some new friends in class and killed the choreography during groups. Today felt like I had found pieces of myself that I had lost some time in the past 2 years. CREDIT, CREDIT, AND MORE CREDIT for today.

Bill I definitely feel you on the extremely long to-do list. I have learned that just prioritizing 3 things every day and the rest goes to my backlog on a completely separate page to be helpful. For me, when I continue to fail to complete my to-do list, I just spiral and that triggers unhealthy eating behaviors for me. Another technique is to break them into smaller chunks by giving them numeric values (because it's important that you can "check" things off, it's mentally and emotionally satisfying). For example, instead of Task: finish writing this paper -> Task: write paper for 45 minutes; Task: finish book A -> Task: read 20 pages of book A. Hope this helps!

Penny I tried calorie counting before and it made me obsessive and it eventually led to an eating disorder. So I am just staying away from that although I still kind of do it in my head. Make sure you drink enough water when you do low sodium and low carb though because those are key to holding on to the water that your body needs for functioning properly. Yes you are absolutely right! This "addictive voice" should have no power over me!

Beth Credit to you for checking in, being honest, and planning to make new cards! I felt HANGRY the other day too and ate like crazy. Not my proudest moment. This journey is a bumpy ride and today is just one of those days. Let it go and try again tomorrow. The fact that you have the intention to try already makes tomorrow better. YOU GOT THIS!

Good night!

-Pixie
Old 11-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Moctezuma II & Hernαn Cortιs first meet (1519, Tenochtitlan, Mexico)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She, once again, reminded us how awesome such a young thing is by counting to 100. She wanted to do it. She said, "I can count to 40!" to which DW responded, "Would you like to count to 100?" Of course she did, pausing to learn the words 'fifty', 'sixty' etc. until she got to the end. I specifically remember doing that in the car with my son when he was 4 - his age at the time is remembered clearly because we had just left DW in the hospital to have our second child. So when the time comes in their little brains, they detect the pattern and then own it. Me, I still have as a life goal to learn to say 11 thru 19 in French. I've already got dix and vingt down pat, LOL.

Dinner was at our favorite Sushi place. CREDIT moi for a low calorie dinner. When we complimented the chef on the Miso Soup, he told us that he had a regular customer who every time ordered TWO bowls. "An old man," he said happily. Naturally, I immediately thought of myself as half-old. Thinking logically, if I never order double bowls of Miso Soup I'll never be old. QED

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for three salads and a zillion NaNoWriMo words.

curlyjax - When I become Czar, I'll have all Halloween candy manufactured in a way that it evaporates that night. One day of excess candy is enough.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Thanks for the reminder that we need to upgrade our Advantage Cards to feel new.

Penny. - Kudos for doing something outside your comfort zone.

Pixie (pewpewpixie) - Yes indeed, Super Kudos for completing a full 24 hour fast and for acing that class. And Yep, also about making realistic items on a To-Do list for a workable strategy. I accuse myself of adding "Cure world hunger" to my list to get me off the hook for getting anything at all done.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating
Following a rule eliminates the
struggle
over what to eat or not eat.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 150.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I ended up going to the potluck, just brought cheese and bread and butter. I did overdo it on the desserts- someone had brought that Christmas crack stuff, that is indeed addictive. But they wisely cut the dessert pieces into small bits so that was good at least.
I walked around a bit but didn't have time exercise yesterday, what with financial stuff and errands, catching up on the mail, cooking dinner for tonight since i'll be home late, and choir practice. I like my new financial guy and feel like I will have a better sense of where my money is going, and how to plan for the future. But I get my hip stretching in every morning, credit, and i'm off to do that!

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-08-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #43  
Green Tomatoes

I worked on the darkest moments in my NaNoWriMo project yesterday. I figured that was a good way to use a bad mood -- and I don't want that sort of mood for the rest of the month.

The downside of indulging a bad mood is that I wasn't in a very good place to make good food decisions. I'll do better today.

November word count: 11470/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A kgs, Exercise: +40, 260/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #44  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight moved down a pound. I got lots of food prepped yesterday and finished one of the diet books, recommended by Curly. It was mostly recipes so I finished it quickly, but snapped a photo of a recipe with tempeh, which I've been wanting to try.

Beth, I'm sorry you're struggling and def credit for checking in.

Pixie, kudos for the great on plan day!

Bill, you have to be only half old to keep up with a 3yo DGD, so it's accurate.

Joy, I suppose it wouldn't be a gripping tale without a touch of darkness.

Curly, credit for getting the financial planning sorted out. Thx for the book recommendation. It was a good pick-me-up for my slacking enthusiasm.

Last edited by Penny.; 11-08-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #45  

Hello

Today wasn't so great for me. I would like to contribute it to PMS. My cravings were just so strong today and I definitely overate and couldn't really stop myself...or maybe because I weighed myself today and I was lighter so I allowed myself to do that? I didn't even hear voices in my head that encouraged me to overeat, I just did it. I did learn that my other trigger food is cereal in addition to mixed nuts, so I am definitely going to stay away from those going forward. Gonna try to go to another hip hop class later tonight so I don't feel so crappy and probably go on another 24hr fast so I don't feel so bloated. Will check in tomorrow and let you all know if I went to hip-hop class......................

Stats for today:
Jump rope(4/7): ✔️
Pilates (2/2): ✔️
Dance/HITT (2/2):✔️
Weight: - 3.5lbs (128)

I made it to dance class and today's piece was definitely challenging and I couldn't stop noticing that I was paying attention to how big I looked in the mirror and how bad my execution was.

Bill - wait. I have 2 bowls of miso soup all the time LOL (guilty). I love hot soups and they help me not overdo it on sushi...

Joy - credit for exercising even when in a bad mood and for seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for tomorrow!

Curly - credit for getting all those errands done and doing your hip stretching exercise every morning

Penny - glad the scale went down finally!

Last edited by pewpewpixie; 11-09-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Closed Thread