Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #16  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Predictably, my snacks are kind of out of whack. The aftermath of my mini-vacation combined with the start of NaNoWriMo. I've lost some habits at the same time that I'm feeling some pressure to meet goals, pressure that some part of me thinks would be relieved by eating a little something. But, of course, that doesn't work. What does work is using my tools to get the job done. And, I'm pledging to have a salad for a snack today, because that always reminds me that healthy food choices are satisfying and tasty.

November word count: 4043/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 4, Weigh-in: -0.35 kgs, Exercise: +40, 80/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! Sorry to be absent for a bit. My guest,my old boyfriend, kept me busy, we visited 2 museums and had a dinner with an old friend of his sister who turns out to live about 15 miles from me. It was so nice to reconnect with him again although I was in a bit of shock after seeing him- it had been about 25 years and he looked really different. Of course I did too! I have to say it was nice to be affectionate with a man again, and to feel attractive, I have really missed that. He lives out in the midwest so this isn't going to turn into anything but it was a really nice visit.I was also able to sob about my husband which he totally understood.
I ate a ton of halloween candy at work but only a few pieces on halloween itself. It is now gone fortunately. Today I am focused on eating healthy leftovers. There are dire warnings about huge winds today so I really hope we don't lose power or have any other problems!!
Welcome to pixie! Its a great group.
Wave to everyone else and will catch up with personals tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #18  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

HI everyone.

The 5k was good--I finished in under an hour. I had 3 products today and then we grabbed dinner out while on our Home Depot run. I chose well--a Caesar salad with grilled chicken. It came with a small piece of bread, which I enjoyed, but there wasn't a bread basket so I didn't get a second piece! I had a 'moment' where I thought, "I could swing into Dunkin Donuts and get a donut"--and then told myself that wasn't in my best interests, and I wasn't going to do it, and the desire went away. I'm going to bed hungry tonight--but it's after midnight so I'm not going to eat. I'll eat in the morning.

In other sadder news, I did visit my grandmother this morning. She was sleeping the entire time. The aide told me that she hadn't eaten her breakfast--she was sleeping so peacefully that she didn't want to wake her up. I sat with her about 30 minutes while she slept--just to be there. My dad called this afternoon--she'd passed a couple of hours after I left. I am so glad I went this morning. She was ready--she was so frustrated and felt so useless (her words) that she couldn't DO anything anymore. It's sad, but it's also a culmination of a life well lived and a loving woman well loved.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 11-04-2018, 06:07 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Mary Leakey and DH discover 1st Homo habilis jaw frags (1960, Olduvai Gorge)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The planned bird walk succumbed to heavy rain and wind. The birds wouldn't have been out because the bugs wouldn't have been out. Leaves blew about like a blizzard for much of the day. We now have a few bare trees on our street and a huge pile of leaves on our front walk. But all this happened in relative warmth. The bag of leftover Halloween candy has not been touched. DW did find one single mini piece that had dropped out of the bowl. She gave it to me and I snarffed it up. It didn't lead to that slippery slope of diving into the bag - CREDIT moi for that.

We were invited to visit some friends who've just purchased a house. It's livable right now but they've got great plans to make it into their own place with some major renovations. It's fun to talk about renovations when there's no limit on what walls can be removed, what roofs opened to skylights, what porches converted into something else. There are no limits at this stage of their dreaming. The big surprise to me: the basement is dry. After a few decades in an old New England rock wall foundation house the notion of a dry basement is like heaven.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - What a great capture of the dilemma, "pressure that some part of me thinks would be relieved by eating a little something."

curlyjax - So great for an old friend to drop by and make you feel like yourself for a bit. Yay for Halloween candy being gone.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Sending condolences for the loss of your grandmother. Congratulations for making the effort for that one last visit. And Kudos for standing down that Dunkin' Donuts Sabotaging Thought.

Penny. - Hazard waste drop off day is just the best. I love driving up with the trunk of the car loaded with stuff I've put in with my bare hands to be met by folks in hazmat suits. I'm impressed that you have a 3-D printer. Whyever did you buy it? And what's the most challenging thing you've made?

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

Your written food plan will help you make your decision ahead of time - before you're confronted with uncomfortable cravings and tension. But it won't eliminate indecision. There will be times when you begin to argue with your plan. Perhaps a coworker asks you to try a brownie she baked. The triggers for eating are endless, but the solution is straightforward: Tell yourself that you don't have a choice. You made a plan, and you'll follow that plan - no ifs ands, or buts.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 149.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

I'm using a new tool to keep me from constantly checking Facebook or Google News when I'm feeling anxious about getting stuck or not quite sure what the next sentence should be. I'm much better off to give myself a moment to see if something will come to me -- instead, too often, I take that moment and go see what's up in the world.

So, I installed an extension to my Chrome browser called Simple Block. I can tell it how long I want to be blocked from Facebook and Google News and when I attempt to go to those sites, it tells me that I'm blocked and for how much longer. It's really helping me!

Now, if only there were a similar tool to block the similar desire to go see what's up in the kitchen.

Credit for eating a salad as a snack yesterday, which only happened because I pledged to do that here.
Credit for getting one-tenth of the way to my exercise goal at the one-tenth point of the month.

November word count: 5051/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 5, Weigh-in: -0.25 kgs, Exercise: +40, 120/1200 minutes for November

bethturnaround: sorry for the loss of your grandmother -- it's hard even when it's expected and the time is as right as it can be.

BillBlueEyes: you might want to check if your library has a 3D printer to play with. Ours does.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #21  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I think I've been absent a couple of days and on both of those days I did some snacking that was over and above what I should have had. I'm trying not to beat myself up since I know that doesn't work. I'm off to a healthy start this morning and will meet Hiking Suzanne at the trailhead at 10 for a 4 mile hike or more depending upon what she has time for. Tomorrow morning I'll be picking up my brother in law and sister in law from the airport in the mid morning. They will only be here until Friday afternoon, which is enough especially because dh will be flying out before they do on Friday. My gym orientation was good but of course it's always a bit difficult to get comfortable in a new place. I'll get there Monday morning before company arrives.

GardenerJoy If you discover an ap that will seal my mouth for the times between meals, let me know.
Bill Just when your weather is turning lousy ours is finally wonderful. By the end of each summer I am thinking about where we can move next. By now I realize we have great weather for many months of the year.
Beth I'm sorry to read of your grandmother's death. It sounds like it was peaceful and after a long life as most of us would like. Congratulations on your lowest weight and your 5K.
Curlyjax I'm glad you enjoyed the visit with your old boyfriend. I notice in FB posts of my high school get togethers that the men seem to change much more than the women. Most of them I don't even recognize, or course it has been much longer for me.
Pixie Welcome! It looks like you are making great plans to get you to your goal. I have a jump rope and should start doing some of that too. Can you do double unders? I can't, but was trying to for awhile.
Penny I hear you about retreating to your room at times when you have houseguests. We often go to our room quite early in the evening (8ish) just to have some down time. We do have televisions in both the guest bedrooms and sometimes they just stay in
the family room. People that have been here more than once, know that's kind of what we do. We also get up really early so we do go to bed earlier than most. It is tiring to have guests, even family.

Everybody have a good day. I guess the rest of you have had a time change . . not here and I'm glad.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #22  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is unchanged. I tried out a harvest soup recipe that came recommended and it is so good! It has a lot of sweetness to it and paired nicely with some sour cream and hot sauce.

Quote:
Harvest Soup

4 Tblsp butter
Large yellow onion chopped and sautéed in butter.
Large green bell pepper
Stalk of celery
Sweet potatoe
Russet potatoe
Rutabaga
Parsnips
Turnip
1 cup shredded carrots
2 apples pealed and chopped
1 cup Cabbage chopped
Kielbasa sausage sliced thin
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon basil
Salt & pepper
4 cups chicken broth
Peel and chop veggies. Simmer until veggies are tender. Add water as needed.
Beth, sorry about your grandma. It sounds like she had a peaceful exit. Credit for the 5k, and under an hour too!

Curly, you visit with the friend sounds wonderful and good for the spirit.

Bill, LOL at the hazmat suits. Dh and I had never done the drop off before and were surprised by the curb side service. It felt like we were getting away with something.

The 3d printer was purchased as kit from Makerfarm and the first several prints were for the printer itself, upgrading knobs and such. He's made various utility items for around the house, a leather stamp for a leatherworking friend, parts of costumes. Thingaverse is the go-to website for browsing options.eta...I thought you asked where and not why we purchased the printer. The why is just cuz it's fun!

Joy, yes! I want that kitchen blocking app. Lol

Karen, we did exactly like you: to our room early and up early. Our company is gone now and we are relaxed. Whew! Enjoy your hike today.

Last edited by Penny.; 11-04-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:28 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Guy Fawkes fails to blow up parliament (1605, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, over sidewalks covered with leaves downed from the prior days wind. Only a few tree limbs were down - glad to not that. And we didn't hear of any power outages which surprises me because the wind was fierce.

Eating was OKish. I brought my bag of leftover Halloween candy to Sunday Happy Hour; the teens can consume any volume of any food left unguarded. I did have a pfeffernusse - a cookie I look forward to each year. My goal is to count this as my seasonal need and thus not buy a box of them later on.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat app - I might need to consider that to get me off when I'm just wasting time. If you make the kitchen one, I'll buy it, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Yes, once a year I'm reminded that Arizona doesn't participate in this time change nonsense. If given a chance, I vote to eliminate it across the U.S. I'm up early, by clock time, because my body doesn't shift rapidly. Yay for a good hike planned.

Penny. - Your Harvest Soup looks good. I like the notion of 1/4 cup yellow mustard in a soup.

Readers -
Quote:

Firmly saying, NO CHOICE, decreases both the struggle and the discomfort. Think about rules you already have in your life. Do you struggle over whether or not to brush your teeth? Imagine how annoying it would be if you had to fight to get yourself to do this mundane task everyday! But you don't struggle because you have a rule: I have to brush every day.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I went to bed slightly hungry so that was good. I did have some treats yesterday, not so good. I have packed a cut up apple and am going to try microwaving it at work for a healthy dessert. I'm still not planning out my food well enough. Breakfast and lunch are largely the same during the week, but I need to figure out better snacks and lighter dinners.
Last night I started the dreaded FAFSA, the financial aid form for college. The toughest part is i'm supposed to put in financials only for myself since I'm now a widow, but we filed as a couple last year-i'm supposed to subtract DH's stuff out somehow. I'm seeing a new financial advisor weds and i may ask him for some quick help on that.
Also I bought the tickets- DS and I are going to Scotland in April!! Something to look forward to.
Beth- so sorry to hear about your grandmother.
Bill- I was happily surprised about the storm too. Ooh, those cookies look good, and what a great name!
Karen- that is a splendid plan, to retire at 8 with guests. It gives them some down time too. have fun with the new gym!
Penny- you are such an awesome mom, with the coolest toys! The soup sounds great.
Gardenerjoy- I echo the kitchen blocker, i think you should patent it! Good for you for being diligent with your writing.

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-05-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #25  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning,

I figure I had better post early or it may not get done. Yesterday was a good day. I followed the food plan without a problem and had a good hike. It was a little warm since we didn't start until 10. I get so red that I swear people probably think I'm about to have a stroke, but luckily it fades once I cool down. I also did the vacuuming and got a few more groceries in the house. I'll get to the gym this morning and my guests arrive at 9:20. They are two hours from the Seattle airport, so I know they got up in the middle of the night. That about takes care of what they'll want to do today . . . rest. My sil tweaked her back, so I hope it will get better soon enough for some hiking. My bil is giving her a bad time because she did it lifting weights. He does nothing and it shows, he is very overweight.
Curlyjax How fun to have an exciting trip to look forward to. Is ds a junior in high school?
Bill I don't know if I've ever had that kind of cookie. I love cookies though, so I'm sure I'd like them.
Penny Yes, you do seem to have a lot of fun things around. Good luck with the floors today.
Wish me luck this week. It will be a little tough having this company. My bil is a pretty nice guy, but he is a a bit of a narrow minded, small town know it all. He is used to being kind of a big fish in a very small pond. He is in poor shape physically and is too stubborn to do anything to take care of his health even though his wife and kids are quite fit. I have a hair appointment and book club today, so that will give me a little time away. You all have a great start to the week.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

I have a meeting at 8:30 this morning, which messes up all of my good habits that get the day started right. I'm trying to get most of them done before I leave and I'm determined to finish the list when I get home, even though it will be mid-morning by then.

Credit for writing my 3FC post, first thing! That will remind me to be careful around the provided breakfast food and to eat two or three salads today.

November word count: 6319/50,000
Daily weighing streak: 6, Weigh-in: -0.25 kgs, Exercise: +30, 150/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #27  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still holding.

We prepped the downstairs for new flooring and now I'm bracing myself for barking dogs when the work crew gets here. I'll be trying to keep them quiet in a bedroom. My 17yo son had to move his computer to the dining table and is sleeping in my room. I'm trying not to beam too much joy at spending so much time with him, when he usually retreats to his room. It's probably unsettling for him to see me staring and grinning so much.

Bill, I've never heard of that cookie. It looks good!

Curly, aw shucks, thanks. Credit for not feeding the late night hunger.

Joy, good luck getting everything on your list managed around the meeting.

Karen, good luck with the company. It sounds like bedtime may be moving to 3pm. Lol
Old 11-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #28  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I did well with products today--and then too many carbs for dinner. DD and i went grocery shopping after dinner, though, and now there are things to cook this week--and I didn't buy many carbs so I won't be able to eat many! Candy corn was on sale--and I love candy corn. I didn't buy any. I'm sure DD being there was part of it--but I know it was the right decision.

I'm making progress on the unpacking--to the point that I'm working on artwork and decorative items. I hate boxes.

Read my cards today--need to start doing that more regularly--would help with things like carbs when out to dinner.

--Beth
Old 11-06-2018, 03:13 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 136/132/113

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone,

Was a little busy yesterday and couldn’t managed to post. I did very very well yesterday but today…eh not so much. Due to the lack of sleep, my hormones went crazy. I was HUNGRY. I ate everything I could find and just didn’t feel full. Reading my response card, reminding myself my goals, trying some of the techniques, etc, didn’t do the trick for me. I didn’t feel guilty from overeating nor did I feel happy from eating what I want because I simply felt numb the entire day….Oh well, I am over it. I believe I was eating to stay awake and alive if anything and stopped counting calories when I went over the 2000 mark. On the bright side, I still went to pilates and did my 10 minutes of jumping rope, which is something good that happened today as I am reflecting. Tomorrow will be better

Joy: Stick to it Joy! You got this.

Curly: Sounds like a very nice weekend and thank you for the welcome! I totally miss that feeling too, I understand where you are coming from.

Beth: GOOD JOB for finishing that 5K - I admire runners. I am truly sorry for your loss and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Karen: I cannot do double unders haha. I mean I tried doing it and I could land 1 out of maybe 5 or something. I am just doing a consistent regular bounce, and hoping to increase bounce per min as I build up my endurance. I am currently at 150 / min. You should join me! It only takes 10-15 minutes a day and I find it more “fun” than other cardio exercises. My calves are killing me though.

Penny: yum yum yum. I shall give it a try when I start cooking again! Thanks for sharing.

Bill: smart move to bring the candies to happy hour! Get that stuff out of sight and I guess literally out of your house too

Good Night

-Pixie

Last edited by pewpewpixie; 11-06-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - U. S. Election Day - Vote as if Democracy depended on it

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Mixed rain again. DW is ready to empty her rain barrels before a freeze arrives that could split them but is too water-frugal to let a rain pass uncaptured. My class on the brain discussed the folks who are freezing theirs in liquid nitrogen to wait for the technology to arrive that will let them live a second life. Some freeze their whole bodies; some freeze just their heads. I'm not a believer. Besides, if I can feel the curmudgeon creeping in now, just imagine how I'd feel in a hundred years trying to explain to teenagers that we once considered iPhones to be 'modern technology.' Presumably, teenagers will still roll their eyeballs, LOL.

Eating was OKish - still doing snacks because my to-do list seems to be growing rather than shrinking. The joy of the day was to return one of (3 yo) DGD's books and to choose three new ones. I told the librarian that I was no more than 50% successful choosing a book for a three-year-old. She told me, "Fifty percent is good; three year olds are terribly picky." Thanks to a librarian for making me feel better.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Breakfast food at a meeting has always been a problem for me. I'd never consider arriving without eating breakfast first so anything that I ate would be extra calories.

Karen (karenrn) - Good luck with your company for the week. Yep, folks who are quite sure of what they know can be hard conversationalists.

curlyjax - Going to bed hungry is serious Kudos worthy. Good luck with that FAFSA - that's a cruel and unusual punishment to be sure.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super Kudos for standing down Candy Corn on sale - I've put on many a pound thinking that half price candy was a bargain.

Penny. - LOL at your pour 17-year-old DS having to endure the presence of his mom. Kudos for another on plan day.

Pixie (pewpewpixie) - Ouch for a difficult day with Kudos for doing Pilates anyway. And Double Kudos for "Tomorrow will be better."

Readers -
Quote:

You also might establish other "no choice" rules. I've made some eating rule for myself that I rarely break. I don't even think much about it; I just follow them. I don't struggle, I don't feel conflicted, I don't feel deprived, and I don't end up eating food I'll be sorry about moments later.

Closed Thread