Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #301  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Family crisis with a coworker required changing my plan at 330am and I'm heading in to work. Credit for checking in, weighing (post coffee/smoothe) and committing to staying OP. I have a plan for work and for dinner.

Nelia, I will respond to your question later. Thx for asking.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #302  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The snowstorm that was in Colorado yesterday is here now. But it's 33 degrees so I don't know how much is going to stick. They're predicting a huge accumulation, but so far it's not accumulating on the driveway, so we'll see whether my exercise includes some shoveling today or tomorrow. We have an appointment with the dentist in the morning -- I'm not sure whether that's an incentive or a disincentive to get the driveway cleared.

Exercise: +60 970/1400 March

Lexxiss: glad you checked in. I thought about you when the snow in Colorado was on the news last night.

Beverlyjoy: loved reading your report of the wedding -- such a delight!

IBelieveInMe2: thanks for the book recommendation, 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle. I've had that checked out before and, at that time, it seemed too much the same. But, right now, I need something that's the same but a little different so it's perfect. I just re-requested it.

veganasaurusrex: I love your idea to let weekends be a time when you re-group and review and get ready for a new week.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #303  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was within normal calories ranges BUT not what I wrote down. This is a terrible rut I am in. I make mental changes standing in the kitchen and then don't eat dinner. This behavior is not meeting my healthy goals. Today's goal is to eat ONLY what I have written down. No messing around.

I have been thinking about Gandhi's quote: BE the change you desire. We have a few teachers at school who are TERRIBLE—burned out lecturers who refuse to use any modern teaching methods. Here is my thinking. It may be as hard for me to eat ONLY on plan as it is for those teachers to change. If I can do something hard like staying OP maybe I can have compassion or insight into how hard changing is for them. Then maybe something will happen. I don't know what. I know it sound a little Mumbo Jumbo but can really anyone say how change occurs?

Weight at ticker not because of eating too much but because of a big bowl of salty chicken soup and the Tylenol pm I took because I hurt my shoulder in yoga yesterday.

Nalla: I can certainly understand the blackout stage. Posting does help get out of it.
Beverleyjoy: t is always nice to read how much you enjoy children. i agree they are the best thing at any wedding.
Lexxiss: Sorry for the 3:30 am call. Wow. I don't know if I could accept that with grace and dignity.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #304  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5΄7

Hello there Coaches,

So I started reading Chapter 1 and haven΄t taken notes yet, but what I highlighted in my book was "I can start again right this moment". It is so true - why do I need to wait till tomorrow. If I had a larger meal than I planned on having, I just have less at the next meal. If I overate, then just move on...

Sounds so simple and is actually a pretty tough task.

I will read Chapter 2 today and see what other great things I will learn.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #305  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/friends/beckfolk:

I am back for personals today. Still enjoying thinking about the fun wedding yesterday. Billbe reminded me about the 'twirling report' lol - Yes, the girls and I did some twirling. Six year old Adam looked horrified when I asked him to join in. Like... 'boys don't twirl'. However, he give us one twirl. Fun.

Today I slept until 8am. That's very late for me. I didn't even eat breakfast until 10am. That's very late too. I feel kind of off 'schedule'. I got this morning and stepped on the scale. I've been around 210 this week. The salty chicken at the wedding must have not effected me. Glad for that.

maryann - I can relate to not staying with the daily plan -but, often still staying within the perimeter of my food plan. It can be a slippery slope, for sure. It's a good reminder you've actually given to me to be more dilligent. Thanks. Hooray for getting your writing sent out!!! Also, credit for not eating extra when feeling the stress of writing. YAY

gardnerjoy - shoveling snow certainly counts as good exercise. Good luck at the dentist tomorrow. Love the photos of the orchids. Glad you got to participate in the blogfest.

lexxiss/debbie - Credit for being able to change 'gears' quickly and still make and commit to a plan. Yes, shovelling counts as exercise!!

billbe - oops regarding four meals. Yes, people think folks need food for any king of gathering (happy or sad) Glad you got in a good walk.

Ibelieveinme2 - I can relate to having times where it's hard to stay focussed on the whole weight loss thing. Hop right back on your plan and you will be fine. The thing about the Beck techniques is that we can just pick them up again and go forward. I am going to check out the website you mentioned.

vegan/rex
- credit for saying with Beck tasks even though you had a 6 year old in the mix of it all. Credit for the three dog walks!

Neilia - credit for the honesty you bring to where you are in your Beck program. Yes, we can restart at any point, for sure.

nationalparker - I always say that shovelling is good exercise. Yum.. those turkey brushetta sound delish!

onebyone it's amazing how much folks talk about food... you are so right about that. Credit for getting on the scale - it keeps it all real. I know for myself - it's not so easy sometimes.

xena - glad you posted. I will be anxious to hear what you think of it all. Carry on.

I hope you all have a GREAT day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-24-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #306  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Blustery day with the snow now expected to pick up heavy this afternoon through the night. I have been doing office work steady since 8 a.m. and looking for a break. Ate through lunch and splurged with orange danish rolls for breakfast - DH hadn't heard of them, so i HAD to make them, right? Can recoup the day with a veggie-laden dinner for nutritional purposes.

BeverlyJoy - Sounds like a wonderful day at the wedding full of smiles. I had a few chlidren at my wedding and did up small gift boxes that I wrapped at their seats - crayons, stickers, small puzzle/coloring books and they were occupied and happy.

IBelieveInMe - I downloaded all of the stuff for the 100 Day Challenge, and got sidetracked after maybe 4-5 days. Let me know if you're ever in it and want to commit with a buddy. We're going camping to Rocky Mountain National Park in late summer, and I could do my 100-day challenge in advance.

Better check in tonight to report a healthy dinner, hopefully. Need to be accountable to add some nutrition into my day.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #307  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

Oh man! So frustrating when you switch from page to page and lose a well thought out post. I was commenting on what zen moment it is my house with the kiddo working on an art project and both dogs sleeping. Then the project was finished, now both dogs are running around like crazy and I have to try and recreate that feeling of peace!

In the abbreviated version - Ready my ARC, sat down for all my meals and now I'm on day 4 and I'm giving myself credit! Today I get credit for reading my ARC, taking my vitamins, sitting to eat, posting here and reading my next Beck step. All credit worthy and I'm proud of it!

Hopefully next week continues to go well, and I'd love to recreate all my personal messages but there's just no more time.

nationalparker If you can tell me where to download the materials for 100 day challenge, I'm interested in joining the party too!

Strength and good choices to all of you today!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #308  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello everyone! I am rewriting mY ARCs and reading and planning for the week. I am doing well with eating sitting down and now trying to remember to give myself credit for all the little things I am doing for myself. This does not come naturally to me!

Thank you BBE for the suggestion of just reading one book at a time! I am excited to start and have the pink book, the workbook and the Diet for Life book too...much better to take it one at a time!

Credit to me for...reading advantages and several response cards, reading the Beck Diet for Life book, for giving credit and for sitting down while eating. I also made a plan to go try aqua Zumba tomorrow night! My neighbor plans to go with me but sounds less committed to going so I am preparing myself to go alone even if she cannot come with me.

I am going to shoot some hoops with my daughter and the neighbor kids now...til tomorrow Becksters!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #309  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all.

What a weekend! As a party, it was an incredible success. Our event last yer had a 103 people (typical for the last 5-6 years). This year--136. Yes, 1/3 more. There were some panicked moments and some store runs, but we fed everyone (we almost ran out of food Friday night for dinner, and would have run out Saturday lunch and night if not for store runs and an increased carry out order!) Everyone had an absolutely terrific time.

Sleep: not so much--maybe 6 hours Friday night and 4 Saturday. (I just got up from a 4 hour 'nap')

Food: not OP at all. I am not beating myself up for this. I wish I'd logged everything into MFP, but I didn't. I ate a lot of sweets. Not good, but I held myself to the homemade ones. (There were at least 100 dozen baked items) However, this is a weekend I would normally have horribly overeaten -- more food, more snacks, more everything, so I am pleased that I ate less than I would have in years past.

Exercise: no planned exercise, but I was pretty much non-stop from morning to late late late night. (Saturday was a 9:00 - 4:00 day, but that 4:00 was am, not pm!

Many people told me I looked great--"I don't know what you're doing, but you look great!" A few people (especially the men who really appreciate women) definitely noticed the weight loss of 20 lbs. (That is not a slam at these guys--and all three are really good friends--they're just appreciative :-).

I am most worried about the fact that I still have hundreds of cookies in my house--some of which are for next week's "thank you to the volunteers" party. I'm going to do some difficult reorganizing tomorrow evening, freeze some, bag some on trays, and then put them totally out of mind. The bags of chips and candy that are left for next weekend's party.

It'll be a few weeks before I'm totally recovered--letters to write, final receipts to scan and record, final finances to figure out, all of the party supplies in the garage to re-organize and store in the basement for next year.

But, it was a huge success--the programs and presentations were fantastic, the food was fantastic (YAY to BFF and me!), the people were fantastic. I had a great, exhausting, exhilarating time.

Tomorrow, back to totally OP. Unfortunately, I am going into it without a plan since I'm about to collapse without doing my Sunday evening grocery planning. I do know what tomorrow breakfast and lunch are, though.

So, even though I didn't stay OP, I feel totally committed to being back OP tomorrow, and that's just the way things are. I'm not beating myself up over the weekend--and it really was a terrific party!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #310  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Life is going to be hectic for the next few days so I'm going to post as I can...disregard the fact that it is 1AM. Ouch. I did weigh, however, and have a plan for today. I was OP yesterday. It helped going to bed early to counter "tired" which is part of the reason I'm up now....trying to make the most of it.

BBE, nice weather...it sounds like. Are you going to get any of the storm that rolled through here? Ouch for all that potluck food. I often remind myself that one only needs to bring the quantity that fits on one (or two) plates but everyone always brings giant casseroles and scads of cookies....

BethfromDayton, congrats for a successful event!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #311  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another day when walking in the brisk, CREDIT moi, felt especially good. It's not warm enough to melt all the snow, but those mushy puddles at every intersection are no longer there. And the sidewalks are clear.

Food was snaky - Ouch. I encountered a container of dark-chocolate covered raisins that triggered the neurons from last weekend when it was similar dark-covered chocolate stuff that led me astray. At the grocery store I was grateful that all the junk Easter candy - displayed in giant mounds as if inevitable that you'll buy it - was milk-chocolate, which doesn't tempt me. Even when it's half price next Monday, it won't tempt me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at pondering whether a dental appointment is incentive to shovel or not.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – You're a true friend to rescue a friend with a family crisis. Yay for a plan. [I'm hoping that all you kind Midwesterners keep the snow so we don't see it. I was raised to bring too much to a potluck - as if I alone were responsible for everyone who forgets to bring a dish as well as those who want third helpings.]

Beverlyjoy – Yay for twirls at the wedding. And Double Yay for a six year old boy doing one twirl. Perhaps you can get him to watch Billy Elliot to confront the notion that boys don't dance.

maryann - Whether "Mumbo Jumbo" or not, it is amazing how much we want change and don't really know how to make it happen. Ouch for the hurting shoulder.

nationalparker – Hope all that predicted snow isn't outside your door right this minute. Yep, finding out that your DH hasn't heard of a treat is perfect justification for making it. A good Google search should be able to find some 10,000 treats he hasn't heard of for future use, LOL.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for creating and surviving a monster party (136 - WOW). Kudos for making a plan for dealing with a house filled with hundreds of cookies.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Yay for those zen moments that prevent parents from going crazy - thanks for reminding me. Kudos for "All credit worthy and I'm proud of it!"

Rosebud170 – Yep, this business of giving oneself credit is a hard one for me, also. Kudos for planning to do your aqua Zumba even if the neighbor doesn't join you.

Xena2013 – Great choice to highlight, "I can start again right this moment." Kudos for recognizing that the simple can be tough.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
How to Use the Beck Diet Solution

Looking Forward
If you follow the 42 steps in the six-week Beck Diet Solution program, you'll find that dieting is easier than it ever has been in the past. Like the dieters I've worked with in person, by e-mail, or over the phone, you'll discover the following things:
  • Your cravings will diminish.
  • You won't panic when you're a little hungry.
  • You'll automatically plan what you're going to eat each day.
  • You'll consistently follow your plan, even on speial occasions.
  • You'll feel good about turning down food instead of feeling deprived.
  • You'll be proud of yourself.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 47.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #312  
Green Tomatoes

DH actually went through on the notion that we didn't need to get out for a few days. So we have some 8 inches or more of snow and we haven't shoveled. At least, not yet. I anticipate he may get antsy later today. My exercise yesterday was Zumba on the Wii which was warm and wonderful!

Exercise: +70 1040/1400 March

bethFromDayton: glad your event went well! It sounds wonderful!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #313  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5΄7

I can't tell you how eye opening reading this book is. I am so excited!

I will write my ARCs tonight and let u know what else I highlighted.

My plan is to work througj this book in the next six weeks, then do it again with the workbook for six weeks and then get the beck diet for life. I am sick and tired of bingeing, starting over, being ashamed of my body, avoiding events/people cuz there is food involved...

March 25, 2013 is a new start into a happier life not just a slimmer me. I can tell how my thinking already changed from the first three chapters.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #314  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

100% OP. I only ate what I wrote. It felt very good and during the hard parts of the day, I consciously made a mental note, "This is what hard feels like." Credit. I am hoping to bring that compassion about change to work this week.

Food is logged in MFP. Credit step class. There is an older woman (in her mid 60's?) that does the class. I admire her so much and want to be her in 15 years. The class is fast moving, up and down dance movements on a 8 inch platform. Not a lot of mid 60's people dare to do it. Nice for me to have a visible goal.

BethfromDayton: Congrats on the party. If things get bad with the cookies in the house remember Beverleyjoy's trick—dishwater soap and in the trash ( because I have been known to pick things out of the trash.) Like Beck says, it is wasted in your body or wasted in the trash.
Xena2013: Thanks for reminding me about starting over anytime in the day. I can never hear that enough.
BBE: Remember when Easter was just a few jelly beans near the checkout stand with the plastic green grass. How did this madness happen?

Last edited by maryann; 03-25-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #315  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Monday: first day of a week filled with potential

Hey Beckster Coaches!

Wow, am I ever behind! I've been reading all of the wonderful posts. Thank you everyone for sharing/supporting. I am still giving thanks for finding this group.

Did OP Friday until we watched a movie after dinner--and broke out the chocolate covered cherries. Jeez. I had seven--which is still better than in the past when I would just start with #1 and not stop until the box was empty. Saturday went well, including dinner out with friends. But I had more wine with dinner than I'd planned.

I started feeling discontented with Weight Watchers. (Although it's more like the old break-up line--"it's not you, it's me".) Something about the points feel "squishy" and the zero-points foods give me more room for ST & LTM (lying to myself). It's not WW fault. But I also had a frustrating experience with their Activity Link (activity monitor akin to FitBit) and utterly horrible customer service where things got more & more snarled even after 10 days of daily phone time. Finally just trashed it, canceled the AL acct, & got a FitBit. So general WW alienation going here.

When AL worked, I DID like how it integrated with the WW etools & food plan. So when I looked online to see if anything integrated with FB, I found MyFitnessPal. I know some of you have mentioned it, so I dived in. I LOVE it! The combination of FB & MFP are great, and appeal to my OCD numbers/monitoring nature. Also, logging every calorie feels more structured & honest. (Although... I have struggled so much with it, can't say I fully trust myself to keep following through. But... so far, so good.) Oh... and although the FB is 100 bucks (I got mine for $75 at REI with a coupon), there is no ongoing charge for the tracking like there is w/AL. And of course, MFP is free unlike WW. So extra bonus.

Tough times at home. DH is struggling with my head-shaving this Friday. I'm struggling with his struggling. Sigh. I'm more than my hair.

Jo - Vegan...rex - Thanks so much for the info on HabitRPG. It sounds very fun, so if you hear about a mobile app, please let me know. You asked about the link to Oprah/Chopra meds. I will try to post it, but last time the website bouncer said I wasn't a citizen in long enough standing to put in links. [Yup, they wouldn't let me submit with the link] Try OprahDeepakmeditation dot com for the entry page.

NationalParker - Here's to a reasonable judge & child support. I enjoy yoga a lot--took my first class at the Amarillo, TX YMCA when most people considered it one of those "weird Eastern things". It's one of those totally good-for-me things that I unexplainably work to avoid.

BeverlyJoy - WTG on so many healthy days. The wedding sounded so beautiful, and kudos to you & your DH for bringing such JOY (Beverly & otherwise) to the occasion. Also congratulations on your planning your eating behavior in advance! CREDIT!

BillBE - Kudos on the walk and gym. You always have the most interesting sidelights to share, and you manage to do it with such brevity. A skill I aspire to, but ramble far long of. You mentioned that we LET you post every day about your walks and resisting Thin Mints. That is incorrect. We INSIST on it. (If it's possible to make anything mandatory here.) At the very least, we eagerly anticipate it. The weather has warmed up to the balmy 20s, but there have still been death threats on the groundhog.

Rosebud - Credit for reading your ARCs and planning, as well as for your determination to go to aqua Zumba. (Speaking of "aqua": You had asked about the FitBit. The new one coming out--the Flex I think--is waterproof. The Fitbit One is not. However, I like that the One tracks stairs, which the Flex will not. The Lord giveth. The Lord taketh away....)

Maryann - Sounds like you've been doing great OP! Congrats on your thesis, writing, and submission.

Xena - You are off to such a great start! Love the part about how your thinking had changed in just three chapter. When I mail books at the post office, & they ask if anything is "fragile, liquid, perishable, or potentially hazardous", I will tell them that since books have started revolutions, I must reveal that the contents could be potentially hazardous. Sounds like Beck is inciting you to your personal revolution.

Beth - Congratulations on your spectacularly successful event and for basking in the well-deserved appreciation for the -20#, as well as for your awareness of your eating and keeping it to the really SPECIAL treats. Good luck with the cookies. Remember that they have nothing to do with you.

Onebyone - Welcome back to normal living! (Whatever that is.) Hugs to Looloo and hope she makes good progress.

IBelieveinMe2 - Good for your reading your ARCs! Glad you're checking in, and hope things at home are becoming more peaceable.

Debbie - (Lexiss) - Big credit for checking in during the middle of the night with change of plans, work looming, etc. And planning! WTG!

Joy (GardenerJoy) - Enjoyed hearing about your breathing exercises. That is so overlooked, when it's the most vital ingredient to our existence--and when used well can positively impact so much. Thank you for reminding us of that and sharing the book title.

Tazzy - Hi I'm so envious of your Jillian M tickets. Congratulations on "steady". We so need steady in an unsteady world.

Here's to a great week, everyone!

xo
Liz

Last edited by Lizagna; 03-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Closed Thread