Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

Another day and all is well..... well except that the scale seems to be stuck. I guess the upside to that is that it isn't going up. I'm feeling better even though the scales aren't rewarding me with concrete evidence. 1 hour class of yoga this afternoon (credit).

Midnightsun68--What a precious puppy. What kind is it? It's hard to be depressed when a puppy is around. Maybe he will be just what you need to help get back on track.

BillBlueEyes and gardenerjoy-- nice to find other readers. Although I like to sit and hold a "real" book, I have been feeding that addiction lately audible books in the car and books downloaded to the iPad. Because this little hobby can get expensive I have recently listened to some favorites agaShanghainghi Girls and Water for Elephants. I'm also a fan of the Dan Brown books.

Lexxiss Mexican food can certainly be a diet killer. It's a main part of the diet where I live. Actually, my dinner tonight was a half order of chfajitasahitas. I didn't eat the tortillas or rice, and most of all, I avoided the chips (big credit for that )

Tomorrow is Friday!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #182  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

HaleyJu,
Yukon is a Springador, he is half English Springer Spaniel and half Chocolate Lab, he isn't home with me just yet, I am friends with his breeder and they have agreed to housebreak him for me before he comes home, I am hoping to have him home with me a week from this coming Tuesday but we will see, in the mean time I go out there weekly to visit him and yes he is an inspiration and so is my god nephew Gabriel, here is a cute picture of him, I call it the cookie face he is my pride and joy as well as his momma's and his grandma's.
Jaye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (25.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #183  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - D*rn Dan Brown. I thought I'd just read the first chapter of Digital Fortress to see if I'd like it. Well, it consumed all my spare time for the day; I'm hooked. "Like potato chips but no calories." I even missed it when I went for my walk (CREDIT moi). Good news: I walked past Whole Foods but didn't go in for FREE samples.

Better news: it was my second day with snacks under plan, CREDIT moi, and meals on plan as usual. At one point I reached out for one of the Cherry Tomatoes in the bowl that DW had just brought in, but then paused to entertain the thought that mindless munching while standing up was a bad idea even if it just a homegrown Cherry Tomato. So, I acted like a man with a plan and skipped it. Dinner was DW's 16 bean soup. Bean soup is so right when it's chilly out.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Just the thought of sorting the boxes for photos just gives me the willies. Kudos for charging forth. I know about those "kinks."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Extra Kudos for real time mom control - family does seem to want drama. Carefully planning your family outing seems smart when there's so much opportunity to go wrong.

Jaye (Midnightsun68) - Laughing at the expression on Yukon's face; that pup's gonna keep you busy, alright. I join the others in hoping you can find a way to start with some small strategies to help get your psyche ready for your planned October 1st restart - even if just the Eat Sitting Down part.

HaleyJu - Kudos for keeping the faith without immediate scale gratification. And Yep, indeed, Extra Kudos for avoiding the chips at a Mexican Restaurant.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Raising Your Maintenance Range

Keep in mind that you might decide to raise your maintenance weight at some point. This will probably happen for one of three reasons:
. . .. . .
. . .2. You have made a reasonable decision to exercise less. You are still exercising enough to be healthy, but you don't have the time right now to do extra exercise; or perhaps an injury has limited your exercise capabilities.
. . .. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 184.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Default Happy to be back...

Hi everyone,

I am returning to this group after about a year and a half away. I was an active participant back in the winter and early spring of 2011. Then I dropped off because I became pregnant! I was miserably sick during my first two trimesters, but over all gained within reason. I then was challenged by Postpartum Depression, and the weight dropped off really quickly (too quickly). I (along with my DH) now have a beautiful and healthy 8 month old daughter, and am feeling emotionally well (for the most part) and have found myself falling back into some old patterns of eating sugary foods that I don't need (especially at night), and all the thinking patterns that sabotage. I've also been struggling to find time to keep up the exercise routine I established on my maternity leave, since I have been back at work. I've been thinking about what I could do to get back on track and maintain the healthier weight I'm at now (I'm about where I was when I became pregnant, which was a 20 pound loss from my heaviest weight). I remembered what a wonderful and supportive and nonjudgmental group this was, and decided I want to come back. I look forward to connecting with those who were on here before and meeting those of you who I didn't intersect with. Life is a little crazy with my DD, but I will try my best to do personals when I can.
I'm happy to be back!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #185  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Coaches

Hi Coaches:

Checking in this morning to report I faced the scale and it is -2.4lbs from my last weigh-in and I saw 255.5lbs.
Phew.
SO WORRIED that it would be 260+ justlikethat. I, however, feel 290+: heavy, sluggish, overfull. I did cook from scratch for breakfast and ate sitting down and half of what I have recently eaten, so credit for this.

Coaches, I saw some of the pictures (oooo my nemesis) from our drawing event during the event and afterwards and gee. My gut reaction was "I don't look like I've lost 40lbs" I don't either. I am still wide and large and I still dwarf my drawing friends. My face is super round still and I gave up sucking in my gut at about age 35, when I realized I'd been sucking it in since I was a teen. I can't even do that anymore and so it all hangs out so to speak. Like an inch or two would matter. I was *very* down about that too, but this morning I am grateful to be 255.5 and grateful to be healthy to fight the good fight and to see my next round of drawing group pictures, which may be in March. Hopefully there will be a change. No there WILL be a different me in those images.

My DH has been superannoying lately. I came home and his pants are so baggy on him. He eats tiny dinners now. Last night ONE chicken leg and veggies. Me? 2 chicken breasts, a grain mix(barley, rice, wild rice) which he can't eat due to hisi diabetes, and then some veggies, but only for serving #1. I had 2 servings of food, no veggies in the second although they were available to me, and what the bag said was I ate 4 servings of grains. At one sitting. I was UNWILLING to eat less. Of course, DH confessed he'd gotten into wine gums at work, a fav of his from way back and a REAL BIG nono. And I had skipped lunch as I was painting for my weekend studio tour. (I'm way too late to get what I want done done for the event. I'm dipping into old paintings.) Coaches, I am thrilled he's losing weight and, mostly, avoiding what he needs to avoid, but I don't want to be left behind!

Anyway, got some worrying news about my mom last night. My sister was surprised I am so worried about it but man, I really don't want another trip up there anytime soon. It may be unavoidable. Looks like they have to move her from her room with a balcony to a room without a balcony, as she is dropping garbage from the balcony (2nd floor). Moving her is something that may cause many bad things to happen as a result. I am worrying over things that have not yet happened. I need to stop that and take care of what's in front of me. It's her birthday today, although about 10 years ago she decided it was the 27th, not the 28th. She told me, during my childhood years, that I was the 5th of Nov, then it was the 3rd of Nov and finally, in a baby book, I saw someone had written the 4th of Nov and so I've gone with the one written down. We're fast and loose with that kind of detail in my family. Either way, she turned 85. She was diagnosed at 80, when she lost her driver's license on a required driver's test. Everything changed that year.

Must go. I am demoing painting at the mall this afternoon as promotion for the local studio tour in a few weeks, and dropping off work for the other studio tour before I get to the mall. Busy. Free and clear tonight though.

My goal is to be on plan today.
"Plan"= three meals a day, nothing in between, cooked from scratch if possible, one serving only, 5minutes of planned exercise on the wii fit.

Coaches, send me good thoughts today if you are so inclined.

Midnightsun68 You have already started back on plan with Beck as you are checking in with your coaches. CREDIT Every action we take toward our goals counts. EVERY ONE. Just keep doing whatever you can... there is no time limit here. *hug*
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #186  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

back, ChefJoona, and congrats on your new baby!

We're rushing around trying to get out the door, but I did weigh, despite the voice that said there wasn't time. credit. Good to check in here, too. Food was acceptable yesterday, with both meals out. I made good choices, although I could have eaten a little less. No snacks inbetween, however, which was great.

Off to see the leaves. I'm going to see if I can find a healthy lunch venue in the town we're headed towards.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #187  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches and Buddies,
I got on the scale this morning for the first time in probably at least 2 weeks and was very pleased to see that I am not as far off track as I thought I was because I am BELOW the 260 mark again and this time not just by a pound but by 2.2 pounds

Bill I love the expression on his face in that picture as well and yep I will have my hands full with him!

Well gotta go get ready for my appointment
Jaye
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #188  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Crawling back into the light. When I started with Beck this summer, I found I just didn't have the concepts well enough under my belt to deal with the things that came up.

My dear Cairn Finn died a month ago and my son started to manifest some real problems in his school. I just started eating anything I wanted--mercifully I think I only gained 3 pounds.

So here I am again, with a Finn-shaped hole in my heart and a pack-o-trouble elsewhere. I'm back because I do want to get the concepts right. Beck is a good thing and I need such.

BillBlueEyes: For me right now, the fave potboiler is the Game of Thrones novels. Besides food, they've been my other drug of choice for the down times.

Starting with Step One.

spanky

Last edited by spanky; 09-28-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Sounds like a lot of troubles today. I'm there with you. I'm hungry -- could go eat my way through plenty of good food and easily dig into the bad stuff too (credit so far that I haven't). I wanted the Friday night glass of wine-- but avoided that too (credit on that, too). I feel like it wouldn't take much to tip to the bad side. I have a couple of days of challenges coming up. There will be no plan to eating-- the only thing I can do it try to make the best choices I can given the circumstances at the time.

The scale hasn't dropped this week and I will be incredibly bummed if I come home and find that Monday morning it is back up. I'm not sure I am strong enough to handle a backtrack yet without having a pity party with carbs.

I think I need to go to bed.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #190  
Green Tomatoes

Great to see ChefJoona! Yay for the little chef addition to the family!

And welcome back, also to spanky!

Mostly AWOL on every level today, but credit for exercising and getting done what had to be done even when I didn't want to do it. Maybe I'll write about it tomorrow. Going to bed now.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #191  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Third day in a row back in the saddle with my snacks under control, CREDIT moi. Meals remain on plan, CREDIT moi, but that's the easy part for me. At dinner last night I left half my serving of baked sweet potato just because I was already satisfied, CREDIT moi again, since it's still a challenge for me to learn to leave food on my plate that's going to be trashed. DW keeps reminding me that it's not going to waste - it's going to feed our pet worms in the compost heap. I had several thoughts of grabbing some nuts or dried fruit throughout the day and waved them off.

Walked to gym, CREDIT moi, wearing my rain jacket against the threat of a shower that didn't happen. They continue to rearrange the equipment for reasons that are never apparent to me, but it does give me the task of selecting a new place to do each set of 20 dreaded lunges in a straight line.

onebyone – Sending good thoughts into your whirl of busy, busy, busy. Happy 85th Birthday to your mom - regardless of what day. Imprecise birthdays is a bit unusual. Good luck confronting the nemesis of pictures and sticking to today's plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Getting that which needs to be done when I don'wanna remains a big one for me.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, Kudos for standing down the little voice that suggests not to weigh. "Acceptable" is good when it includes two meals out.

ChefJoona - Welcome to Joona Junior! It's easy to imagine that an 8 month old daughter provides ample lifting exercise throughout the day as part of that "little crazy." Sugary foods affects my mind more than it does my body - I just stop thinking and want more. Have you decided on an eating plan?

spanky - Sending supportive thoughts as you heal the "Finn-shaped hole" in your heart. Starting with Step One is a good place to be. [I haven't gotten into Game of Thrones yet.]

Jaye (Midnightsun68) - Love the Mona Lisa smile on "cookie face." Congrats on that kilo below 260 on the scale.

HaleyJu - Yep, Kudos indeed for avoiding the "Friday night glass of wine." It's smart to recognize that you might get your thinking thwacked by scale jiggle - Beck has some good sections about learning to live the ups as well as the downs.

Readers -
Quote:

Raising Your Maintenance Range

Keep in mind that you might decide to raise your maintenance weight at some point. This will probably happen for one of three reasons:
. . .. . .
. . .3. You want to have more calories to spend. Perhaps you want to eat out more or indulge in an extra glass of wine several evenings a week. I want you to have a wonderful life! Of course. I want you to stay in control of your eating and weight, but I don't want you to stay so focused on the number on the scale and your daily calorie allotment that you miss out on getting as much enjoyment as you can. If the extra calories are worth it to you, then have them! It's fine to decide to eat more as long as you consciously make the decision to do so and haven't gotten loose with your eating. Just make sure that you continue to use good eating habits and get appropriate nutrition. Consider adding up to 200 more calories to your daily allotment (knowing that you may gain a few pounds), either temporarily or permanently. This is a legitimate change to your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 184-185.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #192  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning Coaches.
I am so sorry to read about everyone struggles. Remember this too shall pass. Some once said that failing to plan is planning to fail, For me this is so true. I have found that having a plan is working so far, so to all of you who suggested to me I should have a plan I thank you.

Onebyone, when I read about you seeing a picture of yourself, I am reminded of the picture of you with the children and the butterfly (I think), where you appeared to be full of joy. You looked very happy in that picture.

Hello to spanky and ChefJoona, welcome back.

Today it is beautiful outside so far. I am off for a walk,

Have a wonderful Saturday.
Enjoy your day.
Ann

Update, Bill I guess I was posting at the same time you were. I was surprised you hadn't posted, now that I see you post all is right in the world, well my world anyway...lol.

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 09-29-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #193  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

So. I made a new and updated Advantage Response Card. One of the new reasons for losing weight is to learn and master the Beck concepts so that I can keep it off when it is finally gone. And to be able to weather the stressful times in life without eating my way through them.

Tonight is our 7th anniversary. We're both reading Game of Thrones and we rented the first disc to see if the movie is as fun as the book. We settled on that since we can't leave our son even for a date night just now--but we're both pretty geeked to see if the actors look like the characters we've imagined while reading!

Today I have a plan, have posted to y'all, and will go over Step Two again. Credit X 3!

I'll report in tomorrow....spanks

Last edited by spanky; 09-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #194  
Green Tomatoes

I've had a frustrating weekend so far and it's not entirely clear if it's going to get better. I intended to do one thing, got pulled off to a different thing, but my energy stayed with the first because I never really accepted that I wasn't going to do it. In fact, I'm still hoping to do it tomorrow, but a startling number of things have already intruded on the one day that I thought I was going to be able to control my time.

And, I ate over it.

And, I'm kind of worried that the next two months are going to be exactly like the last two days. That I've promised myself that I would do certain things and promised others that I would do certain things and that they're all going to meet like a head-on train wreck.

DH promises that I'll feel better in the morning. He's probably right. I wanted to get a report here, though, because it grounds me to do it once a day. That in itself will help me feel better in the morning, knowing that at least I posted here today.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #195  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Goodbye September

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had a good walk for exercise, CREDIT moi. Lots of folks were out and about in a lovely New England Fall day.

But I encountered a problem: stumbled on the "Customer Appreciation Day" for a Whole-Foods-like place that I like. Up to that point, my eating was on plan, including snacks, CREDIT moi. But there I lost it. I sampled almost all of the FREE snacks - thinking a bit about their high prices as if I was going to recuperate a year's worth in one eating frenzy. Big Ouch! I didn't pull out my repertoire of Helpful Responses - Not About Me has worked in that kind of situation in the past. Fortunately, several items were packaged granola bars which came home untouched. So I let it take the place of part of my lunch and two snacks and then had a light dinner. And charge forth.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Do I ever recognize, "a startling number of things have already intruded on the one day" - Kudos for recognizing how much that impacts your brain so you can find acceptance.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - "I have found that having a plan is working" - love hearing it. Bush whacking through the world is the recipe for mindless eating.

spanky - Happy Seventh Anniversary. Hope the Game of Thrones movie met your joint expectations. It's helpful to me to read, "to be able to weather the stressful times in life without eating my way through them."

Readers -
Quote:

Before You Move On

Keep increasing your exercise, filling out your Stage 4 Success Skills Sheet, contacting your Diet Buddy, and adding to your Advantages Deck and Memory Box.

I would like you to proceed to Stage 5 right away. But be alert for time when you may need to reread Stage 4. You may want to try additional experiments, assess whether you are slipping into loose eating, change your general plan, or decide if you should declare yourself in maintenance. Use Stage 4, as needed, for the rest of your life to ensure that you enjoy all of the benefits of flexible eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 185.
Closed Thread