Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Well, I'm here to say I need to work on being happy to succeed. All was well yesterday, but I felt a little uneasy with my last post. As if I was bragging and you're not supposed to do that!

So after a difficult conversation with my parents (they're fine, just bad communicators!) I actually stopped and thought about eating. I told myself I should just go to bed or else I would eat. But I didn't go to bed. And I did eat. Standing up, too. Another 230 calories over plan.

I can adjust for this during the course of the week with more planning, but it is disheartening to see how close the slipping can be.

Credit to me for posting and credit for back to plan this morning.

Onebyone, I felt every word of your post.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #77  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches and Buddies,
I just wanted to come on and share a major victory I had tonight. When I was drinking soda my absolute favorite soda to drink was Mountain Dew, well tonight I was at my best friends house and her husband had made a run to the store, her adult daughter was having a rough night having had stuff stolen out of her purse after leaving it in the bathroom at the local Walmart, anyways Shane walked in carrying 2 24 ounce cans of Diet Mountain Dew and gave one to his wife and one to her daughter Jess (his step daughter) and goes to hand me one of the regular Mountain Dew 24 Oz cans, I looked at him and said "I don't drink soda anymore, thanks for the thought but no thank you!"

That is the first time I have been offered a soda and refused it without given it any thought at all!

Jaye
Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Seems like repetition; food was good except for some extra tree nuts. CREDIT moi for the day of on plan eating; Ouch for the nuts. The bag is now empty, I won't replace it. I will get adequate nuts in my life from the un-roasted pecans that I use in my sandwich for lunch (roasted pecans call my name). Lentils for dinner were particularly satisfying in the chilly evening.

My long walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping by the Goodwill that previously had had the Physician's Desk Reference for $2. Fortunately it had been sold so that I didn't have to revisit that decision. Cross country training has begun for the local high schools. They run the same paths that I walk. It's noteworthy that the girls get far more exercise per mile than the guys: I could hear the girls' constant chattering from a distance - all at once (a cardio stress); from the guys, I only heard an occasional "F***ing right," LOL.

onebyone Interesting that you observe that "I SHOULD BE" is the kind of thinking that "makes me go up". (Note period outside just to feel sassy.) Who dat in your Avatar?

Joy (gardenerjoy) Just love it when the scale tracks our behavior.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Yay for "Plan plan plan is on my mind."

FutureFitChick Kudos for that "NO CHOICE" on the dessert.

Jaye (Midnightsun68) - Countering an offered Mountain Dew with "no thank you!" deserves Super Kudos.

TeachMe - Turning down the pizza right in front of you was superb - Kudos. Sabotaging Thoughts are so creative, "I could have a small bit and forego the apple." And Kudos again for dealing with your parents without eating about it. My take is that bragging is exactly what we do here by giving ourselves credit - it's important and there's nowhere in real life we can tell someone that we didn't eat a candy bar yesterday, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Develop a General Plan

When they first come to see me, many dieters initially resist the idea of limiting their breakfast and lunch choices. They believe they will always want to have a large variety of foods. I tell them that's fine; in fact, I want them to try as many different options as possible. But I almost always find that down the line, they just naturally end up eating a limited variety of foods because they discover, as Ginny did, that having fewer choices makes their lives easier and they now know which foods really work best for them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 180.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

In retrospect, I chose the wrong day to go looking for photos of my recently deceased classmate from when he was my date to Junior Prom and to send a sympathy card to my aunt regarding my recently deceased cousin and to write checks to charities in honor of both. On September 11th. On a Tuesday when I was alone. There was chocolate involved in the aftermath, eaten while standing. But that's over and done and I was back on plan by supper.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise: +45 640/1400 minutes for September, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Love this: there's nowhere in real life we can tell someone that we didn't eat a candy bar yesterday

I just wrote this on a thread elsewhere on 3FC: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...oing-good.html
I thought I'd paste it here because it's so much about what our Beck forum does for me:

I used to be like that. When I was eating badly, I couldn't imagine how I would ever get back to healthy eating again. When I was eating well, I couldn't imagine why I would ever go back to eating badly. Either phase could go for weeks at a time, but I didn't see a path from one to another.

What finally changed was putting enough structures in place that I get back to my healthy lifestyle pretty quickly, before there's time for the downward spiral that Melissa talks about above to get in place. Case in point: yesterday. I had an overeating episode in the afternoon. But I ate my planned supper and reported my exercise on 3FC last night as I normally would. And here I am this morning about to write my morning report in the Beck support thread as I normally do. I've already switched back to the upward spiral.

Once I got those structures in place, I became confident that I would get back to my healthy lifestyle after any slip. It doesn't always happen as quickly as it did yesterday, but I always get there even when it takes a few days. And the path is always clear. I no longer get to places where I can't see my way back to healthier eating -- I always know exactly the steps that I will take and, sooner or later, I take them.

It takes more structure than it seems like it should to support a goal that I claim is more important to me than anything else. But I've ceased being embarrassed about that. It takes what it takes as someone once wrote in the Beck support thread. For me, what it takes is planning my eating the night before, participating daily in multiple threads here at 3FC, hosting a weekly event on Tuesdays called Readers' Workouts on my blog, having strict rules like "no eating in the car," reading several books a year that support my healthy lifestyle, and other things that I'm probably forgetting right now because they have become automatic parts of my life.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #80  

Love this thread
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #81  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool what BBE said

Coaches

I'm also going to take the cue from BillBlueEyes' observation that
Quote:
there's nowhere in real life we can tell someone that we didn't eat a candy bar yesterday
to tell ALL of YOU active posters, active readers, lurkers and flying-by-ers that I DID NOT buy the candybars at the cash at the dollarstore. I also did not stop for a frozen treat, either a single serve one or a container of it. I also did not go to the fast food joint, not any of them, not even one. And I did not go to "get a coffee" which, today, would have caused GREAT stress and indecision as I faced down the acres of baked goods right there in my face while waiting for my coffee. What did I do? I told myself "Not now. Maybe I can have one later, but not now." That phrase was repeated a few times. I tried "that stuff is not about me" but that was only sort of effective. I finally told myself I could walk in the door and have food IMMEDIATELY when I got home. But I had to go straight home. So I did. And I ate some leftovers. And I stopped. And I told myself "if you are hungry later, you can have the other leftovers or the soup DH brought home for you yesterday." Oh and before I arrived home, cause my mind was wavering I told myself that while I am away in Ottawa, or on the drive to Ottawa, I will be allowed to have something special and I can wait until then. That thought was effective. It promises comfort to me when I am away from home feeling stressed out.

Now it's mid-afternoon. Such a gorgeous day. I bought the paint for the woodcutouts and I am planning to get the backs of the figures completed today, and the fronts completed tomorrow. This is just primer for the surfaces to protect the wood. My next step after this is to actually paint them artistically on the front side, but I have until the first week of October for that, and I can't even start until the primer is done so first things first.

With that I'll go. I'll post again later.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #82  

Onebyone--you nailed it today! Well done. I have followed my plan today and written my plan for tomorrow, so credit to us both.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #83  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches
I had a very stressful day, but I also had a plan...wow, planning is my lifesaver today. With my new eating plan I am eating food that keeps me full longer.
My sabotaging thoughts tell me this won't last. I know they are sabotaging thoughts and with a plan I know I can do this.
I had a very busy day and now the kitchen is closed.
We are exhausted here so an early night tonight.
It is nice to be back in a routine. Also it is nice to say no. I was asked to work at the last minute and I knew I needed to say no, so I did it. I never say no, when work calls.
Have a wonderful night and thanks for reminding me I should still post even when I have sabotaging thoughts.
Take Care
Ann
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Catching Up

It has been a crazy crazy crazy couple weeks since I last posted. I have been reading your messages and taking strength from them but haven't known where to start with reporting and accountability.
The short story is we have had houseguests, then two memorial services for close friends in 5 days, my husband hasn't worked for weeks, I have had a traumatic job situation with an end result that tomorrow morning at 6 am I drive 3 1/2 hours across our state to begin teaching kindergarten for the school year.
Exercise is a great concept that isn't happening right now, but my work all summer on eating plans has kept me on routine through most of the chaos and emotions. I didn't even try at the first memorial service, and after the next I found my self looking for treats because they should be 'allowed' after such an experience. Somehow, though, probably the tension of the employment situation in the last week, I have actually lost two pounds!
I am packing foods I can have for breakfast and lunch no matter where I stay for the next week or so; I'm not sure how dinners will work out. I will be spending hours in the classroom so exercise will be tricky. But I won't have much access to treats so that will be good.
the bottom line is I have lost 13 pounds since the very end of June and I believe I learned some good solid habits to take me into the school year in a strong way. I will be healthier and more energetic with the children.
So here we go for a new adventure! Not sure when I will have internet to post...I'll be thinking of all of you and the progress you are making.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like I am on track with the rest of thread... This was a crazy day. Stayed on plan and said no choice to cravings in Target. I did take a ridiculous amount of enjoyment walking through the bread aisle at Target sniffing...

BBE: you are what you eat!

GardenerJoy: sorry this was a rough day. I hope tomorrow is better for you!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 09-12-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - National Peanut Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On plan eating day, CREDIT moi, included at dinner a small serving of sword fish which was 100% certified sustainably gathered. Spent part of dinner discussing how a sword fish can be known to be sustainably gathered. We only have it about once a year and always feel like we're eating the last one on earth. At the supermarket, large Hersey Chocolate Bars were on sale for $1.25 - a good price - only $15 for a dozen I quickly calculated. I thought they would be nice to buy for DW. Then I thought of all the ways that I could buy a few and eat only one square a night myself. Then I thought of all the times I've tried that and slowly increased the portion. Then I decided not to buy any - CREDIT moi.

At gym, CREDIT moi, I watched a couple working out together taking turns doing sets on the same equipment. Each turn she had to remove 50# weights from the bar - a struggle in itself. But they happily worked together the whole time I was there. That's more sharing than I need from a partner.

onebyone What a creative stream of Helpful Responses to a steady stream of Sabotaging Thoughts. I like that "get a coffee" is so seductively pure since coffee has no calories and the caffeine might even be good for you.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Sending supportive thoughts for having to deal with so many thoughts of death at once. Thanks for the thoughts about the structure to cross from off-plan to on-plan. It's helpful to me to be reminded that "it takes what it takes" and that one can get past being embarrassed about it. The analogy that works for me is to remember that during high school football, we'd be annoyed when we ran a play that lost yards, but we were never embarrassed. We were p*ssed and determined to do better. This embarrassment thing is just surreal in its ability to keep us down.

Nature Girl Kudos for posting when life is "crazy crazy crazy." Congrats on those 13 pounds gone. We'll think of you chasing those kids even when you don't have access to the internet.

FutureFitChick LMAO at "a ridiculous amount of enjoyment walking through the bread aisle at Target sniffing..." - whatever works.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Great notion, "now the kitchen is closed." Kudos for saying "no" to work when that's what you needed.

TeachMe - Kudos indeed for "followed my plan today and written my plan for tomorrow" - the secret formula revealed.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Change Your General Plan

You may need to modify your general plan when certain life circumstances arise, or when your weigh plateaus. Use these guidelines:

If your life changes, you may find that you need to vary the timing of your snacks or meals, or even the number of snacks you have. You may also find that you can't easily sustain your current calorie level. For example, maybe you have gone back to school, taken a new job, improved your social life, or had a child. It is perfectly reasonable to make the decision to step up to the next higher-calorie level and gain a few pounds. Just don't let yourself slip into eating more. Make sure to keep following your general pan every day. You can stay at your new calorie level indefinitely, or you can experiment with dropping back a level whenever you like.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 182.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #87  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Thanks for being here everyone! I so related to gardenerjoys post yesterday. I used to freefall for such long periods of time. I now have tools to get back on track and even when I'm having a day when I backslide a bit it seems there are always other good habits in place. I thought yesterday about the time period when I gained my 100+ pounds. Except for brief periods of time I was never concerned about what/why/how much I ate and never felt guilt/remorse. I am totally amazed now that I am willing and able to think every food thing through. I certainly do not always resist but I certainly know what I'm doing. The awareness is very present.

That said, yesterday I chose a path of poor resistance (for my written plan) yet chose to eat plan-approved food from the freezer. I'm back to being by myself and am finding I make a good plan then don't feel like cooking for just myself. Instead of a cooking plan this evening I'm going to make a wise choice at Whole Foods for my take home dinner. credit. I might as well acknowledge my not wanting to cook and plan for it. I weighed this morning even though I didn't feel like it.credit.

BBE, thx for heads up on Natl Peanut Day....not my favorite nut. Great job thinking through the hersheys BEFORE purchase!

NatureGirl, thx for letting us know what you're up to. I look forward to hearing back from you.

onebyone, great resistance! Kudos!

TeachMe, yay for planning for two days at once!

FutureFitChick, great resistance at Target!

Ann(Newlifestyle), glad to hear you are settling in with your new plan and are seeing it's benefits. A big step saying no to work, too.

gardenerjoy, thanks for such great insight!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Great to read everyone's post this morning. In Summary, it appears I must PLAN to be successful. Hmmm. Why is it I always forget this? Thanks to the prompting of Gardenerjoy, Teach Me and Onebyone who all mentioned that planning will see you through emotional pain and crisis.

So for today I am logging what I eat and I am eating sitting down.

Also, letting go of a deadline - traffic school- in order to maintain my other deadline- MFA. Kudos for DH's sound advice - take traffic school on your second fix and letting the $50.00 fee I paid to take it go. Water under the bridge. It is important to know what I can and can't do or i start to get really hungry with unreasonable expectations.

BBE: Thanks for recall the process of leading one's mind from insanity to sanity with the example of the Hershey bar. I have NEVER been able to it, Why would I be able to do it now?
Lexxiss: Good reminder that a freezer food plan is just as good as a fresh food plan.
Naturegirl: The stresses around no work and commuting can not be underestimated. I have experienced all of them (including teaching trauma). Big Credit for continuing to plan and log in here. Best of luck in teaching this week.

Last edited by maryann; 09-13-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #89  

Lots going on in people's lives this week and much of it very emotionally charged. Well done for all the planning and checking in. It reminds me again that I don't have to eat in order to cope. Actually, focusing on what I need to do (plan) can take some of the urgency out of my cravings just on its own.

I'm finding it quite amazing to know I have 3 social events coming up, including a wedding and a weekend away, and I'm enjoying (Yes, really! Enjoying) planning my food to see how I can enjoy what's on offer but not go mad. As of today I feel sure these things will not throw me off track. I can remember years in California where buying Halloween candy mid-October began a sugar-fest that didn't stop till Valentine's Day.

This Beck Solution makes such sense. BBE, thanks for posting the little excerpts; they are really helpful.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

One minute check in...

Day went fine, stayed on plan. Didn't read my cards though.

Hope you have a great day! Sorry no personals.
Closed Thread