Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

BBE--food not touching on the plate. Now there's another idea I never considered, me not being fussy about what I eat! It makes good sense. And what an inspiring moment to see a friend record his calories at just the right time for you. We should all have a coach in our pocket!

And I agree about British sausages, though you can find good ones if you have a look around. Which, of course, I won't be doing because, well, we know why not!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

So yesterday was successful in some ways. I did something I had been wanting to do for a long time. I donated all my plastic hangers, did another thorough cleansing of my closet and bought "huggable hangers" - all matching colors. I wear a lot of knits for work and I was tired of my clothes getting ruined on bad hangers. Plus, I am still working on Project 333 which is 33 pieces of clothing for 3 months. Right now it is Project 663 but I know I won't buy anymore hangers so now I can't buy something new without donating something old. I know this sounds incredibly silly to some but clothes are a very important talisman for me. When I was over 200 pounds, I don't think I had two pairs of pants that fit me. I wore hand me downs or bought things that were ill fitted. I spent the first thirty years feeling crappy about I had looked. When I reached my current weight I went crazy on clothes. Now I am coming back to the middle but it is a process. There is nothing in my closet that doesn't fit, that I don't feel good in, that doesn't represent me. It is one of the first ways I learned to be good to myself.

So, that was calming after a supercharged session with my mother in the morning. We went to buy out her lease contract on her car and she proceeded to tell me my father had stopped alimony payments because he had spent all his money on my ner-do-well brother. So now both my folks are in financial straights. This stuff sends me right into cookie recipes. But I took action on my closet, did a few errands, got the car cleaned and then watched the SF Giants become National League Champs. I felt the anxiety leave me and I told myself over and over again. It is ok to relax. You don't have to do anything right now. Food was a small raid into the kitchen. Weight one pound over ticker.

Today, I took a further positive step. My dad want to stop by and see me today on his way through the city ( an hour away from me) I told him I had to stay and write - which is the truth. I do feel some guilt but I just can't blow another day on family stuff. I am going to write.

BBE: Boy, two things you said really hit me. "Food not touching on the plate." I had never thought about that before. I realize the portion distortion I suffer with must constantly be challenged. Also, the thought about cutting short a work out because it is a busy day. I will cut short a work out and then spend an hour surfing the internet, HMMMMMM. Suspicious.
Elizabeth: Congrats for putting more time between yourself and your
binge.
HaleyJu: I am following your example and using resistance tonite. I need a pound dan tomorrow.

Last edited by maryann; 09-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... checking in. I have done good since last I posted. I am always grateful for that. I am getting more into the 'swing' of it all. I need to start thinking about going out of town soon. Ya know, reading, planning, figuring a few things to bring along. Sometimes I wish I could stay in my own little 'food bubble'. But...life would not be so fun. It's learning to live in the real world (with all that food) that is a challenge.

I roasted lots of veggies this morning to have on hand for the week. Credit.

Hope you've had a great weekend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #154  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello coaches,
I am still doing well with my eating/exercising. It feels as if I am becoming complacent. I don't want to do that because I feel that is when slip ups can occur. I find planning my meals and exercise is so important for me to maintain this lifestyle. I too would sometimes like to stay in a bubble where no temptations exist. Living in the real world is much more interesting.
Have a wonderful night.
Take Care
Ann
Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

I wish there was a cute little icon of a big check mark. That way I could shorten it down and say --
OP eating (check),
Read, and actually added to the advantage response card. (check) ** Ok, it's not really a card, it's a running list of my advantage responses that I have in my phone in the notes ap.
I have a few other checks so it was overall a good day.

Biggest challenge of the day -- avoiding the impulse to snack and taste while cooking dinner. There is a devil inside me that keeps telling me it's OK, I've been good the rest of the day I can afford it. I have to constantly remind him that "Every Bite Counts!!"

Oh yeah, changes my S/C/G. I dropped the weight to this mornings reading and changed the goal to a more attainable >140. 133 was pretty much my dream weight. I was there, but obviously it wasnt sustainable or I wouldn't be doing this again.

Last edited by HaleyJu; 09-23-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #156  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm back. Food was reasonable under the circumstances. The B&B was fun. The visit with the nephew and fiancιe was so pleasant and included lots of walking.

BillBlueEyes: sorry for the loss of your friend. Zillions of friends bearing homemade goodies is a good tribute.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #157  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches…..
Lexxis – Debbie – I enjoyed reading your bio…….kudos on your success…..you’ve had to work very hard and to have lost what you have….I’m going to consider South Beach……you mentioned family drama…..I have that in my family too….it can be awful….i do try to just think about them and those problems as just a sort of sideline to my “real life” and now consider my “real life” to be without them….even though of course they are my family and I do have to deal with them and their issues….but it doesn’t rule my life (and give me anxiety caused eating) like it used to…..I do know to NOT go around any problem family member when I’m either very hungry or very tired though….that’s not a good combination for me.

Gardnerjoy – Joy – You and I share the same opinion with B&B’s….I always want to not deal with other guests either, and find peace, quiet, solace, rest, in not dealing with other guests….but I know a lot of people that really enjoy the B&B experience…..I’ll be interested how you like it…..ALSO….kudos to you for planning ahead, thinking ahead about what food challenges that will bring… (update – just read your latest post – glad you had a good visit and liked the B&B ).

Maryann….I’m wondering if that medication might be contributing toward anxiety…..a painful injury certainly can as well….Kudoes to you still for planning….and maybe some paws up time on the couch might just be what you need.
Teach me – I’m reaching over and giving you a pat on the back also for reading cards, planning meals…and most of all for realizing that even thought it’s not PERFECT, IT’S WORKING!! I’m going to incorporate that phrase and make a card that will be first in my cards this week….it will say, “It’s not perfect, but it’s working!” Maybe if I read that card enough I’ll stop beating myself up for “not dieting perfectly.”

Beverlyjoy – let’s you and I move more into the Beck stuff TOGETHER this week……I admire you for your consistentcy….you do hang in there. Also kudos for going to sleep early…..getting sleep always helps. Also, roasted veggies – great idea….I’m going to
make some for this week also…those would be good to take to work also…

HaleyJu---- yay for the pound lost, and for yoga class

BillBE – kudos for staying in control at the memorial service foodathon…..those can be difficult…I’m not sure though….what does “food not touching plate” mean?

Newlifestyle – Ann – oh my gosh your post hit me between the eyes….complacency is such a dangerous place for me….I need viligance, diligence, sometimes it feels like battle….I do would wish for a bubble without temptations……and I’m afraid I’m more like to see pigs fly than to ever have that…..and dear ann thank you again for the private message “where are you?” a couple weeks ago….your private message inquiry pulled me back to Beck reality dear beck friend.

Everyone have a good Monday!

Last edited by Elizabeth779; 09-24-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Meals were good enough, CREDIT moi, including a catch-as-catch-can dinner quickly from the fridge where I chose to have a reasonable portion of left over white bean salad rather than the rest of the container. I'm a sucker for finishing off a leftover. My optimum meal of leftovers leaves four empty containers with that much free space in the fridge. Snacks were too big. Again. Ouch. Again.

Exercise was merely moving myself from one busy thing to another all day. This "Day of Rest" needs to have nothing scheduled into it to allow a day of drinking tea on the veranda while spiritual thoughts wander by.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for lots of walking and a good visit. Glad the B&B was fun so you can add it to your repertoire.

Beverlyjoy – Yep, "It's learning to live in the real world" that we all need. Yay for lots of roasted veggies.

maryann - Congrats to you and your Giants for your National League West Championship. (We of the Red Sox Nation are humble this year.) Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with the challenges of your birth family - with Major Kudos for finding a distraction that wasn't cookie related.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Kudos for recognizing that you have to fight complacency - which so silently slips in.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Hope things are going well on your journey. By "Food not touching" I meant portions small enough that they don't touch each other on the plate.

TeachMe - Love it; Perhaps you'll write an app for our phones to achieve "We should all have a coach in our pocket!"

HaleyJu - Facebook has taught us that we can express ourselves with powerful icons; I give a 'Like' to your idea of a 'Check.'

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

Even if you can't sustain a lower weight, you can still change your appearance if you want to. Buy new clothes. Experiment with hairstyles and makeup. Improve your posture. Smile more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 184.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back to sleep and ate a lot of unhealthy food. This is after having one week of being on my plan.

I kind of woke up in a food fog from chocolate, cereal, and carbs. I was feeling so down. Of course, I want to give up and say 'screw it, I'll never be able to have food sanity permanently.' However I am trying to convince myself that I need to remember that most of my week was healthy & I need to concentrate on seven days, not 1 hour. That's what Dr. Beck always reminds us to do. Concentrate on the credits, learn from it all, and carry on.

So I will plan:

breakfast: egg whites, rice cake with pnb, roasted veggies
lunch - salad with lettuce, grilled chicken, lite cheese, carrots, rasins, crumbled taco shell, evoo, balsamic vinegar
snack - smoothie
dinner - turkey burger, brown rice, veggie
snack - rice cake with pnb

water/exercise/journal/log food/meditate/

I'll try and get back later. Have a great day.
Remember to treat yourself as kindly as you would treat a good friend. I am reminding myself of this today.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-24-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #160  

Beverlyjoy--I have to assume you and I are not the only ones to fall down with the middle of the night snacking. I sometimes think my subconscious is more likely to encourage it when I have been OP. however, what I tend to do now is still keep a rigorous track of what I've eaten and adjust the next day's calories accordingly. And sometimes I've had to adjust for a few days because I don't want to say 'Oh, I ate 500 calories in the night so tomorrow I'll eat nothing'. If I cut down unrealistically it only leads to a further lapse.

I don't know if that helps, but it works for me to always be accountable, no matter what. Note: your food plan sounds great to me!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #161  

Credit me!! I just noticed I am halfway between where I was and where I will be! Well that is good news. I don't mind that its been 20 months getting here. I have a feeling that the Beck approach will get me the rest of the way a tad quicker.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

It has definitely been a Monday.......... but I haven't eaten over it. In fact, I'm only just over 1000 calories for the day. I'm undecided about eating something else. I would like to have something like a container of yogurt but carbs are already around 100. Maybe if I just wait, the urge to eat will go away. Exercise today was a very nice Yin Yoga class -- not something to get the heart racing, but something that that certainly does a body good.

Teachme congrats on making your halfway mark. Great accomplishment!
BeverlyjoyGood for you for planning your food so carefully. I'm not nearly so organized about it. I eat the same thing for breakfast each day and am careful about lunch. Dinner gets tweaked to fit the calorie/carb expectations that are left for the day.
BillBlueEyes Leftovers are actually desirable at our house. It leaves something for lunch and provided the base for my dinner tonight. I do like getting all those containers cleaned out though, too.

To everyone else........ hope you had a good Beck day. If it wasn't, tomorrow is another day. Don't slide off the track. I've been there and done that, and now I'm back at this again. Not the optimum way to do things!

*** Posting and waiting a bit has taken away the urge to eat something else. Can't remember what rule that is, but it worked.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

Today was OP with eating, much easier when all the only food I have to eat at work is what I packed to take with me. And after all my cooking on my week's vacation dinner was easy to grab out of the freezer for us. Exercise was going to be the gym and ended up being 30 minutes of playing catch and running with Dexter in the yard followed by a 45 minute walk with him. I think I'm more tired than he is but he did have the advantage of laying around all day! Tomorrow we are trying his first day of doggie day care to get him around other dogs and tired for when we get home. Plan is for Zumba class at the gym for me.

Sounds like everyone is doing well. No time for personals, need to get some lunches packed and things organized for morning being we have to be out of the house around 6:45am.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi, routinely. Routines are good sometimes. My walk, CREDIT moi, was to the library to return the DVD Poetry, a South Korean film, that I had checked out merely to hear the final three minutes again. It's such a splendid feature of DVD's that we can revisit a single scene.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the exceptions of my now-standard larger snacks, Ouch. I'm still working on the snacks. CREDIT moi for at least acknowledging to myself that they need to be brought under control.

Beverlyjoy – So powerful, "Concentrate on the credits, learn from it all, and carry on."

Tazzy - Yay for 75 minutes of Dexter exercise - that pup is sure earning his keep. It's neat that you are able to avoid food at work other than what you bring.

TeachMe - Congrats on the halfway point. Yep, "I have a feeling that the Beck approach will get me the rest of the way."

HaleyJu - Thanks for demonstrating the strategy of getting busy to stand down a desire to eat - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

If you find your disappointment lingers and starts coloring your experience, you can write about it in a journal. Or some people find it helpful to talk to their Diet Buddy or a sympathetic friend or family member. Tell him/her you don't want help in problem solving, though. You just want to be able to express your disappointment aloud and get emotional support.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 184.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #165  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I'm still around...mindful of my food related behaviors. Busy negotiating around the family stuff...DH returns today and my bro arrives tomorrow. Thankfully, everyone eats healthy. It is interesting planning dinners since everyone has a different "plan". It's kind of funny.

Last night I took my previously purchased WF organic honeycrisp w/1 Tbsp of almond butter to WF for dinner. Sis and I bought Heirloom tomatoes which were on sale, aided by another customer who just came to our rescue when we were trying to figure out which ones to get. She could identify Purple Cherokee, Moonbeam and Sunburst so we took those. We left smiling.
Closed Thread