Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #166  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday disappeared in a flurry of planning and activities. I'm not sure how I didn't post here. But eating went well and I ramped up exercise because I'm behind in my minutes for the month.

WI: +0.85 kgs, Exercise: +95 1035/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches... today is a struggle. My food plan is out the window and I am not finding the willingness to do it. Yesterday I put a call in to my doctor to refer me to a registered dietician. I am not sure if she will tell me something I don't know. I am just confused in which direction to go. But, I am not giving up.

I am writing things down and coming here.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

Easting OP -- check
Control snacking -- check
Journal all that I eat -- check
Check weight each morning -- check

Exercise everyday -- FAIL

I need to get back into the book and read that section again. Three yoga classes a week isn't going to do it, especially when I have had to back down to gentler classes after I injured my shoulder. The heat is not quite as brutal as it was during the summer so I can't use that as an excuse for not walking anymore. My feet hurt -- maybe if I get the weight down they will be better. Seriously, the hope that my feet will stop hurting is one of the things on my advantage response card.

Suggestions needed managing food and snacking at the ballpark.......... We will be going to see the Texas Rangers play this weekend. If all holds up and they make the playoffs as expected and we will be attending all playoff games in Arlington. That's a whole lot of temptation and hot dogs staring me in the eye!

Last edited by HaleyJu; 09-25-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Pretty sure I can't blame the moon for last night's eating. But I did succumb to stress eating. I already had a good whack of work to do this week ahead of going away at the weekend, then yesterday was told that Ofsted (government school inspectors) may come in this week. I know I can teach well, but they only see what they want to see so, not unusually, I worry and stayed up till 1:30 making sure I had things very sorted. And apparently my brain has convinced me that I could only do that with a load of carbs. Where is my 'dunce' cap?

Have now made a substantial adjustment to the rest of the weeks food plan, but must accept that this week I may not lose.
Beverlyjoy, I'm thinking of both of us when I say maybe sometimes the best you can do is maintain-- you have already come such a long way!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #170  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Holy Moly what's going on....a few of us are having a late night binge thingee going on....

OH, Hi Coaches.....

I guess I should at least walk in, say Hi, and put my purse down before i start a rant....lol

I had a late night popcorn/M & M fest....son's girlfriend left M & M bag here half full after making cookies....and I SHOULD have thrown those out, just can't have them in the house....and starting to think popcorn is just a white FLUFFY binge food also....

Very stressful day....and a hard long talk with a doctor today about some stuff and some of it was quite a heavy talk....and I was feeling emotional afterwards....I'm okay....think I am a little down though, but I'll be better tomorrow....bottom line was he said for me to feel better it is imperative to lose weight and exercise.

So, recently someone in here went to bed early and I thought that was a good idea, so I'm going to do that too...and in the morning things will look better and I'll feel better, and get up and plan food, and exercise....but just right now i want a good book to take my mind off things and a really good night's sleep....night all.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Lunch packed and food planned for today. Credit.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was inside for most of the day while observing the sunny mild weather. Got a walk, CREDIT moi, where I avoided all temptations except my favorite Goodwill Store that gets a fresh load of books daily. I left without buying any - partially because this weekend I hit a yard sale where all books were 25 cents, including new hardbacks. Naturally, I left with 12 even while feeling noble for not buying a dozen more. They included Sharp Objects, a novel by the Gillian Flynn author of the current best selling page-turner Gone Girl, which it only took me two pages to recall that I'd already read. Fortunately, I don't gain weight from buying too many books.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, except for larger snacks - Ouch. I tried to even out the snacks by a reduced lunch which had the benefit of making me feel better even if the calories didn't exactly balance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for those 95 minutes of exercise. I've had days disappear.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Drooling over your heirloom tomatoes. Love the idea of bringing a WF Honeycrisp back into the store for dinner.

Beverlyjoy – Sometimes a fresh perspective is helpful even if the information isn't new. Admire your consistency, "But, I am not giving up."

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Ouch for left over M&M's. That young lady clearly doesn't have an eating problem since popping down half a bag of M&M's would never have been a challenge for me. Yep, popcorn can be a binge food, especially because it has the allure of being low calorie.

TeachMe - Understand that getting inspected brings up the lifetime of feelings about having to pass someone else's expectations. Good luck getting through that without eating about it.

HaleyJu - When I've had to back down on exercises, it's always been a challenge to get back to where I was. Walking remains my favorite exercise because I don't get bored when I'm outside. I do understand the difficulty of walking in Texas summer heat. Good luck to your Texas Rangers; the Red Sox Nation bowed out of being taken seriously this year.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Staying Within a 5-pound Weight Range

Once you reach your maintenance weight, start graphing your weight differently. No one stays at one set number every day. Most maintainers fluctuate by a few pounds from day to day. To remember that these small fluctuations are normal and temporary, draw a red line all the way across the graph at "Base Weight," which will now stand for your initial maintenance weight, and another line at 5 pounds heavier. Every day, plot your weight, and give yourself credit for staying between the two lines. If you drift up toward the top of your weight range for more than a week, check your eating habits and make sure you haven't gotten too loose.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 184.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #173  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in. I survived a stormy night without overeating. We have branches all over the yard. Picking them up will be a good day's exercise, but I'll wait for a dry day.

WI: -0.85kgs, Exercise: +70 1105/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #174  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation As bad as it gets - but still better than it was

Coaches

I have not had the desire to post at all. Thankfully it has returned this evening. I am ready to face myself. *credit*

I left for Ottawa last week, on Monday, and returned home this past Monday. I pretty much ate my way through the trip, but didn't eat alot, just ate poorly. I think I did overeat twice, to the point of the sore stomach, an old old old behaviour. Basically I chose fast food and chose every "local treat" I could think of while I was there. My visits to my mother just take the air out of my me. In every way that I am normally grounded, her new self, created from her disease, just de-stabilizes me as I try to follow her lead and respond to her in the moment. It is critical for me to completely let go of my own needs and wants when dealing with my mother. So many things simply do not matter, and so many trivial (to me) things are of extreme importance, so I have to be flexible as my mother's flexibility has been eaten up by her alzheimer's brain. She really doesn't know where she lives anymore, yet she wonders if she will be there forever, and was ready to come home with me for a visit--with no concept of what "traveling" is. Who remains alive in her family is also a question she asks every hour, or every few minutes sometimes. It's gets tiresome, this death roll as my sister calls it. I finally found a way to shut it down by saying "Mum, you're the only one alive." That worked, but it elicits an "Oh dear. I am?" and then worry crosses her face. And as fast as I see that shadow cross her as she considers this, she is back to asking where everyone is.

Two days and one night of this and I moved on to focusing on my art event which was a big success. The whole event went great. 8000 people went into the School of Art with a line up to get in. We made it to 3am, drawing up until 2:30am when what we produced just wasn't going anywhere. As a group, we are rusty. My absence really showed in our work and in our synergy. We need time together to get the garbage out and to adjust ourselves to each other to create whatever it is that happens between the three of us. Still it was good, but I had a "what's it all for?" day the day after. A "who cares; what does it matter" mood descended that has not lifted.
I dealt with it by eating.
As a result I weighed yesterday and saw a 7lb rise-one for every day of my trip. Today, thankfully, my food is still high, amount-wise, but the quality is better as I cooked from scratch which is great and often my path back to myself and conscious eating.

I have another heavy duty weekend but it gets a bit easier after that and I am going to re-think my priorities to myself once this busy-ness is over. I feel over-committed and angry with myself that I am.

Thanks for reading. Nice to be back.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Among the things on my Advantage Response card/note is that I will enjoy shopping again. Definitely proved the need to keep that on the card today. I went to Dillard's "40% extra off the already reduced sale price" and walked out with nothing, nada, zip. As a confirmed shopaholic, when I don't find something I like, its a sign that I need to get my eating and weight back in line. (*credit for not eating through it). Otherwise things were all OP and in control (credit for that, too.)

onebyone- So sorry about your mom. We put my FIL in a memory care home a couple of months ago. He pulls his clothes out of the closet and "packs" to go home every night. I empathize with your problems. Hope you get out of the funk soon.

BillBlueEyes The Rangers are looking pretty rough tonight. My husband, who considers himself the ultimate jinx, is there tonight. If this keeps up I may be at home like the Red Sox fans.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #176  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On the way home from gym, CREDIT moi, I picked up two paperbacks by Dan Brown (author of The Da Vinci Code) at 25 cents each. When I have too many books to be read, I seem to find more, LOL. For the future, I Requested the new book by J. K. Rowling, The Casual Vacancy - I'm #406 chasing 48 copies, so it could be part of my 2013 reading. Makes me so happy; I don't have to think about it again and one day I'll get an email saying that my turn has arrived. My walk, CREDIT moi, was to Trader Joe's for raisins. Kids are out playing soccer in mild fall weather.

Eating, at last, was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the bonus of snacks being under plan - only had two of the planned three and each of those were a small piece of fruit.. Separate CREDIT moi for snacks back under control.

onebyone"drawing up until 2:30am" sounds like an uber positive experience. Sending supportive thoughts for the challenges of facing your mom's condition. Acknowledging "over-committed" is the key first step.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – "It was on plan and stormy night" - worthy of Kudos but unlikely a best seller.

HaleyJu - Nice to have shopping as a known incentive. Can't do better than "OP and in control." [Ouch for being so close but still being flea-bit by the pesky Athletics. Congrats for having playoff tickets; keep the faith - a few wins and you're home.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Raising Your Maintenance Range

Keep in mind that you might decide to raise your maintenance weight at some point. This will probably happen for one of three reasons:
. . .1. Your metabolism has slowed or your physiology is different. If your metabolism changes - due to age, a medical condition, menopause, or a medication - you may decide to remain at your current calorie level and allow yourself to gain a few pounds.
. . .. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 184.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #177  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Hi Coaches and Buddies,
I fell off the wagon which is why I haven't been around much lately. I got into a deep depression and a funky eating slump between not eating and then just eating junk. I am planning to start back from square 1 on October 1st, at least that is my plan. I've been dealing with a lot of self guilt issues etc.

Okay enough about that, I am attaching a few updated (from a week ago Tuesday) photo of Yukon the wonder pup, he isn't home with me yet, I am hoping for 2 weeks from now but I really wanna make sure he is housebroken first. He was way too active this past Tuesday for me to get any decent pictures he was having more fun getting into mischief
Jaye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (36.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 029.JPG (92.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (34.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #178  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

It seems so long since I've been here, yet I read everyones' posts all the way back to my previous post....finding that I "didn't post yesterday". It has been a long 48 hours.

DH is settling in and I'm spending some energy focusing on his reintegration. If he is happy it makes my life easier, which relates *alot* to food.

Bro showed up last eve and my mom tried to pick a fight w/my DH at the dining room table, despite the beautiful dinner my sis and I prepared. She got two serious nudges from me (not here not tonight mother, stop now) and thankfully only my sister noticed and my DH did not hear.

I was the designated driver to get my sis to the airport at 4am and have had a little time alone w/DH before we head back down w/mom to a preplanned outing which I carefully thought out and will suit everyones' needs, including food.

I stepped on the scale just moments ago and thought of you all, my support team. I laugh with you, I try to support each of you in your individual journey and I feel in my heart for you when difficulties arise (and sometimes continue).

My brother wanted mexican food and I chose as wisely as I could. Afterwards, we'll go to the large bookstore where mom can sit while we browse. DH can go next door to the CD store. I will bring my bike and ride in the City Park, even if just for 10 minutes.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #179  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday I got pulled into my project to sort my personal and family photos that were just scattered about in three large boxes. Now they are filed by topic and/or age. It's easy not to eat when I'm involved in something like that -- I actually skipped a snack. I never do that. Exercise was late, but I went for playing the Zumba game on my Wii -- it was helpful for working out all the kinks that developed in the earlier activity.

WI: +0.15kgs, Exercise: +65 1170/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: glad to have you back. Life / art / healthy living and the "who cares; what does it matter" mood. So familiar with that. Have you ever read Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way by Rick Carson? It's a deceptively simple book, but I think the gist is that "what does it matter?" is the wrong question and it's asked by the part of ourselves that's over-wired for self-preservation. It matters if it's about avoiding an attack by a lion. Otherwise, we need better questions, like "what would make me feel really good about myself and my life today?" or "where can my art take me that I want to go?"

HaleyJu: I'm not much of a shop-a-holic but definitely enjoy it more at a normal size with more selection. Good job not eating over the disappointment of a shopping trip that didn't go well.

BillBlueEyes: I devoured all of Dan Brown's books. Like potato chips but no calories.

Midnightsun68: keep posting! I have allergies so I can't have pets, so I love seeing other people's. Such a cute puppy! What can you do today to be in a more ready place for October 1? Which of the Beck books are you using? Could you start over from the beginning right now? The program doesn't require eating changes right away after all.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #180  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

GardenJoy,
I had been following the pink workbook but I do have all 3 of the beck books here at home. Part of the reason why I said October 1st is because I need to get myself back into the right frame of mind if that makes any sense at all. As I mentioned I have been going thru a deep depression, I am seeing the nurse practitioner who prescribes my mental health medications in the morning so I will have a better idea of how far off track I have gotten.
Jaye
Closed Thread