Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #106  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I never made a food plan yesterday, but ate as if I did. I love it when that happens.

We got Buttercup Squash in our CSA box this week. I peeled, sliced, and marinated it. DH grilled it. It made for a lovely fall dish.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise: +0 710/1400 minutes for September, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Elizabeth779: I second BillBlueEyes -- start at the beginning (a very good place to start). Remember what they tell smokers "The previous tries were just practice." If you can, try to figure out what was working before and what quit working -- but don't worry about it too much. If you can state something you learned, that can be satisfying. I believe a lot of what we're learning is at a subconscious level, so getting started again is more important than putting the lesson into words.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #107  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A good Beck day, which included a wonderful lunch at WholeFoods with mom. I had pondered cooking...but reminded myself it's ok right now to find something premade since I'm still hanging out by myself. Weighed, as usual, nothing dramatic.

BBE, I didn't get here yesterday to say and Kudos on your 5th anniversary. I also want to take a moment to again say THANKS for your dedication to this forum. I know it helps you, too, but your "every morning" post really helps me start my day out right. Your humorous, yet spot on observations, AND your daily excerpts from the Beck books help make my journey both and educational and enjoyable one. BTW-I had a Hatch green chile/sweet potato gratin at WF today (yum)...since you had mentioned only recently tasting hominy (a staple here) I thought I'd ask you about the HGC's. Tis the season and the chile roasters are in the Denver parking lots by the hundreds, driving up from Hatch, NM and roasting your chiles by the bushel while you wait. The aroma in the streets is so unique. Ah, reminds me I need to buy some.

Elizabeth779, glad you posted and shared with your coaches. I will "third" BBE and gardenerjoy's suggestions and will add my support to TeachMe's suggestion of posting here even when you're not on plan. I believe Dr. Beck recommends the daily check in with your coach for a really good reason. Since I joined 3FC in May 2009 I have posted pretty much every day and I find it's such an important part of my day that my slips and slides have not been as dramatic as they used to be.

gardenerjoy, I look forward to hearing about your fall food finds. Your suggestion seems to be helping me make the transition, too. I am not a bear, either.

Thanks for being here everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #108  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches and Buddies,
I know I have been MIA for a few days, I have bronchitis so have basically been laying low, I was also helping 2 friends catch up on their coursework by watching their almost 3 year old son/grandson for them so they could get their coursework done.
Just wanted to post and say I am still around.
Jaye
Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to 3FC. It's been a while sine I posted on any boards. The previous forums I participated in were low carb related. I have a long history as a yoyo. I hope you don't mind someone new jumping in or going back to read your previous posts for inspiration. I am looking forward to the support that appears to be evident here.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #110  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow I could check but...

Coaches

I could check to see when I last posted. Probably last Wednesday is my guess. I'm kind of a mess and kind of not a mess. Mostly I am a stress-mess. I am almost completely packed for my week in Ottawa. I leave in the morning. I never pack this far in advance. I think I know I cannot find the braincells to negotiate that too. I am using my white board to write every little thing on it then wipe it off with GREAT satisfaction when done. *credit for taking credit and for getting things done, whatever they may be.

I'm spending the first half of the week with my mom and sleeping at DH's sister's place. They just moved to Ottawa at the end of August. Then, the next 4 nights I will stay at my friend's place downtown, sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag probably, taking the bus here and there as my stress level will surely amp up as I get closer to the nuit blanche event on Saturday night and I'm not going to deal with driving around too. This trip is a real experiment in managing my feelings re: being in town with my mom and my siblings but not seeing them, instead focusing on my own art plans, which is my chosen career, but battling the feelings of "I should be getting together with ____. or "I should be making things happen" or "I should be making up with my siblings" and etc.

Really all *I should be doing* is this: having a good visit or two with my mom, who turns 85 next week, and making sure she's got what she needs as far as I can manage to do that--which I know is pretty limited. I need to be *present* in mind body and soul for our art performance/event. I am really missing that kind of focused, professional, dedicated art energy here so I need to immerse myself and drinkthat in while I am away.

And I need to keep the focus on my food intake. I need to eat well because I need the energy and the nutrition for what lies ahead. Crap food makes me feel like crap and I need my wits about me. I also know that being away from home is an opportunity for me to re-start my weightloss. It happens like that sometimes and I feel I can come back under 250. I know I want to. I believe I can. And it just takes a note or two to remind myself to try try try and if I go off track to get back on the wagon and try try again.

My current weighin weight was 254 on Thursday, and 251 this morning. *credit for weighing in and reporting in.

BillBlueEyes You asked about my new avatar and here's the scoop. It is a ceramic figure I made that had me drreaming about making a whole town's worth of characters. I saw the whole thing laid out for me to do. I made him and his companion. (He's sitting on someone's mantle in Ottawa and the other one I broke since moving here. That made me cry.) When I showed DH the figures he pointed me to this:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Shadow_Over_Innsmouth
I loved him and hated him for it.

As an avatar he reminds me of my grand plans and of working to bring them into fruition. The best is yet to come.

Must go. I'll be online while away... look for stressed out check-ins.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Good morning all,

I'm OP and today's food is sorted.

Debbie R--I sooo agree with you grateful comments to Bill. We all win there.

Jaye, glad to see you back.

Onebyone, I feel very excited for you with what's to come. Posting on here shows me you might not be as messed up as you think! I am reminded of something I heard once about things we 'should' do. That is, should and shouldn't are parents' words. To treat ourselves as adults we need to think along the lines of 'I will' or 'I won't.' This reminds me that I have a choice. Don't know if that works for anyone else.

I WILL keep checking in!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome HaleyJu

HaleyJu

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Initially while walking I kept thinking of reasons that I should take a shorter walk. I stood them all down and kept going, CREDIT moi. Was rewarded with a Cricket game in a park. That game must have rules since it's British, but they elude me. Grown men spend time very, very seriously doing little. Thinking that was serious, I then encountered two British Gentlemen playing Croquet. Deadly serious. We played as kids with the major fun being whacking someone's ball as far as possible. Then I encountered a brass band practicing in another park for the Honk Festival in early October. Sweet walk. Yay for the unexpected.

Food was good enough for the day, CREDIT moi, but over ate at lunch. I got caught without time to go home to my planned peanut butter sandwich before a forgotten early afternoon event. So I nibbled on some foods that were set out for snacks - mainly too many dips into a bowl of See tree nuts. I've consumed my weeks worth of sodium to be sure.

onebyone – Seems wise to keep shaking off all those "should's" to focus on your goals in Ottawa. Neat to think that you'll have an immersion in that aspect of art that gives you so much joy. Have a happy trip. [Thanks for the scoop on your Avatar.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Am drooling for your grilled, marinated Buttercup Squash.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for continuing to allow yourself to wisely select prepared food while you're "still hanging out by myself." [Thank you for the congrats and the kind words.]

Jaye (Midnightsun68) - Watching a 3 year old must have been some good exercise. Hope that bronchitis clears up and you're back in the saddle.

TeachMe - Kudos for the planning, "today's food is sorted." Have you become a fan of Cricket?

HaleyJu - We absolutely welcome someone new jumping in. If you want a fast lesson in what we're about, you might want to check out one of the books by Dr. Judith Beck mentioned in my first post of this month's thread. Feel free to post your status as you find your way. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

If you are not at your "dream" weight, you may be greatly disappointed. If you had always hoped to be thinner, it can be quite a blow to find out that you should not even try to get to a lower weight, much less sustain that weight. It means your dream just isn't - and probably never was - realistic.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 183.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was on plan except for the homemade apple cake that was passed around at a meeting last night. Homemade made it rare enough in my life. The baker had cut in half a couple of her pieces, so I took one of those tiny servings and enjoyed each of my three bites of cake. Considering that good enough for a 90% OP grade.

I haven't exercised for three days in a row. I hurt my back dusting flour off my shirt -- just wiggled wrong somehow. And, now, I'm afraid to move for fear of making it worse. But I think I'm at the stage of making it worse by not moving so today I'll do something.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise: +0 710/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: excellent thoughts and planning and working out what you need for you and for your art. Breathe! 'Cuz you're doing fine.

Welcome, HaleyJu!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Spent a quiet weekend home. That is always good. Sat. I hung out as DS played with a buddy and then participated in a Yu Gi Oh tournament. It is a kind of Dungeons and Dragons fantasy game. He is the youngest by five years but is determined to participate. I was happy to sit outside the door and read one of my semester's books. Sunday, DH, DS and I went looking for a "toy hauler" to take our four wheelers down to the desert in November. Credit for quality family time but Boo! for too many cashews eaten from the snack pack. I weighed in at 2 pounds above ticker this morning. What I am eating is fine. How I am eating it is not fine. I have no portion control and I am standing up.
Like Elizabeth I need to get back to the basics. Food Addiction is so sneaky and destructive.
BBE: I second everything Lexxiss said in regards to your anniversary. You are valuable in your outreach to those who suffer from overeating.
Hello to all.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Thank you all for a warm welcome. I am not new to Beck, but am a returning backslider. I lost quite a bit of weight using Beck strategies about 4 years ago. I maintained the weight very well for two years, then had a marked increase in stress at work. That coupled with a shoulder injury that required rotator cuff surgery got me seriously off track. I continued to compound the problem through about 50 pounds of denial. I have been rereading the (pink) book and have finally gotten my mind ready to do this again.

Previously I found a great deal of support and accountability in a low carb forum on another board. I searched for a Beck forum and found this board. I am very glad to see an active group. I'm looking forward to finding both support and accountability here with you. Thank you again for accepting. "newbie".
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My walk, CREDIT moi, included a trip to the library where I was pleased to find a 10 year old boy VERY excited to renew a book that had "just gotten to a good part." He told me, "It's just like the Hunger Games" and my excitement dwindled. I was pleased that Harry Potter got kids reading; less pleased that teenagers killing each other becomes the new thing. Gym was gym, CREDIT moi. Noted that my only conversation was about the demise of the Red Sox - a more traditional gym conversation than last weeks's "There's pleasure sure in being mad."

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, except for afternoon snack being larger than planned - Ouch. Seem to remember typing, "Food doesn't cure tension" previously. Slow learner here.

Joy (gardenerjoy)"three bites of cake" is just right for a dessert - wish that was the standard size. Ouch for the hurt back; hope it cures itself as backs sometimes do.

maryann - "too many cashews" - singing my song there. Wish my language skills were sufficient to read the Old Testament in the original because I'm convinced that Adam and Eve ate from a Cashew Tree, not an Apple Tree.

HaleyJu - It's great to have an experienced Beck person who is starting over with the pink book. There's been a lot of starting over lately so you won't be alone there. Have you chosen your eating plan yet?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

What might you suggest to your best friend if he/she were in this exact situation? Would you offer the following advice?
  • Be proud of yourself. Just because you didn't get down to the weight you wanted to be doesn't mean you failed. You've succeeded. You've lost weight! That's an important accomplishment that many people never achieve. You're probably much healthier now, too.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 183.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #118  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I weighed this morning...up, to be expected since my WF dinner (surely) had more sodium than I'm used to when preparing my own food. I resisted the urge to eat more after Mannings second interception in the first 3 minutes and chose bed/reading instead.

BBE, I think many of us are "slow learners" but it's why I'm here. My take is that there is a mindfulness I have now even when I don't say no..which I must remind myself that didn't used to exist.

gardenerjoy, I hope your back is improving. It's amazing the small movement which sometimes tweaks things. Yay for only 3 bites of the apple cake. I have a recipe I'm really wanting to try but will wait until my resistance muscle is a bit stronger.

MaryAnn, glad you had an enjoyable weekend and credit for your continued mindfulness with family and food addiction.

HaleyJu, I'm glad you've decided to join us. I'm one who is trying to "hang in there" with lots of current life/stress events. Glad you're dusting off your trusty pink book.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

September 18, 2012

Happy Tuesday! I had an OK weekend. I had a charity ball to go to for my husband's company. We had cheese covered breaded wedding chicken with some vegetables and sweet potato gnocchi, all covered in a cream sauce. It was really rich, but to stay close to plan I scraped breading off of my chicken, pushed the sauce aside, and tasted the interesting gnocchi. I had expected the meal to be more plan-friendly, as last year it was a steak with veggie side, which would have been great. I didn't have to deal with last year's incredible chocolate cake. This year it was a custard fruit tart thing that I tried to take one bite that included all of the fruit, crust, and sauce flavors I could. I ended up stabbing the silly thing in to tiny bits because every time I would try to load up my fork, stuff would just split in half and fall over.

Today is pretty well planned. I will read my cards at some point as well and hopefully take a family walk tonight.

BillBlueEyes, I hear you about the plots of what gets teens reading. But, long ago when I was that age, we spent months covering Poe, Agatha Christie, Mary Higgins Clark, etc. Those weren't any more innocent in plot either and I don't often want to kill my peers. Students, however, that keep asking me how to submit an assignment when I have been over it twice in class, done a demo, written instructions, and directed them toward additional instructions on the web, well, they are another story... Hopefully encouraging reading will help get them out of the "I can only learn if you tell me exactly what I need to know for the test, I can't open a book to study, or try and find information on my own if it doesn't come up on my first google search" mode... One can only hope!

GardenerJoy, ouch for a bad back! Those little muscles can be real buggers when they are hurting.

HaleyJu, nice to meet you! Welcome back!

Lexxiss, I hear you about pet-withdrawal. Pets are so comforting to me. I got my first pet as an adult after having a really bad day in organic chemistry lab. (My TA never commented on my lab notebook entry that described how frustrated I was, which lead me to get a cat, and what his name was...) When we moved here, our pet population had gotten up to 2 large breed dogs and 4 cats. All were seniors at the time, and we have only a dog and cat left now. We don't plan to replace them, as we are hoping to move overseas for a few years and want to avoid having to quarantine them. So, I have been bracing for losing this important comfort outlet for me for a while.

Maryann, bummer about the cashews. Great job for noticing what you are doing wrong so you can redirect!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 09-18-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #120  
Green Tomatoes

With another cloudy, cool day, I had to remind myself several times that I am not a bear, but it mostly worked. I got back to exercise and it was fine.

Today is even cooler but sunny so I'm feeling much more like a squirrel then a bear. A good day to make and freeze applesauce, I think.

I weighed myself for the first time in almost a week. I had set my sights on getting back down to around 165, but I think it's just not going to happen right now and I will be happier if I just choose to be happy at around 169 for now.

WI: -0.35kgs, Exercise: +45 755/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: yay for recognizing the needs for portion control and more mindful eating. I've decided that I don't eat nuts unless they go in a measuring cup first. I'm also experimenting with roasted chick peas this fall -- the same kind of snacking experience but less fat and somewhat lower calories.

HaleyJu: cool that you have experience with Beck -- you'll fit right in here. Looking forward to hearing about your experience going through the pink book again. It's always a helpful reminder for all of us when one of us goes back to the basics.

BillBlueEyes: Maybe the Hunger Games generation will turn into Shakespeare fans. Telling them that half the cast is dead on the stage at the end of Hamlet should be a good selling point.
I thought of you yesterday when I ordered tickets to three of the coming season's concerts at the Symphony. It's been a long time since we've been that supportive of local performance arts. I was tempted by season tickets but couldn't quite get us to commit to that -- when they came out with a promotion of a discount for three choose-your-own concerts, I fell for that. We'll hear Mozart's Requiem in November, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition in January, and Beethoven's Ninth in May just before my birthday. That last is the piece that has "Ode to Joy" in it, which I've always considered my own personal gift from the composer. My mother was church secretary and had some say in the hymn selection, so she always made sure that we sang "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee" to that tune on the Sunday nearest my birthday.

Lexxiss: good job avoiding football snacks in compensation for bad football.

FutureFitChick: you showed some good tactics coping with an unexpectedly difficult meal. We have a similar meal on Thursday -- I'm hoping for the easy steak with veggie side, but need to be prepared for cream sauces. I'll remember how you handled it.
So what was the name of the cat inspired by the bad organic chemistry lab?
Closed Thread