Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

I'm still around! I can't remember the last time I was here to even read posts. Had a busy first week of Sept preparing to take the second week for vacation. Back to work this past Monday to 200 emails and within 1 hour forgot I had been away the week before. My week off was busy too, did lots of cooking and baking to fill the freezer. Did mid-day exercise classes at the gym (really liked that), walked with Dexter lots and saw lots of family. And best of all rarely sat at the computer!

Dexter is now 50+ pounds and is fun to wrestle with on walks at times. It's hard to believe he was 26 pounds only 9 weeks ago! To us he doesn't look like a puppy anymore but to everyone we meet on the street he still does. He's been my spontaneous exercise plan.

Eating is getting better now that I'm back at work. My major credit this week is tracking what I eat, I'm not assigning any calories or WW points to the food, just getting it down on paper and that's helping.

Hope everyone is doing well and I'll check back in when I can! Happy Friday
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am going to take today off. Last Friday, my "day off" was spent writing a paper. The weather is beautiful here. DH's walnut orchard has been mowed to a carpet to ready for harvest in two weeks. I plan to take a nice walk and decompress. Credit for going to step aerobics even when I slept very little because my shoulder is aching from PT. Credit yesterday evening as well for going to a meeting that I wanted to skip because I knew conflict was coming. Credit for not overeating because of it. The only Drat! was eating dinner STANDING UP (What is with that?) I had a counselor's appt. just before the meeting and we discovered that the situation was triggering memories of when I was a little girl embarrassed, afraid, and with no control in the face of my father's drunken rages. So when I went to the meeting, I had to remember that although I was afraid, I was completely able to take care of myself.

All good stuff. This continues to be a year for great positive, personal change. Even though ticker does not want to budge this month. I was so hoping to move it to 154 by October 1st - my sobriety 25th birthday. 154 is my BMI classification of not overweight.Oh well. It is what it is. My food is healthier than it has every been. My family relationships are thriving. I'll take those as my gifts.

BBE: The barn you dream of reminds me of DH's barn - combines, harvesters, mowers. DS takes them completely for granted.
Gardenerjoy: Hope your donor dinner went well. I am getting to the point where I hate eating out.
Teachme: I notice your ticker is set at the same BMI goal as mine. We share a height and a profession.
Haleyju: I love yoga but PT says I'll have to stop for awhile. This is a bigg bummer.
Onebyone: I am truly sorry that both you and your mother have to suffer with her ailment. It is heartbreaking and requires great strength and compassion.

Last edited by maryann; 09-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #138  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Dinner went fine, thanks BillBlueEyes for checking and FutureFitChick for the the preemptive thoughts about it.

During the cocktail hour, I drank club soda with lime (CREDIT) and politely declined all walking appetizers (CREDIT). Ladies, carrying a clutch purse helps at these events -- a purse in one hand and a drink in the other makes it hard to take an appetizer! Of course, shaking hands is awkward, but nothing is perfect.

The salad was delicious and included poached figs that I wasn't sure I would like but enjoyed immensely (CREDIT).

The entree was chicken breast with Missouri mushrooms, orzo pilaf, and French green beans. I left half the chicken breast (CREDIT). I could have left half the pilaf and been fine but I just now thought of that, so maybe next time.

Dessert was a pastry shell with peaches and blueberries. I ate the fruit and two bites of the pastry. I also enjoyed every bite of the long skinny roll of dark chocolate that was the garnish. (CREDIT)

Yay, TeachMe, for handling lovely treats from eager students with such grace. I could see that being quite a challenge. Good for you for planning for it and for being careful.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... my week has gone well. I am so grateful. I 've had the willingness to write it down, plan, measure, drink lots of water, weigh everyday, and I've done my meditation for three days.

I think I might be addicted to sugar. Eating just a little bit it is hard for me.... because I always want more. It's tricky. Sugar is in everything. I have cut back on sugar (and all it's cousins) the last four days. I talked to my friend who is a Registered Dietician and has a PHD in psychology. She said that the only way I'll know is to give it up and see how it goes. She also said not to go home and throw everything out with sugar in it. Use up things I have with sugar (some frozen dinners). I don't want to jinx myself, but - not eating much sugar, so far, has kept the craving away. Time will tell. I am still in the 'honeymoon' phase.

My journalling is different this week too. I usually journal all my Beck stuff that I like to think about and keep track of. Also, I have been journalling my feelings.

Have a great weekend.

gardenerjoy - I LOVE the idea of holding a clutch purse in one hand and a club soda in the other!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

Happy Friday! I am really looking forward to sleeping in past 5:15 tomorrow morning. I usually go to a yoga class on Saturday mornings but will have to go to see DFIL who is in the hospital tomorrow instead. Maybe I can get home in time to walk tomorrow afternoon.

This week has been SLOW as far as pounds lost-- only .5 pound. Instead of being bummed, I'm actually quite proud that it has gone down, stayed down and hasn't bounced around. At this rate it will take me over a year to get back to my goal. Oh well, a year from now I will be better than I am right now.

As I am beginning to know you all, it looks like I am not the only teacher in the group. We often laugh about Friday being ABCDay (adult beverage consumption day). I really wanted a glass of wine tonight but powered through it (Credit for the workout for the resistance muscle!)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #141  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Autumnal Equinox

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks off, Ouch. I'm in need of a two by four whacked over my head.

Exercise was a few hours of walking on a local tour with a bunch of friends, CREDIT moi. A jacket was required, but the chilly wind felt refreshing. Local reality is that September is the time of year for mice to seek the indoor warmth. Means that we have to remove a couple each year that break in to our basement and work harder to be sure that no food exists outside of sealed containers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Terrific journey though that dinner minefield. I've never heard of poached figs before.

Beverlyjoy – Sugar is a tough one. I wish it weren't so prevalent. I saw an adult friend eat two candy bars for lunch yesterday - caught me by surprise. Reminded me that that's not on my plan these days.

maryann - Ouch for that aching shoulder with Kudos for moving forward as it heals.

Tazzy - Thank you Dexter for giving us the occasion to celebrate weight gain, LOL. Kudos for back to tracking what you eat.

TeachMe - Yep Kudos for navigating between your role as a teacher encouraging students and your role as a mindful eater.

HaleyJu - Yep, Kudos for using the resistance muscle to power through ABCDay - that name caught me by surprise, LOL. Sounds like you have a sane attitude toward your scale readings.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

In short, you wouldn't want your friend to dwell on his/her disappointment. You would want your friend to change to a healthier focus.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 183.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #142  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Back last night after a two day hiatus w/strained family stuff. Fun days off. Came home to find my sibling needed my one trash can for some project and it's previous contents had been left in a whisky barrel flower pot. Irked me, for sure, and was amazed to not feel like eating over it. Beck at work. I've decided not to ask about it...why fuel the fire.

I am alone (again) and spend lots of time thinking about "keeping it together". I underate last night, yet not a proper meal. I need to work on "proper" today. I weighed this morning (back into my routine) and will exercise at work.

Happy Fall!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #143  
Green Tomatoes

Headed out to visit a nephew in his college town. This trip will include our first stay in a B&B. As introverts, we've never seen the appeal. But we're traveling more now and don't want to reject this form of lodging without trying it. Plus, it was recommended by SiL and there aren't a lot of options in that town.

We'll pack today's lunch. So it will be only three meals in a row eaten out of my comfort zone. The trickiest to negotiate may be the B&B breakfast since I don't know what to expect. The introductory email mentioned a "pre-breakfast" delivered to our door with tea and coffee. So, I need to start reminding myself now that while I drink tea, I do not eat a "pre-breakfast" especially when there will be an actual breakfast to negotiate, and probably one much larger than normal.

WI: -1.05 kgs, Exercise: +60 850/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
I have been feeling some low grade, free floating anxiety. My neck and shoulder pain is not helping, nor is the medication I have to take for two weeks to cure it. I am mystified by my unwillingness to sit down when I am eating. The food I am eating is very healthy. I am weighing the nuts, I had a pear smoothie with pistachio flour, bananas, flax seed and soy milk. But I am snacking on bits of things and my weight is creeping around.
So this morning, I should be feeling content and at peace but I am not. Oh Well. The plan for today is to GET OFF MY BACK. It is what it is. I will get done what I need to get done or I will sit on the couch. In any case, judging myself harshly will help nothing. I will have small meals, breakfast of bran flakes fruit and nuts - done. Lunch Smoothie and Dinner salad with avocado. Snacks will be fruit. I like puttering errands so I will go to dry cleaner etc. . . and buy new hangers (huggable) and clean up my closet. Then I will rewrite a challenging story. Hold on! That is doing nothing? HMMM. back to the point GET OFF MY OWN BACK!

Gardenerjoy: And now we have to deal with a pre-breakfast in addition to Taco Bell's "fourth meal" It is amazing how food is controlling our world these days. Good Luck. Hope the B and B is to your liking. I have good experiences but mostly, being very private, I enjoy hotels.
Beverleyjoy: I agree that sugar sure is tough. For me, I think that the white flour (which converts immediately to sugar) is even more insidious. Credit for cutting back and being willing to see what happens.
HaleyJu: Teachers are notorious food addicts. Probably something about caretakers, etc... Can't join in ABC's anymore. But I do like a good Friday afternoon and the feeling of freedom that comes with it.

Last edited by maryann; 09-22-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Gardenerjoy--'the fourth meal'! Oh how I laughed. Sort of. The world seems desperate to convince us we are motherless kittens that need hourly feeding. Actually, it makes me angry because I know full well I have allowed myself to be taken in. On another note: that clutch idea is terrific!

HaleyJu, et al--I know many teachers who struggle mightily with food issues. Some eat too much, others are desperately restrictive. I'm trying to accept the fact that it is a job that cannot be controlled (at least not by me), but one that's rewarding nonetheless.

Maryann--one of the reasons I give myself for not writing is that it raises such anxiety in me that I feel I have to eat. I know I am learning now that's not really true, but I have residual fear. You must have been doing such a lot of writing and I salute you for doing that and staying healthy around your eating at the same time. I think I might share an aspiration with you as well.

Have read my cards and planned my food. All ok, not perfect but its working, so I'll pat myself on the back!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I went to bed early last night, again. It's easier getting through the evenings that way. I am grateful for the willingness. Yesterday went well. I accomplished many of my healthy living goals. I am still not doing all the Beck stuff. I will move into it this week. I am giving myself credit for: planning, measuring, loggin food, meditation, exercises, lots of water, journalling.

teachme - credit for reading your cards and all. Carry on.

maryann - sorry about your shoulder - hope the medicine helps. Your smoothie and food sounds good. Be kind to yourself.

gardenerjoy - good planning ahead (packing lunch, etc) and realizing what a prebreakfast really is. Great!

lexxiss/debbie - sorry you had to face the trash can stuff. Ugh. Credit for not eating over it.

billbe
- I love this time of year too. Credit for getting out on your nice walk! Yes... the critters are wanting to head inside.....

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-22-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

The day is not over yet but so far so good............
I did make it to yoga class this morning
I managed to make good choices when we ate fast food for lunch
But best of all, my resistance last night paid off and I was down a pound this morning

I hope this honeymoon period with good control and a decreasing scale sticks around for a long while.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #148  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

H Coaches.....

A fast catch up -- I still did well during work week -- packed my food every day.....I'm working with someone who wants to feed me, and I'm going to have to deal with that soon because it made my Friday eating at work more difficult....but overall still am doing well....I'm down 4 pounds from the weight I had gained on the "BB" (big binge).....

Having busy weekend -- it's my son's birthday and we have family and friends here visiting....but tomorrow they'll be heading out after brunch and the football games.....then I need to do Beck reading and figure out food plan for this next week....AND make more soup....I'll sure credit that soup to help me keep on track and lost that 4 pounds this week.....

It's 2:00 a.m.....and I need sleep....nite all...........zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Elizabeth779-- I find soup a life saver for work lunches, too. Well done for your success this week!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #150  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks still is need of control, Ouch. Best on plan moment happened at the reception after a memorial service for a friend who had zillions of friends who had brought tables of homemade wonderful. I did well with one plate, food not touching, as planned, but was feeling the urge to return to the separate dessert table that was overflowing. However, at that very moment I was talking to a friend who had lost a chunk of weight and I happened to notice that, as we talked, he was typing into his iPhone the calories of what he'd just eaten. Whoa, I thought to myself, here's my unknown-to-himself Diet Coach encouraging me to stay the path. So I didn't go for seconds, CREDIT moi.

Exercise was gym, CREDIT moi - rather quite on a Saturday morning. I thought to cut it short because I had things to do, but used my resistance muscle to keep going. Spent the duration of my workout laughing at my own little joke that I was using my resistance muscle at the gym. I am so easily amused.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good luck staying at the Bed and Breakfast. My experiences at B&B's have all been positive - from unbelievably splendid to OK. In England, they became better when we started asking that the traditional British Sausage not be included at breakfast. Other than there, I've not started my day with grilled tomatoes - a treat.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – You're headed toward enlightenment when you can waive off a transgression by a sibling - I'm impressed. Those close to me can get under my skin for actions that are easily ignored from others.

Beverlyjoy – Yep, sleep is a great place to stay on plan; Kudos for recognizing that, at some point, the day is just over.

maryann - Many Kudos for recognizing, "GET OFF MY OWN BACK!" Don't know why it's so difficult to quit being so hard on ourselves.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Congrats on those four pounds gone forever. Facing a food pusher is a challenge. It helps to read Beck's comments on that where she discovered that a food pusher didn't remember being rejected. Yay for soup.

TeachMe - LMAO at "motherless kittens" - so that's what's happening to us all.

HaleyJu - Congrats on another pound gone forever. Consider that's it's not a honeymoon period - that you're adopting the strategies into your inner neurons and they're being trained for life.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

This is one of those very big "Oh, well" life situations: Oh, well, I had always hoped I would be thinner ... But I can't change my biology, so I may as well not struggle over it ... I may as well accept it and go live my life. And even though you may not become as slim as you had always hoped, I will bet that you have still achieved most of the items in your Advantages Deck and that your life and health are greatly improved. Don't forget about how much better things are now!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 183-184.
Closed Thread