Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #136  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by va1erie View Post
I'm amazed you got to anything besides what's happened in the last two years! I love that you're writing down things you like and dislike. I've just started using Pinterest, which is a sort of online pin board you use to "pin" items you find online or see in your real life (and photograph with your camera) into various online boards which you can share with your friends. They "repin" the things they like too. It's kind of fun. I'm not sure you can see my boards without being a "member" though it's free to sign up -- here's one: https://pinterest.com/taylorvalerie/to-make/
Oh, and of course I had to tell her about you and the whole Beck thing, too! I guess we covered a lot of ground in an hour! Funny that you should mention Pinterest. I just recently read about that site in a regular column in my local newspaper. The columnist wrote about how she has become completely addicted to the site. I will check it out! Right now I am watching the Hoarding show on TLC, and I am seeing all kinds of things I don't like!!

Quote:
I think it was actually a bit too much, LOL! Even Jane said she thought it might be better without the oreos.
I would definitely not think it would be better without the Oreos. Trust me on this.

Quote:
One thing that stuck with me from the Beck workshop was that -successful- maintainers tended to lose down to a goal, then learn to live at about five pounds above that goal. I think this was a really interesting idea, because it's so easy to fall into the trap of thinking gaining anything above goal proves you 'just can't do this' and that you've 'failed.' When of course being able to maintain at five pounds above the arbitrary 'ideal' weight you have in your mind isn't -failure.- It's accepting the reality that an ideal isn't necessarily something you can live with, and that maintaining five pounds above that ideal is still successful maintaining.
That really struck a chord with me, too, and I was reminded of it yesterday when I got on the scale. I definitely understand her point, and I think it's a crucial lesson to not throw in the towel because of a 5-pound gain. I have thought of that many times, and I know I could accept staying at this weight IF I had gotten to it "honestly" (by healthy eating). But that is definitely not the case here. So I'm not ready to accept this as my new maintenance weight yet. But, more importantly, I'm absolutely not using it as an excuse to give up, either.

Quote:
When I've got a superlong post to do, I sometimes submit before I'm finished, then go back and edit what I've submitted to make sure that if I lose the post, all I've lost is the work I've done since I last submitted.
That's because you are SMART!

Quote:
Report: weighed (no change, 3.4 below goal), ate very reasonably even though I made braided stromboli for lunch. I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow, which means a light breakfast and then fasting for the rest of today and drinking a bunch of goop that everyone says is the worst part of the process. But maybe it will mean I'll drop a bit. Won't be going to class tomorrow morning because of the procedure.
UGH. That means you must be doing the prep right about now. I had my first colonoscopy many years ago, and the prep is definitely not as bad now as it was then, but it's still the worst part by far. But the good news is that your weight will definitely drop! I hope it all goes well for you.

My weight was down 1.2 this morning. Stayed OP all day. Made it a point to eat extra slowly and mindfully. I worked all afternoon on my taxes (getting stuff ready to take to the accountant, which included a couple of hours on the phone with my brother going over the stuff that he manages for me), one of my most hated tasks, but did not give in to the urge to eat. I slept for only an hour last night (just couldn't fall asleep), so hopefully I will sleep really well tonight and feel even better and stronger in the morning.

Good luck tomorrow!

Later: I just went and looked at your Pinterest link, and I was able to see the page. So those purses are purses you found on other sites and would like to copy? And other people can see these as well? How would they find this page? And do you look at other people's pages? How do you know what you want to look at and how to search for it?

Last edited by 4EverLearning; 03-11-2012 at 09:53 PM.
4EverLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #137  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 140/112/117

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverLearning View Post
Oh, and of course I had to tell her about you and the whole Beck thing, too! I guess we covered a lot of ground in an hour! Funny that you should mention Pinterest. I just recently read about that site in a regular column in my local newspaper. The columnist wrote about how she has become completely addicted to the site. I will check it out! Right now I am watching the Hoarding show on TLC, and I am seeing all kinds of things I don't like!!
Oh, that show is a guilty pleasure of mine! It always makes me want to clear out a closet or drawer!

Quote:
I would definitely not think it would be better without the Oreos. Trust me on this.
Well, you know Oreos are a definite weakness with me! I sent about half of them back to school with Mick and today I'm going to cut the rest into portion-size packs for Jane and stick them in the freezer.

Quote:
That really struck a chord with me, too, and I was reminded of it yesterday when I got on the scale. I definitely understand her point, and I think it's a crucial lesson to not throw in the towel because of a 5-pound gain. I have thought of that many times, and I know I could accept staying at this weight IF I had gotten to it "honestly" (by healthy eating). But that is definitely not the case here. So I'm not ready to accept this as my new maintenance weight yet. But, more importantly, I'm absolutely not using it as an excuse to give up, either.
Very good point that it's not simply finding that you simply can't eat that low day-in, day-out. You've proved you can and were consistently doing it until this latest issue reared its ugly head.

Quote:
That's because you are SMART!
I occasionally have my moments.

Quote:
UGH. That means you must be doing the prep right about now. I had my first colonoscopy many years ago, and the prep is definitely not as bad now as it was then, but it's still the worst part by far. But the good news is that your weight will definitely drop! I hope it all goes well for you.
It went smoothly, for the most part. I messed up the prep (the prep instructions that came with the box were VASTLY different from teh ones the doc had provided, but I didn't realize it until 3:30 when I was filling out the paperwork. But apparently I called an audible well enough to get to the eventual goal. But YEESH that stuff tastes awful.

Quote:
My weight was down 1.2 this morning. Stayed OP all day. Made it a point to eat extra slowly and mindfully. I worked all afternoon on my taxes (getting stuff ready to take to the accountant, which included a couple of hours on the phone with my brother going over the stuff that he manages for me), one of my most hated tasks, but did not give in to the urge to eat. I slept for only an hour last night (just couldn't fall asleep), so hopefully I will sleep really well tonight and feel even better and stronger in the morning.
Yay for the downtick! Love those, eh? Good for you for staying onplan even though you were doing your taxes. Sorry for the bad night's sleep. Mine was pretty broken up as I had to get up numerous times. I imagine I'll sleep well tonight!

Quote:
Later: I just went and looked at your Pinterest link, and I was able to see the page. So those purses are purses you found on other sites and would like to copy? And other people can see these as well? How would they find this page? And do you look at other people's pages? How do you know what you want to look at and how to search for it?
Yes, not exactly copy but use as inspiration, like that Kate Spade purse, or learn from the tutorials on some of the sites -- one site gave me a fantastic bit of a suggestion for solving a common problem. Yes, others can see your boards. They choose to "follow" them, and you decide whether you want to follow that person back. It's sort of still in Beta and I don't think at this time there's any option for blocking anyone, so it's not something you'd want to pin anything sensitive on. When you first start out, you can find friends who are doing it by searching on their emails or names, and eventually you start seeing people whose board you're interested in even if you don't them personally -- people whose board indicate they have similar interests to yours, which means you can look at their boards and "repin" the things they pinned to their boards on to yours, which in turn shares those with your followers.

report: weighed, and I'm down an astounding 3.6 pounds to 7 pounds under goal! I nearly fell over when I saw 110 on the scale -- haven't seen that since my twenties. I should do a colonoscopy before every vacation. I know it's all deyhdration and of course the fact I was EMPTY, but still maybe tomorrow or the next day I'll still have a bit of a downtick leftover. Ate nearly nothing yesterday, but planning to go out to lunch with John today. Will skip the treadmill today because I'm feeling a little lightheaded still -- my bp just woudl NOT get back up to my normal low blood pressure level, so we had to wait in recovery for over an hour. John's hovering.

Hope your day was a good one!

Last edited by va1erie; 03-12-2012 at 11:08 AM.
va1erie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #138  

Quote:
Oh, that show is a guilty pleasure of mine! It always makes me want to clear out a closet or drawer!
ME, TOO!!! I'm usually cleaning out a drawer or cupboard before the show is even over!! But I'm fascinated by the show--those people's lives are train wrecks, but you can't look away from a train wreck!

Quote:
Well, you know Oreos are a definite weakness with me! I sent about half of them back to school with Mick and today I'm going to cut the rest into portion-size packs for Jane and stick them in the freezer.
Are you putting them in the freezer to make them less noticeable, accessible, and/or tempting? I think freezing them would make them even BETTER!!

Quote:
Very good point that it's not simply finding that you simply can't eat that low day-in, day-out. You've proved you can and were consistently doing it until this latest issue reared its ugly head.
Exactly. If I go back to doing what I was doing and still can't maintain a lower weight, I will accept that. But I don't expect that to happen.

Quote:
I occasionally have my moments.
And you're MODEST, too!!

Quote:
It went smoothly, for the most part. I messed up the prep (the prep instructions that came with the box were VASTLY different from teh ones the doc had provided, but I didn't realize it until 3:30 when I was filling out the paperwork. But apparently I called an audible well enough to get to the eventual goal. But YEESH that stuff tastes awful.
Hmmmm. If it tasted awful, you must have had something different than I did. What I was told to do was to mix an entire container of Miralax (I think it was 48 doses) in a gallon of Gatorade and drink the whole thing. It tasted mostly like Gatorade. It was too much liquid for my stomach to hold, though, and I started vomiting like crazy, which was unpleasant to say the least. I was afraid I hadn't kept enough down to do the job, but that fear turned out to be baseless.

Quote:
Yay for the downtick! Love those, eh? Good for you for staying onplan even though you were doing your taxes. Sorry for the bad night's sleep. Mine was pretty broken up as I had to get up numerous times. I imagine I'll sleep well tonight!
Yes, I bet you will sleep like a baby tonight! I certainly slept better last night than I did the night before, but I still did not want to get up this morning. The time change did not help.

Quote:
Yes, not exactly copy but use as inspiration, like that Kate Spade purse, or learn from the tutorials on some of the sites -- one site gave me a fantastic bit of a suggestion for solving a common problem. Yes, others can see your boards. They choose to "follow" them, and you decide whether you want to follow that person back. It's sort of still in Beta and I don't think at this time there's any option for blocking anyone, so it's not something you'd want to pin anything sensitive on. When you first start out, you can find friends who are doing it by searching on their emails or names, and eventually you start seeing people whose board you're interested in even if you don't them personally -- people whose board indicate they have similar interests to yours, which means you can look at their boards and "repin" the things they pinned to their boards on to yours, which in turn shares those with your followers.
It definitely sounds cool--kinda like the cork boards we used to put on our dorm room doors in college, only on a much bigger scale!

Quote:
report: weighed, and I'm down an astounding 3.6 pounds to 7 pounds under goal! I nearly fell over when I saw 110 on the scale -- haven't seen that since my twenties. I should do a colonoscopy before every vacation. I know it's all deyhdration and of course the fact I was EMPTY, but still maybe tomorrow or the next day I'll still have a bit of a downtick leftover. Ate nearly nothing yesterday, but planning to go out to lunch with John today. Will skip the treadmill today because I'm feeling a little lightheaded still -- my bp just woudl NOT get back up to my normal low blood pressure level, so we had to wait in recovery for over an hour. John's hovering.
OMG!!! I do not remember how much I lost when I had my colonoscopy, but I know it was nowhere near that much. Even if it doesn't last, I'm sure it was still very nice to see that 110 on the scale!! I have thought many times (given my ongoing struggles with extreme constipation) that I should just do the container of Miralax-in-Gatorade thing every month or so! But sanity has always prevailed. Is your BP low because of not eating, or because of anesthesia?

Quote:
Hope your day was a good one!
It was one of my looooonng days with a trip to Kent for a meeting, but it was a good day. I ate right around 1500 calories today but have still been quite hungry all day, and I am ravenous right now, so I will be interested to see if I support your theory about that by showing a good drop on the scale tomorrow. I was down .2 today. Got a bit of spontaneous exercise (consciously parking far away from destinations and taking the stairs for multiple floors instead of using the elevator). I at least was able to avoid eating meal in the car, so ate everything sitting down, if not as slowly and mindfully as I would like.

I heard from my eharmony match AND from another potential match (another professor, who is also a physician and lives in Columbus) who would like to start communicating with me. I haven't decided what to do about that--partly because I am so confused about the status of the first relationship. Sigh........

Time for me to get to bed. Tomorrow is one of my early class days (with the time change, it will still be dark when I have to get up). I also have a personal training session tomorrow.

How is your mouth doing? Hope you recover quickly from both of your procedures and have a great day tomorrow!

Last edited by 4EverLearning; 03-12-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #139  
Maintaining

Quote:
ME, TOO!!! I'm usually cleaning out a drawer or cupboard before the show is even over!! But I'm fascinated by the show--those people's lives are train wrecks, but you can't look away from a train wreck!
I know. It makes me feel a little bad for watching. I know the point of the show is that these folks are trading their privacy for the help they're getting and that the economics of the situation require people to be watching. But I still feel guilty for being fascinated by breathtaking lack of insight, beyond-dysfunctional family interactions, and filth.

Quote:
Are you putting them in the freezer to make them less noticeable, accessible, and/or tempting? I think freezing them would make them even BETTER!!
Partly to get them off the counter, partly to keep them fresh for lunches, partly to work ahead. I often portion a loaf of bread into sandwich bags, two to a bag, so that in the morning I can pull out a bag, slap on some peanut butter, and stick it back into the sandwich bag and into a lunch sack. Pull out a bag with a brownie in it and add and orange and voila! Jane's lunch is ready to go. I do the same thing for diet-friendly breakfasts -- portion minibagels and a turkey sausage patty into a snack-size bag and I don't have to think too much about what to eat for breakfast, which helps keep me from deciding maybe I'll have a slice of leftover pizza.

Quote:
Hmmmm. If it tasted awful, you must have had something different than I did. What I was told to do was to mix an entire container of Miralax (I think it was 48 doses) in a gallon of Gatorade and drink the whole thing. It tasted mostly like Gatorade.
It was called Suprep. The instructions called for mixing a 6-oz bottle with 10 oz water, drinking that quickly, then following it with a quart of water over the next hour, then a second similar dose 8 hours later. Next time I'll ask if it would be okay to drink it more slowly so I can dilute it more.
Quote:
It was too much liquid for my stomach to hold, though, and I started vomiting like crazy, which was unpleasant to say the least. I was afraid I hadn't kept enough down to do the job, but that fear turned out to be baseless.
One of the nurses actually mentioned that they used to have people drinking a gallon of water, which tended to make people vomit, so now they ask them to drink a LOT less water after the dose. I was supposed to drink an additional 64 oz of "fluids" during the day -- I think probably to prevent dehydration -- but even with starting early I couldn't get all that down so I ended up pretty dehydrated by the time they had to put the IV in. I hate IVs.

[quote]It definitely sounds cool--kinda like the cork boards we used to put on our dorm room doors in college, only on a much bigger scale![quote] That's exactly it!

Quote:
Is your BP low because of not eating, or because of anesthesia?
No clue. My BP tends to be low just in general, though. It's one reason I never worry about how much salt I use.

Quote:
It was one of my looooonng days with a trip to Kent for a meeting, but it was a good day. I ate right around 1500 calories today but have still been quite hungry all day, and I am ravenous right now, so I will be interested to see if I support your theory about that by showing a good drop on the scale tomorrow. I was down .2 today. Got a bit of spontaneous exercise (consciously parking far away from destinations and taking the stairs for multiple floors instead of using the elevator). I at least was able to avoid eating meal in the car, so ate everything sitting down, if not as slowly and mindfully as I would like.
Yay for a good day!

Quote:
I heard from my eharmony match AND from another potential match (another professor, who is also a physician and lives in Columbus) who would like to start communicating with me. I haven't decided what to do about that--partly because I am so confused about the status of the first relationship. Sigh........
JMHO, but I'd say Sayonara to the first match. If he's wishy-washy at this point, he's not worth investing any more effort in. At the very least I wouldn't even CONSIDER it as having any understanding of exclusivity -- he said he wanted to consider it just a friendship, and I'd be taking him at his word on that one. Again, JMHO, and sorry if I'm overstepping boundaries.

On a tangent, would communicating with/dating multiple people cause you more anxiety, or less? What I mean is, if you're dating whoever comes along, both (all) in a no-more-than-friendly fashion, you could possibly see it as not-yet-a-relationship and so less threatening emotionally. You're not in a relationship, you're just exploring whether or not you =want= to be in a relationship with this person. Or would the idea of "dating around" take your brain to an anxious place?

Quote:
How is your mouth doing? Hope you recover quickly from both of your procedures and have a great day tomorrow!
Mouth is nearly healed, yay! SO glad to have all the stitches gone.

Report: weighed (up 3 POUNDS! to 4 below goal), ate very reasonably for lunch and dinner, then had a wine-induced snackfest when Jane brought home a truly evil bag of a caramel-corn, cheese-popcorn, buttered popcorn mix that was like CRACK. I have issued a standing order that it's never to be brought into the house again.

Hope you had a great day!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #140  
Maintaining

Quote:

First, sorry I couldn't get on here last night. Every time I tried to load this page, my computer would time out before the page would come up. I get very frustrated when that happens.
No problem! Apparently I didn't get in here, either! I don't know why! Did I just get too busy? LOL!

Quote:
If I was cooking, or even eating something other than NS food most of the time, I would definitely package my food into individual servings like that. That's a very good strategy for managing portion control AND getting temptation out of sight.
It does help!

Quote:
Mine was low for most of my life, too. I only developed hypertension in the last couple of years that I was obese. Now it's low again.
Yay again!

[quote]

I have had two good days. My weight was up .4 yesterday and down .4 today. Had a great personal training session yesterday and broke my record for most calories burned in an hour (almost 300). Stayed OP both days, ate everything sitting down, ate slowly and mindfully.

Quote:
I hope you are OK and that there is no post from you this morning because there was none from me to respond to, not because something is wrong!
Putting this in as a placeholder -- will update it! Nothing was wrong yesterday, I must have just forgot. Weird. Report: my weight was up a little, 3.2 under goal, but that's still okay. Ate slowly and mindfully but did have a wine-induced snackfast last night, which is likely why I'm up a bit.

Last edited by va1erie; 03-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #141  

Quote:
No problem! Apparently I didn't get in here, either! I don't know why! Did I just get too busy? LOL!
Apparently you have a life!

Quote:
Putting this in as a placeholder -- will update it! Nothing was wrong yesterday, I must have just forgot. Weird. Report: my weight was up a little, 3.2 under goal, but that's still okay. Ate slowly and mindfully but did have a wine-induced snackfast last night, which is likely why I'm up a bit.
You must be going on vacation in what, about two weeks? Are you comfortable with the amount of leeway you have in your weight?

My weight was unchanged. Had a personal training session. My gym just got a rowing machine, so I learned to use that, and I LOVE it! Ate everything slowly and mindfully and sitting down.

I am so looking forward to getting that darn tooth out of my mouth tomorrow (actually later this morning!). I am going to have general anesthesia, so I will probably sleep most of the day tomorrow. Will try to get on here tomorrow night, though. Hope you have a better day than I will!!

Last edited by 4EverLearning; 03-16-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #142  
Maintaining

Quote:

You must be going on vacation in what, about two weeks? Are you comfortable with the amount of leeway you have in your weight?
A week from tomorrow! I'm comfortable, but I'd rather be down a bit. I may try to do shakes-and-bars next Mon-Fri.

Quote:
My weight was unchanged. Had a personal training session. My gym just got a rowing machine, so I learned to use that, and I LOVE it! Ate everything slowly and mindfully and sitting down.
I've never tried rowing! I wonder if I could do it with my knees?

Quote:
I am so looking forward to getting that darn tooth out of my mouth tomorrow (actually later this morning!). I am going to have general anesthesia, so I will probably sleep most of the day tomorrow. Will try to get on here tomorrow night, though. Hope you have a better day than I will!!
I hope it went smoothly for you!

Report: weighed (no change, still 3.2 under goal), ate reasonably, didn't go to class this morning. Got up, dressed, started out, and the tendonitis in my ankle was acting up so I decided to skip it. I really don't want to go through that again.

TTYS!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #143  

Testing to see if this will work.....I see someone else started a thread about having trouble loading certain pages.

WOO HOO on the big weight drop. Don't you just love when that happens, even if you have no idea why it did?? But I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle--especially when you are about to go on vacation!

My weight was down .4 this morning. Stayed OP all day, ate slowly and mindfully, did not exercise. Today my jaw is incredibly sore, and on both sides. And the side of my mouth is all scraped and scabbed over so that I can not open my mouth very wide without cracking it. I feel like I got beat up! The extraction site itself doesn't hurt much, though. Weird.

Hope you had a good day despite your ankle.

Last edited by 4EverLearning; 03-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #144  
Maintaining

Quote:

WOO HOO on the big weight drop. Don't you just love when that happens, even if you have no idea why it did?? But I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle--especially when you are about to go on vacation!
Yeah, I'm really bummed. It means not exercising at all for weeks, too, which is such an incredible drag.

Quote:
My weight was down .4 this morning. Stayed OP all day, ate slowly and mindfully, did not exercise. Today my jaw is incredibly sore, and on both sides. And the side of my mouth is all scraped and scabbed over so that I can not open my mouth very wide without cracking it. I feel like I got beat up! The extraction site itself doesn't hurt much, though. Weird.
Oh, bummer! I hope it starts feeling better soon!

report: weighed (up 1.6 to 2.2 below goal, sigh), didn't exercise. On crutches now, trying to keep from using the ankle at all. Shakes and bars starting tomorrow in an attempt to stave off a weight gain even if I can't lose any before we leave.

Hope you're feeling better!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #145  

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really bummed. It means not exercising at all for weeks, too, which is such an incredible drag.
Did you injure your ankle somehow, or is this just a spontaneous flare-up?

Quote:
report: weighed (up 1.6 to 2.2 below goal, sigh), didn't exercise. On crutches now, trying to keep from using the ankle at all. Shakes and bars starting tomorrow in an attempt to stave off a weight gain even if I can't lose any before we leave.
Oh, no, does that mean you will be on crutches for vacation? What bad timing!

Quote:
Hope you're feeling better!
I do feel somewhat better today, although the whole side of my mouth is scabbed over (looks like a giant cold sore) so that I can barely open my mouth without cracking it. Made it a little difficult to sing (in choir) this morning!

My weight was down .6. I went to the gym (keeping to my plan to amp up the exercise during break) but had a little mishap. I decided to try the stair-stepper on my own (previously only used it with my trainer's supervision). Somehow I accidentally programmed it to go faster and faster. I got going so fast that I was having trouble keeping up but couldn't take my hand off the rail to re-program the machine. When I tried, I slipped. I held on to the rails but ended up sliding down the still-moving staircase on my stomach, which had the effect of suspending all my weight from my arms and really wrenched my shoulder, along with bruising my belly. It was also very embarrassing. The machine, of course, kept running until one of the staff heard me scream and came to turn it off. But at least I didn't hit my mouth on the stairs! Stayed OP all day. Ate everything sitting down and slowly and mindfully.

I sure hope your ankle is feeling better. I feel so bad for you.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #146  
Maintaining

Quote:
Did you injure your ankle somehow, or is this just a spontaneous flare-up?
I don't recall anything at all -- I think it must just be a bit of overuse. It's the same ankle I had the tendonitis on several years ago.

Quote:
Oh, no, does that mean you will be on crutches for vacation? What bad timing!
The worst. I will probably arrange for crutches there and hope I don't need them, but what a drag.

Quote:
My weight was down .6. I went to the gym (keeping to my plan to amp up the exercise during break) but had a little mishap. I decided to try the stair-stepper on my own (previously only used it with my trainer's supervision). Somehow I accidentally programmed it to go faster and faster. I got going so fast that I was having trouble keeping up but couldn't take my hand off the rail to re-program the machine. When I tried, I slipped. I held on to the rails but ended up sliding down the still-moving staircase on my stomach, which had the effect of suspending all my weight from my arms and really wrenched my shoulder, along with bruising my belly. It was also very embarrassing. The machine, of course, kept running until one of the staff heard me scream and came to turn it off. But at least I didn't hit my mouth on the stairs! Stayed OP all day. Ate everything sitting down and slowly and mindfully.
OMG! Isn't there a clip that you can clip to your wrist or waistband that automatically turns off the machine if you fall? I'm so glad you weren't badly hurt!

report: weighed (down .4 to 2.6 below goal), ate reasonably, didn't exercise. Won't be going to class until after vacation, at the earliest. I may try to do non-ankle involving things like pushups and curls on my own, though.

Hope you had a good day!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #147  

Quote:
I don't recall anything at all -- I think it must just be a bit of overuse. It's the same ankle I had the tendonitis on several years ago. The worst. I will probably arrange for crutches there and hope I don't need them, but what a drag.
TOTALLY a drag. I hope it won't keep you from having a wonderful time!

Quote:
OMG! Isn't there a clip that you can clip to your wrist or waistband that automatically turns off the machine if you fall? I'm so glad you weren't badly hurt!
No, isn't that crazy? I asked the trainer the same thing, since he always makes me wear that clip when I'm on the treadmill, even when he is standing right next to me. And even worse, the switches are up at the top of the staircase, too high up for anyone who is not standing on the staircase to reach. So the staff person who turned off the machine for me had to first get a step stool! I won't be using that again unless my trainer is right there.

Quote:
report: weighed (down .4 to 2.6 below goal), ate reasonably, didn't exercise. Won't be going to class until after vacation, at the earliest. I may try to do non-ankle involving things like pushups and curls on my own, though.
Having an ankle that is out of commission really limits the exercise options, for sure. Even push-ups sound really difficult. The only thing you can really do to get your heart rate up is to move your arms. What are you thinking about how you'll handle eating on your vacation, since you won't be able to burn as many calories and don't have as much of a cushion as you hoped?

My weight was down 1.4 this morning (??????). I REALLY feel like I got beaten up now, between my jaw, the side of my mouth, my bruised belly, and a very sore shoulder, so I didn't exercise. I have a training session tomorrow and hope I can keep up! Stayed OP. Ate slowly and mindfully. Am feeling in control again, which is a relief.

Hope you had a better day today.

Last edited by 4EverLearning; 03-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #148  
Maintaining

Quote:
TOTALLY a drag. I hope it won't keep you from having a wonderful time!
I'm sure I'll still have a good time. But I'll have to skip a lot of stuff like shopping, walking around, etc. I won't be able to wear most of the shoes I'd planned to take with me. But without being able to get any exercise at all, it means limiting my eating even more, which of course is hard on vacation already. And

Quote:
No, isn't that crazy? I asked the trainer the same thing, since he always makes me wear that clip when I'm on the treadmill, even when he is standing right next to me. And even worse, the switches are up at the top of the staircase, too high up for anyone who is not standing on the staircase to reach. So the staff person who turned off the machine for me had to first get a step stool! I won't be using that again unless my trainer is right there.
Wow, that's nuts! They're going to end up with someone really hurt.

Quote:
Having an ankle that is out of commission really limits the exercise options, for sure. Even push-ups sound really difficult. The only thing you can really do to get your heart rate up is to move your arms. What are you thinking about how you'll handle eating on your vacation, since you won't be able to burn as many calories and don't have as much of a cushion as you hoped?
I'd already planned on focussing on seafood. I love seafood and of course can't often get it fresh, so that helps. And I'll just have to be really strict about completely avoiding anything I could get here at home.

Quote:
My weight was down 1.4 this morning (??????). I REALLY feel like I got beaten up now, between my jaw, the side of my mouth, my bruised belly, and a very sore shoulder, so I didn't exercise. I have a training session tomorrow and hope I can keep up! Stayed OP. Ate slowly and mindfully. Am feeling in control again, which is a relief.
Yay you for feeling back in control!

report: weighed (no change, still 2.6 under goal), ate reasonably but didn't do the bars and shakes. I was just feeling too sorry for myself sitting in the kitchen watching Bollywood with my foot propped up. It's easier to do the bars and shakes route when you're busy.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #149  

Quote:
I'm sure I'll still have a good time. But I'll have to skip a lot of stuff like shopping, walking around, etc. I won't be able to wear most of the shoes I'd planned to take with me. But without being able to get any exercise at all, it means limiting my eating even more, which of course is hard on vacation already. And
Looks like something got cut off here at the end! I'm glad you have a good attitude about your vacation, even with the limitations you will face.

Quote:
Wow, that's nuts! They're going to end up with someone really hurt.
I told my trainer about it today, and he said they bought the stair-stepper used, so he suspects that it is an old model without safety features that are standard on newer models. He said the very same thing happened to him the first time he tried it, so I shouldn't feel bad!

Quote:
I'd already planned on focussing on seafood. I love seafood and of course can't often get it fresh, so that helps. And I'll just have to be really strict about completely avoiding anything I could get here at home.
Seafood is always a good way to go, and it's a good thing you actually LIKE seafood! I think the strategy of avoiding everything you could get at home is really rational and helpful--honors the idea of a vacation without going overboard.

Quote:
Yay you for feeling back in control!
I do feel a lot better. Part of it may be situational, though. I'm going to be meeting my second eHarmony match in person for the first time this weekend, and I will feel much better about that if I feel on top of my eating.

Quote:
report: weighed (no change, still 2.6 under goal), ate reasonably but didn't do the bars and shakes. I was just feeling too sorry for myself sitting in the kitchen watching Bollywood with my foot propped up. It's easier to do the bars and shakes route when you're busy.
Aw, you're allowed to feel sorry for yourself, and I don't blame you a bit. And good for you for not letting feeling sorry for yourself be an excuse for overeating.

My weight was down another .6 this morning. That's three good losses in a row (I was back under 130 today, for the first time in weeks), so I suspect I may be dehydrated. It will be interesting to see what the scale says tomorrow. I really kicked up the exercise today. First I walked to the gym for my personal training session. I got there half an hour early, so I worked out on my own before the session. Then I walked home a very roundabout way. I believe I walked about 12 miles. My Exerspy says I took over 21000 steps (a record for me) and that I burned almost 2200 calories, and I know both of those are underestimates, because I didn't put the Exerspy on until I'd already been awake for a couple of hours. I ate about 1500 calories, so I definitely had a good deficit. Ate everything sitting down and slowly and mindfully. I definitely did not want to overeat and undo all that exercise! That's one of the best benefits of exercise.

I am incredibly exhausted and suspect I will sleep really well, despite the fact that it is 86 degrees in here right now. I can't remember if I told you that my air conditioner died months ago and hasn't been replaced yet. It will be done on Saturday--just about the time the weather is supposed to cool off anyway. In the meantime, I am sweltering, especially during the constant hot flashes I get because of that darn medication.

Hope you had a better day and aren't feeling quite so sorry for yourself.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #150  
Maintaining

Quote:
I do feel a lot better. Part of it may be situational, though. I'm going to be meeting my second eHarmony match in person for the first time this weekend, and I will feel much better about that if I feel on top of my eating.
Very cool! I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes! BTW, I'm considering not taking my laptop with me on vacation, just to help limit how much stuff I need to carry with me. John'll probably take his iPad, so I might be able to get on with that.

Quote:
Aw, you're allowed to feel sorry for yourself, and I don't blame you a bit. And good for you for not letting feeling sorry for yourself be an excuse for overeating.
I actually had good news! I saw my doc and he thinks this isn't tendonitis but more likely a stress fracture. This is great news because a stress fracture won't be made worse by overuse as long as it's reasonable overuse. So I don't have to completely baby myself. I can walk through the pain without worrying so much.

Quote:
My weight was down another .6 this morning. That's three good losses in a row (I was back under 130 today, for the first time in weeks), so I suspect I may be dehydrated. It will be interesting to see what the scale says tomorrow. I really kicked up the exercise today. First I walked to the gym for my personal training session. I got there half an hour early, so I worked out on my own before the session. Then I walked home a very roundabout way. I believe I walked about 12 miles. My Exerspy says I took over 21000 steps (a record for me) and that I burned almost 2200 calories, and I know both of those are underestimates, because I didn't put the Exerspy on until I'd already been awake for a couple of hours. I ate about 1500 calories, so I definitely had a good deficit. Ate everything sitting down and slowly and mindfully. I definitely did not want to overeat and undo all that exercise! That's one of the best benefits of exercise.
Yay, you! Wow, 12 miles and 21000 steps!

Quote:
I am incredibly exhausted and suspect I will sleep really well, despite the fact that it is 86 degrees in here right now. I can't remember if I told you that my air conditioner died months ago and hasn't been replaced yet. It will be done on Saturday--just about the time the weather is supposed to cool off anyway. In the meantime, I am sweltering, especially during the constant hot flashes I get because of that darn medication.
Oh, bummer on the AC! Hope you did get that good night's sleep!

Report: forgot to weigh this morning! Oops. Ate pretty reasonably yesterday, so fingers crossed for tomorrow. I have a hugely busy day today to get ready for leaving Saturday.

Last edited by va1erie; 03-21-2012 at 08:46 AM.