Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

Doing well with calorie count. Didn't exercise today. We finally got rain and it's made me feel lazy all afternoon. Spent morning withDS. I'm kida glad he's between cars. I'm afraid once he gets one I won't get to see him near as often. Have a great 4th ladies!

Isabella: So what did you buy? You asked why I have trouble eating enough. It's 2fold. Emotionally I'm an all or nothing kind of person. So now I'm struggling with balance in all areas of my like. Also between drinking my herbal tea and dividing calories into 5 "meals" and 8 glasses water I'm just not hungary. I've never had problems sticking with a diet and loosing for about 4-6 mo. tops. Until something emotional happens in my life. I could fill a yr of Oprah shows with that. I'm hoping being here will help me through that hump, and actually working on how to deal with my emotions.

red: Yeah Red Way to go.

Cajun: Way to Go, WAH HOOO! 3 pds. Goodbye plateu. Hate those.

Bobbie: Maybe Doc is just unhappy. Running up & down stairs is hard work and garden lifting, digging, pulling builds muscles. I found out hard way when I quit gardening a few years ago and the strength and muscles just disapeared.

Deelee: Yep! Grandbabies wear me out!!

Mary: So glad you got your sham, I just love pretty beds.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #47  

Height: 5'3"

From 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (paraphrased and with my notes in parenthesis)
Eat Reasonable Amounts (gosh, that sounds so sensible doesn't it?) Learn how to estimate amounts so you can do it when you eat out or at other's homes so you don't put too much on your plate. At home estimate and then measure until you are confident with your accuracy. Even after that every now and then measure to keep you on track as servings tend to get larger if you don't. (yep!)

If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castille (paraphrased by me)

What You Believe Is Who You Are
Every single negative feeling is caused by a belief we have. Change the belief and you lose the feeling.

Belief Tool#1
Beliefs are the foundation for our identity. It is not the events in our lives that shape us, rather our beliefs about what those events mean.
Often beliefs are based on misinterpretation of past experiences. Nothing can take away your essence. A horrible experience does not have the power to damage who you are to your core unless you believe it does and live your life as if it does.

Human beings have the power to hurt us physically They have the power to over power us emotionally as children. They can tell us to believe that we are wrong, horrible, shameful and to blame. THEY CANNOT MAKE US BELIEVE THEM. As children we can't make this distinction because we are still being taught what to believe. As adults we can choose what we will or won't believe anymore. No matter what anyone says or does to us, we have the sacred, protected space of free will and choice over what we believe. No one can touch that space. It is a sacred gift from our Creator.

No matter what happened to you...you have the choice to believe what you want about the event and what it means to you. You have the choice to either blame the perpetrator or to believe the truth. Your soul is untouched unless you allow it. Even if someone takes your physical life they cannot touch your soul. Believe in your value, your strength etc. No matter how much fat you have on your body or how much pain you've had in your past, decide now to believe in yourself from this moment on.

It's not what they did. It's what you believe about what they did that hurts.

Last edited by maryea; 07-03-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi Goldens!

Whew! It is 103 here today and some temps are reading even hotter. Not good news for the weekend. No campfires allowed anywhere.

Tomorrow I am spending time in the afternoon with my folks. Thursday morning is my endoscopy. Maybe I will take the boat out this weekend. I often wonder if the ibuprofen and aspirin that I take is helpful to my joint pain. I am getting the answer this week. I am not able to take it for a couple days before the procedure. I will be glad to get back on it.

Bobbi, I love your adventures in frugality. Splenda makes brown sugar version that is part sugar, part splenda. I also like to blend some oatmeal in the blender and add it to crumbles. It adds substance and texture. oh, and watch the sales and online for a sitting cycle thing. You can sit on the computer and bike away under your desk. or use it while you watch tv.

Amarantha, sorry, it was Ginger that asked me about the boat. i think cycling back and forth on calories is helpful.

Dee, the sweating issue and having to get gussied up to meet the day is one of the reasons that I am a devoted at-home workout fanatic. If it doesn't get done first thing in the morning, it isn't going to get done. However, if you are too tired that you need to rest all day, you are working out too hard.

Cajun, Wahooooooo! Break that plateau. You asked about staying on plan while camping. Usually, I only eat two meals per day, lots of protein, and I walk and move alot. I usually don't gain in the mountains.

Mary, I think the time you spent as a SAHM was a worthy investment. I like the legion here and I was an associate member for a long time. It is a good organization.

Red, Yay on the weight loss. Everyone is getting skinny here!

Isabella, I love those salt and pepper shakers. Have you looked online? I used to have some and I don't remember where I put them....

Donna, I am melting here today...

CaddyK, are you selling your RV?

Karenfl, how are you and how is dash getting along? Have you been using the pool?

Gayle, I hope you have a good 4th.

Zoe, Marie, and anyone else out there.... miss you.

Rie

Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

I'm not asking for advice here I just need to poor my heart out. I need comfort for an ongoing emotional pain I rarely talk about. My DSJ that lives at home with us not the DSK I spoke of earlier, breaks my heart and sometimes it really is so overwhealming. But Tonight. I didn't eat over it. So there is that, He is in mid 30's ,IMHO has aspergers, has been teated off and on since age 15 for manic deoression, but refuses treatment now over paranoid issues and goes in and out of AA. When we argue he always wants to go live on the streets in a city 100 miles from here. He won't survive that, even my DH admitted tonight we have no choice but to have him live here.
I so wish we could afford to get him a mobile home or apartment. He rarely works, though he is an honest hard worker, jobs are very hard to come by. He has more college than I, just doesn't finnish, same thing with trade school. If not for an angel Tai Kwon do mentor I think he'd be dead by now. There where many years when suicide was a constant concern.Most of the time things are fine, he tries to help around house and takes me and Penny (my mini dachsund) for picnics to the river. Ilove my 1st born emensly and want peace for him. for all of us but I don't see it happening. His siblings avoid him like the plague, MDDK refuses to bring her babies here without her hubby and DH standing by and after my DDL's kids where here in May, now her kids can only come with thier parents. and none of then seem to get that DSJ is my baby! I can't throw him in the street. OK That's enough for now. can't stop crying and don't need a headache, just needed to vent somewhere. Sorry, Probably not appropriate here.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #50  

Hi everyone and happy 4th to you all. not much going on here. kids are working and dh is on a roll to clean the basment so im not pestering him to go anywhere. hes must be feeling alot better after this loooong winter as hes ever so busy healthyginger im so sry for your troubles and dont feel badly about sharing your feelings here we all do that at times and support each other. has any one heard from lynn? shes not been posting. hope the heat is not affecting you all to much. im with donna i hate the heat and love alaskas weather. congrats to all who are loosing and for all for our cont. efforts rosey
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #51  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Ginger, vent all you want. You may be surprised that there are gals on this thread that can so identify with you and will give you great comfort. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Happy 4th of July to all my American friends. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Last edited by retiredone; 07-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #52  
Empress/Queen

Happy 4th of July to all of us (me included) who live in America! I've already been out on the trail (in the dark lol) with a special hiking group organized to do some trail running and walking this morning and some of us added some standing pilates exercises (in the dark). A lot of fun and I am thankful a friend invited me to come along as I don't really know these people.

Thanks for clarifying, Rie!

Ginger, so sorry that you are going through emotional pain and yea, venting is appropriate pretty much everywhere and especially in a nice group like this, one of the nicest I've encountered online. Hugs.

Maryea, I loved what you paraphrased from the book about belief. That was exactly what I needed this morning. I may find that book and get a quote about that to add to my sig line. Thank you.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Ginger - I have heard different theories on calories. The one I think is the most healthy is to reduce your calorie intake by 500 cal per day. I guess that means from what you normally eat that maintains your current weight. That would only work for so long, because sooner or later that calorie count would be maintaining your new weight and you would have to reduce it further to continue to lose. Other people said to look up the calories count required for your goal weight and eat that, but if you are looking to lose a alot of weight, that would be a really big reduction of cals at the beginning, and might throw your body into starvation mode. A good rule would be to find the highest number of calories you can eat and still lose, and stick with that. When you've lost some, start to cut back until you start losing again. I have found that the more veggies you eat, the more volume of food you get for your calorie count.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #54  

Dee - I understand that sweating is inconvenient for your personal grooming, but it is so good for your body! It gets the toxins out. I sweat relatively easy, and that's one of the reasons I prefer to exercise at home and take my shower afterwards. DH sweats very heavily. He does a lot of physical work and is always dripping wet when he's done.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #55  

Default Malware question

I'm wondering if Marie or anyone else here knows anything about this. I heard on the news last night that if you have malware on your computer, you will not be able to log onto the internet on July 9. What's up with that? Anyone know?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #56  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy 4th of July, we are blessed to live in a free country.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #57  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good 4th of July, All…

HealthyGinger
(can I just call you Ginger? Or Healthy?) – back to an earlier post: you said instead of eating, you read a funny book. Oh, do tell, please! I do have trouble with some of your acronyms, though… what is GH? DSJ? DSK? Okay, I’ve figured out DSJ and DSK, but I haven’t a clue about GH.

I’m so sorry about your son’s problems and, thus, yours. Are you married? Is your husband a help to you? Please don’t ever think it’s inappropriate to vent and muse here; we’re about a lot more than stinkin’ diets! My good thoughts are with you.

Isabella – I loved those stainless steel shakers! So sleek and shiny (I do like shiny things LOL).

Bobbi – it just makes me chuckle that you’re so enthused about being thrifty. It really is a good feeling, isn’t it? Simple pleasures, yes? And what’s going on with the condo/your house sale? Your doc doesn’t amuse me anymore than he was amused at you. What a stuffy poop!

Rie – did you survive the hot temps yesterday? We had a LOVELY day, got to about 90, slight rain shower in the afternoon… very nice! The WeatherFools are saying that the monsoon season will be upon us early this year (the fire areas will like that), so it should be very pleasant here for the next couple of weeks. Yay!

Rosey – glad Steve is feeling better! It’s been a hard winter for you both, yes? How are Gizmo, Toots, Daisy, Sadie, Lucky Lady… and any of the others I missed?

CarolSue – what did we ever do without you? I hope there isn’t some big computer crisis coming on the 9th!

I just called Lynn, and she’s fine. She said she’s been posting on the Walk to Colorado forum (is that a good description?). She said she’d check in here periodically.

Nothing going on here. I’ve been embroiled in more (more, more, more) insurance caca with GM. The job is fine; I’m healthy and SamCat is a miracle.

I’ve been doing my “conscious eating”, along with the hormones, for the last almost week, and it’s going very well. I persevered through a “chew the paint off the wall” cravings attack last night, and I think the next one won’t be so bad. I’ll be doing it for a total of two weeks and, if I’m compliant, it should be good for several pounds lost. It’s all good. And I sleep so well on this and feel great. I don't know why I don't follow the principles all the time!

Marie – hope you and your furbabies are all well (yes, our Beloved, Sasha, Kody, Blizzie, David). Does it ever get warm there, as in the hot temps we have?

Have a good 4th, Everyone!

Attached Images
File Type: gif 4th of July.gif (57.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been MIA. Am still around - posting on the Walking to Colarado Springs thread.

Hope everyone has a Happy 4th of July!

Lynn
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #59  

Happy Independence Day to you all!! It is turning out very pretty here...supposed to be just right. We plan on going to Ft Vancouver for the fireworks show. I prefer to go during the day and then come home before dark, but dh does love the fireworks...and we haven't been for three years so can't deny him, esp when he says it might be his last time. Well will see...LOL He's pretty spry for his age and I hope that continues. His balance is still not 100% though...and the other day he almost fell but he does have pretty good strength and managed to catch himself.

Lynn...Hi! Nice to "see" you again! I'm glad to know you are still posting even if on another forum. I don't usually check that one since I haven't been participating. And I understand as I have a hard time posting to more than one myself. I've been trying to do the challenge thread but challenges don't seem to help me stay on track...it's not them, it's me...I am just not challenged that much by challenges! LOL I tend to do my own thing regardless even if it's not always the best and posting good or bad does not seem to help me. Come to think of it, I've always been a kind of "do your own thing, no matter what others think" kind of gal... That is good in some ways but not so good in others.

Donna - Glad your program is working for you.

Slmn11 - Good comments on the sweating thing. I was reminded of a friend I spoke with the other day. She and her dh live in PI where they sweat more due to the tropical weather. When they visit here they don't sweat and their BP goes up and they don't feel so well! On the calories, I've heard from diet coaches say, pick your ideal body weight and add a 0, so if you want to be 140 lbs, eat no more than 1400 calories. Anyone try that?

Amara - I'm glad the book excerpts are helping you too. Some of it has been very helpful to me...mostly mentally so far but hopefully I will begin to apply it to my eating behavior.

Ginger - That's the neat thing about this forum...you are free to vent any time. We can listen and encourage. There are many difficult family situations represented here and we all need encouragement. Of course, you love your son and this situation has to be very difficult. I'm glad he has a mentor in his life to help. I'm sure it is a daily struggle for you all. I pray that he will get the help he needs and that you will all find peace. I encourage you to take at least a few minutes every day of quiet time yourself, preferably as you start your day, to draw strength and faith for the day. I do not have as difficult situation in my home as you do, but I still need to do this. In fact I often feel the need to do it more than once a day. We have four children and several gc and they all have needs for which we pray constantly. You never stop loving or caring about your children. I cried with you as I read your post and I have prayed for you and will continue.

Last edited by maryea; 07-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #60  

Hi GG's,

I had to look back to see how long it had been since I had posted. Sorry to say, way too long. I have checked in a few times, so i've sort of kept up, but there is no excuse for not posting! Hope everyone is having a good 4th! We just went and bought steaks, so I guess I'll indulge a little bit tonight. Actually just steak and baked potato and salad, so not too much. We've had the Grands for the last 2 days so i've done a lot of running around. Got the labs back from the Dr. appointment from last week. Good news, and bad. Good: my cholesterol is WNL's now so that is wonderful. Bad: my vit D leavel didn't go up any at all. After 3 months of taking prescription, industural strength vit D. and trying to get at least 15 min. of sun a day. So he increased the dose. I finally made an appointment for my first every colonoscopy, next Tuesday. Not thrilled about it, but long time over due.

Donna, it's a 100 degrees here. You know how I hate the heat! It's supposed to cool down over the weekend. I hope this time the weather people get it right.

Can't remember who brought up the thermostat war, but we play it too. DH is always cold I am always hot. he truns it up, I got behind him and turn it down.

Ginger, so to hear about your troubles with your DS. And feel free to come here and vent any time you like. That's what friends are for. Big hug from me, and a few prayers too.

Bobbi, Look who's turned into Miss Thrifty! I have to say, I guess I've always been. I love a sale. Have a real averson to paying full price for anything. I would say it was the way I was raised, but I have a brother who is the exact oposite. Any one looking at the house yet?

Rie, Good luck with that endoscopy. I've got a feeling in a couple of days you're going to feel the effects of not taking the meds. They do help with the pain and keep the inflamation down.

Red and Cajun, Congrats!!!! Losing is always such a welcome thing. What ever you're doing is working, so keep it up!

Forgive the memory, I'm old ya know, but who brought up how many calories you eat? I try to stay between 1200-1500 hundred with an occasional 1800. It seems to work ok for me. If I eat a lot one day I eat less the next couple. I have noticed that sometimes after the 1800 day I lose. A pound is usually 3000 calories. So you have to eat more than 300 calories over what it takes to maintain your body weight to gain a pound, or under to lose.

Isabell, I've never had problems eating enough calories either. I really have to watch to keep from over eating. Can't ever remember forgetting to eat a meal.

Hi Rosie, I'm trying to get DH interested in cleaning too. The carpets really need to be cleaned, and the basement could use some TLC too.

Mary, I took the Grands to see the local fireworks last week. Learned later that a boy was shot walking home afterwards. Found out later that in another city close by another boy was shot afterwards, for his sunglasses. I don't know that I will be going again. We live in a little, quiet area. I found it hard to believe that soemthing like that happened here. Shame...

Dee, I really sweat when I exercise too. Very annoying, but it's the body's way of keep cool, and it gets rid of toxins. I am usually dripping after 1/2 hour.

Everyone, I will do better about keeping up.

Freda
Closed Thread