Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #46  

Height: 5'3"

Ter - that's the kind of thing I'm working on...realizing I just need to make a good decision, and then another, then another you know? I do think I'm getting a little better at it. I've learned this diet thing is so much more than my tummy and food, it is a mental thing, and me choosing to make good decisions.
Keep up these type reminders because they do help.

Today's been an unusual day in that I haven't had a real meal since breakfast. I couldn't sleep last night (hot flashes) and so when I finally got to sleep I slept in til ten. Had a good breakfast of oatmeal with 1/2 banana and Splenda brown sugar blend and a couple T of NF milk but then had to go out for a mammogram...had to wait quite a while before I got in and then it all took a while...and before I knew it it was 4 pm and I was in a grocery store picking up a few things before heading home. I stopped at Starbucks for a light mocha Frappe (110 cal) before I left. It was my treat for going through the darn mammogram!

Tonight we are going out to eat with our son and his gf friend. I have over 1100 calories to spare but of course will still have to watch the carbs. Can't have too many at one meal. Here's my chance to pig out...LOL..and Darn diabetes!

Last edited by maryea; 01-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #47  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Tera, congrats on the calories staying in your range. You are so on track, it's awesome. I could never make an 8 pound goal in 4 weeks unless I chopped off a leg but since you're losing at the higher cal amount, I bet you'll be able to do it. BTW 2/18 is my DGS's 6th birthday. I think you and your DD should shop for a new pair of skinny jeans for you when you make the goal.

Mary, I hope you enjoy your dinner out. I am so enjoying 'Bucks new skinny mochas. I had a venti blended one yesterday after my appointment. I figure a tall is 110 so a venti is about 175 cals. Very wonderful for the mocha addict in me.

Rie, I'm so sorry you had to have additional surgery at your visit. Can I ask how your teeth got so messed up?

Can you believe how all of us are on track. This is awesome.

As you might be able to tell from my post "tone" I'm doing pretty well. I still have pain but it is just there, not bad. There is definitely something wrong and I really liked the dr I saw yesterday. She gave me Percocet so I don't ever have to go through that pain again (in 3 weeks since I'm regular) as we "plan the course" of how to deal with it permanently. She ran a Brac? gene testing to test for ovarian and breast cancer (both in my immediate family tree). The exam she couldn't feel the right ovary to check for abnormalities because there was so much swelling. That was different from the normal exam 4 weeks ago. I know, TMI. Anyway, we're waiting on insurance pre-authorization for an ultrasound. So maybe in a week I will know more. Today I did take the prescription naproxen and it took the lower pain down another notch. So I ellipticalled with effort and made my time and distance. I walked the doggies with DH this morning before he flew off to San Antonio. And then just now I did the PS3 Zumba workout. The exercise didn't make it more painful. The last 3 days, moving made it worse so this is so awesome. I'm still not eating much and I like that. And I'm no longer craving Chocolate Chip Cookies as though they'd make the pain go away. So for now, I'm doing ok. Perhaps when the abdominal swelling goes down, the scale will follow suit.
Marie
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello all

I am on plan today. I won't give my menu at this late hour but I am in at 1008 calories, 135 carbs and 38grams fiber. I had a really long day at work and pool league tonight.

Marie, I am pleased that you got in to see the dr. I am keeping my fingers crossed for good results. Actually, my teeth are a result of several factors. Genetics - my dad's family has very bad teeth. Second, I was poor for much of my early adult life and didn't have good dental care. I also was plagued by high fevers and lots of antibiotics when I was a small child that hurt my teeth. The front of my mouth was seriously damaged because I had two abcesses that were not able to be treated successfully. The infections seriously took most of the bone in my upper jaw. I have a partial with 2 teeth and I want implants. I have one small surgical mini thing in two weeks and then I will be done for several months as it heals.

Mary, yes, it is mostly a head thing. But, in general, you are doing better than in the time that I have known you. I hope you enjoy the evening with ds and his gf.

Tera, I am so jealous of the calories that you eat. I think you will meet your goals.

Time for bed..... Rie
Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #49  

I thought I did pretty well last night. We went for Mexican and I suddenly got hungry when we walked into the restaurant even though I ate some celery before we left home. I ate a lot but only til full. My dh was surprised I think that I didn't mention dessert and later he said he was glad as he was too full. I usually expect him to share dessert with me.
But I was just comfortably full. I'm sure I got way too many carbs however I didn't feel any effects from it.

Meals so far today:
breakfast - yogurt, 1/4 c blue berries and 1/4 c cereal.
am snack - 1/2 banana and 4 cashews
Lunch - Potato soup, 10 crackers, 1 t. garlic & herb cheese spread.
pm snack - cup light orange juice, 5 cashews
later pm snack - milky way candy bar (I'm being honest!)
Dinner - Did some emotional eating tonight I'm afraid. Silly me, I let a couple issues make me overeat. Normally I don't have a problem with portion control at dinner but I sure did tonight.
1 cup lightly fried rice (about 1/2 T butter and 1/2 t. soy sauce), 3 oz broiled salmon with 1/3 T soy sauce on it, 1 cup steamed broccoli, and 1 1/2 c. Ideal Chocolate Milk! It all tasted so good and I'm very full right now!

Marie - glad you are feeling better.

Last edited by maryea; 01-12-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #50  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERAPET View Post
maryea-Sometimes when I want to eat something I know I should not, I remind myself what it feels like to take off the extra pounds. Lately that is actually working for me! That and the calorie counting, journaling, posting here and exercising on a regular basis. I have also set a goal date for myself of around 2/18 since I am planning to visit my daughter at college then. I could even ask for my skinny jeans back but I wouldn't because she looks so cute in them.

Total calories today were 1905 and I went to step class at the Y
Good point! But see, I've never really thought this way...just finally beginning to..

The way you are doing I think you will meet your goal!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 160/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Still hanging in

The bad news is my home got robbed! Yes, I came home to my freaked out daughter who had arrived home just a few minutes before me to drawers up-ended, closets ripped through and 3 computers gone...PS3 , Wii, jewelry, cameras, etc.. So obviously, it's been a terrible week. We've calmed down now and I found a little time tonight so I figured I'd check in. Everyone seems to be doing fairly well with the challenge. I have lost 4 pounds since the first. It's the first time the scale has moved in months but I'll be honest, I'm hungry much of the time. I used to eat tons of protein and that was my way of life but I've just lost my taste for it and the carbs pack on pounds. I compensate with fiber crackers but then, well...there is a price to pay late in the day. I've been good about always getting to the gym even if it is only for 30 minutes. When I have the time I like to spend about an hour. Yesterday i just wasn't in the mood. I went anyway but I never got the mojo going. Well, I'll try again tomorrow because my pants are fitting a little better and I sure don't want to head back the other way. I didn't eat over the robbery-I won't let them have that too! Have a great week-I hope I get to check in more.

Trish
Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Marie-I am glad your appointment was helpful and that you are feeling better. Yeah for staying away from the cookies. I am sure that would be very tempting when you were not feeling well.

Rie-Well at least you are making progress on your dental work. My husband has had a ton of dental procedures also. I like to say he has a "million dollar" smile.

maryea-Way to go skipping the dessert. Your waist will thank you!

Thriller-My friend's house was broken into when I was a teenager. It made me realize how traumatic it is to have your home invaded. I am sorry that happened to you.

I claculated my total calories at 1740 but i did eat at a restaurant so I may be low. Exercise for the day was a 60 minute weight training class. I cannot say for sure if I will lose much at this calorie level but it is a good start. When I get used to this I can try to stay under a lower level. Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I would really like to make this work.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #53  

Hello friends,

Here is today's menu:

Breakfast: fiber one cereal with 1/2c almond breeze and sprinkle of ground flax, one small apple with PB2
Lunch:salad of romaine lettuce, chopped peppers, cucumber and one tomato slice with a little ranch, 2oz chicken breast, a little watermelon
Supper: poached cod fillet, oven roasted potatoes, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, 1.5 tb olive oil
Evening Snack: 1/2c almond breeze, whole flax seed, chocolate pudding yogurt

981 calories, 123 carbs, 43 fiber. 40 oz water

I didn't get in enough water today. I was just so busy and trapped in meetings all day. Ugh. Working at home tomorrow but I have so much work to do that I feel overwhelmed. One step at a time, right?

Thriller, I am so sorry about the burglary. Glad that no one was hurt. Lots of feelings will come up and that is normal. If I can help or provide any insight, feel free to message me.

Mary, you are doing well! Good job on the bs.

Marie, get better. I am ordering Zumba for the wii.

Tera, 60 minutes of weight training is great. I think your plan is wonderful. This is a lifestyle choice, not a temporary diet.

Hang in there, everyone!

Rie
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #54  

Trish - Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear about your house being burglarized! Glad neither you nor your dd were at home so you weren't hurt but oh, my that must have been terrible to come home to and a costly loss! That happened to my bro and his wife one time when they were on a trip. In their case not much of value was taken but they just trashed the house, which just seems so mean, I don't know why people act like that.. I'm glad you didn't allow it to drive you to food. You're doing so well.

Last edited by maryea; 01-12-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #55  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rie, I'm excited for you that in a bit you'll have a beautiful set of teeth. You must be excited. I appreciate you explaining what you were having done.

Trish I am so sorry your home was robbed. My DD's home was robbed a couple days before Christmas last year and she felt so violated. I hope you recover from the robbery soon. And to your daughter. On the brighter side, congrats on the four pound loss. There is nothing better than one's jeans/pant feeling better.

Tera, I think you have a good plan on the calorie amounts. If you're not impatient for losses instantaneously, I think you're way makes sense. You'll know where your limits are.

Rie, I am having a blast with the Zumba. I'm guessing since the Wii has been around longer than PS3 Move, the tracking on it might be better. Regardless, I am having a blast. Word of caution, make sure you have dance shoes. I researched it and I was first using my running shoes and I was awkward and it was more difficult. Apparently if your shoes wedge at the bottom like a tire, it can hurt your knees for all the lateral moves in Zumba.

I'm still in the 1200-1300 cal range but plan to bring it back to the 1400-1600 range soon. I'm not in a hurry like written above. I'd like to see the 16 pounds remaining to lose gone by about June. The high range should let me succeed. Exercise has been good. It's funny how AR I am about my aerobics schedule. I know it's because of the bipolar and never, ever wanting to have to go back to meds, but I have my MTW and FS schedule for aerobics. I felt lousy on Monday so I missed day 1. I made up for it yesterday. I did a bike ride on my "day of rest". Clearly I'm addicted to exercise. And on Thursday was my 6 year anniversary of not missing a day exercising. OK, that is misleading as the day I had surgery two years ago, I missed a day. And I had a nasty cold that made my asthma not allow exercise about 3 years ago. I'd guess (without pulling out my database that has the entire log) I've missed about 8 days total. I really like that stat.
Marie
Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #56  

Marie-My goodness. That is quite an accomplishment. Only 8 days missed. I don't know if i have ever exercised 8 days in a row. I do believe exercise though is key to physical happiness.

Rie-Your job sure keeps you hopping! I hope the weekend means some respite for you.

I was not on plan today. I am guessing 2105 calories but it may be low. Well, Fridays are a challenge. The "FAC" habit is hard to break. (Friday Afternoon Club)
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #57  

I found this statement in a diet book review on Amazon. It was written by Jennifer Charron. Jennifer if you should read this I hope you won't mind that I posted it because it really resonated with me and I hope it will also help others.

"Every minute of every day is an opportunity to make the right decision - towards better health or towards a future bigger struggle."

I learned from another diet program how becoming more healthy (whether we need to lose weight or not) is a matter of making a good decision, then making another one, then making another one, and so on. It is not making one big decision and your whole life is different..I suppose that could happen but with most of us, it will have to be a daily moment by moment decision. I have already experienced this concept in other areas of my life. It definitely is a matter of moment by moment decisions for me and while I'm far from perfect at it, thinking like this is helping me.

Some good decisions I made today:
1. I chose to take my bs before I ate (I tend to forget it a lot)
2. I chose to make sure I got the right nutrients for breakfast and lunch and didn't go over calories for lunch even with samples an eating out.
3. I chose to only have four samples at Costco out of the 12 or more that were offered me! And actually I chose the smallest ones I could and only ate 1/2 of two of the ones I got.

Small things I know...but it is moment by moment, attempting to make more good decisions than bad that will be the way I will reach my goal and keep this weight off. It will take me time because I am always learning, backtracking, relearning, doing a little better, back tracking a bit etc., and honestly because some days I care more than other days. But I am caring more days now than not and am more committed than ever and I will never give up as long as I have a mind and strength to choose because giving up is just not an option. Just thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

Last edited by maryea; 01-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #58  

I did pretty well today dispite eating lunch out. Ended with 1398 cal (edited as I made mistake) and 150 g net carb. Net to me is after subtracting 1/2 fiber if over 5. Still no exercise but all nutrition was good.

Last edited by maryea; 01-14-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #59  

maryea-Good for You! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on making good decisions. I definitely agree. I have made significant changes in the way I used to eat before I lost weight but I still have a ways to go.

My weight is back up today. Waaah. However, TOM started so I am sure that has something to do with it. TOM is very hit and miss anymore, but I guess I have an excuse for the extra pounds. On the other hand, I have no idea how I did this week but I guess I can assume I need to do better next week. I am still happy with myself for keeping track and trying to eat at a level to lose weight.

Last edited by TERAPET; 01-14-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #60  

Hello friends,

Happy Saturday everyone! I am tired after a really long day yesterday but I am going to fit into some weight lifting in small bursts throughout the day.

Marie, your "addiction" is lovely and quite an accomplishment.

I am a little frustrated at the lack of movement on the scale this week.

Here is yesterday's menu:

Breakfast: fiber one cereal (a full cup) with 1/2c almond breeze and sprinkle of ground flax, one small apple with PB2
Lunch:small boneless chicken thigh saute with one small onion, 3 stalks celery, one small zucchini, olive oil spray
Supper: small piece oven "fried" chicken, steamed broccoli, plan baked potato
One glass wine at tourney.
Evening Snack: 1/2c almond breeze, whole flax seed, chocolate pudding yogurt

1054 calories, 162 carbs, 50 fiber. 56 oz water

I did strength training and step aerobics on the wii for 45 minutes.

Mary, I liked the post about decisions. Last night there were people all around me eating fries, onion rings and various other bar food. It really smelled good in that really bad-for-you way. I didn't have any. It sounds like you are doing the same.

Tera, after TOM, you will get a whoosh.

Trish, so sorry about everything and I hope it gets better.

Later.

Rie
Closed Thread