Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~June Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? How about the 60 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #2  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi Everyone! Good Bye cold, wet, rainy May! June has got to be better, eh? I swear I have webbed feet & I don't even live at the coast. Participated in a walk to raise $$ for dog guides, sponsored by the Lions Club. This was our first annual walk & there were 21 of us walking, some without dogs & some with 2 dogs (like me). The "walkers" raised over $3,000.00 - thats really good for a small town! I have company coming for about a week so I won't be on the website. I will need to use ! You all have a great week & let's keep on keeping on, eh?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Finally got a few minutes to do the personals.

Bobbi ~ the gardens you have made sound beautiful ~ can’t wait to see some pictures. Glad the collar is helping your headaches.

Karen FL ~ glad you have your pool to enjoy when it gets so hot and humid. Is your face hurting less now?

Maryea ~ glad you had a nice visit with your Grandson ~ I understand also about enjoying getting to rest up after. I also can identify with how hard it is to be consistent ~ I struggle with that also and am up and down ~ I haven’t made much progress lately ~ just gaining and losing the same 5 pounds over and over again.

Zoe ~ glad you had fun in NH ~ sorry it was so hot and humid. The walks on the shady paths in the woods sounded nice.

Lynn ~ Glad you had a nice weekend. Sorry for the AC problems ~ hope they get the kinks worked out soon.

Freda ~ thanks for the tip of tasting a small bite and if it isn’t wonderful ~ not to have anymore. Sorry your BBQ was rained out ~ glad the tornado left you alone and you all are ok.

Rie ~ hope your knee is feeling better. Thank you for the tip on sweets and indulging only in small amounts. I will have to try, but sort of feel like I would rather have none than just a little teaser.

Rosey ~ enjoyed the pics you posted of your grandkids and wildlife. Glad you had a nice time with your grandkids. It is cool that you teach them cooking and sewing and crafts and got to enjoy your granddaughter’s music with her. Those will be good memories for all of you.

Donna ~ glad you had a good time at your family reunion. I agree with the others ~ I can’t imagine forgetting dessert ~ maybe I should try though ~ as desserts are what get me into trouble

NC Nancy ~ glad your swelling is better. That’s cool how your SO made the tripod thing for you. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your outfits.

Lyn ~ Glad you and DH are enjoying the bike rides.

Karen MO ~ hope all those horrible tornados are done with. Glad you and your family are ok. Have you gotten to enjoy your pool yet?

Sherry ~ congrats on the loss. Hope your weather dries up so you and Baxter can enjoy your walks with out getting soaked.

Tea ~ sorry the scale didn’t go down as you had hoped. Like you said ~ at least you didn’t gain. Hopefully next time that darn scale with go down for you. Cool that you were raising money for the the guide dogs. I saw a little boy one time on the Ellen show ~ he was from somewhere in Canada (can't remember exactly where ) he was raising money for dogs and an animal shelter ~ he was the cutest sweetest little boy.

I'm sorry ~ I have probably forgotten someone. I will have to try to get more another time. Almost bed time now.

Take care
Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello to June Golden Girls!

Well, we had our first sunny day in a long time here and we had a guest over for dinner. We had asparagus, artichokes, potatoes, mushrooms, and ribs - all cooked on the grill. It was yummy. I worked some of it off running around on the lawn with gs as he blew bubbles.

Zoe - Welcome Back! Sorry about the humidity but I envy you the walks in the woods. Yes, I put the entire candy in my mouth and let it melt away.... LOL

Lynn, my stomach also doesn't handle bad food. Especially, too much fat! I have this low grade craving for a greasy cheeseburger (formerly a staple food for me) and I keep thinking that I will have to have one soon. Then I worry that I will have to stay home for 24 hours because of the aftermath. Oh my goodness! Am I going to become one of those little old ladies with stomach issues????

Freda, I am with you on the "one bite" thing. I never would have thought that I could get there. I hope it stays. Although, typically, I have a one small serving, not just a bite, but it is progress. I have gotten pretty good at factoring the treats into my plan so I figure that I can have them.

Mary, hopefully you will get some rest and get caught up now. I am glad that you enjoyed gs visit.

Rosey, did you get any pictures of the bear?

Bobbi, thanks for starting the new thread. I love the sayings that you start us off with.

Karenfl, Sorry about your friend. Sometimes when folks are sick they get pretty wrapped up in themselves. I hope that you haven't had any more adventures with dangerous food!

My knee tolerated a 30 minute workout today so I was happy. I will stick with that for a week before I ramp up to my regular aerobics. Tomorrow starts pool league for the summer so I am excited about that. Have a great day!

Rie
Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Dreary day here. Waiting for the AC guy.

I have been having problems with acid reflux (my diagnosis). I went online to check out diet recommendations for GERD and found a possible cause of the problems – Dairy. I have been eating a lot of milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I’m going to try following these GERD recommendations for a few days and see if the discomfort eases.

Have a great day Everyone,

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffalot View Post
Participated in a walk to raise $$ for dog guides, sponsored by the Lions Club. This was our first annual walk & there were 21 of us walking, some without dogs & some with 2 dogs (like me). The "walkers" raised over $3,000.00 - thats really good for a small town!
Hi Sherry,
Good for you! CONGRATULATIONS! How far did you walk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
I also can identify with how hard it is to be consistent ~ I struggle with that also and am up and down ~ I haven’t made much progress lately ~ just gaining and losing the same 5 pounds over and over again.
Hi Gayle,
“Gaining and losing” the same 2 pounds is where I am in my diet life. I expect it will continue forever. The important thing is that we don’t let the gains continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Lynn, my stomach also doesn't handle bad food. Especially, too much fat! I have this low grade craving for a greasy cheeseburger (formerly a staple food for me) and I keep thinking that I will have to have one soon. Then I worry that I will have to stay home for 24 hours because of the aftermath. Oh my goodness! Am I going to become one of those little old ladies with stomach issues???? Rie
Hi Rie,
I REALLY know what you mean about cheeseburgers. Every once in a while – not more than once a month, I have a hamburger & I pay for it. I just really cannot do beef these days without problems.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 06-01-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
Had a pretty nice weekend. I even did pretty good on my eating, except for Sunday! I decided I had to go to the all-you-can-eat pizza place, & I was really, really hungry when we got there. I ate waaay too much - 8 pieces of pizza, 2 pieces of garlic bread, a cinnamon roll, a brownie, & a piece of apple dessert pizza! (It's sort of embarrassing to admit that!) Four hours later, I was still uncomfortably full (but happy!), but I was fine by bedtime. I’ve been wondering how I can eat that much at one time without getting sick, when I eat pretty small amounts the rest of the week. Well, I’ve come up with a theory: I think maybe all the water I was drinking every day (except pig-out day) was keeping my stomach stretched out. I guess, since I’m drinking lots less water now, I’ll soon find out if that was it! Oh, & my legs still aren’t swelling. Yay!

Can’t believe it’s June already! Got to get the calendars changed. It already feels like summer here, in the 90’s all week. At least it cools down at night.

I’d be here all day if I tried to say Hi! to everyone individually, so I’ll just say it to all of you collectively! I do want to mention a few things though. Gayle, I like your pics - you & Maddie, so pretty in pink! And, I somehow got the impression you weren’t organized, but from the looks of those shelves, you definitely are! And I like the way you decorated those boxes! Rosey, great pics from you too! I especially like the way your GD decorated those shoes - gives me ideas. It’s so nice to see the pics posted, it’s like a little glimpse into each GG’s life. Let’s all try to post more! I, for one, would love to see them.

Lots more I’d like to say, but I really need to get a nap. I’ll try to get back later.
NCNancy
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #7  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Sunshine!
It's suppose to rain tomorrow so today will be another lovely day outside. April and May are bad months for tornados and I pray for good June summer days for everyone, enough of these nasty storms. All my lilacs are in full bloom, I usually bring a big bunch in the house as they smell heavenly. I'm happy to say 6 nights in a row wearing a neck brace to bed, 6 mornings in a row without a headache. I've been looking into a "Trigger Point" therapist but none are available in Minnesota. They are far and few, I see a couple in Alaska and Florida and a few other states. Looks like about a dozen in all. If any of your grandkids are looking for a new avenue in college, they should look into starting this business.
I'm burning sunlight, have a great day.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! We did finally get the pool opened up. We started it day before yesterday and got the cover off. Gosh they are heavy! But we ended up doing the "doctoring up" on it and found out we still needed to get a few more chemicals that we had run out of so finished that up yesterday. We still need to unfold and treat the cover and then refold and put it away for the summer. It was supposed to rain yesterday so we didn't get it done but it looks like today might be a good day to get that done. Monday was so windy it was hard wrestling with the cover. Our water temp was 68* when we opened it, last night it was up to 72* so hopefully it won't take long. We are supposed to have 90* days for the next 5 days, that should help.

Gayle love the picture of you and Maddie. You both look so nice in pink. I'm still looking for a trike.

Rosey, love seeing pictures from you too. You are doing so good!

Nancy, I'm like you I love seeing pictures from everyone. I try not to overload them here but have bunches on facebook.

Bobbi, the tornado was very close to us. It was so dark outside and lots of rain and wind but we weren't hit by the tornado. But being as close as that was I'll bet the next time that a tornado siren goes off--I'll be headed down to my "woman cave"!!

Well, guess it is time to get this day started. Everyone have a great day!

Last edited by Karen31; 06-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Had a nice day off yesterday. The days don't always turn out like I expected, but that is ok. Usually the reason is that one of the kids stop by ~ and that is why I moved here after all ~ to get to see them more often. It is so much better than the lonliness of living far away from them.

Went for a nice bike ride in the morning, did the getting ready to go back to work stuff (laundry, made my fruit salad, packed lunch). Got my bedroom closet straightened up.

DH bought an umbrella for the deck. It swivels 360*, so we can move it to where ever we need it to be to give us shade at different times of the day. DS stopped by to visit and helped up put that together.

Next project for me is to get my sewing room straightened up. As I have been tackeling other areas, stuff has kind of found its way there and so it is kind of a mess right now.

Slowly ~ little by little I'm getting this place in order. About time ~ as we've been here 5 years now For me, I have found after living several places, that you kind of have to live there for a bit to know where you want to put stuff.

Ok, time to finish getting ready for work. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Take care
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

Oh, what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day! Yes,,i'm singing. Be glad you are not here! Yesterday was hot, mid 90's, but today is 75 and light breeze. Perfect for me. I'm going to try to get out side a lot, Actually, I have a lot of yard work that needs to be done. If the yard is not still soggy. I can always wait untill tomorrow. I guess it's time to get that pedicure that I've been waiting for. Went for a bike ride yesterday with DGD. It was good to get out. I notice i'm less balanced. I suppose it's just that I need to get used to it again. I had a small incident. my sandle slipped off and I hit my leg. Got a nasty bruise and a cut from that. My fault for not wearing tennies. When we got home DGD told DH and DGS that I fell. They ran in all concerned. Not a lot going on today, but i'm excited to get outside.

Bobbi, I'm so glad to hear that you are getting some relief from all those headaches that you were having. I don't know why the dr. didn't want you to wear the brace, but what ever works, works!

Everyone, make it a good day,

Freda
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #11  

Check out this link. The Picadilly Circus was scheduled to be in Joplin to do a show.. needless to say there is no place left to do a show right now so this is what they have been doing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NNmG_a46SlE

Pretty Cool if you ask me.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Good Morning!

It is sunny here, the lilacs are scenting the yard and I watched a robin this morning as I drank my coffee on the back steps. A cliche', I know, but it was lovely!

I had a peach greek yogurt for bfast this morning. 170 cals, 20 carbs, a really nice breakfast. And wow, it was rich and filling. As an individual portion, I will get more as an on the go breakfast. All this is an adventure for a Montana farm girl who was raised on meat and potatoes!

Freda, sorry about your bike accident. I am watching out for a bike at a garage sale this summer. I was thinking that I would start riding with my gs.

Gayle, it sounds like you had a nice and productive day off. Have a good day at work.

Karen31, oh, I envy you your pool. I know that it is work, but how lovely!

Bobbi, I am so glad that your neck is better. Tornados are scary. My son and dil had one touch down 1/2 mile from their house on Monday. Stay safe.

Nancy, well, one "pig out" is not the end of the world. Did you enjoy it? I agree with you about the pictures - I really enjoy them.

Lynn, good luck with the reflux. Be careful, though, many other problems can present as reflux.

Tonight is the first night of summer pool league so I am off to the pool hall after work. Have a great day!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #13  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, I'm a golden girl in the making. In 3 months I'll be 50 but I have a weird mind set when it comes to b-day's. After the 1/2 b-day, I consider myself at the next number since I round up. So after February, I was 49.5 and mathematically, we round so I'm 50. Mind if I join you all? I've been an occasional poster on the counter's 50 thread.

Little about me: I work FT for a school district (database manager/webmaster). That's the boring part of my life. The fun part is I'm a dog fanatic. I have 4 huskies. This year DH and I learned how to skijor (dog in harness tethered to me while we cross country ski. It was a blast. Better than downhill skiing (I'm a thrill seeker). So I bought a dog scooter this spring and have two of my huskies harnessed/tethered to the scooter with my on it. I admit the first time was scary. I, too, have a pool but the weather is too cold because of La Nina so although it is "open" it is not swimable. The water temp is ~68 degrees. I live in the desert where it's supposed to be sunny - we have solar heaters for the pool - but there's been very little sun this spring. I do, however, have my favorite birdies humming at the feeder. I love hummingbirds. Three years ago I started on my weight loss journey and made my goal last January. I've regained ~12 pounds and want it gone. I'm an exercise fanatic and thank goodness for that or I'd have gained more.

Rie, your mention of lilacs makes me want to go cut a bunch for my desk. Lilacs and orange blossoms are my favorite scents.

Freda, I've read that balance is something we lose as we age and have to work at it. If I didn't find yoga so boring, I think I'd have better balance. For now, I practice standing on one foot while brushing teeth, washing hands. Surprisingly, adding some balancing exercises when you can think of it helps. Of course, wearing tennies would have been good. I hope the bruise goes away quick.

Gayle, I find whenever I clean my craft room, I'm too pooped to craft once it's clean. Then it slowly gets messy again and the cycle starts again. Good luck on your sewing room.

Karen, I think jumping in your pool when it's 90 out will feel refreshingly cool. Aren't those winter covers a pain in the tush????

Bobbi, I grew up in MN. I hope the storms stay away from your area. Do you suffer from migraines? How does the neck brace help your headaches. BTW, taking a medical trip is a cool way to see a dr. you'd like to see as well as be in a new place. Alaska is beautiful this time of year. I've done medical tourism and it is pretty cool.

Nancy, your pig out day sounded yummy. I want the cinnamon roll, garlic bread and pizza. I don't know about you, but occasionally it is wonderful to feel stuffed.

Sherry, I LOVE that you walked for raising money for guide dogs. Watching a guide dog work is amazing.

Hi to everyone else, I need to work and I'm getting names confused...
Marie
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #14  

Hello everyone! I enjoyed reading your posts. With better weather, everyone seems in a a better mood too! It's still a little overcast and cool here but I notice the sun is out now and I know the forecast is for better and better weather. I stayed home from the gym in order to try and catch up around here but dh went. Guess that doesn't do me any good though does it. Anyway I spent most of the morning, doing the 1st of the month budgeting, talking to the bank about the loan we got for our son and also talking to him. The good news is that the taxes have come down so the payment has dropped a little and they are returning some of the escrow, looks like over $700! I called to tell our son he could use it to help him start making full payments and he said he is plans on making the full payments himself starting either July or Aug and if he gets the check he will send it to us!! Guess he's a pretty good son afterall. Of course it is still our loan but that will help us in our saving for a car and hopefully one of these days he can get the loan in his own name. The other possible good news is that we may be able to refi the loan but haven't yet been able to reach the sales agent to get all the details. I won't do this unless ds agrees but I think he will. So some good news on this financial issue!

I've got a load of wash in and have done most of my daily cleaning in between all the above. Still need to vacuum the kitchen floor but may wait til I get home from the grocery store since I want to mop it too. Our dd and her two little ones are coming next week so I want to be caught up with everything.

All the lilac talk has made me envious as I so want to have good smelling lilacs around my yard! Our new one flowered a bit then they dried up and no more and I can't smell any fragrance. The lilac tree hasn't yet flowered and it has almost no smell too. I won't quit trying though...I'm going to plant them until I get a good one. LOL

No time for personals right now. Have a good day.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #15  

Welcome Marie! Glad to have you with us. And yes, those covers are a pain!! Still need to get it all finished up. We were supposed to have rain today so we didn't try to get it done---so it has been sunny and hot all day!! Right now it is 88 degrees. Maybe we can get it doen tomorrow in the morning before it gets too hot. We are going to have to unfold it in sections to put the conditioner on it since we don't have a space available to stretch out the whole cover-- it is like 18' X 36'. We had the people that pool in in do it last year so this is our first time doing it ourselves. Thought it would be a lot easier if we could do it while it was still stretched over the pool but don't know if the "stowaway cleaner" would mess up the pool. I know a little would get in there even though we would try not to. Anybody have any ideas on how to make this easier to do??

Just looked on the weather channel and there was a tornado touched down in Springfield, Mass. Right now it looks like it is traveling towards Boston. Zoe, if you can let us hear from you. Stay safe!!!

Back to getting something figured out for supper. Be back later.....
Closed Thread