Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone! We did get gone this morning about 8:30 and have now landed for the night in Pratt Kansas. That is about the halfway point. We have a lot of wind but it is 78 degrees. So far not to bad but the diesel fuel is running about $3.05!! YUCK!!
I'll try to chat back later... right now I want to get a diet zero and relax a bit.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #92  

Hi everyone..boy did we get snow..about 18 inches,my dh shoveled all day yesterday and our friends came and plowed us out..sure hope the roads are ok for our trip to anchorage..well leave early and drive slow,my apt's at 2:15..phyliss glad to hear from you ..karen 31 safe trip..karen 3 sounds like agood reciepe..i always make the little pie tarts that my mom called tea time tassies.i posted the recipe..its not calorie friendly but they are tiny and yummy,zoe sry your diets making you uncomfortable,my bean soup makes me jet propelled..jess i have aproblem with portions too,i find its easier just to not have it in the house..lynn i can relate to feeling dependent on some things,its the story of my life now,some days im so greatful for the help and others im frustrated that i have to wait for help..but im here thats the most impt thing to me ..maryea safe trip Bobbie i love the dog picture.. for all and sry if i missed anyone. rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 100.jpg (39.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 099.jpg (41.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 097.jpg (25.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening alll....Just realized we haven't heard from Boobi about the doctor. Bobbi are you there and what did he say....hugs, karen3
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #94  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
To be honest, I feel less sure of myself since I retired from work. When I was working, I had a lot of decision-making authority for issues that I felt VERY confident about. Now, my decision-making is about appliances and water heaters and things about which I feel VERY ignorant. I end up turning to my DD and SIL, which in turn, makes me feel dependent.

Also, the fact that I had the loss of my job followed soon after with the loss of my DH feels like I lost the passions in my life. I try to keep busy with things I enjoy in an effort to get myself away from the TV and computer solitaire. I cannot say that I am sad. It is more that the ups and downs of my used-to-be roller coaster life have changed to be slower-paced and more level.
Lynn, I'm sure that there must have been a significant adjustment from being who you were at work to being who you are outside of, or without, work. I'm just glad that you have the capacity to travel about and enjoy some of the fruits of your years of hard work. I imagine that I'll have some difficulty adjusting as well, since I can hardly remember a time in my life when I wasn't working. I started working as a social worker for the state right after college graduation, and worked through the births of all four of my children, only taking 6 months or so off each time. In my present job, I certainly have some decision-making responsibilities, but nothing like I had for the 12 years before I came here (I've been here just over 10 years) when I was the deputy executive director of a huge multi-purpose social services agency. I had 250 employees reporting to me at one point. It was a super-energetic work environment, and there were days when I worked from 8:00 in the morning until late into the evening, attending various community events and functions. When I turned 52, I decided that I'd had enough of that particular rat race, and signed on to my present job where 90% of my time is spent writing, with just requisite meetings, and the occasional social appearance, which I attend grudgingly. So, I have taken things down a few notches over the past 10 years, but I DO think that I will continue writing after I retire - perhaps do a little contract work here and there, perhaps write that book that I've had simmering in the nether regions of my head for lo, these many years. My biggest adjustment, I think, is going to be living on a reduced income. My social security will be just a little less than half of what I currently take home, and I have yet to determine how I want to draw my pension. Also unclear on how to use savings - I'm used to *depositing* against a rainy day, and feel a little weird about withdrawing and watching balances go down, rather than up, you know? (Also feel a little stupid about my LACK of financial know-how).
Anyhoo, I thoroughly understand your feelings about dependency - and you with just that one chick. I have the 4, and love them as I do, don't want them making decisions for me. Although when it comes to hot water tanks and etc., I don't think I'd care whether I was an expert on those particular matters or not. Mostly, I wonder - have concerns about - who I am/who I will become as I grow older. I sometimes wish I felt wiser and more earth-mother-ish, but I just don't feel all that prepared yet for sucessful cronehood.
And that sums up a few of my rainy morning thoughts....
Eating poorly for the past few days. Hating the mirror. Hating that I still care enough to hate the mirror. There MUST be a point where we become old enough to accept who we are and how we look, right?
Rosey, I love your house! Would LOVE a place like that out in the woods away from the crowds, but NO SNOW!!!! Sooooo pretty, but I got shivers up and down my spine just looking at the pictures!
I slept pretty well last night, but STILL feel tired today. Ugh. Maybe I need to take Geritol! (Anybody remember those old TV ads? Geritol is probably half alcohol or something!)
Have a good day, y'all..

Z
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #95  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm here KarenFlo, thanks for asking. DH brought home some lovely flu/cold germs a couple of days ago and has been sick since. I pride myself in never getting a cold anymore, haven't had one since I retired 12 years ago. I feel the sniffles coming on and feel like I'm walking around in a daze. I'm going to fight it, take extra vitamin C, a bunch of Echinacea.
Yesterday at the doc's she pretty much said the same thing my chiropractor said, my Trapezius muscles are all knotted up, hard as a rock and it'll take weeks of therapy at a Health Reach center and muscle relaxers in the pill form before bed. I took my muscle relaxer pill before bed last night and it didn't even faze me, woke up with a terrible migraine headache in the night. After 3 weeks I have to come back to see if therapy has helped, if not I'll get shots for it. If I'd gone in 3 months ago when my muscles first got inflamed, I'd not be in this bad of shape. Geeez, you'd think I was a guy, DH has to be half dead before he goes in for anything.
Sorry, no personals today, I'm too tired and groggy. You all have a fun day.
P.S. Rosey, I love your log cabin too, did you and hubby build it yourselves, I love the peak over looking the deck.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-10-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #96  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
I'm clean and shiny and ready for anything the day brings...

Here's a recipe link, good for these wintery days: http://www.recipe4living.com/article...le_recipes.htm

Because of the economy and other circumstances, PT/Zoe, I'm now living on drastically-reduced income. It sucks, and I don't think it's going to get any easier. I don't feel like exercising, either, and I'm not sure you can look forward to that happening when you retire (but I'm glad it worked for you, Lynn!)!

Not a thing to report. I'm anxious to hear about Rosey's doctor's apptment. I hope things get moving quickly for you, Rosey, so you don't have to WAIT and wonder...... next year by this time, you'll be svelte! How exciting for you!

Everyone, hope your day is a good one! Be warm... and safe!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #97  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all,

Rosie, You live in Winter WonderLand! It's so beautiful. Not sure I could take all that snow, but it's so lovely. I'm sure a few hours of shoveling would change my mind about how lovely it was.

Bobbi, Sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well. How did you pull your trepesium muscle? That is a huge muscle and will take awhile to get the inflamation out. Get in there and get what ever it takes to take care of it! Hope you don't come down with a cold on top of everything else.

Z, I remember geratol. Everyone took it. And it do think it had a little alcohol in it. It might not make you better, but for a time you sure felt better! Like you, I don't think it's possible to know everything and I'm not upset that I don't know how to do everything. We all have out strengths and weaknesses. I do try to learn new things, but i'm not at all upset when I have to ask for help.

Karen31, Hope the weather holds for you, and you get there safe and sound. Gas is going up here too. It's 199.9 at most places and 300 at some.

Lynn, no one knows everything, and I never feel I need to. I always tell my patients "anything is easy if you know how, and hard if you don't". We're smart, we can learn! In the mean time, that's what family is for! You have such a knowledge of so many things, don't fret ovet the things you don't know.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 11-10-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....I have been on the go since early this am. Had therapy then bridge and then nail appt. Life in the fast lane and home just about time to turn on head lights. Fixed the car clock and didn't need the book to turn on the headlights! Sunset here is still around 7pm.

Dh is so happy with his little pecan pies. he is only eating 2or 3 aday. Thats 86 to 108 calories for a treat.

Well our cold spell is over. Hopefully. Love looking at your winter weather and love my memories of winter, just don't wanna do that no more. I brought one winter coat to Fl with me and have not had it out of the closet since....could be dry rotted by now....huuuuuummm will check tomorrow.

Gerital had a lot of alcohol in it. Lidia Pinkum's pills were pure heroin. Our Victorian grandparents were often skunked. They made up"sugartits" for babies to suck dipped in paregoric which is tincture of opium. Most tonics were 60 to 80 proof. But like my grandmother who didn't "drink" anything with alcohol in it unless it was an orange blossom full of juice(and gin). She never got high just tittleled. Don't even start on the Spring tonics...gesh I can remember as kid patients coming to my Dad for a tonic. His didn't work as good as the homemade ones that had kerosene as a base. And cough meds with terpentine base.

Bobbi...hang in there and do the therapy. Had my last one today. Can't not believe that 3 months ago I couldn't drive myself there. Barely walked in the door. Gone from pain at a 10 to No Pain! Do exactly what they tell you and don't quit. Migraines are basically conjestion of too much blood into vessels in your head....i found years ago a really hot do..che would relieve some of the pain. At least helped enough that I could stand a lamp turned on. Pills just left me drooling and stumbling around aware of the pain but who cared. blah

Lynn....Wednesday night. Survivor.......please please get rid of Marty or Na Onka.....please!

Freda gas here is at 2.79 and rising.

hugs karen3
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Well, we made it fine and we are all set up in a RV campground in Colorado Springs. We didn't run into any snow but I know that may change tonight!! I thought that I would put on a few pictures since we are settledfor the next three nights. The first one is Ginger and Sissy on the back seat of the truck. They have short leashes that attach to the seat belt and they were very happy for the whole trip. The next ones are Tim and then me inside the 5th wheel. Got my little desk all set up! Then the last one is showing that bedrail that I bought so that the dogs didn't jump off the foot of the bed. It is about a 3 foot drop and wouldn't not be a good thing!!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know we made it..Just had sone supper and I'm going to grab a cup of coffee---this cold weather is COLD!!!!

Have a great night and I will try to get to personals tomorrow.. Looks like we may get some snow and I will have plenty of time after the meeting with Mike and the staff tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3534.jpg (21.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3535.jpg (29.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3538.jpg (27.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3540.jpg (26.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #100  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Happy Veteran's Day! Or, is that not an appropriate thing to say? Well, I hope all the veterans out there will enjoy the day, anyway. As for the rest of us, well, I guess we can enjoy not getting any mail or going to the bank. The kids, of course, get to stay home from school. As for the rest of us, well, I, for one. am working just like usual. Sitting here in my office, anyway. Just ate one of my super-healthy bran muffins with Chia seeds, dried apricots, dates, cranberries and walnuts. Sooooooo good. And yet I'm thinking here about what else I have in my lunch sack (not much). I don't know what's wrong with me lately - I feel like I used to feel just before I would get my period. Haven't had that in seven or eight years, now, and haven't had the munchies like I've had 'em lately. Auuuuurrrrgh. I MUST hold out until it's time for my lunch soup & pita bread!
I bought these shoes for myself yesterday - in the black & gray version. I'm wearing them today, and they are SO comfortable! http://www.zappos.com/trotters-jewel...e-001b2166c62d I LOVE, love, LOVE them! Okay, so isn't it sad for a 64-year-old woman to get happy over a pair of shoes? Sometimes I really annoy the smushedyfudge out of myself, you know? They really are perfect, though - and I wear a lot of black & gray (with brighter touches in scarves and pins and such) so they won't sit in the closet by any means. NOT that I deserved new shoes, you understand. They weren't any sort of reward for good (diet) behavior. Au contraire...I think they were more like *comfort* shoes, as in, "There, there....see? You're still in the same SHOE size; all is not lost!"
Ack. Another week. Thanksgiving nearly here (omigawd. What am I going to DO?) then Christmas....haven't done a smigeon of shopping yet, either. I have no idea what to get anybody this year. But that's pretty much the case every year...
Oh, PT, yeah. Weird, isn't it? When I was younger, I figured by the time I hit 40 I would be financially secure and spend my remaining years in comfort. Then I hit 50, got divorced, remarried, my (current) DH retired early, and here I am, still working, and just hoping to be able to survive once I retire, never mind live in comfort. I don't know what it is that I never managed to figure out when it comes to finances, but there must be something, because I see plenty of people who are pretty darned comfy, no matter what the economy does. My job isn't dependent, exactly, on the economy, but I'm still far from rolling in dough, and I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like with half of my monthly income. Of course, my commuting expenses will disappear, and I'll no longer need any new clothes (unless I just blow off my diet once and for all, which I'm pretty sure won't happen)....and my car will be paid off, and I won't need a new one just to schlep back and forth to do my grocery shopping and such. But I think (although I'm not positive) that I'd like to do a little traveling - maybe would like to see Greece, maybe Italy, maybe someplace else...I dunno. I'd like to be ABLE to, anyway. Of course, there are many things I'd LIKE to have/do....big deal. I may just start wearing long, mu-mu-like creations and declare myself "head crone in charge" (of what, I have no idea). I could live out in the woods somewhere (somewhere that doesn't get much snow) and take up woodcarving and making soup from herbs and wild roots and such. Tsk.
Okay, back to reality, here. Bobbi, I am sending you the healingest vibes that I know how to send! I just purely hate thinking of you being in all that constant pain! It sounds like our Karen(3) has gotten hers under control (for which I am very grateful) so I'm hoping that yours can be managed as well. You made me laugh, Karen3, with your description of those Victorian "medications". Lots of women back in those days had to retire to their rooms whilst suffering from "the vapors". Vapors, indeed. Many of them, in order to live with those boorish husbands of theirs, stayed pretty much in an alcoholic fog. Southern ladies - wives of the owners of those big plantations that grew cotton and worked slaves to death - took laudanum regularly, which I believe was heroin as well, right? And they say our modern times created the *drug problem*!! Hah.
Your fifth wheel (Is that what they call them? Why?) looks very comfortable, Karen31. I hope you enjoy your visit with your son.
Hiya Freda, Lynn, Gayle, Rosey, et al. Hope all are enjoying this quiet Thursday morning!

Z
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #101  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
It was 65 degrees yesterday, balmy for us in November. My niffles/flu was short lived, only lasted about 8 hours. We both had flu shots so maybe that's why it was short lived.
Today I'm making an Elk meatloaf that has apples and oats in it, we have so many stewed apples in the freezer and I alway look for recipes that uses them. I made DH some applesauce cookies that I keep nibbling on, gonna have to glue my mouth shut.
Freda...I don't have a clue how my upper back/shoulder muscles got so knotted up. I think it's a mixure of lifting weights, sitting at my computer desk with poor posture and not sleeping in a good position. Chiropractor said sleeping with my arms over my head is not good. The medical doctor said my posture wasn't good, she kept pointing my chin down and in. I sit at my computer with my chin up and out? I have to keep reminding myself to sit differently. I woke up about 3 months ago with a stiff neck, then the migraines started. You're guess is as good as mine on why I'm so inflamed.
Quote:
Bobbi, Sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well. How did you pull your trepesium muscle? That is a huge muscle and will take awhile to get the inflamation out. Get in there and get what ever it takes to take care of it! Hope you don't come down with a cold on top of everything else.
KarenFla...My first therapy appointment is tomorrow so not sure what I'm in for. Yes, I'll go as often as I need to. Unfortunately it's a 25 mile round trip and probably 3 times a week according to doc. I laughed out loud when I read about the hot douche...does that really work?
Karen...happy to hear you had a safe trip, can you drive the pick-up with the 5th wheel yourself?
Donna...thanks for posting the recipe site. I love looking at recipes and trying them out, making them calorie friendly. I'm not so sure I'd do that if I was single like you.
Zoe...you certainly have had a busy career. It might take some serious adjusting for you to retire. Maybe you can start doing it gradually, that's what I did. I started cutting my hours down to a couple days a week before I finally quit. What Bliss!
Rosey...enjoy your winter wonderland, you could make neat Christmas cards with those pictures. I have 3 different programs to make greeting cards, usually I put the dogs picture on the Christmas cards. Do you make your own cards? Hallmark has a really good program you install, goes right on your desktop for easy access.
Lynn...you are the most positive person I know that has endured so many ups and downs with your health and loss of hubby. I get a little envious of all your trips abroad and your side trips around your area, good restaurants and history seeking sites. I think your are remarkable.
Quote:
I try to keep busy with things I enjoy in an effort to get myself away from the TV and computer solitaire. I cannot say that I am sad. It is more that the ups and downs of my used-to-be roller coaster life have changed to be slower-paced and more level.

Hi Gayle, granny, Mary.
I got to quick like make DH a grocery list, he's leaving right now.....see ya everyone.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-11-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #102  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Yeah ~ I got up and headed right out for a walk this morning. I hope I can get in the habit of doing it like that every morning. Do it before I get taken up with something else. The longer I wait in the day, the less apt I am to do the exercise.

Be back later. Hope you all are having a good day.

Take care ~ Gayle
Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #103  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
It's chilly (cold!) here, and there's about 1/4" of snow visible on the fence top. I don't think KarenMO will have much problem with her trip, weatherwise!

PT/Zoe, I don't know exactly what happened. Until the stock market bellied up a couple of years ago, things were good, and I didn't have any worries about money. Now, though, I'm of an age where no one is interested in hiring me. My business is very economy-driven, so it's gone way, way down. I'm at about 1/2 my income, social security won't give much (worked in the public sector for years and didn't contribute to social security), and I still have a mortgage! If anyone has $35,000 they'd like to donate, I'd take it! I know I'll be okay. I'm always okay! But it's a concern!

Rosey, what happened with the doctor's appointment? Is this a go for you????? Do tell!

Bobbi, I hope you're feeling better soon!

All of you diagnosticians out there: last night, I had waves of pain in my big toe (on the count of 6, I finally determined, zap! a stinging pain), which kept me awake all night. I knotted up, anticipating it. Aleve didn't do a thing. I know, if it's gout, that I shouldn't take aspirin. What is this?? Can I send my foot along with you to therapy, Bobbi?

Hello to all.... Stay warm and dry, everyone! Be safe!

Last edited by jess1; 11-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #104  

Hi everyone im home..actually we got home about midnight and boy was i pooped..ok wont keep you all in suspence taaaadaaaaah i get my surg..they are scheduling it today probably in about 2 weeks..this visit was like dr jeckel and mr hyde..the dr could not have been nicer,hugged me told me what a great job ive done,,we dicussed the things that could happen and answered alot of my questions..he considers me a hi risk patient becuz of my age,previous sug,and medical issues but he said yes he said a prayer overme and left..i was speechless..i asked about the 1st meeting and if it was a ploy to make me angry and determined..he had a twinkel in his eye and knodded..it worked and ive lost another 5 #,,now on a trip up to anchorage the rd where marginal..we had a flat tire going thru the mts..ugh..we changed the tire but realized it was a fake fairy donut tire,,it was suppose to be a normal spare but when we bought the car we didnt check..so we had a temp tire and over 100 miles to go thru the mts. we drove about 40mph..was worried we have another break down and also be late for dr apt..anyways we made the apt by 3 min and sat and waited as the dr was over booked..my apt was at 2pm and we saw him at 4:30..we went and got the tire fixed and ended up getting 4 new tires ouch on the pocket bk..we had dinner and headed home..it was raining in anch turning to sleet then snow and blowing wind then back to rain and then clearing as we drove thru the mts..we got home late and i was so glad to be home..and im going to stay put today..thanks for liking my house..we built it ourselves,even cut the logs ourselves..i love my house,its a work in progress lol,hope your day is going great ((((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 11-11-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #105  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Yea Rosey ~ what good news ~ so excited for you
Closed Thread